Wernesgruner | Wernesgrüner Brauerei AG

Style: German Pilsener

Added by SaunaKing on 02-19-2003

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Reviews: 170 | Ratings: 323

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear straw with a white and frothy head which rose tall and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was crisp with a light aroma hop which was slightly spicy and just every so slightly grassy. The aroma intensified as the beer warmed and contained a very slight sweetness.

The flavor was crisp and dry with a substantial bittering component and a hop flavor that was lightly spicy and slightly grassy. The malt flavor was low but present and complemented the hop presence.

The finish was dry with a lasting hop bittering into the aftertaste. The body was just below medium. A nice pils, nothing outstanding, but a good solid pils. For the price paid, this one should be a staple.

12 ounce bottle. $4.49 a six at Aldi. Freshness dating was in code L1855.

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: It got a quite pale straw colour for a beer and not too much head. At least, you don't spill half of your pint before you can drink it.

Smell: The aroma is very fruity.

Taste: This beer is very hoppy. Lots of rich fruity flavours with a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It depends. Sometime it was rich and creamy, sometimes the carbonation was burning my tongue (typical of a cheaper beer). Instable mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Usually, Pils is not really my favorite style, but this one is not that bad (especially for its price - cheaper than domestic beers). For someone on a budget, it worths a try.

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

Aldi’s is the grocery store where the poor people go and even though I’m poor it’s got too much of a stigma attached to it for me ever stop there. It’s filled with flies, even in the winter, and it always smells like rotting tomatoes mixed with the earthen body odor of a child in early puberty or a full-grown Bosnian man with an open shirt.

I realized yesterday afternoon that I thought I was better than Aldi’s—despite my penury and shoddy appearance I keep up some semblance of middle classness (such as my affinity for expensive cheese and my lack of a Git-R-Done T-shirt or tattoo) and have always felt that Aldi’s was somehow beneath me. That’s where the immigrants shop. People who have actually at one point in their lives been denied gas station service because of their lack of shoes. It says right on the door that you need to wear them.

The road was packed with freshman eager to drive two hours home and tell mommy and daddy how school went and break the bad news to Suzy Creamcheese down the block that I know we said we’d love each other forever but I met some skank last week and, well… we can still be friends. I was in the turning lane and a young man in old Subaru didn’t check his blind spot and nearly merged into me. I laid on the horn and he skidded back into his lane, which was by that time filled with another freshman. It was loud and frightening and I somehow found myself in the Aldi’s parking lot afterwards, in need of alcohol. I thought about class and status and Velben and got angry at myself for falling into such a trap and marched boldly inside the store.

And boy was I in luck! Turns out that Aldi’s has been selling beer and wine for over a year and I was too good to notice. And what’s this? It’s beer I’d never heard of, and at such cheap prices even if it was crap it would be worth a try. I bought a sixer of a German Pils called Wernesgruner.

Nice bottle and a very nice head but an unfortunate dull white color like Bud. Decent, still. (Points added later due to great lacing and a head that refuses to die).

Heavy malts and rich fruity esters. Like Bitburger, more than anything. Rich and very nice.

A rush of harsh malt followed by organic pilsner grain that finishes on a decent node of smooth euro pils grain. A wonderful bitter grain aftertaste, too.

I gotta admit, when I saw this on sale for 3.49 a sixer at Aldi's, I only bought it for novelty. I am surprised that it's decent, let alone good!

3.62/5  rDev +7.7%

Canned sample. Light gold in colour with lots of carbonation. Fairly rich malty aroma from this one with some milder grassy hop notes. Very crisp mouthfeel, with flavor notes of light malt, clean grassy hops, and a very slight touch of citrus. Very satisfying indeed. A good example of the classic German pilsner style.

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear golden yellow, big fluffy white head, decent lacing. Smell is sweet, kind of a grainy malt smell, honey, little bit of discernible hops. Taste is very sweet, not very pleasant, it tastes almost skunked except its in a can. Honey sweetness, almost cloying, no hops to be found. Smooth carbonation, light mouthfeel, and not pleasant.

