AleSmith IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,302 | Ratings: 4,030
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at the Fridge

Poured into a British Imp. Nonic at my request. Thanks Futty.

Pours a very attractive, frothy, creamy ½” off white head which lasts. Very good to excellent lacing coats the side of the glass.
The color is medium dark amber with a bit of cloudiness. Beautiful. Classic looks.

The aroma hits you with very distinct, resiny, bitter, somewhat piney hops with smells of citrus and lemon. Very refined and elegant. Balanced and long lasting.
Followed by medium rich, biscuity malt which becomes more distinct as this ale warms. As the malt comes forward you notice really nice Ale yeast. That being said, the hops dominate the nose completely. Very enjoyable and wonderfully hop forward nose.

Crisp, distinct and bitter entry on the palate of very distinct pine/resin/citrus hops with nuances of lemon and spice, delicious and exceptionally enjoyable, followed by medium distinct, rich, malt with a refined, yeasty, toasted biscuit character.
The malt tries to come forward as this ale warms, but ultimately loses to the distinct hops
A very hop dominated flavor profile.
The medium crisp acidity and full, creamy, balanced body, along with fine, balanced carbonation and a medium to off dry sweetness really add to the enjoyment of this ale.

Very long finish of delicious bitter hops, with some malt coming and going. The hops totally dominate in the end with the hop oils lingering forever.

What wonderfully balanced and drinkable ale! Flat out delicious. The acidity, malt, and delicious hops all combine to make this a very pleasurable experience.
Highly recommended!

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not a bad IPA, definitely worth the whopping $6.99 price tag.
Pour - dark gold with a nice head
Smell - Big mix of fruits and hops
Taste - Nothing super spectacular here. Citrusy with an ending of hops, great for the cost
Overall - Easily drinkable, thicker than other IPAs I've had, but not bad

3.67/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a clear, light amber with a full white head.

The aroma is of sweet, pink grapefruit.

More grapefruit in the taste, supported by a clean grainy malt. Hop bitterness appears in the middle and lasts throughout. Aftertaste of tea leaves.

The beer is light, moderately carbonated, and has a dry finish.

I'm on the fence about this beer. There is a sweet grapefruit character in the beer that I really enjoy, but it needs more of a malt backbone. This is the first time I've had this beer. First impression is mediocre, but it's growing on me as I near the end of the 22oz. Could be the 7.25%ABV.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Opening the bottle did not prepare me for the mountain of foam that billowed out when I poured this into my glass. Fat bubbles eventually formed in an everlasting (everforming?) head. Crazy carbonation rising through a golden-orange nearly clear liquid.

The first thing that attacked the nose was pine needle extract. Smelled very fresh, like I could hang it in my aging truck. Hmm.

Delicious. Not as hoppy as anticipated. Pleasantly bitter up front, and mellowing into what I can only describe as ... peanut butter. Yeah I've never tasted this before in a beer, and maybe my limited palate can't figure it out, but that's what it reminds me of. And I have to say, it's pretty amazing. Not amazingly complex.

Great carbonation, actually on the light side for an IPA. One of the most refreshing I've had, and just awesome drinkability. Dangerous.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

A delicious dry piney, skunky IPA. Great lacing, pine and resin. Medium bodied. Hops are aggressive and make your mouth water in anticipation of more. Light alcohol sweetness warms the throat. An overlooked IPA out here. Let the reviews tell you. This is a great one.

Pours clear amber with thick (really thick) frothy head that is amazingly long lived. It looked like there was almost a fresh dollup of foam as I finished my slowly sipped glasss - exceptional.

Very fragrant floral aroma with a hint of rose and citrus. Nice. Not overblown. Not trying to outdo the brewery down the road - exceptional.

Perfectly balanced moderately bitter, very floral hops with a solid but not sweet malt base. Tastes and feels lighter than the 7% ABV. I truly think this is the best IPA I have had - exceptional.

Mouthfeel is basically perfect. Smooth, not syruppy, nicely carbonated but not fizzy. Exceptional

Please let me know if you find a more drinkable, better tasting IPA. I don't mean DIPA, but IPA. I think this is exactly what they should be. Nicely hopped, high alcohol content, and well balanced. Exceptional.

