AleSmith IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,303 | Ratings: 4,035
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

First off: Big thanks go out to drewbage for the chance to sample this.

Alesmith pours a clear (cloudy as you get to the bottom of the 22oz bottle) medium amber with a 1/2 inch ivory head. Head recedes and leaves a good sticky lacing on the glass as you go.

Citrus hops greet the nose, piney grapefruit & apricot with a candied edge to the scent.

Front of the palate is a tart grapefruit bitterness. The midsip introduces just the faintest hint of caramel malt. Aftertaste is a piney bitterness, just begging you to come back for more.

Mouthfeel is a tad resinous, keeping it out of the top digits.

This dances painfully close to leaving a bad, overly bitter, aftertaste, but never gets there and instead is imminently drinkable.

This is beautiful. Very much worthy of its reputation. One of the very best IPA's I've ever had the pleasure of trying.

Wyll-

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

First time trying this, 22 ounce bomber

A: Gold, nice frothy head, tons of lacing, looks on par for the style.

S: Pine bomb. All I smell is overwhelming pine and a little sweetness at the close.

T: This is one of the driest beers out there. Puckering dryness, pine tree flavor, sort of like licking a tree. Not very balanced, some sweetness at the close. Not much of a citrus or fruit presence.

M:The dryness is a bit overwhelming , I find it distracting . The water tastes very clean, but too dry for my taste

O: Have to admit I was underwhelmed with this and a bit disappointed stylistically. It's clearly a well crafted beer, but too one dimensionally hoppy and dry for my taste. I prefer Stone or Green Flash for a San Diego IPA fix.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

1 Pint, 6 FL OZ. bottle into tulip glass.

A - Pours semi-cloudy golden, with a nice white head...- some good lacing.

S - Hops and lots of sweet citrus - some orange & grapefruit tones...

T - Smooth & Bright! A great hop kick at the top, followed by some citrus, then ending with a bit of pine-like spices...Pleasant & refreshing!!

M - Great carbonation! There's a good fullness. Present, but not 'too' much fruity/sweet flavors...The final pine/spice balances the beer out wonderfully!

O - This one is great!! I think what make this beer so good is the fine line of not over-doing 'it' in any particular area (hops, fruity-flavor, pine/spice, carbonation, and last but not least, alcohol level). VERY refreshing and will get again and...…Goin’ to look for a tap ASAP!!!

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

22 oz bottle purchased at BevMo San Luis Obispo
Looked good. Light orange with a big white frothy head that stayed longer than anticipated. Carbonation present throughout with lots of bubbles
Smelled good. Citrusy piney hops
Tasted good, Plenty of malt to accompany the heavy amount of hops
Mouthfeel was abit lacking for me. With the smell and taste, I expected a heavy feeliing to go along with it. But I was SLIGHTLY let down. Very slightly.
Drinkability wasn't super high as this was quite filling. A very good beer, but I thought it would be more.
Very good, recommended

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Beer is clear and a bright, golden orange color with noticeable active carbonation and almost 3 fingers of pillowy white dense foam. Unbelieveable head retention with fine, foamy lacing that clings all the way down the glass.

S: Floral and big citrus scents up front, followed by a doughy malt base. Crisp, clean and balanced.

T: Initial sip is bitter up front, with a malt sweetness that comes through on the finish. The malt is a bit more forward than the smell would indicate, and I'm struggling to find some of that nice grapefruit smell in the flavor. The floral and citrus are there, but the dominant hop flavor is the bitterness. Overall nice balance as some yeastiness cuts through the bitterness. ABV becomes noticeable as the beer warms. Finish lingers on the palate for awhile.

M: Well carbonated, but smooth and creamy rather than fizzy and bubbly. Bottle-conditioning definitely helps this beer. Medium-bodied overall.

D/O: Definitely not a session beer, and higher on the ABV scale than most IPAs, but definitely balanced, drinkable and tasty. 22 oz. servings and a bit more ooomph per bottle would probably limit me to one or two per evening before I switched it up.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

22oz Bomber from Liquor Wherehouse for $4.19 into AB tulip (pictured above).

A: Light crystal clear amber with nice tight 2 finger head even though I poured soft!

