AleSmith IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,330 | Ratings: 4,162
4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Breaking away here from the standard review format, just b/c I loved this beer and experience.

I got his from Boolshot who took me on as my first trade. Getting a beer in the mail is awesome, especially if it is a beer you have been dying to try. Upon cracking this beer open, the aroma of awesomely strong fruity and piney hops blasts you in the face. I began to pour this into a tulip glass and the head practically over took the glass immediately, as someone else stated, a pint glass might have been a better option. But once I got the pour down it wasn't a real issue.

The taste is awesome, all those hops from the aroma showing up perfectly. The malt backbone helps to bring some balance but you never forget this is an awesomely hoppy IPA. I really wish I had a case of this, the drinkability is superb.

I would have to say at this moment in time, AleSmith is my favorite IPA.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Delicious. Pours a clea ramber, with a 1 1/2 finger off white head that had solid retention. slight bit of lacing. Smells of tropical fruits and citrus, bigtime notes of both of those. Reminds me of nelson.

Taste also reminds me of nelson a bit, but I think I liked nelson a bit more. Big notes of tropical fruit, citrus, grapefruit, pine, and floral notes. Tiny bready malt base is barely noticeable. Very good. One of my favorite ipas. Extremely drinkable. Prickly carbonation, with a nice medium body.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

My first AleSmith offering. 22oz bottle poured into a pint glass on 8/26/12.

Appearance: Translucent light amber with a generous two finger head. Head retained well and provided some sticky lacing.

Smell: Orange peel, grass, and a light pine hop aroma. Smells like a nice balance of hops.

Taste: Light citrus hops pair with a pale malt backbone. Finishes with more pine and resin character, with just a tad of stickiness. Very accessible and not too much of one thing in this brew.

Mouthfeel: Shines on this beer with a light body, smoothness, and perfect crispness.

Overall: Really great IPA that is super drinkable and one of the most balanced IPAs I've had in a while.

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into pint glass

2-2 1/2 finger head that lingers for a while. Nice copper color.

To the nose I get a piney orange and some earthy notes. Towards the end I get an oily resin type smell too. Very nice smelling and not overly citrusy.

WOW! Taste wise this hits it. Citrus and spice hit it along with the earthy back to start. Then the pine takes over and leaves this feeling amazing.

Feel: Pretty firm throughout. The taste lingers for a while but I could let it last for hours. So smooth and refreshing without an overwhelming citrus flavor. Mild carbonation and pretty consistent throughout the taste.

Overall: I was skeptical at first. I've had this on draft once and had this bomber for almost a week now before this rating. The smell and appearance are very misleading. This may sneak into my top 5 IPAs behind Pliny and Heady. Its not a citrus forward as some I like. The hop profile definitely accentuates its maltiness fantastically. If you get a chance pick this UP!

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Hazy light copper with a just barely off white head. Top is a bit foamy and drops to a bit more than a top covering - looks like its going no where. Perfect lacing, head holds up.

Smell: Great medly of pine and citrus. A faint backing of grain and biscuit. Very enticing.

Taste: Pine upfront with a bit of a citrus twang rounding it out and holding on the tongue. In west coast fashion the hops are slick and oily and there is a distinct lack of caramel malts. A bit of grain in the background, but this is about the hops.

Mouthfeel: Almost a 5...

Drinkability: Ranks up there with some of my favorite IPA's, and maybe my favorite west coast example. I picture drinking this way too often if it was around my part of the country.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

My sampling of Alesmith IPA was served from a simply decorated 22oz brown bomber, with some words voicing its wonders printed on the side. . At the pour, biscuit malt is immediately apparent in the nose along with juicy hop aromas of orange and orchard fruit, like the fresh peach whose juices run down your chin at the first ripe bite. Color is a bright golden, with just the right amount of fluffy white head, plenty of yeast sitting down for a good rest at the bottom of the bottle too.
At first taste, a big bitter hop bite assails your tongue and throat right away before downshifting into a smooth and sweet malty middleground. Biscuity dry malt flavor is very pronounced and balances perfectly with the nice citrusy hops. There is a very slight alcohol warmth noticeable in the finish, along with a tantalizing lingering bitterness to lead you into the next sip. Medium body and quite smooth, not overly sweet, and quite dangerously drinkable. I did not suspect that this was a 7.5% brew. Nice lacing clung artfully to the glass until the last drop. More than delicious and heartily hoppy, another excellent Alesmith offering.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Golden beer, white head.

