AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Reviews: 1,649 | Ratings: 6,607

Pint at the Tap Room in Pacific Beach

I was stoked to find these for 4 bucks a pop, considering they are about 10 dollars for a 750ml bottle in the stores

This beer was pitch black with a thick tan head and was the best stout I have ever had

Too much flavor to even describe, the coffee bite really tops it off

If I was not so full from dinner, I probably could have drank more, will definitely be drinking more of these in the future

Great beer with a dessert

4.63/5  rDev +5.9%

I waited a long time to my lay a hand on this one and finally found in on a trip to So. California. This poured BLACK. Not dark brown but black with no light at all even on the edges and threw up a very fat tan head that lasted a long time. Nose is very powerful and of coffee and chocolate. Very thick mouthfeel. Flavor is rich roasted malts with the chocolate and coffee in abundance. Finish is dry and bitter. Simply amazing stuff. Maybe my best stout ever. I loved this stuff.

4.63/5  rDev +5.9%

Review number 300 and I figured I would hit up the Speedway for this one. Been saving this one for a while and I have to thank Reino for sending me the bottle a while back. 750ml bottle served up in my Terrapin snifter. Lets get this party started.

A: This brew pours slowly and thick from the bottle. This beer is black, letting no light through and is completely opaque. A semi-vigorous pour yields a finger of thick, bubbly dark brown head that has some decent retention. Really tight bubbles on top that are really frothy. Lacing sticks to the glass very nicely. Very nice and the start I was looking for.

S: This one smells greatly of some nice, big time chocolate. So much chocolate in this nose. The coffee is there but does not over power the chocolate. The crazy thing is that you can actually get bit of the grain through the chocolate, coffee and nicely roasted malt characters. There is also a touch of bourbon coming out from the alcohol notes. Smells good.

T: Taste is awesome. The chocolate is rich and creamy, not unlike an awesome milkshake. Stupid rich. Coffee is nicely roasted with just a touch of bitterness that cuts the sweetness a touch. Roasted malts round off the heavy flavors with some sweet, roasted goodness. There is also a nuttiness that reminds me of some good hazelnut. Also a touch of nougat. This is stupid good.

M: This is a major, full bodied brew that means business. This beer is chewy and may be the thickest, creamiest beer I have ever enjoyed. Just an incredibly beautiful creaminess. Carbonation is light but there. Aftertastes are of some malt and coffee. ABV is present with a wonderful, slow warming from the stomach, but really no heat on the throat or palate. Amazing.

D: This beer is truly amazing. IMO, it lives up to the hype surrounding it and I can only imagine how good the barrel aged offerings are. This beer is just crazy in the flavor and feel categories and better than solid in every other category. Another amazing thing about this beer is how easy it is to drink for a 12% Imperial Stout. I will be enjoying the rest of this bottle with true gluttony and raise my glass to Reino for providing this gem.

4.63/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from the 750ml bottle a dark black with a very attractive thick, lasting tan head. In just the glass, this brew is amazing.

Smell is incredible, chocolate, caramel, and a boatload of coffee. Taste follows right along with chocolate and strong espresso up front, followed by a very creamy coffee taste, almost like a coffee with cream was poured into a strong stout. Full body with amazingly complex flavor notes. Hops are perfectly balanced, and a wonderful alcohol spice finishes it off perfectly. This beer is all about balance, and with every sip, I taste something new. As it warms, it's magical, every sip delving deeper into the already complex.

As for drinkability, I think that kinda goes without saying. I drank this bottle without any problem at all, and could have gone on to another, if not for the alcohol. It's more of a sipping beer, and one to savor.

Absolutely incredible!!

4.63/5  rDev +5.9%

jet black with a dark tan head that held amazingly well and left tons of lace. this is what i want my stouts to look like. just a wonderful beer all around. coffee, followed by chocolate and earthy roasty malt in the nose. taste is superbly balanced and has a little hop kick in the finish followed by a nice warmth that ensues post finish. full bodied. insanely drinkable for being as high abv as it is. one of my favorite breweries of all time. beyond good.

