AleSmith IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,315 | Ratings: 4,090
3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

*Review sample was bottled 11/30/15*

A- Dark orange body out of the light. But in the light, the body color is a nice honey, yellow color. It is on the hazy side, but I do not notice any sediment in the beer. The head is 2 finger, frothy, and bright-white in color. Head died to a nice 1 finger in size. It is leaving some very nice lacing. Great looking west coast style IPA> But as of lately, I'm really fond of the New England "hazy" IPA/Pale Ale look.

S- Lots of pineapple and sweet bready malts. I also get the typical grapefruits in there as well. I detect some caramel notes as well. Light notes of pine and leather. Pretty standard west coast IPA, but good.

T- This is how a good west coast IPA should taste. It's fairly balanced between the hop notes and the malty taste. I notice that compared to New England style IPAs that this has a darker, caramel malt, kind of taste. Upfront I get the pineapple and grapefruit notes. Light pine notes and some oily, resinous notes. Slightly dank towards the end, but I'd say Alesmith IPA finishes fairly clean. It's not overly dry.

F- The body is medium in feel. It's crisp, clean, and pretty refreshing. This doesn't quite drink like citrus juice in the way some New England style IPAs do, but I'd say the drinkability is quite high on this.

Overall this is a great tasting west coast IPA. It's not too bitter at all. And it's not super, super dank. I can't stand an IPA or Imperial IPA that is way too hoppy and dank. It's almost undrinkable to me. This is really well balanced between the malts and hops. I tend to like the IPA's that are on the citrus juice side of the mouthfeel, but this a great IPA I would never hesitate to drink when I'm in the mood for this style.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Memorable Qualities: This is an exceptionally well crated IPA that satisfies my hop cravings in the nose and on the tongue, while not blasting my face off. Definitely in the west coast style, I think this stands with Blind Pig at the top of the style.

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear copper with two fingers of cream-colored head that fades into a nice cap with good lacing.

S: Oranges and grapefruit followed by dry, resinous pine aromas.

T: follows the nose. The finish is moderately bitter.

M: Medium body with mid-high carbonation

O: An IPA, overall. I'd like maybe a little less bitterness but that's my preference

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

Had this out of a bottle.

This poured a murky orange teak, no head.
It smelled of sweet, juicy, fresh squeezed grapefruit- a fantastic nose, I kept smelling it!

It tasted not as bitter as I would have expected it to with all of that grapefruit, but it had more of a light, sweet grapefruit aftertaste.

It had mild carbonation.

This one lacked a little for me because the nose was so fantastic but the taste did not follow suit. This was my least favorite of the evening.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A 22 ounce bomber poured into a Nonic Imperial Pint glass. The bottle was dated 12/05/13. I love silk-screened labels.

Appearance - A hazy copper color. Big, lumpy head that stays around for a while. Very good stickage on the side of the glass. A fine looking IPA.

Smell - Big hop hit. Grapefruit. Slightly sour. There is a whiff of malt sweetness in the distant background.

Taste - Bitter. Hoppy. Grapefruit. Peppercorns.

Mouth - Fizzy. Bitter.

Overall - This is a good, but not great, IPA. The beer lacks a solid malt foundation to build upon. As a result, the beer has a bitter yet thin feel to it. It lacks the overall balance of a Sierra Nevada or Firestone IPA. I am, however, giving this beer the benefit of the doubt because it hails from San Diego. Also, the bomber bottle is very cool.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass.

The pour is a hazy gold with two fingers of white head. There is nice retention and good lacing.

The nose is mostly citrus (orange) with some piney and floral notes. There is also a hint as to the alcoholic content. The taste is more of the same; the pine really stands out. At the finish, as the bitterness subsides, a bready flavour takes over.

Mouthfeel is creamy with a nice amount of carbonation. Drinkability is high; now I wish I had bought more than one bottle (at least Kentucky isn't _that_ far).

