AleSmith Double IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Double IPAAleSmith Double IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company
alesmith.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Also known as YuleSmith (Summer)

Every year we anxiously await the warmer months to unleash this Double IPA, the summer edition of our former YuleSmith seasonals. The flavor imparts orange, grapefruit, and tangerine hop notes with earthy, spicy, and resinous pine undertones. A sturdy malt backbone balances out the profound hop bitterness to create a refreshingly assertive and vibrant beer that offers an unapologetically bold expression of fresh American hops.

YEAR ROUND: No – July / August

Added by xlperro on 11-24-2002

Ratings: 1,932 |  Reviews: 959
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Purchased at Julio's. 22oz. bomber Summer edition, blue and red.

A: Pours a very hazy dark amber color with peach highlights. Very frothy and bubbly two finger cream colored head. Looks like a marshmellow that was just taken of the fire. Ridiculously sweet retention and amazing frothy lace.
S: Citrus and pine hop notes dominate the nose. Nice spicyness in there too. Maltyness is slightly noticeable, but isn't able to compete with the level of hops.
T/M: Hops. Pine and citrus fruit hop flavors cross the tongue with a bang. Good sweet malty backbone keeps gives this beer an even keel. Smooth and creamy on the palate--extra soft at first. Good level of bitterness coupled with a dry finish. Bitterness lingers for a pretty long time. Oily and a bit sweet when you lick your lips. Level of carbonation is perfect.
D: Highly drinkable double. I was very excited when I saw this on the shelf. I immediately put it in my cart. Pretty damn tasty--can't wait for the winter version in order to compare.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.67/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours to a slightly opaque gold, not cloudy though. Tremendous head, fades to medium lacing and surface-only layer.
Aroma is prominent alcohol as is the taste. The hops are there, but I fear my bottle is old, date is illegible, but its been in my fridge for about 3 weeks.
Not horrible, but don't know if I would buy it again, given other options.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Poured into my pint glass, this IIPA pours a haystack murky yellow with a white capped head that leaves little lace.

S: The aroma smells more malty than hoppy. Still, I sense a good amount of grapefruit mixed with a sweet, bready pale malt aroma. I wish this IIPA was fresher...I know this beer has to be phenomenal when fresh.

T: Sweet, balanced flavor. A good hoppy bitterness, with a refreshing sweet malt. More hops are surely dominate when fresh, but the malt in this brew is extremely tasty. A precise amount of caramel malt must provide the balance.

MF: Mouthfeel is crisp, yet with a full body. Carbonation is spot on. Finish is clean and doesn't wreck the pallet.

Overall, I'm sure this beer when fresh is a notch above, however, I am glad just to have had a taste of this brew. Thanks to Chris for showing me around Philly and making this possible.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a light copper, with a rich creamy head. Lacing is pronounced. Smell is a blend of fruity hops with a nice yeasty undertone, very pleasing on the nose. Taste begins with a malty smooth beginning that yield to a hop presence at mid palate and finsihes dry. Overall very balanced flavors that invite you to taste more. Mouthfeel is smooth overall...no harshness which is surprising in such a high abv. Very good on the drinkability scale..very deceiving.

Second review...1-7-08 This year's is even better!
A perfect pour....mid-copper, pillow head...outstanding lacing. Cirus, pine, yeast blast on the nose..sweeet. Strong hop presence in the taste, initial creaminess, mid palte hop explosion, desert dry finish. Mouthfeel, while initially smooth, cascades into dry, drier and driest. For the style, the drinkability is tops...while a definite sipper, it is a fantastic experience.

4.02/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours out a hazy orange (I don't mind a bit o' yeast in my brew) with an inch of head and some pretty sweet lace.

The smell has some pineapple, white bread, honey and (as it warms) a hint of pine sap.

This beer is almost all hops in the taste. I ain't complaining, just not much balance. Citrus, apricot, fresh cut grass, lemon peel and a touch of white bread. There is a noticeable alcohol spice that could be worked on. 8.5% isn't too big to hide it better AleSmith. Mouth is smooth with a little heat.

I love AleSmith, but this brew needs just a touch of tweaking in the alcohol taste (and price) department. I'm glad I got to grab one.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

winter

Pours a dark amber with a large inch and a half slightly yellowed head. Excellent retention and some nice lacing.

The aroma is great. Big hop notes, citrus and pine with a nice caramel sweetness and a nice malt presence.

The taste is ok. The hop presence isn't as dominant as I had hoped. A nice bit of pine with a big malt profile.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is fairly high. Easy to drink, alcohol is not very noticeable, and the flavor is decent. The catch for me is it's not as hoppy as I'd like. Good nonetheless.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

Growler (picked up at the brewery earlier today) poured into a mug.

Note: this is the Summer 2007 / Double IPA Holiday YuleSmith.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden-orange color (almost amber). Very clear. Slightly off-white head is very big, thick, and foamy, with lots of retention.

Smell: Lovely bold flowery citrus flavor (lemon, orange, etc.). Nice light piney (and slightly bitter) undertones.

Taste: Nice balance of citrus flavors and piney, bitter, hops. Not particularly complex, but the balance is really great for this type of beer. The aftertaste is predominantly hoppy, but with a flavorful background.

Mouthfeel: Exceptionally smooth and medium-bodied. Light carbonation feel.

Drinkability: Rather strong (alcohol-wise) but never overwhelming.

This is really a fantastic beer. A week ago I had a sampler of this, and picked up a growler today. Addictive and enjoyable. The flavors seem in the proper proportions for this type of beer -- I get the sense that AleSmith is trying to make a good beer, rather than an over-the-top beer (like many double IPAs I've encountered). Very refreshing, and highly recommended.

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Blue/Red colour scheme indicating Summer production. My sincerest apologies as I do not remember from whom I got this one, but I did get it in part of a trade some months back. Many thanks to this mystery BA for throwing this one in.
Appearance looked nice, with a thick, creamy, tightly knit head, approximatley two fingers in thickness, resting atop a moderately cloudy bronze/orange body. Smell was precisley what I was expecting: grapefruit rind and pine resin. However, there was a bit of a sweet tone to the smell, as well as a woody, herbaceous note. Nice.
Now, for flavour, I said simply, "good", but understand this: this is much hoppier than I was even thinking I was ready for. Obscenely hoppy, actually. So for those BA's who have a near chemical dependency on alpha acids, this one is certainly for you. I must admit, this is not a style I seek out, and the whole aggressively hoppy thing is way overdone, IMO, but I really did enjoy this beer. Along with the afore mentioned, it was also easy to drink, all things considered, of course, and concealed it's 8,8%abv rather well. A very nice example of a style I typically don't care for.

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 22 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass. No bottling date on this. Served chilled. Big thanks to Brewpaab for this.

Appearance: Bright pale orange in color. Not cloudy at all. Vibrant. Pours a three finger, fluffy white head with good retention. Really a nice looking beer.

Aroma: Big west coast hops in the form of pine and citrus notes. Some nice candied hop sweetness as well. Very hop forward aroma.

Taste: The pine notes hit very hard. Really nice balance of hop bitterness and sweet citrus notes. Very light malt sweetness to balance. The hops really are the main attraction here. They really capture the strong pine note well. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and medium bodied. Very refreshing, but with a nice underlying creaminess that works well.

Overall, a top notch IPA and a really pleasant surprise. I was afraid with no bottling dat about how well this might hold up, but it was spectacular. The huge pine hop notes with balanced citrus really made this for me. Definitely will pick up again.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%