Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

#267

Ratings: 6,907 |  Reviews: 1,715
3.33/5  rDev -24%

Finally! I get the chance of trying this one out. Purchased off the shelf on 12-29-12

A: pour is completely black, and it pours a massive 2-3 fingers worth of frothy dark mocha head formation. the lacing is very nice and the nice bubbly film layer remains once the head dies down

S: alcohol soaked dark fruits, bitter dark chocolate, robust coffee grounds, alcohol burn, slight touch of tobacco. very nicely balanced brew.

T: alcohol, bold coffee, chocolate and more alcohol are pretty much the main players. leather, slight tobacco, and a burnt/smokiness is also present. in all honesty, I get only a slight sweetness....mostly during the burps!

M: for as dark as this beer is. i find it much too light. i find much too light and the alcohol destroys any nice flavors that could be left on the palate, its felt all over the upper gums, cheeks and palate.. i suppose there is a slight bitter dark chocolate but, i really have to pull for it.

O: im utterly shocked. for receiving such high reviews, this brew is extremely underwhelming. its an alcohol bomb....flat.... for being such highly ranked, i expect more out of a beer of this caliber.... its an average AD/IS. nothing special or great about it. I strongly feel this needs to be paired with food, or seriously aged.

.... is this a bad bottle/batch?.... glad i'm at least getting drunk

3.34/5  rDev -23.7%

Bottle poured into a Kuhnheen Tulip

A - I forgot that high ABV stouts can have a nice head. Has a nice, one finger mocha color head that sits throughout. Color is deep, brown. Clean looking and slightly reflective.

S - Chocolate, light bitter coffee with a slight caramel sweetness. There is a slight almost Marmite / vegetal hint I pick up in the nose as well

T - Slight chocolate and definitely get a kick of the bitter coffee in the middle. There is slight caramel and vanilla sweetness that comes in near the end before you get slammed with a huge alcoholic kick. This by far has the strongest alcoholic kick I've had in a beer in a long time and even seems strong for a 12% ABV.

MF - Nice medium body that is thick and smooth with light carbonation. Finish though is very astringent and boozy as you'd expect given the booze in the flavor

O - I was not impressed by this offering and thought this was an overall let down. It is way too boozy for the ABV which comes on way too strong.

3.34/5  rDev -23.7%

Purchased about 1 month ago; no bottle date.

Slowly develops a 1-finger dark tan head after pouring. The beer is a very dark brown, near black.

The aroma has some roasty coffee notes, but also a medicinal note and some green wood. It's not particularly appealing, but not off-putting either.

The first sip is an explosion of coffee and chocolate. Unfortunately, it's chased by that same green, medicinal flavor and a bitter woody finish. The mouthfeel is heavy and coating, but a bit chalky. Almost no carbonation.

Overall, this is a bit of an enigma to me, though. It's better than the sum of its parts and I keep being pulled back for another sip.

3.35/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from b/w/grey silkscreened 750ml bottle. This black stout had a medium body and poured with minimal head. Robust aromas of bread, coffee, tar and roasted caramel malts were prominent. The coffee and roasted flavors were good, but there was this acidic high note kinda like a lactose or sweet stout thing that detracted from this. This should be a heavy thick brooding stout, and the sweet thing wasn't ideal.

3.36/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A black beer with a massive tan head some lacing is left on the glass, with a little retention. The nose has coffee, light chocolate notes and deeply roasted dark coffee bitterness. The taste follows the nose, heavy with dark roasted coffee and the astringent bitterness that comes from too much roasting, chocolate and roasted malt flavors. Too much roast when fresh. A very smooth and creamy stout with a great mouth-feel, but it was hard to appreciate because of the bitterness. A very good stout that should be aged, even with all the coffee notes. The astringent bitterness is just to harsh to truly enjoy. I have this beer with a little over a year and the astringency had faded considerably.

3.37/5  rDev -23.1%

Picked up a bottle from Vendomere in CA

Poured a extreme black color void of any light. no head formation at all. The aroma nice with a sweet coffee background twirled around. The smell was not very strong but was nice and plesent. The taste was of a well balanced coffee, roasty, dark fruit flavor. Honestly they all seemed to match very well, but the biggest problem was no carbonation. The carbonation in this brew was way to low and hard to find honestly. I felt for this flavor profile it needed just a dash more to tie everything together. I am hoping I had a bad bottle but this was my second bottle both of which were different years. So I am just chacking this up to not my style. Don't get me wrong this a good Stout just not something I will seek out again. If it was sold in m area I would probably pick it up from time to time. The body was great as a medium/thick style but again the lack of carbonation hit this brew hard for me.

3.37/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not a bad beer overall, seems a bit over rated. I would agree with beer bros rating on it more so. Doesnt have the strong coffee taste I expected and is a little more bitter than I would like. A little surprised on the lack of head with the poor as well.

3.39/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The coffee flavor is far too pronounced.

3.4/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a jet black, with a small tan head. The smell is dominated by coffee, with a burnt malt presence as well. The taste is also almost all coffee. At times it feels like some subletlies in flavor tried to come through, but overall the coffee dominated. This was not a bad RIS, but overall I was less impressed with the beer than I thought I was going to be.