S: MMM. This is the best smelling beer I'ver reviewed so far. Hops and malts really come thorugh. Some grape fruit and lemon peel.

T: OMG! this is what ipa's are all about! If your lookin for balance you've found it. world class beer here.

M: Bottle conditioning really does wonders. It's a shame more brewers havent embraced this method(stone,moylans,marin,etc.) it really does so much more for a bottled beer as opposed to co2.

D: This is top notch for an aipa. So if thats your style I'm sure you have plenty in the fridge like I do! Cheers Alesmith (how do I join the cult?)

3.64/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to Mauerhan for this.

A- Typical IPA color with actually really good head retention.

S- Not as much hops as I would have thought up front. I get a little yeast in the nose with some lemon citrus.

T- Pretty good malt-to-hops balance for a west-coast IPA A surprisingly bitter at the end. Kinda disspoited after having Sculpin a few weeks ago.

M- Sort of a hot initial mouthfeel. Cooled down as it warmed. Pretty smooth.

D- Alright, but not great for an IPA. I wouldnt have the whole bomber as I shared with kfsv034. Slightly dissapointing brew.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Plenty of frothy, fat-rising foam, which takes its time settling down. Liquid is darker pale, edging toward orange.

The nose is hoppy: piney, earthy, grapefruit and pear. The taste is more of the same with a definite roasted character to the finish.
Medium thick mouthfeel with abundant carbonation. There is a bit of an alcohol presence on the palate, but it's not strong enough to adversely affect the drinkability too much.

This is a solid IPA, but it's not necessarily one of my faves.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to t0rin0 for this one...

Clear amber in color, huge, thick white head. Leaves tons of lacing. Great retention.

Smell is earthy, citrus hops-grapefruit, orange. Some light caramelly malts. Hint of spice.

Taste- exactly what I like in an IPA! Bitter, citrus hops, earthy, sweet malts. Creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol comes through a little as it warms, but it is a light, very welcome presence.

Excellent example of an IPA, I finished the bomber and still could've had more.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Acquired in a trade with mulletgrab...thanks!

A - pours a clear, bright orange with a small white head.

S - loads of piney and citrusy hops.

T - Citrus with a great piney aftertaste. Hops dominate here. Not much malt here...hops rule!

D - very drinkable...another IPA I could drink any day of the year. This one is exceptional.

I would definitely seek this beer out if I could buy it locally. I love it!!

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Amber in color with a pure white head that laces

S - Pine and citrus hop aroma

T - Hoppy, citrusy, slight bitterness.

M - Medium carbonation and medium in body

D - Balanced but extremely hoppy. Borders on being a IIPA, but I believe the low ABV holds it back from being so. Great beer, extremely drinkable, but rich as well.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank this with a pretty lady in bed. She had a hangover and this cured her right up. Fantastic IPA, lets' start there...

A - Beautiful golden color, like refined apple juice. Very good head retention and lacing round the glass.

S - Floral, light, crisp, citrusy, reminiscent of Pliney the Elder, which is saying a lot.

T - Initially syrupy like light honey or even mead, followed by citrus, namely grapefruit. Hops are well balanced by malts, which are slightly evident.

M - EXTREMELY smooth, not overly carbonated like most IPA's I've tried. Lingers long after the initial sip.

D - Definitely noteworty as a session beer..."Keep it comin' all night long."

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to Mikey711 for the bottle. Looking forward to this... I almost opened a few days after receiving, but I noticed a lot of swirling yeast in the bottom. I let it be for a few days.

A - Wow, 6 finger head on a VERY slow pour. I had to let it sit for a long time. As I drink, big globs of foam stick to the side of the glass even several minutes later. Looks like ice cream. Bright orange. A little haze.

S - Hello, west coasty IPA goodness. Bright citrus. Makes me want a fish taco just smelling it. Mmm.

T&M - This is dry - I expected a bit more malt backbone, but I like it. Surprisingly still a lot of carbonation. I figured it might have been lost in the head, but there is plenty to go around. It makes it full bodied and dry at the same time. Unique. Still nice citrus hops, and big ABV presence.