This is just an overall good beer. I only wish I could buy it closer to home.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Zatec fluted glass. Got less than a finger of white foamy head. Bubbles persist, and there's excellent lacing. Color is orange/amber. Smells - pine up front, some citrus, a bit of Mr. Clean (but in a good way.) Some sweet caramely malt as well, but not overpowering. Very clean. Flavors are very piney and lemony. Again, reminiscent of Mr. Clean (though I've never had a sip of it.) Delicious clean finish, not much lingering bitterness. At 7.5 it's pretty bold for a single IPA, but only a gentle warmth lingers. Two 22ozs in one night would not be out of the question.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

22oz bottle with no bottled on or freshness date, poured into Hair of the Dog tulip, reviewed on 9/9/11.

A: Pours a crystal clear golden color with fluffy whitish head that leaves some nice lacing around glass.

S: Sweet hops both citrus and other fruit with a hint of pine, some pale malt lingering beneath the hops.

T: Some hop bitterness from start to finish with a nice dose of fruity hops. Some sweet malt comes through towards the finish. Each sip leaves a nice lingering taste of hops.

M: Really crisp light-medium body with moderate-high carbonation and a pretty dry finish.

O: Solid IPA, not world class in my opinion but good and drinkable none the less.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Opening the bottle did not prepare me for the mountain of foam that billowed out when I poured this into my glass. Fat bubbles eventually formed in an everlasting (everforming?) head. Crazy carbonation rising through a golden-orange nearly clear liquid.

The first thing that attacked the nose was pine needle extract. Smelled very fresh, like I could hang it in my aging truck. Hmm.

Delicious. Not as hoppy as anticipated. Pleasantly bitter up front, and mellowing into what I can only describe as ... peanut butter. Yeah I've never tasted this before in a beer, and maybe my limited palate can't figure it out, but that's what it reminds me of. And I have to say, it's pretty amazing. Not amazingly complex.

Great carbonation, actually on the light side for an IPA. One of the most refreshing I've had, and just awesome drinkability. Dangerous.

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a hazy straw gold, a slight amber hue, with a quick head that leaves a ton of lacing. Aromas are of pale malt and earthy hops, not so inviting. Taste is a rush of hop bitterness, very grassy and earthy, fruit notes, dried apricot and pineapple. It has a nice mouth weight and an excellent drying finish. Overall pretty tasty, not your typical citrus bomb WCIPA.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly hazed golden yellow with lots of tiny carbonation rising gloriously from the bottom of the glass. Two finer pillowy honey-tinged off-white head with beautiful stiff, sticky sheeting lacing.

S - Hoppy hoppy hoppy! Cannabis and green herbs followed by zesty orange and grapefruit with a tinge of pine.

T - Exceptional. Wonderful full flavor with juicy citrus, resinous pine, and wildflowers with a subtle malt backbone which provides just enough of a foundation for the hops to run wild. There is an herbal, gin-like quality in the background... I can nearly taste juniper. Bordering on DIPA territory... and I like it.

M - Creamy and silky smooth medium to medium-full body. Carbonation settles down to a nice moderate level providing just enough lift. Dry, bitter finish lingers nicely.

D - AlesSmith crafts another great one. Very pleasing to drink. An excellent, high-quality west coast IPA for those who love the style.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

A Nice murky golden with a nice finger head. Some lacing.

S Pine, Citrus, malt and hops. Not as aromatic as I was expecting, but still a nice smelling beer.

T I'm getting a lot of orange, some grapefruit, sweet malt and of course the bitter hops. Bitterness is well balanced.

M Clean beer. Medium body. Nicely carbonated. Very crisp.

O What a great IPA! Very well balanced. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a light yellow color with a one finger thick white head. Smells of pine, pineapple, mango, orange peel, the slight burn of alcohol. Taste is grapefruit and a lingering resin bitterness.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at the Fridge

Poured into a British Imp. Nonic at my request. Thanks Futty.

Pours a very attractive, frothy, creamy ½” off white head which lasts. Very good to excellent lacing coats the side of the glass.
The color is medium dark amber with a bit of cloudiness. Beautiful. Classic looks.

The aroma hits you with very distinct, resiny, bitter, somewhat piney hops with smells of citrus and lemon. Very refined and elegant. Balanced and long lasting.
Followed by medium rich, biscuity malt which becomes more distinct as this ale warms. As the malt comes forward you notice really nice Ale yeast. That being said, the hops dominate the nose completely. Very enjoyable and wonderfully hop forward nose.

