AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Ratings: 6,847 |  Reviews: 1,703

Excellent.

I haven't written a review in a while, but for this I'll make an exception.

Speedway pours the expected opaque deep chocolate brown, bordering on black. A caramel colored head forms but dissipates rather quick. As you go, it leaves quite a bit of sticky lacing on the sides of your glass.

The smell is top-notch. Notes of roasted chocolate, caramel, coffee and molasses are all here.

Taste is bliss. Smoothly comingled flavors of chocolate, roasted malts and coffee play out on the palate. Only slightly hoppy, with plenty of malt to smooth things out, this comes in somewhere between a Russian Imperial and an American Double stout: a really tasty place.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Smooth, not resinous or viscous but just thick enough to warn you of its potency. The alcohol is there, but never overwhelms as it provides a nice warming tone going down.

Drinkability. Send me more, much more. Keep it coming. Thank heaven I had two friends help me with the bottle or I might not have remembered much of the evening.

Having tried their IPA and Yulesmith previously, Speedway has put Alesmith firmly on the top of my favorite brewers list. A trip to San Diego is in order.

UPDATE: Had a second bottle of this about 6 months after the first. Every bit as good as the first. And, after some consideration, I've decided to get it over with and make it the first beer I 5-out. I love this stuff.

Wyllder-

I am a Clevelander, and an unabashed Great Lakes Brewing Company fanboy. Their year-round selection and varying seasonal brews are enough to satisfy my love of beer. We don't have a tremendous number of retailers with a big microbrew selection, so I am lucky that I can stop at any supermarket in the area, buy a sixer of Great Lakes, and enjoy a good craft brew.

All that said, the AleSmith Speedway Stout is the second beer experience I have ever had that has given the lie to my delusion that GLBC can be the sole provider of my craft beer. (The first was Stone Double Bastard Ale.)

Speedway Stout tastes better than the best coffee or espresso I have ever had. This beer's refinement is absolutely immediate: it doesn't require any kind of contemplation, its lovely, balanced bitterness comes so naturally that it hardly tastes like the result of brewing science: it FEELS like coffee, like the synthesis of pure water and the most sublime flavor that nature has to offer.

It is bittersweet, deep, nuanced, and drinkable. I cannot come up with a single flaw, and I am a profoundly pessimistic individual. This brew is truly one of the most outstanding craft brew offerings I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company