Why did I only buy one bottle?!? This beer almost makes me think I should knock a 1/2 point off some of the others I have reviewed. Awesome.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Pours a copper orange with thick slightly off white head that leaves plenty of lacing along the side of the glass.

S: More citrus hops seem to be in the forefront with piney hops in the background. Grapefruit and earthy tones are also detected.

T: The piney hops rush up in the taste of this beer and create a very calm bitterness. The fruity flavors give this beer some sweetness, while the hops make it more powerful throughout. It's an odd teetering between an AIPA and IIPA. Very interesting and deep taste that makes me think about one of those styles with every sip.

F: Medium body, with not a large amount of carbonation.

D: A fine drink from AleSmith. The dynamic taste made this drink disappear faster and faster from my glass. A very good IPA overall and would definitely have again.

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a hazy beautiful light amber with a massive head that lsts for a long time.

Smells of loads of tropical fruits, grape fruit, pineapple and passion fruit, some other exotic fruits that I seem to recognize but cant really place. There is a very light hint of piny resin as well, backing up the fruits.

Taste is... well, tired. Obviously there has been something great here, once, but as I live on the other side of the globe from San Diego.... :(

Well, what is there is some fruity and piny hops, but the bitterness is no where near balanced with hop flavours. Flavours are receeded too far and well, it just doesnt taste as good as I had hoped.

The mouthfeel here is probably the best thing with this beer, really luxurious and fresh, would really love to try this hyped beer fresh :(

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Very carbonated huge head. Tons of lacing. Kind of a light orange-ish color
S: Hops hops hops and tons of citrus; orange, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple.
T: Hops, orange, grapefruit. Smooth and refreshing. Not your typical west coast ipa and I love it. Nice play on the hops, bitterness and a malty forefront.
M/D: Oddly very creamy with a nice sweet and bitter taste. Very good beer and under the radar, not noticed as much as it should be. Could drink 2-3 bombers easily.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

22oz growler from bgthang.
Poured into a pint glass.

Poured a light amber / dark golden color. 1 finger head that dissipated quickly.
Aroma: floral hops , some citrus.
Taste: well balanced, not much hop bite .
Mouthfeel: good
Drinkability: very good.
A very nice IPA. not my favorite but on my short list. I would buy more of this if readily available.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

A big shout out to my Whole Foods in Valencia for stocking AleSmith. Highly appreciate it.

Poured into a tulip glass showed of its clear yellow hay hue, with lots of head retention, followed with some sticky lacing. Almost as sticky as Arrogant Bastard.

This is a very hop-forward beer, for a lack of better words. Smell is drenched with grapefruits, fantastic pine resin, citrus orange, and a big explosion on floral hops. I think I died and went into a hop coma from this intense aroma. Incredible to say the least.

Taste was a big burst of hoppiness that knocked me on my ass! This sucker has got to be on the best IPA's I have up to now (prior to this was Blind Pig). The cool floral hops come up front, but are in balance with chewy malts. If this beer was a bit higher in ABV. I would easily place it as a DIPA, thats how good and how close it comes.

The mouthfeel was full and chewy. The malt backbone really makes the taster savor every last drop, letting it roll around the tongue accompanied by superb carbonation.

This is a very good beer, amongst other great beers. Perhaps one the best IPA's I've come across. Drinkability factor is great, if one takes the time to fully appreciate its subtleties. Home run for AleSmith. Next on my list is Decadence.

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a flute glass.

* Possibly a bad bottle.

Appearance - Pours with a super-creamy off-white head that retains quite well. It eventually boils down to a half-finger cap of velvety head. It leaves good lacing as you drink it. It is honey-amber in color with a slight haze, probably due mostly to the bottle conditioning.

Smell - Earthy and juicy hops up front. Strong aromas of citrus and tropical fruits. Also very faint traces of the classic dark, ripe fruits: fig, plum, etc. Rich buscuit-like malt character can be picked up behind all of this. Slight alcohol warmnth on the nose.