Crisp, distinct and bitter entry on the palate of very distinct pine/resin/citrus hops with nuances of lemon and spice, delicious and exceptionally enjoyable, followed by medium distinct, rich, malt with a refined, yeasty, toasted biscuit character.
The malt tries to come forward as this ale warms, but ultimately loses to the distinct hops
A very hop dominated flavor profile.
The medium crisp acidity and full, creamy, balanced body, along with fine, balanced carbonation and a medium to off dry sweetness really add to the enjoyment of this ale.

Very long finish of delicious bitter hops, with some malt coming and going. The hops totally dominate in the end with the hop oils lingering forever.

What wonderfully balanced and drinkable ale! Flat out delicious. The acidity, malt, and delicious hops all combine to make this a very pleasurable experience.
Highly recommended!

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not a bad IPA, definitely worth the whopping $6.99 price tag.
Pour - dark gold with a nice head
Smell - Big mix of fruits and hops
Taste - Nothing super spectacular here. Citrusy with an ending of hops, great for the cost
Overall - Easily drinkable, thicker than other IPAs I've had, but not bad

3.67/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a clear, light amber with a full white head.

The aroma is of sweet, pink grapefruit.

More grapefruit in the taste, supported by a clean grainy malt. Hop bitterness appears in the middle and lasts throughout. Aftertaste of tea leaves.

The beer is light, moderately carbonated, and has a dry finish.

I'm on the fence about this beer. There is a sweet grapefruit character in the beer that I really enjoy, but it needs more of a malt backbone. This is the first time I've had this beer. First impression is mediocre, but it's growing on me as I near the end of the 22oz. Could be the 7.25%ABV.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

A delicious dry piney, skunky IPA. Great lacing, pine and resin. Medium bodied. Hops are aggressive and make your mouth water in anticipation of more. Light alcohol sweetness warms the throat. An overlooked IPA out here. Let the reviews tell you. This is a great one.

Pours clear amber with thick (really thick) frothy head that is amazingly long lived. It looked like there was almost a fresh dollup of foam as I finished my slowly sipped glasss - exceptional.

Very fragrant floral aroma with a hint of rose and citrus. Nice. Not overblown. Not trying to outdo the brewery down the road - exceptional.

Perfectly balanced moderately bitter, very floral hops with a solid but not sweet malt base. Tastes and feels lighter than the 7% ABV. I truly think this is the best IPA I have had - exceptional.

Mouthfeel is basically perfect. Smooth, not syruppy, nicely carbonated but not fizzy. Exceptional

Please let me know if you find a more drinkable, better tasting IPA. I don't mean DIPA, but IPA. I think this is exactly what they should be. Nicely hopped, high alcohol content, and well balanced. Exceptional.

Why did I only buy one bottle?!? This beer almost makes me think I should knock a 1/2 point off some of the others I have reviewed. Awesome.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Pours a copper orange with thick slightly off white head that leaves plenty of lacing along the side of the glass.

S: More citrus hops seem to be in the forefront with piney hops in the background. Grapefruit and earthy tones are also detected.

T: The piney hops rush up in the taste of this beer and create a very calm bitterness. The fruity flavors give this beer some sweetness, while the hops make it more powerful throughout. It's an odd teetering between an AIPA and IIPA. Very interesting and deep taste that makes me think about one of those styles with every sip.

F: Medium body, with not a large amount of carbonation.

D: A fine drink from AleSmith. The dynamic taste made this drink disappear faster and faster from my glass. A very good IPA overall and would definitely have again.

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a hazy beautiful light amber with a massive head that lsts for a long time.

Smells of loads of tropical fruits, grape fruit, pineapple and passion fruit, some other exotic fruits that I seem to recognize but cant really place. There is a very light hint of piny resin as well, backing up the fruits.

Taste is... well, tired. Obviously there has been something great here, once, but as I live on the other side of the globe from San Diego.... :(

Well, what is there is some fruity and piny hops, but the bitterness is no where near balanced with hop flavours. Flavours are receeded too far and well, it just doesnt taste as good as I had hoped.

