AleSmith Double IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Double IPAAleSmith Double IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company
alesmith.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Also known as YuleSmith (Summer)

Every year we anxiously await the warmer months to unleash this Double IPA, the summer edition of our former YuleSmith seasonals. The flavor imparts orange, grapefruit, and tangerine hop notes with earthy, spicy, and resinous pine undertones. A sturdy malt backbone balances out the profound hop bitterness to create a refreshingly assertive and vibrant beer that offers an unapologetically bold expression of fresh American hops.

YEAR ROUND: No – July / August

Added by xlperro on 11-24-2002

Ratings: 1,930 |  Reviews: 959
3.25/5  rDev -23%

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%

Thanks to milwaukeeclassic & bu11zeye for sending bombers of this IIPA my way. Always up for a new IIPA any way, every day.

Well. The first one I inadvertently lost & it was a year old before I noticed, so I took it up to a Canadian island with no electricity in February figuring any beer would taste good, & it did, just fine, but the hops were gone. Didn't review it then (lacking electricity, heat, & any hint of civilization other than a few tip-ups on the ice!), but wanted to try it fresh. That time is now.

And I find that, again, the hops are MIA. The nose is all malt, & the taste follows suit. The brew is malty malty sweet, with just a coloring of hop bitterness at the end of the sip. Not nearly enough for an IIPA in my book.

It's not bad. The malt is strong enough that it doesn't lack taste or flavor, but malt isn't what I was expecting. I'm a bit baffled. Perhaps I've had two very old bottles in a row? Where are the hops?

Pretty good beer, but not at all to my taste of a IIPA.

3.33/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -20.6%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to domtronzero for tossing this one in as an extra!

(A)- Pours a crystal clear yellow color. Produced a massive white frothy head with some serious retention behind it. It is just clinging to the glass with lots of bubbly lacing.

(S)- A nice woody pine and creamy citrus of pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. Crisp.

(T)- Has a rather tart profile with some serious pineapple & grapefruit citrus up front. Tons of citrus in this that really borderlines on tartness level. Some minimal woody pine.

(M)- A tad higher carbonation level than you would expect from the style, but it really is not too bothersome. Really crisp because of it though, with really potent citrus. Some bitterness.

(D)- Slightly different, yet interesting take on a massively over-made style these days. Huge citrus, with ever present bitterness. Good, but I prefer their regular IPA.

3.36/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Good tasting, well balanced but I don't love.

3.37/5  rDev -20.1%

YuleSmith Holiday Ale Summer 2008 version. 22oz bomber purchased from Hi-Time in Costa Mesa.

Definitely better than the Holiday '06 YuleSmith from a while back, which was a goopy, syrupy-sweet hoppy mess. Apparently the winter version is a "Double Red Ale" while these summer versions are Double IPAs.

But as Double IPAs go, this one is still on the sweeter, more viscous side. Not my preference. Pours a very clear medium-orange, hard to see any yeast haze (although it's bottle-conditioned). Nicely persistent white head. Smell is half American citrus/pine hops, half sweet malt. No dough or bread.

Taste about what you would expect from the nose, tons of hops and tons of sweet malt, not as well integrated as you would hope. Hefty on the ABV (8.5%), so not exactly a quaffer.

In the middle tier of California DIPAs. There are lots of folks who love the Alesmith IPA style, but it's a little too close to cloying sweet viscosity of Stone for my taste.

3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

TrebleStauter sent me this one, thanks again!

A- Hazy, bright yellow in color with a finger of thick, creamy white head. Good head retention and good lacing. Relatively thick lacing actually, very nice.

S- Big doses of earthy hops and slightly boozy. I don't usually expect much complexity from DIPA's, but this one really doesn't have much to it.

T- Earthy hops, and once again the booziness shows up. No malt backbone to really speak of, pretty dry and bitter. Very average IMO.

M- Medium bodied, about what I expect from a DIPA. Well carbonated at least, not syrupy like other DIPA's.

D- The booziness gets to me after a while. I'd also have love to seen a better blend of hops. The sheer earthiness got to me, maybe I'm more of a citrus type of guy. Not the best DIPA in the world, but most certainly not the worst.

3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

I got this bottle from MaxStout in a trade. Thanks dude!

A: Very cloudy, light orange color with very generous carbonation and huge mammoth, almost ridiculous head. The retention is so great that it is almost stretching my patience.

S: This thing is going to be a huge citrus bomb!