3.4/5  rDev -22.4%

Good little stout, though there's nothing especially unique about it. I've had it both out of the bottle and on tap, and it was pretty consistent between the two. It has great color and smells wonderful. The one knock I have is that it has a little acidic hint on the back end which is a bit unpleasant.

3.42/5  rDev -21.9%

750ml bottle into a snifter - 2009 Vintage

A: Pours a deep black with ruby tinges on the side and a small dark tan head that fades quickly and leaves some lacing on the glass. I poured this pretty vigorously and it barely produced a small head...I'd like to see more than that otherwise great.

S: The nose is amazing. Roasted malt leads to a coffee aroma with vanilla and cocoa in the background. I literally said "oh my god" when I took my first whiff.

T: The taste is much different from the nose. It starts slightly sour with a lot of dark fruit and that leads to a vanilla and coffee flavor. Not as impressive as the nose led on but not bad either.

M: The feel is pretty thick and oily. Not a whole lot of carbonation which isn't a bad thing for an Impy Stout.

D: I'd like to try this again before I give my final verdict. Perhaps I'll get the new 2010 vintage and have it fresh.

I can't even imagine what the smell and taste would be on the barrel aged version...must be out of this world.

3.44/5  rDev -21.5%

2006-My shop just got this is in today, so it's straight off the boat, and I am looking very forward to my introductory taste of this Alesmith SS.

Pours beautifully, with black as pitch body, and 1/4 inch tan head at the rim. Literally georgeous in a tulip. Art. Very nice under light.

Strong coffee upfront, which I love for my stouts. Chocolate syrup not far behind in the nose. Burnt and almost powerful.

Taste is average, at best. I want to love this beer. It's not simple enough to be perfect, not complex enough to make think another glass will drive me to insanity. Think Black Hole meets LH Milk Stout. Drinkable, yes. Outstanding?! 92 points?! Big beers are my thing, and this just doesn't justify the hoopla, nor the $12.99 tag.

Syrupy, with minimal tang. Not very expressive.
Yet, everytime I look at it, I want another pull. I wish it could deliver.

3.44/5  rDev -21.5%

3.45/5  rDev -21.2%

22oz bomber poured into a chalice.

Many thanks to Tizzod for sharing this special brew with me.

Black black black with tan foamy head.

Aroma is really rich, molasses, caramel, dark roasted coffee, sweet malt.

Flavor carries through with loads of roasted black richness, molasses, caramel, chocolate, coffee...a bit too rich for my taste, it is over the top, too syrupy and alcoholic to have much drinkability. Fun to try once and maybe best beside a fire in the winter, but I would probably go for a Belgian quadrupel in that case.

3.45/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a very dark brown, which if you're not really paying attention might appear black. It is topped with a one finger darkish tan head which leaves minimal lacing.

Smells of the very familiar coffee and some tobacco.

Tastes, not surprisingly of coffee along with what seems like cola. Possibly a nut in there somewhere too, but maybe I'm grasping at straws. Basically it tastes like someone took a Coke and a coffee and poured them together. No real sign of alcohol taste, but there is a warming after you get through some of this beer.

Mouthfeel was not as velvety as some others in it's class. Somewhat thin too as it goes down.

I know a lot of folks like this brew, but it really didn't tickle my fancy. It's one and done for me.

3.45/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Ya know with all the hype around this beer, I figured why not give it a shot. Only problem, I didn't have one. Answer, host a tasting with a friend whose cellar reaches back a little further then mine. Thanks treyrab!!

The appearance really throws me off, doesn't look like an imperial stout. Not quite black, with some mahogany accents around the edges. No head head at all.

In the nose, I found mostly very ripe darker fruits, and a little bit of smoke. Sweet darker chocolate is present but this portion of the beer is really lacking, as it comes off a bit airy.

In the mouth, the flavors aren't too difficult to decipher. Some chocolate and caramel at the beginning of the sip, leading into some riper dark fruits (my guess would be red cherries). Alcohol is present, and not very pleasing. There's a slight amount of smoothed out coffee on the end.

I guess I expected a bit more for a beer so highly regarded.

3.46/5  rDev -21%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours up extremely dark. The notes I get in the forefront make me think of coffee (dark roast in particular), and chocolate, with some alcohol warmth in there, and thats about it. Pretty good.

3.46/5  rDev -21%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.47/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.47/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Taste and mouth feel leave something to be desired

3.48/5  rDev -20.5%

3.48/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured from the bottle into my Founders snifter

A - Black as can be but where is the head? There are a few bubbles here and there but not really any head to speak of even when swirling it.

S - Dark malts provide tons of mollasses roast and chocolate notes but I am picking up a lot of vanilla and coffee. Smells like it'll be kinda syrupy and sweet

T - Nice coffee flavor mingles with some roast and dark chocolate notes. Not picking up on the booze at all. The coffee notes definitely compliment rather than dominate.

M - heavy body. no carbonation. I think I got a bad bottle. Kind of a bummer because I think this beer could be much better with some carbonation

D - Despite the lack of carbonation this is still a pretty good beer. I think I will have to try another bottle and see if it is carbonated. I really like the coffee flavors and the vanilla notes.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company