Speedway Stout - Kopi Luwak

Notes:
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 81 | Ratings: 546
4.77/5  rDev +8.4%

I am one of the lucky ones who had this at O'Brien's Alesmith event for SDBW.

A - Dark Brown/black. Very thick, absolutely no head.

S - Nose of wonderfully roasted coffee beans, with a hint of dark chocolate.

T - Well balanced, incredibly smooth. Mild roast, hint of dark chocolate on the finish. There always seems to be a hint of bitterness in a coffee stout, but this was too smooth. Beautiful.

M - Full-bodied, light carbonation. Textbook stout.

D - I think this is worthy for anyone, but doubly so for coffee lovers. This is one of the greats.

Serving: on-tap

4.73/5  rDev +7.5%

On tap at RBSG 08. Totally black color with a very dark mocha head. Dense and sticky foam adorns the glass. Nose is zesty roasted coffee with a complex chocolate/alcohol note. Flavor is deep semisweet chocolate with an incredible roasted zing. Apparently you get what you pay for with the coffee in this beer, because it's beautifully complex and rich, and unlike any coffee or coffee beer I've ever had. Very thick and luxurious on the palate. Warming with a nice medium finish.

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

Had this at O'brien's on Tuesday night for their Alesmith special during San Diego Beer Week

A - Pours jet black with absolutely no head, and no lacing on the glass. It looks thick, like tar.

S - It smells like a very rich and robust roasted coffee. If I liked coffee in the mornings, this is what I'd want my coffee to smell like.

T - I was having this side by side with regular Speedway. If regular speedway was the instant coffee you make at home in the morning, this is top of the line Starbucks or cafe on a french side walk. But, in my opinion, you have to LOVE coffee, as this DOMINATES the taste. I get no other notes from the stout.

M - Light carbonation, and thick body like a stout should have

D - Not bad, but again, you have to be a big coffee fan. The 5 oz pour was more than enough for the evening for me.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Very difficult to tell this is actually beer. Like nectar of espresso with a dark rich earthy huge blast of coffee aroma and flavor. Sticky but not sweet on the palate. Sampled in a Duvel glass that was perfect as the aroma was outstanding. Much different from the regular Speedway. There is no other coffee stout with more coffee flavor. I'm not a coffee drinker, didn't matter here. This beer is outstanding. Somewhat similar to the oaked speedway with its creamy texture. In 1 word...Luxurious!

4.74/5  rDev +7.7%

I'm glad AleSmith did this brew again. I have been kicking myself for missing this one the first time around last summer. As Shane said before me, this version is the full on shit, 100% Kopi Luwak coffee. Last year's version was a 50/50 blend.

Honestly I didn't know what to expect. I had my doubts that just changing the coffee would impact the beer so much; moreover that Speedway Stout could actually be improved!

The only way to properly review this one was to have it side-by-side with the "regular" version of Speedway Stout, so I ordered one to go along with my Kopi Luwak version. Both beers had the same dark roasted color but regular Speedway had a nice, creamy, head on top throughout the entirety of the beer, while the Kopi Luwak only had a thin, mocha-colored-island-of-a-head near the center.

Wow! Damn good coffee presence! Smelling this one side-by-side with the regular version, the Kopi Luwak has a distinctly sharp roastiness with layers of chocolate and coco, but this one seems to be a little more earthy and fruity (with black currants). Hints of vanilla start to show up with an almost oak woodiness in the back. This beer almost has an espresso-like aroma on the nose, very rich coffee. I have to say that this smells amazing.

Very coffee forward, nice roast and coffee flavor, again with some earthiness and dark fruity currant flavors in the finish. Wood notes in the aftertaste. A bit of alcohol in the end but barely noticeable and better hidden that regular Speedway. Bitter roastiness in the end from roasted barley. Dark fruits like raisins and semi-tart black cherries covered in dark chocolate.

Low carbonation, slick on the palate. Just a bit of sharpness on the tongue.

Honestly, it's a step above regular Speedway, even the taste is significantly different. Regular Speedway seems thin and less roasted by comparison, lacking the initial burst of dark fruit flavors. This Kopi Luwak version had a slightly more complex roast profile. Very drinkable. I went up to get a 3rd sample but unfortunately I took too long taking notes and the beer was gone by then :o(

4.89/5  rDev +11.1%

Two 5oz tasters poured into a Chimay glass (against the rules, I know) juxtaposed alongside regular speedway on 11/10/2009 at O'Brien's. This is pure Kopi Luwak Speedway Stout. I was told by the brewer that the previous incarnation that appeared on another site was a blend of normal Speedway and Kopi Luwak . This instance is pure blooded Civet excrement. It was fantastic that Peter walked around with a plastic glove on holding Civet excrement in his hand the entire night. The beer is black with a small creamy light brown head and good retention.

The nose is immediately pungent coffee with a decided earthiness and a sharp roasted character. Side by side with speedway the quality of coffee is obviously better in the Kopi Luwak. It's the best coffee character that I've ever experienced in a stout. I detect light notes of baker's chocolate and alcohol is well hidden. The coffee is more aromatic than that in regular Speedway.

The taste is pungent coffee with a moderate roast and a distinct earthy quality. The coffee overwhelms my palate without imparting much bitterness or astringency, which I find unique for such a strong coffee flavor. The finish is dry with a slight roast. The mouthfeel is silky and creamy. I'm not a big fan of coffee stouts, but this is utter quality and it truly is the shit. This is the best coffee stout I've ever tried. I would drink this for breakfast, lunch, and...you get the point.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last