AleSmith IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

#858

Ratings: 4,237 |  Reviews: 1,342
3.18/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a golden yellow/orange. Very bright and glowing. Nice Duffy white soapy head with spotty lacing.
Aromas are quite dank and resinous; kind of a "hippie" smell if you get my gist. West coast cat pee, a ton of pine needles and bitter grapefruit.
The tastes begin with slight pale malt sweetness but is immediately overpowered with bitter dank resinous hops. Heavy pine and cat pee and bitter grapefruit once again. Kinda one dementional and boring. It's good but not amazing.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is sticky and resinous and bitter. Hops linger on the palate too much for my liking.
Overall this was not stellar in my opinion. Maybe I just don't like regular IPAs anymore, especially onesnthis bitter. I'm guessing they. Used Chinook in this beer which is a hop I detest because of it's high cat pee centric flavors. I will not be revisiting this one anytime soon.

3.18/5  rDev -24.8%

Looks like I'm ushering this beer into the Beers of Fame list with the 1000th review! Welcome to the club!

Bottled: unk

Pours honey with an etched surface and soapy white rim. Notes of grapefruit, honey, biscuit, resin, peach and a bit of grass; relatively malt forward for a CA IPA. Flavor is sweet and honey like. Not particularly bitter, plenty of lemon and tangerine, but nothing particularly assertive. I think the malts are overpowering in this example, and the bitterness needs a bit of help queuing up. Medium bodied with nice, slightly hi and sharp carb and an off dry finish. Decent beer, and I'd suggest it to an IPA newcomer. I wouldn't suggest it to a tried hop-head. Too much malty sweetness is similar to the 90min IPA.

First time trying this, 22 ounce bomber

A: Gold, nice frothy head, tons of lacing, looks on par for the style.

S: Pine bomb. All I smell is overwhelming pine and a little sweetness at the close.

T: This is one of the driest beers out there. Puckering dryness, pine tree flavor, sort of like licking a tree. Not very balanced, some sweetness at the close. Not much of a citrus or fruit presence.

M:The dryness is a bit overwhelming , I find it distracting . The water tastes very clean, but too dry for my taste

O: Have to admit I was underwhelmed with this and a bit disappointed stylistically. It's clearly a well crafted beer, but too one dimensionally hoppy and dry for my taste. I prefer Stone or Green Flash for a San Diego IPA fix.

Alesmith IPA

Pours slightly hazy golden color with very minimal bubbles. Chunky two finger off whit head

Aromas of sticky pine citrus and sweet tropical fruit.

Bunch of hop bitterness throughout with some citrus rind bitterness. Waiting for the fruit notes but never quite make it on the palate. There's something missing. Too hop forward, there's just not a sweet note in it.

Overall- it's okay. I got it in a trade. If I saw it on a shelf I wouldn't buy it.
Just waiting for that extra something at the end that doesn't happen.

3.18/5  rDev -24.8%

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for this one! 22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. No date...why the fuck not? Seriously.

Pours a pleasant golden brown hue, crystal clear with 1.5 inches of frothy off-white head. Nose is full of candied citrus. Smells great! Palate is bitingly bitter up front and through the middle but relaxes on the finish. Flavors of citrus peel are interrupted by amber malt and dried grains plus a little caramel. Flavors are fighting - not unified at all.

Notes: Glad to try it, won't seek it out again. Lost Overall points for no production dating! Going to stick with the dark monsters that these guys brew so well.

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

3.23/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured into a Founders snifter- clear light orange with some yellow highlights. 1 finger of white head. Some spotty lacing on the glass

From the initial aroma, this has a signature smell of a West Coast IPA- lots of grapefruit, tangerine, and possibly lime. I am also smelling plenty of pine, fresh cut grass, earthy hops, and alcohol.

Taste follows the smell- plenty of grapefruit, tangerine, some pineapple, pine and resiny hops. Then some sweetness from the malts kicks in, in the form of caramel. The finish is pine and booze. There is also some kind of soapy taste I am getting as well. Not very pleasant.

Medium body. Some light carbonation that tingles the tongue. Maybe a little too much carbonation. Somewhat sticky from the hop oils.

Overall, this beer did not live up to the hype for me. The alcohol and the bitterness are kind of abrasive. For a 7% beer, I did not think the alcohol would be so pronounced. Too much sweetness from the malts for my tastes. There is a combination of sweet, soapy, and alcoholic that is not doing it for me.

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear copper with two fingers of cream-colored head that fades into a nice cap with good lacing.

S: Oranges and grapefruit followed by dry, resinous pine aromas.

T: follows the nose. The finish is moderately bitter.

M: Medium body with mid-high carbonation

O: An IPA, overall. I'd like maybe a little less bitterness but that's my preference

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company