AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

#270

Ratings: 6,939 |  Reviews: 1,723
4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

4.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 11/19/14

A: Pitch black with a huge three to four finger head. The head was dark tan in color and left nice lacing as it dissipated.

S: Pretty standard imperial stout aromas, chocolate, coffee, some booze. Even getting some dark fruits as it warmed.

T: Dark fruits, lots of coffee, some dark chocolate, roasted malts, a little booze.

M: Pretty full in body, low carbonation, somewhat bitter on the back end but overall pretty smooth.

O: Fantastic imperial stout, insanely drinkable for 12%.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%

4.61/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

a deep brown/black with 3 fingers of fluffy tan head which dissipated slowly leaving behind a ton of great lacing. smells of chocolate, coffee, raisinets, vanilla, cedar, licorice. the flavor is mostly chocolate and coffee with a nice roasted grain bitterness. there is a harsh boozy feel up front but that mellows out as the drink warms up. molasses, caramel, nutty, bitter roastyness lingers.
full body with a silky smooth mouthfeel, low carbonation. a really nice all around imperial stout. definitely lives up to the recent hype (even though this beer seems to have been around forever!).. definitely worth trying at least once (and i'd suggest picking up an extra bottle to age)

Opaque, deep black with a thin topping of beige. Despite the thin head, there's quite a lot of lacing on the glass.

Booze, molasses and coffee dominate the aroma. The coffee is somewhat sharp, way at the top end of the aroma, with the alcohol permeating throughout. A bit of american hop sharpness, but the smell is mainly malt driven with some pretty heavy alcohol overtones.

Very dense in texture and flavor. This one sits on your tongue pretty heavily, like a black brick. Laconic molasses and coffee, with a pronounced boozy bite in the finish. Quite a bit of bittersweet black malt. Some hop bitterness in the finish, but it's mostly alcoholic warmth and a trace of fine-toothed clove esters. Relatively clean, without the bevy of dark fruit esters that you'd commonly find in a stout of this size. The coffee is evident, but blends well with the heavy malt. I like that the coffee isn't screaming through the beer. It's sort of an added statement. Super dense body, with surprisingly vibrant carbonation that keeps it from getting sludgy. I bet I can taste this beer on the back of my tongue hours later. The hops are buried under the malt, but there's really quite a lot of bitterness here. The boozy finish starts to feel really hot after a 12oz glass, and I'd decline a refill in favor of something mellower. This is a well-made fancy bottle that I associate with mid-aughts west coast brewing. I think that the rest of the country has caught up with this style of brewing and offers a fresh new take, but this beer was good in 2005 and continues to be. It just isn't at the top of the heap with so much competition from around the world now. A bit one-dimensional and pretty heavy handed. It seems like criticism, but singularity has a place.

I've certainly had straight imperial stouts with more coffee present, despite the fact that no actual coffee was used in the brewing process. In this beer, the coffee was used judiciously as an accent to an already bold brew. I tend to avoid coffee beers, as they simultaneously make me lethargic and alert. I'm glad to have tried this, but I doubt I'd crave it again.

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

750mL bottle into tulip. there is some sort of laser coding towards the crown, but I cant make out what it is.

A: just a shade under pitch black. frothy brown head is massive. retention is good with a coat of lacing left behind.

S: some coffee, but not as in-your-face as I expected/wanted. slightly umani-like. smells dry. tons of dark, dark chocolate. roasty and inviting.

T: starts sweet, boatloads of chocolate. I find it more chocolate focused than coffee. I know coffee aroma/flavor can diminish over time and seeing that I have no idea how old this bottle is perhaps that could be the cause. lots of tobacco in the finish. bitter dark chocolate.

M: carbonation is spot on. smooth and silky is just what this massive body needs.

D: simply put, a really good stout. drinks more like a bottle of wine than a beer. certainly tasty, however I was hoping to be a little more blown away here. I suppose I blame that on the hype around this brew. regardless, always worth drinking, find it, buy it, drink it.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours an opaque black with a luscious coffee head into a snifter. Dissolves into a thin layer shortly after the aggressive pour.

Aroma is strong of coffee with some roasted malts, oak and a little earthiness.

Coffee plays the leading role in the flavor. The initial palate hit is of strong bitter coffee rounding into an earthy hop bitterness. Presence of oak and a slight bit of vanilla I also detect.

Mouthfeel is good and creamy. This is a coffee stout no doubt about it. Not even remotely close to too sweet. Low carbonation levels and it got better as it warmed.

I don't like a whole lot of AleSmith brews with the exception of this. Always glad when a bottle of Speedway comes my way as it's way way too drinkable for a 12% big stout. It tastes better than the coffee I have every morning, but would probably get me fired from work if I make it my normal go to beverage.

4.23/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.64/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 10/16/13. Poured 11/16/14. I got this in Wisconsin in July. Finally cracked it open.

Appearance: Aggressive pour brought on a slow forming brown head that wound up being three fingers in height. This stout is pitch black with nothing getting through the glass. The lacing is really great -- plenty of it all over the glass.

Smell: Everything you'd want from an Imperial Stout: lots of chocolate and roasted malt. There's some coffee character in there, but that aroma accents more than anything. I don't get any kind of dark fruits on the aroma, but I do get a caramel quality and a plain cake doughnut sort of smell that I usually pick up in high ABV stouts -- especially BBA'd ones. I know, I'm weird.

Taste/feel: Absolutely delicious. The taste is almost exactly like the aroma, and I have zero problems with that. The mouth feel is fantastic... not super heavy, but pretty full-bodied, with a light carbonation. It feels like chocolate milk in beer form. Lots of smooth milk chocolate flavors coming through in this beer with caramel malts... the finish is some roasted malt and coffee with a little much needed bitterness that balances out the initial sweetness. I don't really get any dark fruit flavors to speak of... this reminds me of a more balanced Chocolate Manifesto. Speedway Stout still remains a somewhat sweet Imperial Stout overall, but then again it is 12% ABV.

Excellent, and the best I've had from the style (as of this review, of course). Worthy of every bit of the praise it receives.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company