D - The hops don't burn out my tastebuds but it is still apparent this is a big beer. I'm really surprised at how dry it is though. I'm drinking it slowly, but enjoying it quite a bit.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Light ruby orange/ amber body, fluffy/creamy head with fast/moderate dissipation, almost no lacing, and retains a nice creamy rim.

S: Big on citrus. I picked up grapefruit(not surprising), gentle pine hop presence and settle sweet malt.

T: Pine hopes and grapefruit throughout, which is complemented by the sweet malt.

M: Smooth and almost velvety texture, low alcohol presence, and medium bodied.

O: Tasty and balanced is the best way to describe this beer. I do feel the malt regulates. This beer has been popular at my store and I now see why. I usually prefer bold hops, but for a regular ipa , this has good presence. I defiantly recommend and wish I got a second bottle.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

22 oz. Bomber, poured into a pint glass

Appearance is good. Golden but darker than many. 1/2" head that evaporates to just a thin layer. Lacing is nice, consistent as it flows down the glass.

Smell is nice, definitely an IPA but not a hop bomb. Citrus floats to the top but there is a bit of of breadiness to the smell.

Taste is excellent. Borders between an IPA and a Double IPA...not sure which class this falls in. But you definitely notice the hop dominance. Mild bitterness up front, tart middle with a hint of burnt something in there, stings a bit at the end with a piney flavor.

Mouthfeel is busy carbonation, not as oily as I would expect for the amount of hop flavor. Rich, thick beer almost oozes down your throat. Very dry finish with a slight alcohol burn. Not sure what is better about this beer, the taste or the mouthfeel. It all comes together soooo nicely.

Drinkability is pretty good at "only" 7.25% ABV. Two bombers. Very smooth, enjoyable as it goes down.

Great IPA. Not sure I would go so far as to say it's an Imperial/Double as it is very drinkable and doesn't kill your palate. A MUST for anyone who likes IPA's and Hops. Not as piney as Stone IPA, but definitely a quality competitor if not better than my favorite (former favorite?) .

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

A huge fluffy head as big as the burnt-orange copper liquid in the Duvel tulip glass rose and fell to a biscuit island and a fair amount of irregular lace.

The smell is the too-strong perfume type of hop assault you would get from smelling a hop oil extract and little else.

Taste is like the nose at the moment. It's a two dimensional pyramid of hop resin. What balance of grains finds its way into the taste is quickly and steadily beaten down until only the lupulin remains. True to style, this beer will have no problem making the long journey to India without spoilage.

In the mouthfeel, it's a little sharp up front but the oils of the hops quickly take care of that to become an easy-drinking smoothness.

Drinkability is high but pretty standard for this style. You can drink a fair amount of it without wanting to have something else right away.

This is a very satisfying brew that I would buy again to share as an example of the style but among all IPAs I think there are few better.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

This bomber arrived by way of BA Sloejams, a wicked awwwsumm dude.

I poured this beaut into my Stone IPA glass, it has a deep amber body with a thick creamy ivory head.

The scent is pure high alpha hops, lots of grapefruit aroma.

The taste is caramel malt backed with a huge hop juicyness. Like the aroma, primarily grapefruit flavors. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, with a moderate amount of carbonation. At 7% a bomber of Alesmith IPA can be plenty. I look forward to trying this one again soon.

Notes: I haven't been into IPAs in some time, but this one reminded me of how good they can be (in moderation), just SOLID. I enjoyed with some pepperoni and Dubliner cheddah.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

A very nice looking copper/peach color with a small bubbly head.
Hoppy aroma but not excessively so with some fruity background.
Excellent flavor, right up there with the best ipa's, perfectly balanced. Definitely a harmonious mix of ingredients.
Long, light hoppy linerging taste that lasts and lasts.
It's hard to imagine getting tired of this one, a challenge to the current "staple."

Picked this up while on vaca in San Diego.

