AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

3.75/5  rDev -14.2%

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.28/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This will be the second most expensive beer I ever purchased at 14 dollars a bomber, somehow I justified the 7 dollar 12oz pours, and also wanted to make this my Forth of July review. Also wanted to mention dispite the huge ABV this beer has excellent lacing.

A - Into my Unibroue tulip it pours well over an inch of deep creamy looking mocha head. Beer itself is a respectable pitch black very thick and also creamy.
S - First thing that jumps out at me is the interesting tango between anise and roasted coffee. Leading the back of each sniff I get some vanilla bean, espresso, and a strong sense of bakers chocolate.
T - Well damn it took forever for the head to go down a note not to pour so hard. First taste A very strong nip of anise and roasted malts, sort of stingy I never tasted anything like it. As I dive deeper I do get a pronounced dark chocolate, very rich and bitter coca, and fresh ground up coffee beans which in turn are also bitter. I do like after a few sips the acidic tone of the coffee rounds out a bit. As it warms though the flavors of anise take a backseat, the coffee also looses some sting, and the chocolate seems a bit sweeter. Really complex.
M - Very creamy and smooth. Goes down very smooth once it warms. Very velvety flavors.

Overall I could see how this would deserve such praise the coffee is strong and acidic like sting yet rounds out perfectly with the chocolate malts and anise after it warms. The ABV is so smooth I have had 7% stouts heavier in alcohol than this. Get it again though? Not sure I would justify a second since I am not rich but I would totally love to try it again on tap in the future. Just to see it taste even better.

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%