Poured from a 750ml bottle

A- pours a pitch black color... big tan head... stays for minutes.... very sticky lacing to the glass

S- bitter sweet chocolate front, roasty coffee grains...charcoal in the back... hint of anise with a little black liquorice funk

T- sweet bitter chocolate... coffee domincace... as I drink this the 12% presents itself...and quite a bit it does... lingering coffee roastyness

M- thick full body... creamy feel... oily on the tongue... prickly carbonation... bitter balance

O- one of the best imperial stouts out there... very rare in my area so when it's here... you better grab it....

4.64/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle.

A- Jet black opaque in color, desert sand tan head colored head. Nice even fine lacing on the glass.

S- Powerful dark roasted malt, hints of chocolate and espresso.

T- Along with smell, nose is dark delicious roasted malt, roasted coffee bean, dark bitter (and very delicious) chocolate with an espresso type bitter finish. The finish is outstanding. Even more rewarding as it warms.

M- Very well balanced here, a perfect weight body for this style (medium/heavy) and it lingers well and covers the palate without being too dry. The carbonation level is medium and dialed in to perfection. It leaves you wanting to frequently pick up the glass for another sip.

O- One of the best stout's I've ever had. This has it all. The mouthfeel and aftertaste are the highlights for me. Such a delicious and well rounded beer overall. Complex and flavorful without being too heavy and too big, it's just right. And the ABV is very well hidden at 12%. Wow.

4.64/5  rDev +6.2%

Speedway Stout pours great for a three finger dark tan head, and a jet black opaque body.

Fragrance is roasty coffee, semisweet chocolate and metallic characteristics.

In the taste, semisweet chocolate is the dominate trait. The coffee doesn't really kick in until the very end. Even then, the coffee addition is kick ass, and goes for a great finish.

This feels very creamy, and has a mild slickness. Alcohol warmness is slightly notable, and is kind of masked; however, this is still a warming beer.

What with all the complexity, how can this beer be wrong? It's a desert in a bottle!

4.64/5  rDev +6.2%

Wonderful thick, creamy mouthfeel. Almost feels like cream has been added. Among my favorite mouthfeels ever.

Delicious coffee flavor. The coffee is really out front and provides all the bitterness in the beer. I couldn't taste any hops - but that is ok. Because of the coffee bitterness the beer was adequately balanced between sweet and bitter flavors. No alcohol taste, even though the ABV is 12%.

Super drinkable, until you pass out from the ABV.

Just a few negatives:

I couldn't get any head out of this beer, even with a fairly aggressive pour. I'd like to see a bit of head. Thus the 3.0 appearance rating.

Even though there is no alcohol in the taste, the alcohol hits you pretty hard in the nose. So I took off a point for smell.

4.64/5  rDev +6.2%

750 mL bottle, shared with BAs johnjae, NYManc and r0nyn. 10/29 notes.

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A dark void in the glass: dark, rich, opaque and concentrated. A thin tan head emerged from the pour but quickly melted away in a matter of seconds. Little to no lacing on the glass as well. The aromas was seriously a freshly opened bag of coffee grounds. Those Ryan Brothers' coffee beans declare a mammoth presence onto you once you get your nose into the glass. Especially considering I was holding onto this bottle for about a year, the coffee is still readily there and in a big way. Although this is not as roasted and bold as the Ithaca Eleven, which was actually really overwhelming for me.

Taste was like drinking a cold cup of black, dark-roasted coffee with melted dark chocolate squares thrown in. Definitely world class tasting. The roasted character starts you off then moves into a nice sweet malt and chocolate sweetness and ends on a striking - but not conquering - astringency. It even leaves that familiar sour/tart aftertaste that you get after drinking coffee. And for 12%, the taste didn't have any alcoholic tastes. Too ninja. Every flavored aspect was superbly well-balanced in this stout- a feat that's always a plus for me. /standing ovation.

Mouthfeel was the only thing that surprised me- a bit thin-bodied, with the carbonation being pretty evident like an ale. This is still a total beer, but just one that I'd like to have been a bit more thicker. Drinkability is definitely high, especially if you love coffee like I do. Everything was on-point for this beer, especially for its price. HEHE ;) Speedway is now my favorite coffee-oriented stout.

4.64/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

A: Black with a brown head. Beautiful.

S: Nose is full of chocolate and coffee.

T: Mocha, espresso, coffee goodness, roasted malt and dark chocolate. A bit bitter,but not overly bitter. Delicious.

M: Full bodied and smoooth.