Very pretty scent of citrus and flowers. Almost honey-ish and pine too. Sweet and tangy.

Taste is tangy too. Piney and dry with juicy citrus moments too. The pine, dryness, and juiciness are all blended well together. It's tangy and rich and delicious. An excellent ipa. A standout for sure. The hops are somewhat muted but they pack incredibly rich and full flavor.

Absolutely great.

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

A: thin off-white foam head, a translucent golden bronze.

S: hops! very fresh, can almost taste the bitterness.

T: not as hoppy as the smell would suggest, but a blast of lemon first hits the taste buds along with grapefruit and other citrusy goodness.

MF/D: very fine bubbles that do not underscore the taste.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearence is a cloudy burnt orange color. A nice chunky white head that settled on the pour and left nice lacing around the rim.

The nose is sweet citrus hops and some decent malt backbone.

The taste has very up front citrus hoppiness with a nice transition into some caramel malt. The finish has some a nice hop bitterness .

The mouthfeel is a bit slick, probably from the hop oils. Its got medium carbonation and smooth feel on the tongue.

Overall this is quite tasty. Alesmith does well in everything they brew and this is truly a west coast treat of an ipa.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Pours a golden-orange color with a very generous white, frothy head. I don't think I've ever seen such ridiculous lacing from an IPA before. The amount of lacing rivaled some of the most good-looking belgians I've had.

S- The nose is refreshing and juicy. Crisp, sweet grapefruit and notes of pine come through. The likneness to a sweet, fresh, ripe grapefruit is astounding. Enough malt comes through to balance, without dominating.

T- An excellent example of a San Diego style IPA. Very light on bittering hops, but tons of floral, fruity, and piney aroma hops. The flavors that come through (with minimal bitterness) are grapefruit, pine, and notes of lemon. The malt is there, providing a caramel-like sweetness, but mainly for support, rather than flavor.

M- Very rich for an IPA. Extremely fine carbonation, as to be expected from the incredibly fluffy head. Very full-bodied with a very nice lingering finish.

D- With almost no bitterness and well-hidden alcohol, this 7.25% IPA is about as drinkable as it gets.

4.51/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've heard a lot of good things about Alesmith. As a recent Maryland transplant in California, I was very much eager to try any beer from this brewery. The beer poured a yellowish-amber hybrid with a good head--even if it dissipated relatively quickly. The aroma was a lot maltier than I expected with a distinct resinous hop note. The taste is sublime. The strong hopiness hits the palate first, but it is married with the malt to the point that it becomes one indistinguishable flavor--a very, very good thing. The balance of this IPA is impressive and has become a serious challenger to DFH 90 min for favorite IPA. I feel like I need to run out and get a 4-pack of DFH to compare immediately.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

From the classy looking bottle in celebration of buying a house. Pours a nice gold with a pleasing puffy head. Super crisp piney aroma.

Started a little disappointing, I must admit. But as I drank, and as it warmed, it became apparant that this is an exceptional IPA. Very smooth, with a hearty and solid mouthfeel, this is a piney affair from nose to mouth. Left a ragged lace with some floaties. "it's piney, but mellow" as my wife put it. As it goes down, I wonder, is this the perfect IPA?

