IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Ratings: 4,303 |  Reviews: 1,359

3.02/5  rDev -28.6%

3.03/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

3.04/5  rDev -28.1%

3.06/5  rDev -27.7%

I had been waiting for this beer for a couple of years, so maybe that is why I have rated it so low.
I could have gotten this beer through a trade or the net, but my rule is: I have to travel to a place where the beer is sold. I take many road trips and getting the beers I have been waiting to try makes the trip that much more special. I know a lot of you out there feel the same way.
With that being said, this beer was a serious letdown. I guess I was expecting more of a "West Coast IPA" when I tried it, and it never delivered. The smell was neutral. The initial taste was almost burnt malt with a hop bitterness I could only find after I assured myself it MUST be in there somewhere!
There is no malice intended in this review at all. I seriously wanted to love this beer, but I ended up being disappointed. This isn't a bad beer by any means, but stack it up against other IPAs in a BLIND tasting and I'd bet the reviews are way lower.

3.09/5  rDev -27%

3.1/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.1/5  rDev -26.7%

Imbibed at Pacific Beach Tap Room 12/28/11.

Sits an clear golden orange with a half finger head. Very thin, consistent lacing spread across the far side of the glass. Flowery nectar hops, citrus, and a bit of grass bitterness. Biscuity pale malt comes through clear. Very wet hop flavor. Potent grassy ivy, very bitter. Floral characteristics have disappeared completely. Coppery bitterness lingers with the hop oil. Medium body, pretty acidic, and medium finish.

This is bordering on too acidic for me. I might enjoy this one a few beers into the evening, but with a fresh palate it's too harsh. It's too aggressive on the tongue, lashing you for not bowing to it's hoppy glory. I love hoppy IPAs, but this is just a bit too far. It's very harsh, which isn't a bad thing, it's just not my thing. Color and aroma are very good, the flavor just lacks IMHO. Maybe their other beers have raised the bar too much for me though.

3.13/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was super psyched to get this beer, based in the high ratings. Didn't love it. Great look of light Amber. Good lace on the glass. Skunky smell. I don't get any fruit notes in the taste. Disappointed, but maybe it's just me.

IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company