The mouthfeel here is probably the best thing with this beer, really luxurious and fresh, would really love to try this hyped beer fresh :(

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Very carbonated huge head. Tons of lacing. Kind of a light orange-ish color
S: Hops hops hops and tons of citrus; orange, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple.
T: Hops, orange, grapefruit. Smooth and refreshing. Not your typical west coast ipa and I love it. Nice play on the hops, bitterness and a malty forefront.
M/D: Oddly very creamy with a nice sweet and bitter taste. Very good beer and under the radar, not noticed as much as it should be. Could drink 2-3 bombers easily.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

22oz growler from bgthang.
Poured into a pint glass.

Poured a light amber / dark golden color. 1 finger head that dissipated quickly.
Aroma: floral hops , some citrus.
Taste: well balanced, not much hop bite .
Mouthfeel: good
Drinkability: very good.
A very nice IPA. not my favorite but on my short list. I would buy more of this if readily available.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

A big shout out to my Whole Foods in Valencia for stocking AleSmith. Highly appreciate it.

Poured into a tulip glass showed of its clear yellow hay hue, with lots of head retention, followed with some sticky lacing. Almost as sticky as Arrogant Bastard.

This is a very hop-forward beer, for a lack of better words. Smell is drenched with grapefruits, fantastic pine resin, citrus orange, and a big explosion on floral hops. I think I died and went into a hop coma from this intense aroma. Incredible to say the least.

Taste was a big burst of hoppiness that knocked me on my ass! This sucker has got to be on the best IPA's I have up to now (prior to this was Blind Pig). The cool floral hops come up front, but are in balance with chewy malts. If this beer was a bit higher in ABV. I would easily place it as a DIPA, thats how good and how close it comes.

The mouthfeel was full and chewy. The malt backbone really makes the taster savor every last drop, letting it roll around the tongue accompanied by superb carbonation.

This is a very good beer, amongst other great beers. Perhaps one the best IPA's I've come across. Drinkability factor is great, if one takes the time to fully appreciate its subtleties. Home run for AleSmith. Next on my list is Decadence.

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a flute glass.

* Possibly a bad bottle.

Appearance - Pours with a super-creamy off-white head that retains quite well. It eventually boils down to a half-finger cap of velvety head. It leaves good lacing as you drink it. It is honey-amber in color with a slight haze, probably due mostly to the bottle conditioning.

Smell - Earthy and juicy hops up front. Strong aromas of citrus and tropical fruits. Also very faint traces of the classic dark, ripe fruits: fig, plum, etc. Rich buscuit-like malt character can be picked up behind all of this. Slight alcohol warmnth on the nose.

Taste - Very earthy and almost stale taste up front, not exactly pleasant either. Perhaps this bottle is a bit tainted or something, but it tastes how it tastes and I have to judge from that. Moving on, it also has some nutty flavors with the same hop character in the aroma: citrus and tropical fruits with slight dark fruit notes. A very rich and pudding-like, bready malt ties it all together. Moderate alcohol throughout.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Has a semi-smooth and somewhat dry mouthfeel that becomes completely dry after the swallow.

Drinkability - The flavors are strong as would be expected for a DIPA, but they aren't actually too bad. Much more tamed than most of the DIPAs I've had recently.

Overall a good IPA barring the slightly unpleasant stale/peanut-buttery flavor. I'm just going to assume that it isn't supposed to have that. The hops flavors were quite good and it was overall quite refreshing with a good mouthfeel. Wort a try with that stale flavor, recommended without.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

A - Dark orange color. Thick, rocky, pillowy white head lasts and lasts. Sticky lacing everywhere. One of the prettiest heads I've ever seen. In fact, the haze is the only thng keeping this from being a perfect 5 looker.

S - Incredible hop bouquet. Grapefruit, tangerine, pine, grass, mint, and everything else hop wonderful. Some caramel sweetness and toasted grain aromas are in there, but this is pure hop poetry.

T - All flavors coalece much more effectively on the palate. Tropical fruit and caramel on the front end, with some biscuit and bread towards the middle. The citrus, pine and grass come on the back end, with a solid bitter bite. Finish is on the dry side.

M - Medium body. Soft, medium carbonation. Nice and bright.

D - This is a beer that never lasts long enough. I could drink it every day.

In my opinion, this is the king of California single IPAs. I have yet to try the famous Masala Mama, but for right now, this one is unmatched.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company