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

*Review sample was bottled 11/30/15*

A- Dark orange body out of the light. But in the light, the body color is a nice honey, yellow color. It is on the hazy side, but I do not notice any sediment in the beer. The head is 2 finger, frothy, and bright-white in color. Head died to a nice 1 finger in size. It is leaving some very nice lacing. Great looking west coast style IPA> But as of lately, I'm really fond of the New England "hazy" IPA/Pale Ale look.

S- Lots of pineapple and sweet bready malts. I also get the typical grapefruits in there as well. I detect some caramel notes as well. Light notes of pine and leather. Pretty standard west coast IPA, but good.

T- This is how a good west coast IPA should taste. It's fairly balanced between the hop notes and the malty taste. I notice that compared to New England style IPAs that this has a darker, caramel malt, kind of taste. Upfront I get the pineapple and grapefruit notes. Light pine notes and some oily, resinous notes. Slightly dank towards the end, but I'd say Alesmith IPA finishes fairly clean. It's not overly dry.

F- The body is medium in feel. It's crisp, clean, and pretty refreshing. This doesn't quite drink like citrus juice in the way some New England style IPAs do, but I'd say the drinkability is quite high on this.

Overall this is a great tasting west coast IPA. It's not too bitter at all. And it's not super, super dank. I can't stand an IPA or Imperial IPA that is way too hoppy and dank. It's almost undrinkable to me. This is really well balanced between the malts and hops. I tend to like the IPA's that are on the citrus juice side of the mouthfeel, but this a great IPA I would never hesitate to drink when I'm in the mood for this style.

The Alesmith IPA pours a pretty coppery amber color with a frothy white head that stuck around. Nose is full of apricot, some pine and an earthy essence. Don't get much citrus here. Malts come through on the mid palate, and then the beer finishes with lingering dryness. Very long finish on this one. Not as aggressive as some of its San Diego IPA cousins, this medium to lighter bodied beer (given its size) lacks that big citrus hop explosion I have come to anticipate from West Coast IPAs. Good, but there are others I prefer.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Memorable Qualities: This is an exceptionally well crated IPA that satisfies my hop cravings in the nose and on the tongue, while not blasting my face off. Definitely in the west coast style, I think this stands with Blind Pig at the top of the style.

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear copper with two fingers of cream-colored head that fades into a nice cap with good lacing.

S: Oranges and grapefruit followed by dry, resinous pine aromas.

T: follows the nose. The finish is moderately bitter.

M: Medium body with mid-high carbonation

O: An IPA, overall. I'd like maybe a little less bitterness but that's my preference

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly hazed golden yellow with lots of tiny carbonation rising gloriously from the bottom of the glass. Two finer pillowy honey-tinged off-white head with beautiful stiff, sticky sheeting lacing.

S - Hoppy hoppy hoppy! Cannabis and green herbs followed by zesty orange and grapefruit with a tinge of pine.

T - Exceptional. Wonderful full flavor with juicy citrus, resinous pine, and wildflowers with a subtle malt backbone which provides just enough of a foundation for the hops to run wild. There is an herbal, gin-like quality in the background... I can nearly taste juniper. Bordering on DIPA territory... and I like it.

M - Creamy and silky smooth medium to medium-full body. Carbonation settles down to a nice moderate level providing just enough lift. Dry, bitter finish lingers nicely.

D - AlesSmith crafts another great one. Very pleasing to drink. An excellent, high-quality west coast IPA for those who love the style.

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

Had this out of a bottle.

This poured a murky orange teak, no head.
It smelled of sweet, juicy, fresh squeezed grapefruit- a fantastic nose, I kept smelling it!

It tasted not as bitter as I would have expected it to with all of that grapefruit, but it had more of a light, sweet grapefruit aftertaste.

It had mild carbonation.

This one lacked a little for me because the nose was so fantastic but the taste did not follow suit. This was my least favorite of the evening.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A 22 ounce bomber poured into a Nonic Imperial Pint glass. The bottle was dated 12/05/13. I love silk-screened labels.