O: One of the best coffee stouts out there. Possibly the best I've had thus far. It might be too bitter for non-coffee-drinkers, as my friend found it to be undrinkably bitter. I suggest trying it on tap if you can before investing in such a large bottle.

4.64/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 10/16/13. Poured 11/16/14. I got this in Wisconsin in July. Finally cracked it open.

Appearance: Aggressive pour brought on a slow forming brown head that wound up being three fingers in height. This stout is pitch black with nothing getting through the glass. The lacing is really great -- plenty of it all over the glass.

Smell: Everything you'd want from an Imperial Stout: lots of chocolate and roasted malt. There's some coffee character in there, but that aroma accents more than anything. I don't get any kind of dark fruits on the aroma, but I do get a caramel quality and a plain cake doughnut sort of smell that I usually pick up in high ABV stouts -- especially BBA'd ones. I know, I'm weird.

Taste/feel: Absolutely delicious. The taste is almost exactly like the aroma, and I have zero problems with that. The mouth feel is fantastic... not super heavy, but pretty full-bodied, with a light carbonation. It feels like chocolate milk in beer form. Lots of smooth milk chocolate flavors coming through in this beer with caramel malts... the finish is some roasted malt and coffee with a little much needed bitterness that balances out the initial sweetness. I don't really get any dark fruit flavors to speak of... this reminds me of a more balanced Chocolate Manifesto. Speedway Stout still remains a somewhat sweet Imperial Stout overall, but then again it is 12% ABV.

Excellent, and the best I've had from the style (as of this review, of course). Worthy of every bit of the praise it receives.

4.64/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer was unbelieveable. It poured pitch black. The head: light tan in size with a mostly diminishing head that left some lacing. Nice nose. Molasses and lots of toffee and coffee but mostly a sweet milk chocolate covered pot leaf that I loved. Starts out with vanilla, toffee and tons of cocoa. The mid-palate was full of chocolate but not the usual chocolate but more of a melted milk chocolate. The finish was amazing and hard to put into words. It was a tobacco laden coffee bean dripping with chocolate and it was very lingering. The coffee beans served there purpose, molding all the flavors together and eliminating a lot of the alcohol flavors. This was a 12% beer and I could barely taste any alcohol and I think it was the coffee beans than eliminated it. This beer was amazing and the past few days I have been sitting in the middle of class and I could swear that I tasted the tobacco laden coffee bean dripping with chocolate finish. Rerate: I’ve had several bottles since my first review above and each bottle still blows me away. One of the best Imperial Stouts in the world.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this several years ago at a beer fest, and was blown away. Fast forward to the present, and Alesmith has arrived in Maine.
Very dark brown with a rim of red. Small tan head.
Beautiful aroma of coffee, chocolate, and charcoal.
The taste only improved on the aroma. Espresso coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and char.
Smooth, easy to drink. The 12% ABV is well-hidden.
Fantastic beer!

AleSmith Speedway Stout
AleSmith Brewing Company
Style: American Double / Imperial Stout
ABV: 12.00 %

Presentation: 750ml bottle

BOOM! This beer took over my night once I finished it. At 12%, I definitely felt it after finishing this. Choco-coffee taste with a medium body. A great beer to have after dinner or winding down the night - put me to bed.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Split a 750 ml bottle with a couple of friends.

Pours a dark, thick, oily (seriously, motor-oil like) into pint glasses, with a brown, and I mean BROWN head that is moderate in size, and quickly collapses to brown oil spill cap over the beer. There is no way to see through this beer- not with sunlight, flourescent, flashlight, or even cell-phone glow (he-he-he). A gorgeous stout that tells other stouts what they should look like.

Aroma is rich, powerful, and oh so good. I am a big coffee-espresso fan, and this brings out the bitter aromatics of a fine expresso, with a dark bitter chocolate overlay.

Flavor follows through from the aroma. If I didn't know better, I could convince myself I was drinking coffee, not beer (ok, not really, but you get the idea). And yes, there is a strong alcohol presence sitting behind it all.

Mouthfeel is also wonderful- rich and creamy and just lingers oh so well.

Where this beer really falls down for me (in terms of scoring, but only slightly so) is in drinkability. We split the 750, so that was 250 ml each. I think that's more than enough of this beer. It's incredible, and I love it, but it should be in small quantities to be best appreciated. Much like you don't get a huge mug of espresso, I don't want to drink this as anything more than a small nightcap at the end of a day.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a dark, opaque black color with a deep tan head. Great retention and lacing down the glass.

