Wernesgruner | Wernesgrüner Brauerei AG

Germany
wernesgruener.de

Style: German Pilsener

Added by SaunaKing on 02-19-2003

This is my favorite beer, so make no apologies for my numbers.

If you're one of these wo gets into the "notes" and all that poetical stuff, then stop reading and disregard my review. Chances are, we'll never agree on a beer.

I'll describe in my philistine terms what I think of the stuff, as I just poured one into my favorite beer glass from the freezer:

It's yellow, like pee yellow. It'll be that same yellow in 45 minutes. Not straw, nor golden, certainly not the no color descriptions I've seen either. It's yellow like pee.

Decent head with novice pouring skills. What's this "lacing" crap you guys keep talking about? I don't knit or sew. If I did I wouldn't talk about it in a beer site. Is that the foam residue? There is a good bit left in my glass after I drank this one and it went down like The Titanic.

What? Too soon?

This is not a fancy beer. It's unpretentious, fermented barley juice and I keep a steady rotation in the 'fridge. It's got a lot more personality than the macro deploribles. It tastes
Ike beer. It's fizzy, pissy, sour but maybe a bit sweet, without being Mr. Beardo's Micro Hipster Chocolate gumdrop and super hop gluten free stout. It reminds me of stuff the old timers used to drink, especially the ones from Central Europe.

Awesome on a hot day and I agree with the "lawnmower beer" assertions, few other beers will do on a hot day after exertion. But damned fine on a rainy cold day too. Honestly, any hard-assed day where I need to numb the pain and relax, I'm gonna knock a few of these down in the shower and continue under bed time. The biggest beer snob I know calls this his "go-to Pilsner." Whatever my man, this is my beer. But it ain't heavy. It's a proper pilsner, form what little I know of them. I'll take it over Pilsner Urquel any old time, but good with either.

Crap, I gotta task about the smell and "feel" too?

Crack open another and get scientific.

Oh, just like in those old radio adds, I floated a bottle cap on the head. Nice foam residue, urinalysis yellow, perhaps sugar heavy.

It smells like beer. Fizzy, not heavy and friendly. That's all I can say on how it feels. It does bring out the belching pretty quickly. But for me, it's the good, soothing kind that are very loud and stink like a brewery.

If I want a really good beer, I'll go to the U.K., order whatever Bitters they have and be a happy camper, but this is my favorite in that it's what I consume the most, what I think of with beer and what everything else, save for the fancy lambics and Trappists are compared to.

4.9/5  rDev +45.8%

appearance; just what a pilsner should be, in proper straw yellow and quality white beer foam.

smell; less mineral and metallic notes than other pilsners, really noticable hops but not over the top or balance lacking. Superior to say the least!

taste; Hop bitterness is more powerful than other German Pils of high quality but it's a spicy bitterness not a citrus bitterness, balances perfect when it hits the mouth and doesn't hide the malts....perfect! Aftertaste is strong of hops in a pleasant way, the good people at Wernesgrüner could teach the American micro-breweries a good lesson on making a hoppy beer without going too far and destroying its other flavors and drinkability.

mouthfeel; Perfect on the palate with a complex burn and bite, then changes character to go down smooth.

drinkability; My only complaint is that after a few, I would rather switch to something of lower quality as not to disrespect this beer.

Sorry for taking a shot at American micro-brews and I'm sure many hopheads will disagree but this beer is at a level of hop usage they simply cannot comprehend, without a doubt, my all time favorite beer in the world and only 1 Euro!

4.55/5  rDev +35.4%

UPDATE:
Perhaps it's production/quality improvements due to its ownership by Bitberger, but Wernesgrüner now tastes BETTER in my opinion, than it did back in 2009, when I reviewed it last.

A VERY nice example of a north German Pilsner and STILL at a ridiculously low price (I think it's gone up to $6.99 at Aldi).

Given that SAM ADAMS is now at $8.99 a six pack (sorry, it ain't worth that!) and typical German pilsners cost more like $10 or $11, this is definitely one of THE best buys around.

IF you appreciate fine, refined...German style Pilsner, you will love this. IF you don't--and many craft-brew aficionados have a hop-scarred palate--you only have your own taste to blame.