Vibrant amber/orange pour with a frothy two finger head protruding up - thick bubbles leave behind little lacing, it's as if this head wanted to stick with its liquid counterpart as only small splotches of lace remain on the sides of my glass. Smells is piny, resinous, slightly citrusy and the faintest hint of minty spice all forged together to produce an entirely new hop combo I haven't experienced until now - also some sweet notes coming through from both hops and malt. The taste isn't as impressive as the aroma but it is up there, bitter piny hops follow by mellow caramel malt leave an oily sticky feeling on the palate - refreshing crisp and highly drinkable IPA with good carbonation as the bubbles still rise relentlessly from the bottom of my pint glass. As I stare at my score of all 4s I ponder why it says "good" by each category - this beer is better than good, it's fantastic.

Cheers!!

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

poured this into an ipa glass and it poured amber color with a nice white lacing that sticks to the glass. the smell is of grapefruit and pine. this brew has a bite, the taste is bitter like orange peel and pine. the feel is crisp and the dry finish is similar to tanons on the tongue. overall this is a refreshing ipa, it is not the best but its good.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured golden orange with two fingers of off-white head. Aroma is citrus and piney hops with some malty sweetness.

Taste is primarily hoppy and intense like an Imperial IPA, but with a malty sweetness that is often overpowered in other beers like this. Not quite an Imperial IPA, but more intense than most IPAs. Very well balanced in this regard.

Medium bodied with a bitter but sweet aftertaste that keeps me coming back for more. An excellent and well balanced brew, which will be a staple for me from now on.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a 22 oz bomber at the City Beer Store in San Francisco. I have heard great things about AleSmith so I was very excited to try the IPA. My first thought was this might be a weaker IPA than I typically enjoy because of the soft/clear color and lack of a big nose. The taste was enjoyable, but I didn't pick up any distinctive characteristics. It’s a well-made beer and enjoyable to drink, but it doesn’t compare to other IPA in terms of overall hoppy satisfaction. It actually seemed to have more in common with a good pale ale than an IPA. I would love to try it again off a tap and see how it compares to my first experience.

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle. Pours a murky amber color with lots of floating sediment (love the sediment!) and a thick off-white head. Aroma is hoppy with a strong pine nose to it. Flavor is nice and hoppy, with hints of grapefruit and a bitter pine finish to it. Another top-notch offering from Alesmith.

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%

I ended up with yet another bottle of this brew and decided it was time to rate it this time. This IPA is one of the better ones I've had. It pours slightly darker than golden, but with a slight haze (probably because of the bottle-conditioning), and with a minimal head...but one that persists until the last drop. I would call it attractive. The aroma is good with some nice hops, yet there's a bit of something else (slightly tart/almost stinky) I'm not a huge fan of. I've had the same thing in some other beers too, and I don't think it's a flaw. I guess it's just some characteristic from ingredients and/or the brewing process I don't find especially pleasing. I do like the flavor more than the aroma. A clean, malty flavor provides the basic background for the hops to shine. I'm guessing there's a mix of hops used here...quite possibly some various C-hops. The finish is fairly dry with a lingering hop flavor and bitterness. Right now, I'm being reminded of Bear Republic's Racer 5 (which I also like...especially fresh on tap.) In the end, I recommend Alesmith IPA and wish it and the rest of Alesmith's lineup were available back here in the SE.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

22oz bomb bottle poured into Great Dane Pub & Brewing imperial pint glass; poured cold, warmed as tasted
A - Clear amber/orange with a thin head that quickly dissipates to an even thinner ring around the edges.
S - A nice mix of caramel sweetness and a hint of hops, with a suggestion of alcohol in there as well.
T - In a word, fantastic. Great, great beer. Dull hoppiness hits first, a bit hard to discern. Then the great mid-palate comes in, with just a perfect level of caramel sweetness, which blends perfectly with a mango/orange-lemon rind bitterness. My favorite part of this beer is at the end; while your tongue is drying out from the earthy hoppiness, there's still a lingering background of sweetness, barely perceptible, that stays for quite a while. The urge to have another sip of beer is put off by this lingering flavor, as it is so pleasant.
M - Low carbonation and tiny bubbles lend a smooth mouthfeel.
D - Awesome, despite fairly high ABV, don't taste it all. Beer is so delicious that it could get you in trouble.
Very surprised by this one; had it in the fridge for a bit, trying others before it. Was hard to get and now gotta figure out how to get more! Great stuff - get this beer!

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company