Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

#268

Ratings: 6,907 |  Reviews: 1,715

4.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.55/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

So perhaps its unfair for me to review as I have yet to have a coffee stout that I really enjoyed, but I have heard such rave reviews about this one and thought it was worth a try and it would maybe be a game changer for me. It poured beautifully. Totally black with a huge dark khaki head that held up for quite a while. The nose was dark sweet malts, some cocoa, gas station coffee, milk chocolate, no hints of alcohol. The taste was sweetened dark chocolate, maybe some charred/smoky marshmallow, but it was dominant coffee flavor that turned me off. Admittedly it grew on me as the beer warmed but I still found it to be too one noted and too much like cold gas station coffee for me. No traces of the 12% alcohol. All that said, it felt fantastic going down - rich, smooth and thick without being cloying. I really wanted to love this beer as it is clearly well crafted and highly regarded, but the single noted coffee flavor was too much for me to get past and really enjoy.

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

4.36/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- I poured it with a rather large 2" head, and man did that stick around. The head itself is darker than 80% of beers on the market, and the beer underneath is essentially black.

S- The first thing you are going to pick up on when you smell this stout is the coffee. Rich dark coffee is immediately apparent. Great smell, and lets you know the power of the beer you're about to consume. Absolutely great smelling.

T- I love the taste of this beer. Delicious and smooth, it is sweet and embraces you with the warmth of the hefty 12% ABV. Afterward a chocolate taste sticks around along with a warmth at the back of your mouth...

F- I guess I started to go into the way that the beer feels in the last section, but I will reiterate that it leaves a warm sensation in your mouth which is incredible. The feel of this beer in your mouth is a great one. Not very carbonized at all, as you might expect with a Stout like this, but that's okay. For how thick this beer is, bordering on syrupy, the amount of bubbles is just right.

O- Overall I thought this was a great Stout. I'm not a big fan of stouts, so I decided to try this one as I had been told it is the cream of the crop when it comes to stouts, and I was not let down. This beer is a great representative for Stouts, and if I were a Stout guy, this would be a 5 hands down for me.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company