(Interestingly, if you look on a map, Wernesgruen, Germany is closer to Pilsen, Czech, than is Prague. Imagine that!)
~~~
One of the great beer-bargains still out there. As of '09 this eastern German brewed beer is available at Aldi for 5.99 a six pack... about as cheap as Michelob!

Pours nicely with a typically German big frothy head, and settles down giving decent lacing on the glass. Smells like grass and clean malt...very pleasant, and typical of good pilsners. Taste is gentle and malty at first, with a very clean quite hoppy aftertaste--the way pilsners ought to be.

Mouthfeel is decent, but not heavy--quite unlike an ale--but not watery either.

This is a very drinkable beer, and, next to Bitberger about my favorite normal German pils. Lammsbrau (organic) German pilsner is the best I've had--but this is a close 3rd. And at a dollar a bottle, you can't beat it.

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

4.42/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.41/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.39/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Awesome German pilsner, try one!

4.3/5  rDev +28%

poured from brown 12 oz. bottle.
comes out a nice straw gold color with great clarity and a small fluffy head that retains pretty well. smells of musty saaz or hallertau hops. very very earthy aroma. taste is very light with good hoppiness....very similar to czech pilsners like urquell. very little body, but the hops make this beer extremely drinkable. this is a very nice pils, imho. i could drink gallons of the stuff.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

Just a beautiful pilsener! Very smooth and refreshing...similar to budvar ..Prost !

4.23/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wernesgruner pours a crystal clear, deep straw-gold body beneath a bright white head of foam. It rises up majestically at first to a full three fingers, and then settles slowly to two, and then one, and then just a thin, wispy, but solid surface covering. The lacing is better than average, leaving behind some solid sheets of lace that resemble mountains rising from the surface of the beer with each sip (or gulp).

The aroma is mainly of a malt that's straightforward pils, backed by grassy and floral hops.

In the mouth it's medium bodied and gently crisp. There's a touch of dextrins to it, and it's remarkably smooth.

The flavor delivers the firm maltiness that the nose suggests accompanied by herbal and grassy hops with minor touches of floral and spicy notes. The bitterness punches right through it in typical German fashion, and stirs everything up before bringing it to a dry and spicy conclusion. As it warms it becomes softer with the malt becoming richer, and the bitterness cutting through less. In fact, it becomes almost buttery - not to suggest an actual buttery flavor so much (although there is a minor hint) as an oily feeling on the palate. The herbal, grassy and spicy hop character remains, and it becomes even more balanced.

For fans of German pilsners, this should not be missed. It has a unique character that's charming and interesting. It could be more rounded and balanced, yes, but that would be to take away some of its uniqueness. Worth seeking out.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

This is a step above most pils in a can as it actually finishes fresh and crisp with a real bitterness to the beer. Pale yellow colour with a very white head. The nose is noble hops and the taste is very dry for the style. I need to have a bunch of these in the fridge this winter to counterpoint the heavy sweetish winter beers that I usually drink

4.18/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 500 ml Can into a Wernesgruner German beer mug.

[A]:
It appears a very nice clear yellow/golden straw colour with some thin white head on top. The effervescence is quite apparent after the pour.

[S]:
Fresh cut grass, slight floral scent, maybe some hints of citrus and malt.

[T]:
Very crisp tasting, hops come through the most for me up front, also some sweet honey taste with some malt in the background, ends on a lemon-citrus note. Extremely well balanced.

[M]:
Definitely a clean and crisp mouth feel, lot's of carbonation as well, but not too much. Very refreshing.

[O]:
This is a really great German Pils, especially for the price (8.99$ Canadian for a 4 Can Pack). It is pretty similar to Bitburger, but I would say the difference being that Wernesgruner is more hops oriented and Bitburger is more malt oriented. I think the thing that impresses me most with this beer is how well balanced it is. Definitely a great session brew, especially in the summer time as it's very refreshing but also full of flavour.

4.15/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up my six pack at Aldi for around $6.50. Very good Pilsner for the price. If you like traditional German beer, this one will hit the spot. Straw in color and smell, dense foamy head, noble hop bitterness hits you on the first swig. Light to medium mouth feel. Average carbonation. If you like the Czech beer Pilsner Urquell, this is very comparable. In fact, I personally don't think I would be able to tell the two apart in a blind taste test. My German grandpa gives this pilsner a thumbs up. And he appreciates the light hit to the wallet. Prost!

4.15/5  rDev +23.5%

