AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Ratings: 6,843 |  Reviews: 1,702
4.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a taster glass.

A: Black as night with a one finger off-white head that lingered. Thick lacing.

S: Dark chocolate, anise, molasses, some light coffee in the distance.

T: OMG! Roasty, toasty dark chocolate intermingled with anise, molasses and leather. I get a pop of coffee on the finish that's smooth with low bitterness. Even a hit of vanilla Then the 12% slides in for the kill. Smile and sip again.

M: Medium to high with medium, thick carbonation.

O: A superior stout that overwhelms the taste buds in the best way possible. Sexy, sultry, smooth and decadent. It only improves with some warmth. Sip and savor. Share with friends. Find!

4.2/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Super dark brown. Almost black, but no, it's the darkest of browns. Head is minimal and what does linger does so as a tiny dark khaki collar. Some carbonation is present. Pours nice and viscous without looking syrupy.

Smell: Leather, dark fruits, baker's chocolate, bitter cocoa, and day old coffee. All the right aromas are there. Deeply roasted, burnt, and a touch of char. Scrape the bottom of the burnt malt barrel. Big coffee notes with a syrupy booziness rounding out the back. Chocolate covered espresso beans.

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Taste: Super burnt. Over extracted coffee and the harsh bite of fresh espresso. Loads of bitter chocolate. Roasted malts are crazy huge and push well in to charred territory. Lingering hints of fresh pipe tobacco and licorice. Some minor hints of milk chocolate layered throughout. As it warms some rich fresh-brewed coffee notes pull through, but it reminds me a lot of chocolate covered espresso beans.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body that pushes toward full but never makes it. Carbonation is minimal, but comes through just enough to break up the body. Mildly creamy and super smooth.

Overall: Solid. Loads of flavor and it's all in the right place. Loses a little overall as the malts are a bit heavy on the burnt char lacks any balancing sweetness. Solid and worth finding, drinking, and cellaring.

3.3/5  rDev -24.5%

Been wanting to try this for awhile, so I was excited to see it offered at Rattle N Hum. The bottle we shared was served far too cold, so I let it warm up before getting critical.

A: pitch black, literally zero head, mild lace. Speedway Stout is purported to be a top-tier imperial stout, and I expected much more in this department.

S: smells *very* hot. Booze, chocolate, booze, and faint traces of coffee. Did I say booze? Zero aromatic complexity. Doesn't make me giddy with every whiff like the other top stouts in this category.

T: first sip was very cold, bland, and disappointing. Waited until it warmed up, then tasted again. Chocolate, roasted malt, sweet malts, mild coffee, and then plenty of booze. Lacks complexity and refinement, and doesn't hide its strength well. Reminds me of countless other mid-level imperial stouts. A decent beer, but wholly unimpressive.

M: its big, silky, smooth body is the only saving grace here. Definitely the best part of this brew.

D: about average for a 12% beer, but well below average in comparison with other top imperial stouts. Strong amount of alcoholic warmth as it goes down. Pretty heavy too, but this is usually not a point of contention for me. I'll be generous with a 3. Glad I shared this bottle.

I opened this bottle with high expectations and was let down every step of the way. This is in sharp contrast to a beer like Dark Lord: I again came in with high expectations, but was absolutely blown away on all fronts. My hopes for Cigar City's Marshal Zhukov were also high recently; that brew proved itself at least satisfactory on every level and excelled in mouthfeel. Can't say anything similar here.

Speedway Stout really let me down. I actually wish the bottle were musty or stale so I could chalk it up to those problems, but that was simply not the case. In two words, it's overhyped and unimpressive.

This is not a bad beer by any stretch, but expecting something special from this beer will leave you disappointed.

4.24/5  rDev -3%

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured at room temperature, in the comfort and quiet of my room, into an AleSmith Decadence elongated Belgian tulip glass.

Pours black and viscous, as used motor oil, with a resilient three-finger chocolate head that settles to a half-inch.

Smells of roasted cocoa beans and coffee, some cinnamon spice and detectable sweet notes of dried fruit.

Very dense on the palate, with a nice tingly and warm alcohol finish.

Very little bitterness present despite AleSmith using the most hops on this beer (they balance it with sugars). Tastes of roasted cocoa beans, dried prunes, and cinnamon-like spices. A perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness.

Overall, a very well balanced Imperial Stout. I'd say I would prefer this beer chilled by a few degrees for a refreshing complement. At 12% abv, a ton of different hops, and produced by the best microbrewery around, Speedway Stout is a brewer's masterpiece that will soothe even the savage beast.

3.86/5  rDev -11.7%

750ml : tulip snifter
from notes

Black body, creamy, dense brown head.

Earthy coffee, lightly roast malt.

More roasty malt blends into earthy coffee. Light cocoa notes.

Medium body. Fair amount of viscosity. Low-medium carbonation.

Big flavors as expected for the style. Coffee blends well with roasty malt and compliments cocoa notes.

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

big bottle into a pint glass. bottled 12/15/15, so 10 months old.

body is black as the blackest night. generous oatmeal colored head leaving excellent lacing.

strong malt background stout aroma, not getting the chocolate or coffee. does smell damn good though.

an excellent tasting imperial stout. coffee tones appeared after the beer had warmed a little. not bitter or overly roasted, pretty smooth. the 12abv is incredibly well hidden, but i took my time with this one and only mildly buzzed.

somewhere between medium and full on the mouth, a faint alcohol burn in the back of the mouth, and a lingering stout finish. Rolls beautifully around the tongue.

all in all a top notch imperial stout, extremely drinkable, but must be treated with respect. looking forward to the next one.