Smells like coffe, chocolate, dark malts.

Wow! Tastes increadible! Thick choclate and coffe, with heavy sweet malts - just as it smells. Goes down smoothly. Very well balanced with no alcohol burn.

As stated above, goes down smoothly with no alcohol burn. Heavy, but as any imperial stout should be.

I only wish I could afford more of these. Or that they were sold in Michigan. Wonderful session beer.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a dark deep black have to hold to the light to get dark red highlights around the edges. Has a nice chocolate colored head that leaves some lace.
Aroma is lots of roasted flavors chocolate, coco, and moca coffee aromas mix with together for wonderful experience.
Taste is nice chocolate roasted malts nice and smooth coffee flavors come to the surface and mix with the roasted chocolate to add a touch of bitterness that is aided by some light herbal/floral hop mixture. It is nice change from the west coast variety this time. I was expecting big coffee flavors from this one after reading the label about the special coffee beans used but it was more smooth sweet chocolate first then some coffee flavors and light bitterness after. Very tastey. Some
Mouthfeel is big full smooth and dreamy very nice feel.
Drinkability is great 12% you have to be kidding me nothing more then a warming feeling is ever noticed a very fine Impy Stout, many thanks to merlin48 for sharing this one with me.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a one finger, light brown head that slowly fades to a ring leaving a good lace. Solid black color. Light carbonation and heavy bodied. Roasted coffee nose. Starts as a sweet malt and roasted coffee, smooth, finishes with a smokey caramel flavor; the high ABV is not noticeable. Excellent Imperial stout. Serious yeast in bottom of glass. $12.85 for a 750ml bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: black in color with a short 1/4" milk chocolate colored head. Some big bubbles stick to the sides of the glass.

Smell: roasted malt, big chocolate tones, and a hint of alcohol is picked up by the nose.

Taste: roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate, prunes, some hint of grapefruit and pine. Bitterness is strong but not overpowering. Alcohol is noticeable and warming.

Mouthfeel : heavy in body. Light crispness to start, smooth and velvety at the finish. Warming aftertaste.

Overall: a great example in the style. Smooth and tasty, very easy to drink despite the very high alcohol levels. Superb beer.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

got this pimped out 750 in a trade a ways back.. want to say its courtesy of ejquin but hard to remember exactly. either way...

majestically noir into a brandy snifter. no light is penetrating. tan furry layer of thin cream rests atop.. trippy arms of lacing. very espresso-like in appearance, thanks to the microbrew coffee used in the brew process undoubtedly.

nose is unequivocally boozy, reminiscent in its malt/yeast profile of dogfish head big beers, wws most noticeably. chocolate malts release a really dry cocoa aroma mixed with some tree bark and wild, pungent hops. coffee isn't so much fresh brewed as it is oily, roasting beans. huge fucking beer to be respected.

slick, oily.. with a real snakebite in the finish. a sipper for sure, and that evens out the abrasive elements that throw off the body. when sipped, this is an invigorating experience. silky carbonation, dense, rich syrupy body and great hop levels keep each tag off the glass interesting and equally powerful. there are few beers that don't diminish in strength as you drink more.. and this is certainly one of them.

flavors i pick up here include burnt vanilla bean, coffee grounds, pumpkin pie filling, plummy/cherry yeast fruitiness and essential bittersweet chocolate syrup. a full, enriching beer experience.

dangerously drinkable. i had no problem throwing back a 750 of this over the course of an evening.. well, no problems until the next morning. 12% seems more like.. 9?

awesome beer, for a RIS (double? bah!).. no dark lord, but what is, besides dark lord. still, considering the availability of this beer and its dominance to other locals like stone.. an american classic through and through.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

I've been meaning to get to this one forever. Well it's an awesome cool crisp late summer evening so I think this fits the bill.

Poured from the bottle into my duvel tulip.

A: Wow talk about a beauty. The beer is so black I think it's sucking light in from the room I'm in. Beautiful waves of cascading carbonation look like a waterfall of chocolate milk. Huge three finger mocha hued head sets up and refuses to leave. After an agonizing wait a thick coating of lace is left around the glass.