I rated this beer previously with no review.* Since I remember liking it and wanting to give it another try -- and finding a crazy fresh batch (best by 05/04/2016), I'll give it time for a review.

A -- Clear, yellow-gold with a thick, fluffy white head that holds up well.

S -- Good malts, DMS, and spicy hops. Very good to-style.

T -- Heavier malts than the usual German Pils -- reminiscent of Czech Pils. Great bready and sweet maltiness with a terrific balance of herbal and bitter hops that linger through the finish and aftertaste. There's even a mild touch of diacetyl in the aftertaste, making it even more Bohemian-like.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft and slick with a light-medium body.

O -- Let alone being very good in a price-to-quality standpoint, this beer (freshness caveat strongly stressed) is a great Pilsner example -- being a sort of hybrid between a German and Czech Pilsner. Since the brewery is very close to the Czech border, the influence is clearly plausible. Highly recommended if you find fresh stock.

*3.75 on 9/24/2012

4.1/5  rDev +22%

While shopping for some groceries at Aldi, I noticed the Steubenville, Ohio just got in their wine and beer selection. In addition to this nice German pils they had a green bottled Dutch lager that wasn't Heine, and a clear bottled Latin American lager that wasn't Corona. Back to the best bet of the three options, Wernesgruner label claiming to be one of the oldest brewery? 1436!!! I guess Weihenstephaner is the oldest continually operating brewery...this one has an old school label gold foil neck reminiscient of an old pilsner urquell.

Thank god a brown bottle, poured into my vintage Schlitz trumpet style pilsner glass. I've got a set of four Hamm's, PBR, and Miller High Life to round out the group. Pours a lightly hazed pale golden straw hue with a bright white cloudy head that rises above the rim of my glass, fine even intricate lacing left behind with each sip. Effervescent tiny bubbles stream up from the bottom of the glass.

Aromatics offer up zesty citric tones with a lemongrass character, mild sweetness touch of 2 row husks. Mild sweetness brings a mild biscuit or light toasted cracker edge to the party. Very mild mineral or metallic edge can be seen and thanks to those brown bottles very little skunk going on among the beautiful noble hop presence. Definitely a well crafted fresh version of a German pils, best by date on the packaging and the bottles is 3/18/09.

Flavor is great nothing that blew away my expectations but it's rock solid for a German pils, comparable to fresh Weihentephaner pils or Kulmbacher, or Weltenburger. Definitely a nice price and a great grab on a non beer focused trip to the store. Solid noble hop bitterness is blended perfectly by light toasted malts bringing cereal biscuit malt sweetness into the picture, but a light dry clean finish is present in every sip. Assertive noble hops bringout lemongrass, and citrus fruits excellent combonation for any lager/session beer enthusiast.

Mouthfeel is light but effervescently carbonated, very lively tickles the throat leaves very mild hop oils on the palate. After each sip it goes from a crisp sweetness with the biscuit malt to a dry noble hop finish, and mineral content has a lot to do with this experience as well.

Drinkability is probably the highlight of this fine deutsch brau. 3 to 4 from a sixer is effortless, and you'll probably fight to finish a sixer if you bring this to a party. Solid session lager in all it's glory, for an affordable price. Don't get me wrong I love local micros those are my passion, but if I can get a well put together import for under a 8 bucks a six than I'm pretty much sold especially when standard Sam Adams are going for 9 a sixer right now and Sam Smith's are 9.95 a 4 pack in my area.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

Classic beer from Saxony, rather hoppy, with pleasant bitterness and a bit tart aftertaste. Well-pronounced malts, a small yeasty note. Pale, sometimes greenish color. Very appetizing aroma. Excellent aperitif but not a thirst-quencher - after a second pint your tongue feels too bitter. Recommended!

4.04/5  rDev +20.2%

4.01/5  rDev +19.3%

4.01/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

11.2 oz bottle BB 12/15/17 poured into a pilsner glass at fridge temp. Pours bright and pale straw color. One inch of white head persists for a while and fades away leaving minimal lacing. Smell is slightly sweet with grass and lemon predominant. Taste follows with pils malt, then grass & lemon, finishing with balancing bitterness. Mouthfeel is mostly dry and sharply carbonated. Overall, great value for $6/6pk and very tasty. You can pay a lot more for this style and probably couldn't tell in a blind tasting.

500 ml can

A-Beautiful thick white head over a very clear pale gold. Head sticks around until the last sip and then sits at the bottom of the glass. Nice bubbles looks like an upside down snowglobe. Very good thick lacing in long horizontal patches around the glass.
S- Sweet grain, Hops, Apple juice.
T- Same as smell but apple juice is very discreet. Hops have a peculiar dry bitterness that I can't quite explain. There's no "oiliness" at all.
M- Full. Crisp. High carbonation.
D- High drinkablity. I've already had 4 liters of this in an afternoon.

Great beer. And one of the cheapest ones on sale here.

Wernesgruner from Wernesgrüner Brauerei AG