Appearance - A hazy copper color. Big, lumpy head that stays around for a while. Very good stickage on the side of the glass. A fine looking IPA.

Smell - Big hop hit. Grapefruit. Slightly sour. There is a whiff of malt sweetness in the distant background.

Taste - Bitter. Hoppy. Grapefruit. Peppercorns.

Mouth - Fizzy. Bitter.

Overall - This is a good, but not great, IPA. The beer lacks a solid malt foundation to build upon. As a result, the beer has a bitter yet thin feel to it. It lacks the overall balance of a Sierra Nevada or Firestone IPA. I am, however, giving this beer the benefit of the doubt because it hails from San Diego. Also, the bomber bottle is very cool.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass.

The pour is a hazy gold with two fingers of white head. There is nice retention and good lacing.

The nose is mostly citrus (orange) with some piney and floral notes. There is also a hint as to the alcoholic content. The taste is more of the same; the pine really stands out. At the finish, as the bitterness subsides, a bready flavour takes over.

Mouthfeel is creamy with a nice amount of carbonation. Drinkability is high; now I wish I had bought more than one bottle (at least Kentucky isn't _that_ far).

This is just an overall good beer. I only wish I could buy it closer to home.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Zatec fluted glass. Got less than a finger of white foamy head. Bubbles persist, and there's excellent lacing. Color is orange/amber. Smells - pine up front, some citrus, a bit of Mr. Clean (but in a good way.) Some sweet caramely malt as well, but not overpowering. Very clean. Flavors are very piney and lemony. Again, reminiscent of Mr. Clean (though I've never had a sip of it.) Delicious clean finish, not much lingering bitterness. At 7.5 it's pretty bold for a single IPA, but only a gentle warmth lingers. Two 22ozs in one night would not be out of the question.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

22oz bottle with no bottled on or freshness date, poured into Hair of the Dog tulip, reviewed on 9/9/11.

A: Pours a crystal clear golden color with fluffy whitish head that leaves some nice lacing around glass.

S: Sweet hops both citrus and other fruit with a hint of pine, some pale malt lingering beneath the hops.

T: Some hop bitterness from start to finish with a nice dose of fruity hops. Some sweet malt comes through towards the finish. Each sip leaves a nice lingering taste of hops.

M: Really crisp light-medium body with moderate-high carbonation and a pretty dry finish.

O: Solid IPA, not world class in my opinion but good and drinkable none the less.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Opening the bottle did not prepare me for the mountain of foam that billowed out when I poured this into my glass. Fat bubbles eventually formed in an everlasting (everforming?) head. Crazy carbonation rising through a golden-orange nearly clear liquid.

The first thing that attacked the nose was pine needle extract. Smelled very fresh, like I could hang it in my aging truck. Hmm.

Delicious. Not as hoppy as anticipated. Pleasantly bitter up front, and mellowing into what I can only describe as ... peanut butter. Yeah I've never tasted this before in a beer, and maybe my limited palate can't figure it out, but that's what it reminds me of. And I have to say, it's pretty amazing. Not amazingly complex.

Great carbonation, actually on the light side for an IPA. One of the most refreshing I've had, and just awesome drinkability. Dangerous.

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a hazy straw gold, a slight amber hue, with a quick head that leaves a ton of lacing. Aromas are of pale malt and earthy hops, not so inviting. Taste is a rush of hop bitterness, very grassy and earthy, fruit notes, dried apricot and pineapple. It has a nice mouth weight and an excellent drying finish. Overall pretty tasty, not your typical citrus bomb WCIPA.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

A Nice murky golden with a nice finger head. Some lacing.

S Pine, Citrus, malt and hops. Not as aromatic as I was expecting, but still a nice smelling beer.

T I'm getting a lot of orange, some grapefruit, sweet malt and of course the bitter hops. Bitterness is well balanced.

M Clean beer. Medium body. Nicely carbonated. Very crisp.

O What a great IPA! Very well balanced. Highly recommended.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company