AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

alesmith.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Ratings: 6,837 |  Reviews: 1,700

I was expecting a lot more from this one. The nose is yogurt and over-ripened strawberry and maybe a bit of hard boiled egg (?!?!). Taste is where I was the most let down. As an admitted non bourbon barrel-aged stout fan, I was surprised to find so many similar notes of BBA stouts in this. Slight milk chocolate note over vanilla-y yogurt covered raisins and then some alcohol. Note that I do not really enjoy a noticeable alcohol content. Just not enjoying this nearly as much as so many other RISs out there. Glad to have tried it, but not one I would recommend. Sorry Alesmith, maybe I just had much higher hopes. With such a vast number of Russian imperial stouts out there, I would gladly reach for a year-round RIS over this any day.

Had on tap while sitting outside on a warm day. Not sure if the weather contributed, but this just didn't come together.

Visual- Nice, very dark, smooth. 2-finger head,

Aroma- Not much to smell; a little coffee, slight burnt edge

Taste- Not much taste- disappointing. Tasted almost like a good stout that was served too cold, but it wasn't too cold. The flavors were coffee and chocolate over the malt, good bitterness, but none of the flavors came through strong enough to satisfy. Felt like I was getting hints of an awesome beer, but not the awesome beer itself.

Feel- smooth but a little watery for a stout.

Overall- didn't live up to its billing. Not a bad beer, but not one that blew me away.

3.12/5  rDev -28.6%

3.12/5  rDev -28.6%

Enjoyed the beer, but wanted to post an honest review. Good, not great, especially at 12%, which should mean huge flavor. Did not notice coffee; the predominant flavor was metallic, almost salty. Low carbonation leading to small head. Mouthfeel was good but should be at that gravity.

3.15/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I felt this stout was a little over rated. The beer pours jet black with a thick'ish tan head that leaves some nice lacing as it goes down. The smell is a little sharp, perhaps some hops character coming through. The body is thin for a stout like this, I expected something more chewy; I love a thick syrupy imperial but this isn't even close. The flavor was not very well balanced, dominated by the unmasked alcohol. Granted 12% is hard to mask, but there is very little sweetness, it's like they didn't even try. Notes of coffee and chocolate are apparent, but not as dominating as I'd like. The vanilla notes are hidden behind what seems to be a bit of unsavory tinny hops on the finish. I only began to notice the vanilla about half way through. While there is a lot going on in this stout, it just didn't seem to come together. Perhaps this would be a good one for the cellar to let it mellow out and come together.

3.17/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Good beer, but body too thin. Waay too much coffee. Enjoyed it, but won't buy it.

3.18/5  rDev -27.2%

I have shipped alot of these around so figure it is about time review one.

It looks good, black with a small tan head, nice lacing

Smells of roasted malts, coffee, burnt toast

Taste was of coffee, burnt toast, ash, roasted malts, alcohol and a slight earthy hop flavor.

Was decent mouth feel, not as coating as i would have liked.

I didnt care for this one, the 12% was a little too hot for me, perhaps some cellar time would make this one better.. or maybe because i drank it on the heals of an abyss.

3.18/5  rDev -27.2%

This was served in a Snifter glass during dessert.
Reviewed with the help of wheatman106, Jimmy and Chrissy

Appearance- The deep dark brown was no surprise with 1 1/2 fingers of head. The head was frothy and the lacing left on the glass was slightly spotty.

Smell- The initial scents that came to mind were dark roast malts, with coffee, and roasted hops. As this brew warmed to room temperature the coffee really cut through the malts and hop.

Taste- The opening of this brew gave me a nice roasted coffee and very very subtle dark malts, but from the middle to end of this brew an extreme hop profile was apparent along with a burnt coffee taste lingered as I passed off my glass to the other tasters. When paired with the dessert and at a warmer temperature, the sweetness mellowed out the dark malts in the opening and helped mellow out the burnt taste of coffee from middle to end and made it quite enjoyable.

Mouth Feel- The full bodiedness of this brew coated my palate initially with coffee and hops but the flavors developed and the strength of the roasted hops and coffee created a lingering coffee hop well after my last sip.

Drinkability- For this style of beer I can see why is is on the top 100 but as far as having another I'll save this bottle for a nice cold winter night.

3.2/5  rDev -26.8%

Edit 7/30 I fucking hate inconsistency and if I remember correctly this brewer is the definition of inconsistency, last year I had a Yulesmith summer that was incredible, then I purchased 2 more that were flat, and terrible. Got an $8 32 oz bomber tonite, couldn't wait. Yet somehow the bottle was so much better, how is that possible? This draught stunk, no chocolate, no coffee, all vinous character, very boring. Maybe that's why the keg (according to the beer guy at whole foods) was so cheap? Whatever, what a disappointment. Brewers, here's a clue GET SOME F'ING CONSISTENCY.

Another great beer in a year filled with great beers I really don't know how to rate them anymore I guess I'll have to compare. I bought this on someone's comment, this crushes stone imperial stout. Well, we wouldnt go that far. I'd rate it just a bit below that.

Black, big chocolate head, no carbonation issues at all. Actually, the carbonation and mouthfeel are just about perfect. Reviewers note, I had 2 Yulesmith Summer bottles last year that were completely flat.

Chocolate coffee aroma, big coffee chocolate vanilla cream and sugar tastes. Notes of dark fruits, really sweet at times with a big dry bitter finish. This beer just sizzles on the tongue, no hint of alcohol at all, very drinkable I went thru this bomber like nobody's business. And then I stood up, wow this was fantastic.

3.23/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours almost black, with very little head. Smells of intensely of coffee and dark chocolate. Tastes the same, except very sweet. Actually, too sweet and too much coffee for me; quite lopsided. Needs more bitter flavor to balance out the sweetness. Took me quite awhile to finish the glass. This is a very rich, sweet and coffee-tasting beer, more than I care for. I'm sure it's just the beer for someone who love coffee, but it's just not the right one for me.

3.23/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured a deep thick black with a nice dark tan head that dissipated quickly. Smells of chocolate, coffee, roasted malts and caramel. The smell got me really excited to taste because it smelled very complex and thick. Taste was a letdown, very bogged down by the coffee beans. Tastes like an over extracted coffee. Very sour and acidic. Mouthfeel is not as thick as I expect from a stout this big. Drinkability is low because of the acidity.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company