AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Ratings: 6,846 |  Reviews: 1,703

3.5/5  rDev -19.9%

4.71/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Opened at a tasting alongside the BA and Kopi versions. Pours a deep, dark black color; very dark brown tints the edges when held close to a light. The cap forms - creamy, small, fine, and a shade just lighter than tan. Initially, Speedway doesn't look quite as oily thick as I was expecting it to be, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The aroma is very smooth on the nostrils, flowing with a river of roasted coffee beans - more on the sweet, creamy, and milky side of things, with a nice roasted quality acting as the strong backbone. Chocolates bounce in and out, never really pushing the coffee aromas to the side, rather blending with them softly in a "mocha java" kind of way. For one of the first times ever, I'm picking up a big marshmallow flavor - creamy, and toasty, a slight touch of char even, but I'm definitely getting marshmallow, and it's absolutely wonderful.

Just from the aroma, my palate is already expecting a big-time roasted coffee flavor, and that's exactly what Speedway delivers. Coffee beans attack the palate, slightly oily and definitely roasted - almost to the point of being charred or burnt. What I love about this is that the coffee flavor in Speedway is so unique - so definitively roasted, bitter, and sweet all at the same time, with an incredibly distinct pungency to it - it's amazing.

There is a good amount of cocoa in the taste, much more than on the nose, and it introduces a deep fudge flavor that plays with the fine line between bitter and sweet so well. And hot damn - that fuckin' marshmallow - I can actually taste it. Now, I don't know what exactly would produce that marshmallow taste/aroma, but it's definitely there. 100%. I thought maybe my nose was tricking me, but my mouth is saying the same thing. Lightly creamy on the finish with some bittersweet fudge and fading coffee. Heavy, oily body, silky and smooth with pretty moderate carbonation.

This is a fantastic stout. Despite being comprised of the tastes found in many stouts - chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, etc. - the raw flavors are unique and definitely set Speedway apart from the rest. Not to mention that incredible toasted marshmallow flavor I was picking up. Are you serious?! Call me crazy, but between this beer, the barrel-aged version, and the Kopi coffee variant, this one was tops for me. Hey - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3.67/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Shared a bottle with my wife. She had brought this home on a work trip to Portland, OR.

This is a 2011

The beer is black with a thick tan head. As I drink from my goblet it leaves nice lacing despite the high abv.

the nose is subtle coffee is there but just as much as the alcohol. I was a little durprised given the age, I expect a lack of coffee but the alcohol I did not expect. Overall not bad but certainly nothing to write a beer review about.

The taste is much better than the nose. This beer was pulled from the cellar(aka basement), aprox 55 degrees, This is a perfect temp. It starts ever so slightly sweet but quicky as the name indicate becomes a mix of roast, chocolate and coffee. Unlike many in this category, well known stouts, it is less sweet and finishes dry with a lingering roastyness.

Despite the alcohol on the nose the beer is very drinkable, dangerously so. Overall if this was a beer in 4 or 6 packs at a resonable price it would be a go to, however to compare it to say old rasputin or better yet FBS, I would likly chooose those for price and taste reasons. A great beer but not outstanding

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

4.16/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Black as night, what little head forms is crushed by alcohol.

Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, lightly burnt malts, espresso, and heavy cream.

Dark malts, dark roasted coffee grinds, bakers chocolate, and a surprising amount of hops really show through in this. Leaves a somewhat citrus coffee mouth feel covered in pounds of dark chocolates and roasted flavors. A hair expensive but a worthy treat. Now what to serve with it? Jerky was not optimal.

This is a big beer, but lets be honest in the world of barrel aged beers like bourbon county stout, this beer seems rather small. The alcohol however is NOT small and it adds a warning with every drink as it warms the whole body.

This is a really really nice stout, but given beers like Narwal, founders breakfast stout, founders imperial stout....I just don't think this lives up to the hype. Most likely that's just a sign of the times and how brewers are more and more able to improve on the past. Still a worthy beer even at the 12.99 price tag I paid.

Edit from a second tasting but the real weakness in this beer is the high ABV or perhaps just the brewing style leaves a somewhat thin mouth feel which is really hurting this one. I think my first time through I was disappointed and didn't realize where the problem was.

I'm moving the Taste score up to 4.25 from 4 and dropping the feel from 4.25 to 3.75. Also dropping the look score to 4.5 from 4.75, it's a bit light around the edges but upping overall to 4.25 from 4.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company