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml into a wine glass. Bottle was stamped " bottled on 11/25/13".

A- pours an opaque Black color with a dark tan head that holds for quite a while before residing. Fantastic lacing throughout the glass as I drink this brew. And I kid you not...the lacing was so perfect that it continued as the beer warmed and had the appearance of a Classic Italian espresso!

S- smells of sweet malt and dry coffee with hints of bitter chocolate Nibs. I also detect an array of caramel on the finish. I detect zero ether or ethanol aroma at all, impressive of the style and abv at 10% abv.

T- as I sip this brew I detect strong roasted malts and intense coffee notes. There is some bitter chocolate as I swallow the beer and then lick my lips. This brew is delicious!

M- very soft on the tongue with low carbonation and a very comfortable palate. No harsh flavors from the malt. No harsh ethanol from the abv. It is actually undetectable! One of the smoothest beers of this caliber I have ever experienced!

O- quite the imperial coffee stout. This beer has an Extremely delicious, virtuously undetectable 12% abv that I never noticed until I woke up and hour late for work. If my boss is erasing this, then you understand what I'm talking about. It hit me HARD!

Enjoy this beer with dessert, a shot of espresso, or with what I ate....6 Peanut butter eggs. You could even do a spoonful of peanut butter and I think that would compliment this brew perfectly!!!!

4.61/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Received this beauty from fbm115 (thanks!)
Pours a deep, dark black with a HUGE froathy tan head. Smells just like the bottle says: Roasty, toasy, and coffee with a subtle sweetness in the nose.
Sweet up front with an aggressive bitterness in the back end. Very drinkable. Slight alcohol taste in the end, glad I have another in the cellar as it might mellow out with some age on it.

4.32/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

750mL bottle into tulip. there is some sort of laser coding towards the crown, but I cant make out what it is.

A: just a shade under pitch black. frothy brown head is massive. retention is good with a coat of lacing left behind.

S: some coffee, but not as in-your-face as I expected/wanted. slightly umani-like. smells dry. tons of dark, dark chocolate. roasty and inviting.

T: starts sweet, boatloads of chocolate. I find it more chocolate focused than coffee. I know coffee aroma/flavor can diminish over time and seeing that I have no idea how old this bottle is perhaps that could be the cause. lots of tobacco in the finish. bitter dark chocolate.

M: carbonation is spot on. smooth and silky is just what this massive body needs.

D: simply put, a really good stout. drinks more like a bottle of wine than a beer. certainly tasty, however I was hoping to be a little more blown away here. I suppose I blame that on the hype around this brew. regardless, always worth drinking, find it, buy it, drink it.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

I've been meaning to get to this one forever. Well it's an awesome cool crisp late summer evening so I think this fits the bill.

Poured from the bottle into my duvel tulip.

A: Wow talk about a beauty. The beer is so black I think it's sucking light in from the room I'm in. Beautiful waves of cascading carbonation look like a waterfall of chocolate milk. Huge three finger mocha hued head sets up and refuses to leave. After an agonizing wait a thick coating of lace is left around the glass.

S: Sweet and rich milk chocolate are the first thing to greet my nose. Like melted chocolate ice cream. Plenty of roasted malt and black coffee are present as well. Just a hint of campfire. As it warms further I can pick up hints of dark fruit and molasses. This beer is giving the Abyss a run for it's money as my favorite big stout.

T: Bitter dark chocolate up front slowly fades into fire roasted coffee beans. Molasses and black cherries are present as well. The flavor isn't as spectacular as the nose but only by a slim margin.

M: full chewy body, thick like motor oil, light carbonation

D: Overall a wonderful beer. Well worth it's place on the top 100.

4.57/5  rDev +4.6%

750ml into a tulip. Pours brown bear at midnight dark. One finger big bubble head, I can see myself wave in the largest yet leaves sticky lacing.

Top of the line aroma, big, dark and rich, as fine as there is. Easy to linger, a delicious smell.

The taste exceeds what the nose promised. The best single word description is rich. The dark chocolate bitter aftertaste is unmatched. This is a big beer, a special occasion beer, a sipping beer, ultimate cold winter night in front of a fire beer, a damn fine beer on a Sunday afternoon beer.
cheers
jd

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%

4.77/5  rDev +9.2%

Almost no head coming up on this brew as for a tiny lace with very fine and lasting bubles. Black beercolor.
Nose is sweet caramel in coffee with Chops and malty slightly burnt. Drinking this brew you get a taste of sweetchocolate-coffee, caramellic wit a heavy bitter and burnt aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is very oily and with this taste overwelming and heavy. Drinkability was very good while drinking this 750 sitting dry outside and watching a great thunderstorm at night, perfect combination.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.53/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml poured into a weiß glass.

Pours a pitch black oily color with a huge fluffy thick dark brown head it's awesome. Nose is chocolate, smoke and bitter coffee, it's very rich and nice.

Taste is fairly roasty, chocolate and rxh complex tasty malt. It's super rich and tasty and just gets better Jen it warms. Easily one if the best stouts I've had, it's really good.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company