Taste - Very earthy and almost stale taste up front, not exactly pleasant either. Perhaps this bottle is a bit tainted or something, but it tastes how it tastes and I have to judge from that. Moving on, it also has some nutty flavors with the same hop character in the aroma: citrus and tropical fruits with slight dark fruit notes. A very rich and pudding-like, bready malt ties it all together. Moderate alcohol throughout.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Has a semi-smooth and somewhat dry mouthfeel that becomes completely dry after the swallow.

Drinkability - The flavors are strong as would be expected for a DIPA, but they aren't actually too bad. Much more tamed than most of the DIPAs I've had recently.

Overall a good IPA barring the slightly unpleasant stale/peanut-buttery flavor. I'm just going to assume that it isn't supposed to have that. The hops flavors were quite good and it was overall quite refreshing with a good mouthfeel. Wort a try with that stale flavor, recommended without.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

A - Dark orange color. Thick, rocky, pillowy white head lasts and lasts. Sticky lacing everywhere. One of the prettiest heads I've ever seen. In fact, the haze is the only thng keeping this from being a perfect 5 looker.

S - Incredible hop bouquet. Grapefruit, tangerine, pine, grass, mint, and everything else hop wonderful. Some caramel sweetness and toasted grain aromas are in there, but this is pure hop poetry.

T - All flavors coalece much more effectively on the palate. Tropical fruit and caramel on the front end, with some biscuit and bread towards the middle. The citrus, pine and grass come on the back end, with a solid bitter bite. Finish is on the dry side.

M - Medium body. Soft, medium carbonation. Nice and bright.

D - This is a beer that never lasts long enough. I could drink it every day.

In my opinion, this is the king of California single IPAs. I have yet to try the famous Masala Mama, but for right now, this one is unmatched.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

22 oz bottle, lots of yeast left in the bottle. Pours a orange, light amber. Lots of head, 2 cm at a time, white to slightly off white, long lasting. Aroma is sweet and strong with citrus, hint of pine. Initial taste is mostly overwhelmed by the sweetness, turning citrusy, then very dry from all the hops. There might be other components in there, but honestly when you dump that much hop-action in there, forget it. Aftertaste is very hoppy and long lasting. Light to medium body, very light carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden and drinkable. For the price I'd prefer something else, but maybe worth another drink down the line.

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into pint glass. Golden yellow with one finger head. Nice hoppy aroma to the nose with fruits. Mild fruit on front and balanced hops on back. Medium bodied and easy on the palate.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance: Pours a very clear gold into a pint glass (my Onion “I enjoy drinking beer” one). A fine white one-finger head lingers, and as it slowly withdraws it leaves fabulous sheets of lacing.

Smell: One whiff tells you what you’re in for: a classic American IPA. Grapefruit and pine combine nicely, and I’m advised by my better half that there’s something else in there – kelp? I smiled and nodded to preserve domestic tranquility, but I confess that I didn’t get the kelp.

Taste: Classic, and the nose projects exactly what follows in the mouth. Grapefruit (along with some other citrus) and piney hopes are the story. There’s a bready malt backbone hiding behind all the hops, and although it does not dominate the flavors – far from it – it provides excellent balance. An extraordinarily well-balanced IPA, which is a refreshing change in pace from the h(op)-bombs that have resulted from the hops arms race.

Mouthfeel: Very light in the mouth, which was somewhat unexpected. It finishes smooth and clean.

Drinkability: High. This is a very sessionable beer.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Combine, price, complexity, availability..for me in CA... drinkability, goes with lots of food, subtle, and so aromatically complex this is a near perfect brew. One of the 1st craft beers to start my path down the real beers being brewed journey. Forgot about this beer and dismissed it for a year or 2, just rediscovered it again recently and have always kept at least 1 in the fridge ready at all times. Stunning!

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into the bottle a hazy dark orange (with visible yeast)--even almost brown. Pretty dark and cloudy for an IPA. Head was thin and very short lived. Aroma was very nice: spicy and hoppy. The taste was very good, with a more complex malt profile than is normal for IPAs, I think. Many IPAs seem a bit one-dimensional to me. This one was very balanced. Certainly, fans of strong hops will be happy with it, but that's not all there is to this brew. Perhaps it was the salty food I was eating with it, but this beer seemed rather sweet--more so than any IPA I have tried previously. By no means is that a complaint, however. This was a very good beer. I paired it with a variety of rich, salty, fried appetizers and it was definitely up to the task--cutting through the other flavors and holding its own.

