AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Ratings: 6,815 |  Reviews: 1,692
4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Tasted on the lighter side for such a strong beer: more carbonated with only a faint smoky taste. Hints of coffee. Solid, but lacking the oomph of Dark Lord.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks Philly for this beer.

A. Pours dark brown and has an enormous brown head. Great retention thats very foamy. Body is black and has a few carb bubbles sitting on the side of the glass

S. Big coffee bean roast and sweetness. Somewhat bitter.

T. Coffee bean roast with sone sweetness behind it. Chocolate interlaced with the coffee. Theres some sweet dark feuits comming through as it warms up. Finish is slightly bitter roast that lingers a bit.

M. Nice full bodied feel with minimal carbonation, the way i like my stouts.

O. Nice beer here. Didnt really floor me bit i may have had too high expectations but maybe they were a little too high?. But either way, nice beer that i could get more often.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

a - Black Black. Pours Viscous. Thin head which holds on a while, then fades, but stays thin around the edges.

s - Raisin-y. Dark roast, lots of coffee.

t - WOW, huge flavor! Lots of coffee, huge roasted/burnt flavors. No noticeable alcohol. Almost over the top with roast/burnt flavor. Bitterness is a bit harsh, combined with the burnt aspect.

m - really nice. Viscous

d - I could drink 2.

Impressions - a great RIS which got better as it warmed up - it started quite cold. The roasted flavor boardered and really overflowed into "burnt" territory, I'm wondering how much black patent malt and total roasted malts there were to give it the more charcoal taste. Not sure how that flavor will age, but I can see combined with oak barrels that would be quite delicious! I will age 6+ months before I open the next.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Where to start?

In the San Diego area there seems to have been a shortage of Speedway Stout; I swung by the brewery to buy some and was informed by a friendly but chagrined employee (Mike? Matt?) that they were waiting on coffee from Ryan Bros. before they could get a new batch on the market and that they didn't have any left at the brewery at all. He recommended a couple of places, both of which didn't have it, and I stumbled upon the last bottle at BevMo. I intended to give the bottle away for Chanukah, but was determined to at least try it. At the time I didn't have a chance to review, and I stumbled across another couple of bottles at Dick's Liquor. I've been saving my bottle for some time now; It's been calling to me.

I'm dissappointed immediately by the utter lack of a head; The cap hissed when I opened it, so I assume the cap seal wasn't bad, but there's just no head at all other than a few bubbles I force with an aggressive pour that soon dissappear. I'm left with a murky brownish-black tulip full of what looks like a nightmare child of dark wine and the blackest of military coffees. I hate giving this beer a below average score for appearance but as far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with my particular bottle - the other sample I tried was similarly headless.

The smell punches you in the nose with coffee (duh) and bitter baker's chocolate. Little whiffs of raisin and sour-fruity-sweetness tie the two together, and the alcohol makes a slight appearance. Heady, heavy, alcoholic, the scent is somewhat intimidating. That's a good thing!

The taste is so full of coffee, toffee and chocolate notes it's like drinking a cool mocha (maybe even an Irish coffee, with the alcoholic notes on the back of the tongue). The taste is just like the smell, with slight variations in the acidity of the raisin-plum notes that are the background to the chocolate-coffee. Big, big flavors have been forced into this one alongside big abv.

Mouthfeel takes a big hit because this simply doesn't have any carbonation. This Imperial/Double Stout has the right consistency - chewy and sticky, with lingering sheets of carmally flavors coating the inside of the mouth that just won't go away - but I wish it had some froth to liven things up a bit more than they already are.

For a Big Beer, this one drinks like a champ. Go into the game expecting alcohol and coffee and you'll flip for this one.

It may seem obvious that something was wrong with my bottle and I should have had more carbonation; But I reviews 'em as I sees 'em. I'm more than willing to try another bottle of this to see if I get a better example! Until then, my review stands.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance – 750 ml bottle bought several months ago at Bev Mo and carried back to Mass with me on a plane. Not sure of the age, but the bottle has the old paper label with silver foil. In my tulip the beer is pitch black with a bubbly head with good retention and lacing.

Smell – Rich chocolate and coffee without a hint of alcohol. Sadly, I believe that this has a bit of oxidation resulting in a bit of cardboard in the aroma.

Taste – The perceived oxidation in the nose does not appear in the taste. At first it has a slight charcoal flavor, but that dies down quickly and the coffee flavor takes over. Slightly bitter aftertaste. As I drink more the sharp roastiness calms down and the full flavors off this beer come out. There is a solid amount of hop bitterness, but not much hop flavor. Alcohol is only mildly present, impressive for such a big beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium-full body for the style with subdued carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes – In an hour and a half or so I had no problem, aside from inebriation, polishing off the whole 750 by myself. Luckily this beer just became available near by, so I will give a fresh bottle a try to see how it compares to this abused bottle. Overall, I feel like without the addition of coffee this would be a stout lacking flavor, there just isn't much to the base beer. A solid coffee stout, but at least this bottle is not earth shattering.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Received this beauty from fbm115 (thanks!)
Pours a deep, dark black with a HUGE froathy tan head. Smells just like the bottle says: Roasty, toasy, and coffee with a subtle sweetness in the nose.
Sweet up front with an aggressive bitterness in the back end. Very drinkable. Slight alcohol taste in the end, glad I have another in the cellar as it might mellow out with some age on it.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Apearance - Pours jet black with a 2 finger light brown head that sticks around quite a while.