T: This thing is pretty boozy. I taste the hops, citrus, and some semblance of a malt backbone, but the beer in front of me is not a very balance brew.

M: Foamy and the some! Is this thing unfiltered? The carbonation is pleasant, but the ABV is DEFINITELY detectable. The sweetness is just right for the style.

D: If I ever travel to San Diego, Alesmith is on the top of my list. If I were to travel there, I'm sure it will be in the summer due to my wife's job, so I will order this one (the seasonal) first. Then, I will get a healthy, fresh, on tap taste of this stuff

3.39/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2007 summer version

Cloudy pale orange color with a thin head that leaves some ok lacing. Not very apealing in appearance.

Smell is a burst of citrusy hops that turns musty and a little earthy. Citrus smell leans toward grapefruit but can't quite overpower the musty smell to really kick into that really appealing range.

Taste is obviously hoppy but struggles with the problem a lot of double IPA's have, the sweetness is a little overpowering and becomes cloying. High ABV shows itself too.

Hard to get a take on the mouthfeel, the hops burns out my taste buds and then the sweetness overpowers and then to finish it off there is the alcohol burn.

Overall this one was a letdown. It is certainly better than the average beer but it dosn't live up to the rep that AleSmith has. I'd give it another try but I won't send my wife to Ohio to pick this one up again.

3.41/5  rDev -19.2%

A- A semi-cloudy orange liquid with a massive craggy bone white head that has great retention.

S- Pine, oranges, cut grass, and fruit. Smells good, but also pretty typical of a west coast DIPA.

T- Orange rind and pine with a sweet caramel finish. Very soapy and seems to fall apart on the finish.

M- A nice amount of carbonation, but has an astringent finish. Bitter, dry, and strange on the finish.

D- This takes a bit of work to consume, especially when taking into account the alcohol content (a bit on the lower side for the style). Overall, I am underwhelmed but it is not bad.

3.43/5  rDev -18.7%

There is a bottled on date but it is rubbed off to the point where I can't read it.

Appearance: Slightly hazy burnished gold colored body. The head is a very large fluffy white cap that stands for a long time. Watch out for the carbonation on this one when you pour as the head develops quickly with a careful pour.

Aroma: It has a lovely sweet tangerine aroma. The aroma doesn't remind me of fresh hops or anything but the aroma is still very fresh smelling. Also it isn't loaded with diverse aroma but this one trick pony smells great. It smells so good it makes me want to smell it more.

Taste: That tangerine aroma doesn't really make it into the flavor of the beer. There is a bit of sweet malty flavor and a good deal of alcohol mixed in with that. The hop flavor is a bit grassy. Lots of bitter grapefruit rind without the grapefruit flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer that is dominated by a strong back-bitterness. It has a pretty muddy finish.

Overall: The beer smelled fantastic; I don't know where they were going with the flavor though. If it tasted as good as it smelled...oh man. I guess where the beer lost me was in the grassy flavor mixed with the malt. It just didn't taste great. The mouthfeel wasn't all that great either. It just didn't finish well.

3.43/5  rDev -18.7%

Don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but I didn't care for it at all.

3.45/5  rDev -18.2%

Reviewed from notes
Consumed 8/1 poured in to my Portsmouth Tulip

A: This beer pours a hazy, lighter gold color with a big 3 finger of white sudsy head. Head recedes at a slow pace leaving tones of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is chalk full of pine and citrus hops. Nice bitter nose on this one.

T: Taste starts with a big burst of grapefruit and orange/tangerine flavoring. A piney earthy flavor comes in before a rather surprisingly hearty sweet caramel malt presence.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, crisp body

D: Goes down somewhat easily, a little bit of heat, not too filling, a bit too malty from what I was expecting from a DIPA but a decent beer.

3.45/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I drank this from a 22 oz bottle (winter version) into a rochefort chalice.

The beer pours medium brown with a very light tan head that has no head, retention or lacing.

The aroma is very hoppy with a muted maltiness.

The taste is very interesting, but not sure if that's a good thing. There is lots of hoppiness here but there is something else to, that just brings a weirdness to the beer.

3.46/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: murky bronze.

S: Malts. Some orange peel. Something approximating cinnamon. Did I mention malts? There's also an undercurrent of malts.

T: get some of that orange, but basically drinking honeyed malts here. Some hints of citrus, but muddied in sweetness.

F: trends towards syrupy. Slightly over carbonated.

O: overpriced, exhausting to drink, and one note. A for avoid.

3.48/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

AleSmith Double IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company