Wernesgruner | Wernesgrüner Brauerei AG

Style: German Pilsener

Added by SaunaKing on 02-19-2003

3.37/5  rDev +0.3%

3.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my favorite beer, so make no apologies for my numbers.

If you're one of these wo gets into the "notes" and all that poetical stuff, then stop reading and disregard my review. Chances are, we'll never agree on a beer.

I'll describe in my philistine terms what I think of the stuff, as I just poured one into my favorite beer glass from the freezer:

It's yellow, like pee yellow. It'll be that same yellow in 45 minutes. Not straw, nor golden, certainly not the no color descriptions I've seen either. It's yellow like pee.

Decent head with novice pouring skills. What's this "lacing" crap you guys keep talking about? I don't knit or sew. If I did I wouldn't talk about it in a beer site. Is that the foam residue? There is a good bit left in my glass after I drank this one and it went down like The Titanic.

What? Too soon?

This is not a fancy beer. It's unpretentious, fermented barley juice and I keep a steady rotation in the 'fridge. It's got a lot more personality than the macro deploribles. It tastes
Ike beer. It's fizzy, pissy, sour but maybe a bit sweet, without being Mr. Beardo's Micro Hipster Chocolate gumdrop and super hop gluten free stout. It reminds me of stuff the old timers used to drink, especially the ones from Central Europe.

Awesome on a hot day and I agree with the "lawnmower beer" assertions, few other beers will do on a hot day after exertion. But damned fine on a rainy cold day too. Honestly, any hard-assed day where I need to numb the pain and relax, I'm gonna knock a few of these down in the shower and continue under bed time. The biggest beer snob I know calls this his "go-to Pilsner." Whatever my man, this is my beer. But it ain't heavy. It's a proper pilsner, form what little I know of them. I'll take it over Pilsner Urquel any old time, but good with either.

Crap, I gotta task about the smell and "feel" too?

Crack open another and get scientific.

Oh, just like in those old radio adds, I floated a bottle cap on the head. Nice foam residue, urinalysis yellow, perhaps sugar heavy.

It smells like beer. Fizzy, not heavy and friendly. That's all I can say on how it feels. It does bring out the belching pretty quickly. But for me, it's the good, soothing kind that are very loud and stink like a brewery.

If I want a really good beer, I'll go to the U.K., order whatever Bitters they have and be a happy camper, but this is my favorite in that it's what I consume the most, what I think of with beer and what everything else, save for the fancy lambics and Trappists are compared to.

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very clear, golden color with a generous head that dissipates quickly. Slight, pleasant hip nose. Tastes like traditional German planet. Light in the mouth. Surprisingly crisp planet for $5.99 a six pack at ALDI great buy for a good+ import.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the bottle, it pours a light golden color with a modest head, soon reducing to a ring. Grain in the nose. Malt and a bit of hops in the mouth.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.16/5  rDev -35.7%

Not Impressed

This is one of those beers carried by Aldi which are so inexpensive that it's hard to pass by. Plus I like to experiment. I like to try different beers. My wife knows this, and when she was in Aldi she grabbed this along with some others. I'm disappointed. I'd like to say that it's just as good a Meister Brau but at a lower price, but it's not as good as Meister Brau.

It's like a Miller without the taste. It really doesn't have much of a taste, and it's also upsetting to my stomach.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear yellow golden color with white head. Cereal grains mostly on the nose without much else; follows onto the palate. Light bodied. Finishes fairly crisp. Overall, not bad for a cheap pils.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.99/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from a 500ml can.
Overall a nice clean crisp Pilsner, easy drinking cheap beer on a hot day.
$1.79 a can on sale in B.C. Canada a nice change between my hoppy IPA's

3.71/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wernesgruner Brewery's Pilsner. Brewed in Germany. 4.9% alc. 500ml can.

The beer has a thick white head that dissipates quickly.

The colour of the beer is a pale golden that is exceptionally clear. The ascending bubbles are quite substantial.

There is not much aroma and to me that's a bit disappointing. Some barley malt - a graininess -
and white bread, but overall it's faint.

The taste is barley malt, some sweetness, and very delicate hops.

The beer has a smoothness to it that's quite enjoyable. There is minimal carbonation.

Body is light to medium.

The finish is dry.

Overall, I found this a nice beer but there are more flavourful Pilsners available.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a clear light yellow. Head disappears quickly.

Smell is bready and malty with a hint of sweetness.

Taste is a bit sweet, bready and malty, with a nice dose of floral hops on the finish.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, well carbonated.

Overall, a godd, solid pilsner. Nothing to get worked up over, but a good beer.

2.97/5  rDev -11.6%

3.01/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

4.15/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up my six pack at Aldi for around $6.50. Very good Pilsner for the price. If you like traditional German beer, this one will hit the spot. Straw in color and smell, dense foamy head, noble hop bitterness hits you on the first swig. Light to medium mouth feel. Average carbonation. If you like the Czech beer Pilsner Urquell, this is very comparable. In fact, I personally don't think I would be able to tell the two apart in a blind taste test. My German grandpa gives this pilsner a thumbs up. And he appreciates the light hit to the wallet. Prost!

3.27/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 11.2 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appeara ce is a clear golden yellow color with a medium sized white head. The aroma is mild grains and hops. The taste is refreshing but very mild with a bitter finish.

3.91/5  rDev +16.4%

4.18/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.1/5  rDev -37.5%

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

4.41/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

This is a pilsner. It is what a pilsner is meant to be. From one of the oldest breweries in the world, this beer is good. The hops will punch you in the face because you aren't expecting them. Once you get over that shock, you start thinking wow this is definitely what I want to drink from here on out.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%