S: Sweet and rich milk chocolate are the first thing to greet my nose. Like melted chocolate ice cream. Plenty of roasted malt and black coffee are present as well. Just a hint of campfire. As it warms further I can pick up hints of dark fruit and molasses. This beer is giving the Abyss a run for it's money as my favorite big stout.

T: Bitter dark chocolate up front slowly fades into fire roasted coffee beans. Molasses and black cherries are present as well. The flavor isn't as spectacular as the nose but only by a slim margin.

M: full chewy body, thick like motor oil, light carbonation

D: Overall a wonderful beer. Well worth it's place on the top 100.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer sets the bar for all stouts in my mind. It is special and gets better everytime i drink it. If you have had it only once drink it again and i guarantee you will have a new experience with it.

Smell is coffee and chocolate with undertones of caramel and vanilla. It smells so good it is hard to wait for it to warm to the drinking temp. It pours black as a can be and looks extremely viscous and full bodied. perfect head every time.

Taste is second to none for a year round release. Coffee, dark chocolate, toasted malts, caramel, with a little bitter taste to it at the end. A little warmth is present due to its 12% abv and I love it. Can't say enough.

Overall i use this beer to compare not only stouts but all beers. the quality is outstanding and is consistent year round. Hands down top 5 year round release for me.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Shared by CrellMoset--thanks Chris!

A: Pours a midnight black which lets no light through but for the chocolatey dark brown two fluffy fingers of head, and the slight mahogany glow around the edge of the glass when the light hits it. Many crisp, extremely fine carbonation bubbles stream to the top of the glass, where the head has by now subsided into a chocolatey latte-like foam. Nice lacing around the edge of the glass, and an uneven foamy ring that looks like a chocolate snowdrift in some places.

S: Notes of dark chocolate and dark coffee are immediately apparent, but there's a definite raspberry syrup in the nose as well. There's also fairly dominant toast and smoke notes, and a subtle nutty note. The raspberry note is definitely strongly present, but only noticed at first when agitated. Quite sweet and nice as it warms, and evens out nicely.

T: Very bitter and predominantly full of coffee, smoke, and toast, though these are blended with cream, nuts, roasted malts, and dark chocolate. A little bit of raspberry in the aftertaste, but nothing like was in the nose. Hints of apples and then anise as it warms. The fruit notes come out a bit more as it warms, but they aren't particularly coming across like raspberry as in the nose. The aftertaste is very much coffee, smoke, and hops. Very nicely balanced, and wonderful for how simple it is.

M: Somewhat crisp and very smooth. Not hot in the slightest, and I would never guess the ABV was anywhere near 12%. It seems almost a bit like sparking water to me, and while I would like to knock it for that, I'm thinking of ways it could be improved, and coming up short. I would like for it to be a bit creamier than it is, but this would inhibit the drinkability--it's already extremely smooth--and fewer bubbles would make it fall flat. As it warms, the mouthfeel evens out quite a bit and it's near perfect--as it's warmed I've had to bump it from a 4 to a 4.5 and now to a 5, and by the time it's finished, perfection.

Did someone steal my alcohol? So very highly drinkable. I don't know what I'd guess the ABV on this is--from the taste and lack of heat, I'd probably guess around a 6%--only half of what it is. I don't know how they did it. Pick up as much you can, drink it slowly, and allow it to reach its full potential as it warms!

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Being a Californian, I thought I'd be able to get this easily, but that hasn't been the case. I've been looking forward to trying this one for a long time now. It is no disappointment.

A - Turbid black, giving no secrets out - like a black hole sucking in all light, planets, dark matter, etc. Head is very fluffy, tan, with large bubbles, and good retention. Lacing is mighty and attractive.

S - Up front phenols, with brownies, chocolate-covered espresso beans, and raisins.

T - Definitely the highlight here. Starts out tasting like raspberries and chambord, Turkish coffee, dark chocolate. Oh man, this is the stuff dreams are made of, gents. More chocolatey than a chocolate stout.

M - Velvety, creamy, nice and thick and chewy on the way in and down. Foam is like some kind of divine cotton candy.

D - High abv, but almost undetectable. Hides it very well, unlike other stouts I've tried with high abv's. This is a fantastic beer, and I've got it available for trade!

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company