AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

#273

Ratings: 6,893 |  Reviews: 1,713
4.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The stout poured a dark black color with a slight mocha colored head along the sides of the glass.

Smell - Coffee was a huge part of the aroma. One might detect the malts or chocolate in the aroma as well.

Taste - The coffee jumps out in the initial taste. Notes of dark chocolate and dark fruits are also present. There is a certain level of tartness to the taste, but everything else about this beer is bold. The stout finishes with dry malts and coffee. It seems fitting that the coffee is warming while going down.

Mouthfeel - This one is thick and coats the tongue nicely. It will be a while before the taste of this one leaves your mouth.

Overall - The is definitely on the higher end of the Imperial Stout spectrum.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

4.56/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 Bottle have multiple. Thought I'd crack one to see what it's like decently fresh.

A - Beautiful dark motor oil with a khaki half inch foam head. Very thick and syrupy and seemed to crawl out of the glass.

S - Amazing smelling beer with strong hints of coffee and chocolate as well as roasted malts. Had some strong hints of alcohol as well as minor hints of vanilla and carmel.

T - Taste follows the smell as a huge mouthful of coffee and chocolate hit you hiding the alcohol very well. Very rich and very much a sipping beer that was also very drinkable. Split between 4 people. Booze well hidden with he chocolate prevalent throughout. Vanilla came out as it approached 60 degrees

M - Full bodied thick with molasses. Rich and creamy with a medium amount of carbonation. Aging a bottle for a year or two will do this one wonders it seems as I approve of the creamier less carbonated wale stouts.

O - An awesome beer and glad that I have more. Can't wait to try my next bottle in a year or so to see what aging does to this gem. For the price this beer is amazing and I suggest snatching it up anywhere you can. You do not feel like you are wasting a top 50 beer in the world for the price but the quality and taste make it a top 10 for myself

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

A bottle I received as a gift from a friend doing a cross country trip. This was bottle in April of 2013 and cellared for six months.

The beer makes a big chugging sound as it pours from the bottle and pours dark as night. The head appears a bit delayed in forming, but then builds up a crest of about two fingers of foam. The foam is bubbly and thin.

The smell is simply delightful and offers a lot to contemplate. Surprisingly, the first notes I get are those of sweet dark fruit like raisins, prunes and dates. Coffee, chocolate and maltiness intermingle beneath the fruit aroma and a sweet caramel or toffee pops up too. On smell alone this beer has me blown away.

The coffee finally hits you as you'd expect on the taste, coming in with an initial roast been flavor that cedes to the sweet fruitiness reminiscent of red wine and malt profiles.

The mouthfeel is pleasant, smooth and creamy and aside from a slight burn and coffee bitterness at the finish, this beer drinks smooth and easy.

A great beer this is and I'm determined to track down more and get a hold of some of the variations.

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served from the 750ml bottle into a globe glass...

Pours a opaque black with purplish brown edges, 1 finger head forms that will build quick if poured too aggressive. Tan foam that drops off to sticky foam on the sides of the glass, a foam layer and a nice ring around the glass. So far, so good.

Smells of dark chocolate, roasted grains, coffee and a little alcohol. As with some other beers I've tried, I'm surprised by the lack of aromatics sometimes but I know it doesn't always mean something bad.

The first sip is dark chocolate, roasted grains, mocha, maybe some vanilla, a little hop presence and the alcohol at the end.

Smooth mouthfeel, medium to thick body that I loved just moving around as I tasted. Not much carbonation, which is fine. Finish is a little on the dry side, with the chocolate, roasted grains, mocha and the alcohol burn at the end.

Overall, this is one damn fine stout and I will definitely pony up the $$$ for more. While I still have a lot to learn about this style, this stout in particular is currently in my top spot and Alesmith's reputation is safe on my account.

Cheers

4.41/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Speedway.. I'm sorry. I tried you several years ago when I was a very inexperienced beer person.. I didn't like "coffee" in my beers.. You were bitter and difficult to finish. But I've learned. I've learned so much. About me. About you. And I want to apologize. You're wonderful. You're delicious. You're cold, black and strong, just the way I like em. Please forgive me. I love you.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company