AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Ratings: 6,837 |  Reviews: 1,700
4.09/5  rDev -6.4%

Had to write this one the morning after because I got a bit too drunk from that big bottle!

A: One heck of a dark beer - straight up opaque black. A bit disappointed that it poured with no head - maybe this was one of those issues AleSmith had been having with the beers sent to the east coast. In any case, the lack of head really detracted from the beer's appearance.

N/P: This really is a coffee stout. I think I started drinking this one a bit too cold so a lot of the flavors didn't come out very well. When it warmed up the coffee and roasted malts hit the palate hard. To be honest, I had a hard time pulling anything else out of this one - the coffee really dominates.

M/D: The alcohol I felt was a bit too much. I guess I should have expected it at 12%, but it was a definitely a bit stinging throughout the session. Other than that, the beer was fairly creamy and had a pretty good texture. Drinkability is fairly low, although I did manage to kill the bottle myself :)

All in all a good beer, but certainly it did not live up to my expectations. Perhaps this is a different beast on the west coast, but unfortunately, this is the only one I had to review.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle is unknown year.
Poured pitch black with a 2 finger tan head into a Modern Times Snifter.
Nose is not heavy on the coffee but more cocoa.
Taste is also more cocoa than coffee with some slight bitterness with coffee undertones on the backend & in the finish
Feel is smooth
Overall less coffee than I expected but still a great tasting beer

4.09/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -6.4%

I definitely want to drink this right once I purchase it just to compare to the aged bottle I drank.
Poured a jet black with a nice tan head
Smells of roasted nuts, hints of coffee, chocolate and vanilla
I was kinda disappointed in the taste - I got mostly a ton of smoke with very little coffee and chocolate. A little bit of vanilla in the aftertaste.
I definitely want to give this beer another go, just because of that smoke flavor I got.

4.09/5  rDev -6.4%

A: beautiful pour with excellent head and retention. Very viscous looking, but still nice brown head.

S: pretty standard for a hoppy stout, and I get very little hint of coffee or anything excellent.

T: great blend of hoppy bitterness, coffee, roasted malt, and sweet caramel. Excellent.

M: doesn't get better than this for mouthfeel. This is a huge stout, but with medium carbonation it comes alive.

O: solid beer, though disappointing in smell. Still awesome, but maybe not worth the price tag.

4.09/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Black, good head for a strong beer.

Smell: Good coffee aroma.

Taste: Moderately sweet chocolate, pretty strong coffee flavors, some hot-boozy alcohol.

Overall: Alesmith is in Wiscoland so I picked up a bottle to try. This is pretty good, but could maybe use a little cellaring to better integrate the alcohol. Sometimes a 12% beer will show the alcohol and sometimes it hides it--I prefer the ones that can hide it better.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

This is a very dark beer pouring a dark black with an inch or so brownish/cream head. Smells of coffee and alcohol were the first thing I thought of. Tastes of coffee and roasted goodness made this beer live up to it's expectations. Mouthfeel was smooth and there was a good amount of warming as I sipped this one. I drank a 750 over the duration of the Patriots game and was happy I did so at home as the 12% will kick your butt.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Dark brown color with mocha head. Aroma has sweet malt and chocolate pralines with coffee liquor. Taste is quite malty and sweet at first but the coffee bitterness and roasted malt takes quickly over. Medium body and carbonation. Quite boozy for a coffee stout, kind of overhyped.

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Poured into my DFH Signature Glass. The beer pours with no head at all but a light lacing around the edges of the glass. The beer is pitch black and next to no light comes through even when held to the light.

Smell: First I am hit by the coffee flavors. Very nice. Next are the roasty flavors which really complement the coffee well. I liked the smell as it warmed up a lot better. When it was cold I did catch some metallic flavors but that was replaces with a nice sweetness.

Taste: There is a lot of coffee flavor in this bad boy. A lot of the bitterness in this beer comes from the coffee and some from the roasty malts.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, smooth and creamy. A little thick but more towards a medium feel which was nice.

Overall: I would recommend this to anyone. I liked the beer and while it was not my favorite in the style it is certainly well worth the time and money to acquire.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company