3.72/5  rDev -12.9%

02.06.10 at City Beer

A: clear yellow, with a fluffy head

S: exactly the a good IPA should smell, all pine-y and musky with fresh, bright citrus

T: even though it tastes the way it smells, there might be something missing, like that hoppy kick I love; or something slightly off, like the level of sweetness

M: nothing spectacular to call out, just medium-bodied, with the right amount of carbonation

D: it's pretty good, but definitely not the first IPA I'd reach for, though it's a solid choice when there's nothing else

The Alesmith IPA pours a pretty coppery amber color with a frothy white head that stuck around. Nose is full of apricot, some pine and an earthy essence. Don't get much citrus here. Malts come through on the mid palate, and then the beer finishes with lingering dryness. Very long finish on this one. Not as aggressive as some of its San Diego IPA cousins, this medium to lighter bodied beer (given its size) lacks that big citrus hop explosion I have come to anticipate from West Coast IPAs. Good, but there are others I prefer.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Damn Gina, i think this is my favorite IPA. I drink it regularly but just recently having it again and though i'd review it.

A tangerine honey color slightly, slightly turbid, fills my glass with a good finger of ivory colored foamy lacing. The aromas are quite crisp and very aromatic with a wall of orange blossoms and fragrant citrus... as if someone just peeled a pink grapefruit and sprinkled it all around.
The flavors hit the classic IPA on the money... actually i should say, this IPA sets the standard. True mountain pine and ripe citrus peels mingle like they're at happy hour. A true melding of delicious flavor with light toast bread mixed in. As you quaff this treat, you know you are drinking an IPA and one that isnt subtle nor pretends to be anything else. Actually, the taste screams West Coast IPA.
Very nicely carbonated and rather clean and oh so easy to drink. My fridge will always have several bottles of this!!! Yours should too!

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours clear copper with a thick, frothy, stable head. Aroma is light fruit, citrus, pine, and earthy notes. Flavor brings a bit of a sticky, resiny hop flavor. The hops are slightly overdone, which compromises smoothness, leaving a bit of an astringent aftertaste. Though a tasty beer, this aspect does detract from drinkability.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

I've been popped in the mouth with a bunch of hops, and I like it!

A piney, resin, and slightly floral hops dominated my nose as soon as I opened the bottle. Poured a golden amber color with a sturdy, off-white head with plenty of sheeting action on the glass. Hardly any detectable malt, but a whole bunch of piney and slightly floral hop goodness. Almost mouth puckering, but the hops blend had a certain smoothness which was required to make the bitterness level, which was off the scale, palatable. Nice creamy mouthfeel to the brew. Something this bitter can't really rate high in the drinkability catagory, and the last couple warm mouthfull were a little difficult to choke down.

Would you believe I found this bottle in a 7-11 in Carlsbad right off of Interstate-5? I couldn't believe it either when I saw the bottle sitting in the fridge.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

My girlfriend brought this along with some other west coast goodies home for me when visiting friends in San Diego. And thanks to the fellow B.A that helped her pick this out at the shop.

Poured a a cloudy dark goldish color with a great white foamy head with killer lacing to go along with it.

Smells of resiny piney goodness mixed with lots of citrus hops.

Citrus hops right up front. again a little piney on the tongue. Very pleasant. Well balanced with the malts.

Very drinkable. I wish we had it here in Maine.

Bomber into Tulip

A- caramel color with 1/2 inch head. clings to the glass and leaves an oily lacing going down the sides.

S- Floral citrus explodes in the nose. Very fresh and inviting.

T- Level hops flavor inspite of the nose. Strong hoppy taste, but an even malt base holds it all together.

M- Medium to heavy.

D- Very nice. Got this beer on my last trip to SD and wish that I could have it more often. The beer has a good rep and it is easy to see why.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company