AleSmith IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Ratings: 4,185 |  Reviews: 1,333

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer pours a lovely amber color with a decent bit of foam. The nose is well balanced with a strong malt presence and some nice, piney hops. The nose is fairly malty. The taste is very clean, and has a nice does of piney hops. The beer is quite clean and the bitterness does not linger unpleasantly on the tongue.

This is a very nice IPA, one of my favorites. Very clean, very piney and with a nice malt backbone.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

A sweet new find at my local super (for anyone in Dutchess county area Fresh Town has a good good selection!). 22 oz. bomber. Appropriately warmed. Poured an extremely clear golden yellow color with a generous white head. Plenty of lacing stuck to the side. The nose is highly potent with pine redolence and notes of grapefruit. The taste is all bittering hops in the fore. During the middle of the blush there is some slight aromatic hop presence, but the finish returns to that super bitter pine flavor. Mouthfeel was slightly scratchy, but plenty of crispness as well. I could probably drink a couple of these, but the hops would pretty much prevent me from enjoying anything else in the same evening. Good stuff.

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

I drink this regularly; in fact, it is probably my favorite IPA.

It is one the first West Coast IPAs, I really got into when moving to California. When I first tried it, I liked it but I wasn’t use to the enormous amount of hops. I was a pussy. Now I can’t get enough it, it’s remarkable.

Cascade hops are now pretty much my best friends. West Coast IPAa are a staple of my refrigerator and anytime I can step to a Double, Triple, Imperial – anything, anyway you want to call something with absurdly high hops in it – I’m all about it. What really elevates Alesmith’s IPA above and beyond the truly great Cali IPAs is the way it has a slight sweetness than keeps the hops at bay. It ties it all together in a nice, smooth manner.

I really can’t say enough good things about this beer. I send to my friends on the East Coast – who, unfortunately cannot get it there. I dream about when I sleep. Seriously, just go out and get yourself one, if you can.

3.79/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a snifter from a 22 oz bottle.

A - Tangerine color with a beautiful fluffy 2 finger head. The head has some staying power. You can scoop it of teh top like cotton candy. Only more delicious.

S - Big huge aroma of citrus & pine hop goodness. This smells like a huge Imperial IPA. A good one.

T - Fresh squeezed tart grapefruit, lemon/lime peel, earthy pine character. Some bready caramel like malt flavors in front as well make this a fantastic tasting IPA.

M - Sticky. Is that a mouthfeel characteristic? If it isn't it should be. Silky feel with a dry hoppy finish.

D - Good. Line em up. I'll be here as long as they're available.

This is tastier than many IIPAs as far as hop character goes. Of any brew that is called a standard IPA, this is my favorite. Is San Diego style IPA an official style yet?

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25