Nose- Just a hint of booze, but mainly coffee, vanilla, roast malt and milk chocolate.

Palate- Warming coffee, sweet vanilla and chocolate. Sweetness is very well balanced with the roast grains with the grains just winning out. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, Med carb. I would not have guessed the alcohol percentage.

Drinkability- I would be happy to come home to a fridge full of these.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

This beast pours a mad thick pitch black. Mocha head sits at less than an inch. Sticky lacing leaves little bubbles around the glass. The nose is chocolatey and roasty. There is a bit of coffee involved but at the nose I am almost convinced that I had held onto this beer for longer than I should have. Nontheless, the massive chocolate and roasty offerings create a nice aroma. The taste is straight Willy Wonka. Chocolate infused with some toffee and deeply roasted malt. Great stuff going on here but the moutjfeel is the kicker. Oily, viscious and bold, Speedway Stout packs a candied, sticky punch that lathers the palate. Overall, this was a trade worthy of making as I do not have access to Alesmith brews and the flavors are robust and beastly. But, now
im ready to try this stout fresh. Love it.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

From a Bottle to a Glass.
This Beer pours like a black hole. no light passes through. Coffee brownish tint around the edges. The Head Looks like a dark latte color, larger bubbles than anticipated
Smell is sweet coffee and a little chocolaty
Taste is Coffee Coffee Coffee, very smooth, chocolaty but not as much as the smell would make you think. Love the aftertaste - alcohol at first but then smooth creamy coffee.
Mouth feel is Heavy body with warm feel, very good carbonation for this beer.
Overall this beer is great, I am tempted to add some coffee creamer to this bee.r I would buy it again, it's a slow drink, sip the whole thing. no way could i drink this fast. Recommend to dark heavy beer lovers

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

This beer was a dark black with a frothy head that quickly diminished. It had some lacing but did not stay. The first hit to my nose was molasses. There was no hop odor.

It tasted warm and roasty. Moderately sweet a slight bitterness and the toasted coffee flavor. It has a creamy mouthfeel and very soft carbonation.

I like this beer but not as much as other stouts in my collection. I got two bottles so I'll put one down and try it in a year or so. I think this may mellow and blend together to be a bit richer. As this beer warmed up to room temp. It got fuller and richer. The bottle was not refrigerated. I took it form the cellar and poured. Digital temp is 71 degrees. I'll have to try a bottle at the 55 degrees they recommend.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

A friend of mine was holding onto this bottle for a little while and it was beautiful. A thick dark appearance with a great chocolaty aroma. The taste, well - creamy goodness. I only wish it was the first beer of the night instead of the last (third) so my sense of smeall and taste were a bit more refreshed. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes American Stouts!

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

This is the third beer in my birthday trifecta. A lone tiger in the year of the rat. Poured a big ass 750ml into my glass, wife promised to help (yeah right)...

Man, I thought Stone Imperial Russian Stout was black. This bitch is black! Looks like 30wt after 10,000 miles. Not that I would know, I change my oil every 24 hours. Heh, heh. Shows a little dark brown hue around the edges in bright light, otherwise-black.

Smell: coffee beans, dark fruit, alcohol.

Taste: starts smooth, then the 12% says "hey, stupid, here I am." Whoo hoo! Also ... whoo hoo!

Uber rich, creamy, smooth, like I'm getting my chassis lubed. Heh, heh. Great stuff. It's possible that I may, might, maybe, prefer the Stone RIS but I just can't tell.

Overall: Happy birthday to ME!!!

750ml bottle poured into my tulip

Opaque black with a huge dense two and half inch brown colored head. Long lasting head that slowly fades away and leaves good amounts of lacing.

Aroma consist of chocolate and lots of it. Milk chocolate dominates the aroma with bits of dark chocolate as well. Some dark cherries, brownies, espresso, vanilla, and roasted malts.

Taste upfront is of dark chocolate with a bit of espresso. Mild milk chocolate midway with a touch of vanilla. Some barley and bit of coffee bitterness in the finish.

Full bodied with minimal carbonation. Sweet aftertaste.

Good stout that I would recommend for others to try.

4.09/5  rDev -6.4%

Had to write this one the morning after because I got a bit too drunk from that big bottle!

A: One heck of a dark beer - straight up opaque black. A bit disappointed that it poured with no head - maybe this was one of those issues AleSmith had been having with the beers sent to the east coast. In any case, the lack of head really detracted from the beer's appearance.

N/P: This really is a coffee stout. I think I started drinking this one a bit too cold so a lot of the flavors didn't come out very well. When it warmed up the coffee and roasted malts hit the palate hard. To be honest, I had a hard time pulling anything else out of this one - the coffee really dominates.

M/D: The alcohol I felt was a bit too much. I guess I should have expected it at 12%, but it was a definitely a bit stinging throughout the session. Other than that, the beer was fairly creamy and had a pretty good texture. Drinkability is fairly low, although I did manage to kill the bottle myself :)

All in all a good beer, but certainly it did not live up to my expectations. Perhaps this is a different beast on the west coast, but unfortunately, this is the only one I had to review.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company