Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

AleSmith IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

#866

Ratings: 4,241 |  Reviews: 1,343

3.02/5  rDev -28.6%

3.03/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

3.04/5  rDev -28.1%

3.06/5  rDev -27.7%

I had been waiting for this beer for a couple of years, so maybe that is why I have rated it so low.
I could have gotten this beer through a trade or the net, but my rule is: I have to travel to a place where the beer is sold. I take many road trips and getting the beers I have been waiting to try makes the trip that much more special. I know a lot of you out there feel the same way.
With that being said, this beer was a serious letdown. I guess I was expecting more of a "West Coast IPA" when I tried it, and it never delivered. The smell was neutral. The initial taste was almost burnt malt with a hop bitterness I could only find after I assured myself it MUST be in there somewhere!
There is no malice intended in this review at all. I seriously wanted to love this beer, but I ended up being disappointed. This isn't a bad beer by any means, but stack it up against other IPAs in a BLIND tasting and I'd bet the reviews are way lower.

3.09/5  rDev -27%

3.1/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.1/5  rDev -26.7%

Imbibed at Pacific Beach Tap Room 12/28/11.

Sits an clear golden orange with a half finger head. Very thin, consistent lacing spread across the far side of the glass. Flowery nectar hops, citrus, and a bit of grass bitterness. Biscuity pale malt comes through clear. Very wet hop flavor. Potent grassy ivy, very bitter. Floral characteristics have disappeared completely. Coppery bitterness lingers with the hop oil. Medium body, pretty acidic, and medium finish.

This is bordering on too acidic for me. I might enjoy this one a few beers into the evening, but with a fresh palate it's too harsh. It's too aggressive on the tongue, lashing you for not bowing to it's hoppy glory. I love hoppy IPAs, but this is just a bit too far. It's very harsh, which isn't a bad thing, it's just not my thing. Color and aroma are very good, the flavor just lacks IMHO. Maybe their other beers have raised the bar too much for me though.

3.13/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was super psyched to get this beer, based in the high ratings. Didn't love it. Great look of light Amber. Good lace on the glass. Skunky smell. I don't get any fruit notes in the taste. Disappointed, but maybe it's just me.

3.16/5  rDev -25.3%

Ok so it is always hard for me to find a fresh bottle of this. I have bought maybe 5 bottles and none were fresh enough IMO to review so now I'm giving up and reviewing what I can get. If this stuff is not comin off the shelves fast enough to be decently fresh then it tells me something as well.

Pours a clear golden color with huge foamy head. It looks like there is a ton of carbonation. Great lacing

Aroma is typical American hops with citrus and pine. Smells ok but not a strong aroma.

Taste is more bitter hops than flavor hops. Not as great as some other IPA's I have had and I think should deserve a spot in the top 100 more than this beer.

Mouthfeel is like champaign carb. Way too much.

Overall it's a good beer and I never see it on tap at the usuall places and if I ever do get some fresh I will re review but it's not worth trading for or purposefully seeking out.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company