Double Red India Pale Ale | AleSmith Brewing Company

Double Red India Pale AleDouble Red India Pale Ale

AleSmith Brewing Company
alesmith.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Also known as YuleSmith (Winter)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2009

Liked:
4.09/5
Alströms:

1.73/5  rDev -57.7%

Poured In: Snifter
Attained through a trade (Thanks Nick!)

Appearance: Another non careful pour is invoked to stir up a few fingers of head. The beer pours a dark copper and amber color with two fingers of head. A few swirls in the snifter doesn't produce very much lace. Just a streak or two that trickles its way back into the beer. When held up to the light there is very little effervescence making me think that I'll enjoy the mouthfeel quite a bit. The beer really is a beautiful color.

Smell: The nose isn't as pleasant as I was hoping. Some alcohol is shining through on top of some sweet dark candy malt. The malt smells like caramel and toffee, all with a slightly toasted aroma to it. There is a little bit of hop aroma coming through, I think it's a mixture of citrus and pine, but the hop aroma isn't complimenting the sweet malts and alcohol at all. In fact, it's rather unpleasant.

Taste: The flavor isn't that much better than the nose. The palate first picks up sweet candy like malt including caramel and toffee. The malt flavor disappears and is followed up by some warming alcohol, diacetyl buttery flavoring, and then a little bit of herbal hops. I see a lot of people mentioning how hoppy this is in their review. They must have gotten the Summer version. The Winter version is not a hop bomb by any means. It doesn't have to be a hop bomb to be enjoyable, although it is what I was expecting going in. The palate just isn't pleasant on this at all. The malts that were used on this just didn't agree with me. I think dark malts and hops can play nicely together. I absolutely loved Southern Tier's Iniquity Ale. But, sadly, this was a drain pour.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice. It's a medium to full bodied beer with a nice level of carbonation right off the bat. There is a nice coating of oils on my teeth after each sip.

Drinkability: I wish I had liked this one more. It's really not agreeing with my palate nor my stomach. Perhaps I'd like the Summer version better. The diacetyl and alcohol that shines through just ruined this one for me.

2.38/5  rDev -41.8%

Pours a deep garnet with great translucence and and one -finger head that laced decently and retained not that well. Very fine bubbling.

Smells tropical, with mango and jackfruit coming out pleasantly with lots of caramel malt.

Taste, however, is totally unbalanced, with WAY too much sugary malt for the fruit. Perhaps my bottle is too old, or I'm not having this fresh, or whatever, but this is sickly sweet. The little bitterness that exists is dominated by the sticky malt and is killed off quickly. I've had fresh mangos in India, and for such a stereotypically sweet fruit, the best ones have a bit of tartness to go with it. This beer bring the sweetness but, sadly, doesn't bring the tart counter to balance it out. Pineapple is also evident, but I wish it was way more sour than it turns out to be.

Mouthfeel is fine, as it isn't too thin and is full-bodied enough to bring out all the flavors involved. Carbonation is well done too, not too strong and not too weak. Drinkability is directly linked to taste in a lot of cases, and here it suffers due to the lack of balance. The abv of 8.5% is masked well, but there is no denying the fact this beer is tough to down sip after sip.

2.63/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with about a finger of off-white head. Moderate amounts of sticky lace.

S: Very sweet malt and some citrus and pine hop aroma. A little holiday spiciness.

T: Dominated by cloying sweetness and strong spiciness: cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. Strong sweet caramel, some butteriness, and decently strong alcohol. Not very enjoyable, I wonder if this bottle is starting to go bad.

M: Fairly full bodied, sticky, and cloying with some alcohol heat.

D: Sadly, this was not enjoyable at all. It was way to0 sweet and the alcohol flavor was too strong. The spicy butter flavors in the taste make me wonder if this bottle has started going bad. As it stands now, however, I did not like this beer at all.

22 ounce bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, clear, golden amber color, speckled with red highlights and an eighth of a finger of off-white head that quickly dissolved into a lacing of foam that almost completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very hoppy. In fact, the only aroma I’m getting is an intensely floral note of hops. I hope the flavor isn’t as hoppy.

Taste: Unfortunately the beer tastes very hoppy as well. Lots of hops up front, imparting quite a bit of, in my opinion, unpleasant bitterness. I get some faint notes of toasted malt, brown sugar-like sweetness, and some black pepper, but mainly I get hops and hoppy bitterness. Not my kind of beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with quite a bit of carbonation. With an ABV of 8.5%, there’s just a touch of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: I’m not a fan of this beer, really, as it is way too hoppy for me. The hoppy bitterness totally overpowers all of the other flavors of the beer. Sorry AleSmith, this beer is not for me. Hop heads should love it though!

3.06/5  rDev -25.2%

A- poured into a glass looking a light like fresh apple cider, bubbly head with not a lot of retention, an appropriate amount of yeast clouds the glass.

S- some pine comes through in the smell, but other than that seemed pretty non-descript.

T- followed with the pine, but also had a fresh cidery note to it.

M- heavy residual carbonation and a distinct lingering aftertaste.

D- I was hoping for more from this as I really enjoy the summer version. I'll probably pass on this one in the future.

3.12/5  rDev -23.7%

Good Christmas, cold weather beer not recommended for summers by the pool

3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

I drank this from a 22 oz bottle (winter version) into a rochefort chalice.

The beer pours medium brown with a very light tan head that has no head, retention or lacing.

The aroma is very hoppy with a muted maltiness.

The taste is very interesting, but not sure if that's a good thing. There is lots of hoppiness here but there is something else to, that just brings a weirdness to the beer.

3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

Winter version. Draught at the Red. Dark amber-red with not much of a head. Aroma of pure butterscotch and a bit of caramel. The flavor is very butterscotch dominated with a some green, oily hops and modest bitterness. Pretty sweet and malty. This just tastes weird, like a couple shots of butterscotch liqueur got dumped in my imperial red. The hops struglge over the sweet, candied body. Quite a let down. I've got a bottle that I'm going to save for new years; hoping that its different than this odd tasting keg.
(2.9) Rerate: 22oz bottle. Better beige head over a rich dark red body. the butterscotch is gone, but this is still too sweet and alcoholic; the hops are there, but they just get clobbered by all the sugar and alcohol. I'll bump it up a bit, but I still feel that this is way overrated.

3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

Had this last summer, but now there is a different spot for the winter one.

Big head, reddish amber glow, orange highlights. Like Rudolph doing lines of oxyclean off santas suit.

Sweet dark malt smell, hops, caramel, smells like a barleywine.

Sweet burnt sugars, caramel, spicey, hoppy. Alcohol noticeable. Like deglazing a pan with mulled brown sugar hoppy cider.

Mouthfeel is almost chewy, like a christmas fruitcake. Bitter hops.

Did I mention alcohol present?

After having Stone 13 and looking back at this beer, imperial red's are a tough style to get right.

Double Red India Pale Ale from AleSmith Brewing Company