Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

AleSmith IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

#867

Ratings: 4,241 |  Reviews: 1,343

2.08/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.24/5  rDev -47%

2.38/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

22oz into tumbler. Review from notes.

A- Nice golden color, snowcapped ivory-white head, sticky icky lacing that is pretty thick. Great IPA appearance.

S- Piny hops, a bit of grapefruit. Pine resin is pretty potent.

T- The pine sap is here, but there's a soapy quality to it that just doesn't jive with me. I'm finding it to be a bit sweet, too. Hmm. As I keep drinking, the sugary sweetness becomes oppressive. And what the hell is this soapy taste? No thanks.

M- A bit too sweet, good carbonation though. Decent body.

D- Actually drainpoured this one. The soapy sweetness was not vibing with me at all. Not sure if it was an off-bottle, but it was just not enjoyable. This beer looked and smelled so good and was a huge letdown. Perhaps I'll have to get another bottle. My least favorite Alesmith to date.

2.4/5  rDev -43.3%

Says a review is optional, it is not

2.5/5  rDev -40.9%

2.51/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.54/5  rDev -40%

No bottling date visible.

Clear amber, good head. Thick resins and sweeter than expected for 7%. Good carbonation. High, lingering bitterness. Thicky mouthcoating.

Sorry, this is one of those old-school IPA that falls significantly below what's currently expected in the style.

2.62/5  rDev -38.1%

2.62/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -35%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

(bottle, 22oz) Good at first, but one dimensional. Has a nice hempy/dank taste at first but that is all I tasted throughout. Kinda leaves you looking for something else at the end. (2/8/15)

2.77/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.83/5  rDev -33.1%

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a huge foamy head with standard retention. Aroma of citrus hops is quite powerful and dominate. Taste is also overpowered by citrus hops with a metallic aftertaste. There is some caramel malt that is discernable though very faint. I’m not sure I see why this is rated so highly. Overall, this beer is one-dimensional and not properly balance.

2.85/5  rDev -32.6%

This is no where near my favorite but not my least favorite IPA. I won't go buy it again. Burnt crystal malt is heavy. I'm not sure but I think i'm picking up some hop extract in this one. Whatever it is it is a major turn off. Yeah... San Diego has many more better tasting IPAs than this one. I don't recommend it.

2.9/5  rDev -31.4%

22oz bottle in New Belgium snifter. No freshness date...

A: Pours a clear golden amber with a huge off-white head that took forever to slowly fade into a thick film with a butte of foam in the center of the glass. Thick lines of lacing were left down the glass.
S: Sweet notes of pine, grapefruit and tropical hops fill my nose. I can detect the sweet undertones of caramel and dried orange peel.
T: A good balance between sweet malt and bitter pine and citrus. Finish is lightly bitter. Notes of tobacco in the aftertaste.
M: Medium body with a clean mouthfeel. Pretty decent amount of carb, but it's soft and smooth.
D: I don't think this bottle is the freshest, but it's still very drinkable. The hops could be fresher. Put bottle dates on the bottles dammit. I'm going to go ahead a slam the smell and taste categories with the number score, but I'll try another bottle at some point that is hopefully fresher. Sure wish they had bottle dates...

2.91/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

My search for an IPA I like continues. Purchased a non-refrigerated 22 ounce bottle of this one from Whole Foods, chilled it to what I believe was a couple of degrees below 50 and poured it into a pint glass. Found the beer to be overwhelmingly hoppy. I see the beer is dry hopped. Maybe I need an IPA that's not dry hopped, if there is such a thing. Maybe it's California IPAs that I don't enjoy. I believe that's all I've tried so far. Maybe I ought to try a "session IPA". If I am anything, it is persistent. I will keep looking.

2.93/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bomber, procured at the BevMo in Cypress, CA,

A: Pours a dark, murky amber, excellent head, though, very creamy and fluffy, leaves excellent lacing in a pint glass.

S: As expected, fragrant hops, with lots of pine and citrus.

T: Upfront, the problem I have with this beer is its alcohol content, the alcohol is too robust for this style, it felt like I was drinking a 10-11% beer instead of 7%, other than that, it's standard IPA, very citrusy, and hoppy.

M: Chewy, resiny, and warming.

D: Drinkability is lowered due to the high alcohol effect. Not a bad beer, I've had this beer several times and it just hasn't impressed me. Which is weird since I've loved the other offerings from Alesmith that I have had, most notably Yulesmith (Both Summer and Winter), and Speedway. The first couple of times that I had had it were bad batches, with almost no carbonation, so I discounted my opinion, and would try again. I've had it about 3 other times since then, including the review beer, and aside from the appearance, it just doesn't do it for me. Go figure, though I recommend, however, that any IPA fan try it, if they can get it, it is certainly well made, just not for me.

2.99/5  rDev -29.3%