AleSmith Double IPA | AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Double IPAAleSmith Double IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company
alesmith.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Also known as YuleSmith (Summer)

Every year we anxiously await the warmer months to unleash this Double IPA, the summer edition of our former YuleSmith seasonals. The flavor imparts orange, grapefruit, and tangerine hop notes with earthy, spicy, and resinous pine undertones. A sturdy malt backbone balances out the profound hop bitterness to create a refreshingly assertive and vibrant beer that offers an unapologetically bold expression of fresh American hops.

YEAR ROUND: No – July / August

Added by xlperro on 11-24-2002

Liked:
4.19/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,946 |  Reviews: 964

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Holiday 2007 poured from bomber into Red Oak uber-mug from Spring Garden in Greensboro, NC...

Big, tight, smooth bountiful head = very soapy with sparse lacing. Hazy, mahogany body.

Sweet, floral hops in abundance. Copious butterscotch malt - alcohol and carbonation in background. No issues with balance - a whole lotta everythin'.

Big, melted sweetness of caramel and butterscotch - hops are a sweet and floral backbone of this offering. Malt has a comforting stewed and chewy quality to it.

Very warming on the mouth - huge hop bite on front of palate; viscous malt and alcohol throughout.

Almost too powerful for more than one - the huge quantities of everything make this quite filling but a very enjoyable sipper.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

I have a green and red festive bottle for the Christmas season. I poured it into my large pills style glass. It produced a three finger billowy off white head that just stuck around. The body was a beautiful clear burgandy red in color.

The aroma was piney and grassy not a hint of malts come thru in this one. It was pure hops in all its glory. You could smell them as soon as the cap was off the bottle. The flavor had a bit more malt than I expect in a west cost DIPA. It reminded me of when I sugar my grapefruit, it had about that same flavor profile to me. It had a medium feel in my mouth with ample carbonation. I will say the bottle also had it right, it finished dry.

I easily finished the bomber myself today the drinkability is there. I would have had more but the bottle price is a little prohibitive for that. Saying that a little pricy for DIPA there are a few better for less coin

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

1.62/5  rDev -61.3%

Bomber, no date. Purchased at DeCicco's Brewster. Assuming Summer 2011 batch.

Pours a hazy amber with a very small head. Poor retention, not much lacing.

Wet dog and cardboard on the nose. Can you say oxidized?!

Flavor is malty and woody, not much hops going on. Totally and utterly oxidized. Oh well. Carbonation is low. This is bad.

Dear Alesmith: CODE YOUR BOTTLES PLEASE! I have no idea of knowing how old this stuff is.

Dear Decicco's: How old is this beer-- 1-2 years? Why is it on the shelves?

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours to a slightly opaque gold, not cloudy though. Tremendous head, fades to medium lacing and surface-only layer.
Aroma is prominent alcohol as is the taste. The hops are there, but I fear my bottle is old, date is illegible, but its been in my fridge for about 3 weeks.
Not horrible, but don't know if I would buy it again, given other options.

2002 bottling.

The first glass pours a nice clear copper color, while the second is noticeably darker and hazy due to the lees. Aroma is slightly floral with a good citrus note. Very nice for an aged beer. The flavor is well supported by malts, and reveals strong pine backed by a decent citrus and a subtle floral hoppiness. A very nice beer. The hop bitterness lingers on the finish for a while as well. Mouthfeel is solid and rewarding. Drinkability is also very good. I split this bottle with a friend, but I could have easily enjoyed the whole thing myself. Glad I had the chance to experience this one.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Purchased at Julio's. 22oz. bomber Summer edition, blue and red.

A: Pours a very hazy dark amber color with peach highlights. Very frothy and bubbly two finger cream colored head. Looks like a marshmellow that was just taken of the fire. Ridiculously sweet retention and amazing frothy lace.
S: Citrus and pine hop notes dominate the nose. Nice spicyness in there too. Maltyness is slightly noticeable, but isn't able to compete with the level of hops.
T/M: Hops. Pine and citrus fruit hop flavors cross the tongue with a bang. Good sweet malty backbone keeps gives this beer an even keel. Smooth and creamy on the palate--extra soft at first. Good level of bitterness coupled with a dry finish. Bitterness lingers for a pretty long time. Oily and a bit sweet when you lick your lips. Level of carbonation is perfect.
D: Highly drinkable double. I was very excited when I saw this on the shelf. I immediately put it in my cart. Pretty damn tasty--can't wait for the winter version in order to compare.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%