3.19/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a golden yellow color with a small sized white head. It doesn't seem to have much carbonation, little to no fizziness. The smell is of nice sweet hops. It really doesnt have that skunky bitter smell that I notice in a lot of German pilsners. The taste is very subtle at first, almost like a light beer. There is a hop bitterness midway through, and the beer finishes with bready tastes. The mouthfeel is not bad for the style of beer, and it goes down pretty well. Overall, its not a bad beer, but it seems to lack any outstanding or unique qualities.

3.89/5  rDev +15.8%

500ml euro-can (import). Put a pale straw colored lager in my Pilsner flute....moderate head but good lacing on the glass sides. Moderate carbonation.

This German Pils has a good/different aroma...instead of the expected Saaz floral bouquet we get a deep blast of herbal-musty German hop varieties over a sweet bready undertone...very nice.

As a Pils hound my palate is over worked with the expected Bohemian/Czech profile pils... I’m beginning to be more partial to the Northern German Pilsners...this one did not disappoint....good biscuity malt spine balanced with the marvelous blend of herbal German hop varieties one would expect in a rich Marzen...I like the mix...this is a very good, and well made, Pilsner...fresh refreshing slightly dry but with enormous taste.

3.96/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up in a Vladivostok supermarket, this dark green can has a gold label a branch of hops above the name. Purity law applies, of course. Best before the end of March 2005, I opened it on 4/7/05. Oops.

Pours a classic clear gold under a two finger white head with lovely contour, great retention and a nice network of lace down the glass. Yup, this is what a Pils should look like. The nose is very malty, smooth but lacking any hop spice to balance. The mouth is medium carbonated and slightly sticky, although light in body. Good smooth bready malt taste with a decent hop bitterness in the background. The hops are floral in nature, not at all skunky. The finish is more malt sweet than hops bitter, while the aftertaste maintains a bit of both. Nice, solid if unspectacular product.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Now packaged in handsome brown glass bottle. I echo Buckeye's presentation comments which in tandom with a most persistent meringue-like head (which forced me to drink off about 1 or 2 inches before I could reach this slightly turbid pale yellow Pils) waranted the high initial score above.
A hoppy aroma with some yeasty bread undertones.

Not a great taste but certainly much better than expected providing a light body (Pils style) I may be ranking it a little too low. Taste little sweet and bready malt flavored. Some hop taste lingers.

About 2 tablespoons of thick head sat at the bottom on the Pils glass which required 2 rinsings to clear away!

Its not going to be a problem splitting this six pack

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Wernesgrüner, “die Pils Legende” pours a lovely light amber from a 12oz brown glass bottle. Head went to about four fingers in my 22oz beer glass before disappating to a well defined ring, light foam cap, and beer glass walls that are well laced.

Nose is a rustic German toasted malt, no hops no alcohol just a wonderful German toasted malt. Palate is a nice toasted barley malt with bittering hops, a good balance between the two, I would say.

A good German Pils this Wernesgrüner, “die Pils Legende” and at Aldi, check it out!

3.55/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I got this sample from my dad. He purchased it Aldis for $4.99 per sixer.

Green 11.2 oz bottle with a kind of neat label. I forgot to check for freshness dating.

The beer pours a nice light, bright yellow. Crystal clear with a dense head. Decent lacing.

The smell is of grain, pepper and some floral scents. No skunk aroma at all.

The taste is slightly sweet with a decent hop counter punch. The hops add a nice spicy note. The beer seems well balanced. No off or adjunct tastes.

The carbonation is sprightly which adds to the slighlty creamy mouthfeel. Drinkabity is good. This would be a very easy drinking session beer if you like this style.

The beer is easy to match with food (except something really spicy). This is not a bad beer at all and I will consider keeping a six pack on hand. An enjoyable no-brainer!

3.63/5  rDev +8%

never had it and it was $3.99 a 6er. why not? pours out a light golden, vibrant carbonation and a nice fluffy white head. smells of lightly sweet malt and grains with some nice hops, maybe a little straw? flavorwise...alot like the nose. lightly sweet, raw tasting...nice spicy hops...tingly bubbles in the mouth, crisp, maybe a touch thin but still very refreshing. i like this stuff. damn refreshing and at that price, one hell of a bargain. im hyped.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Pale yellowish amber with abundant, though lazily rising, bubbles. The bright white head has some substance to it and looks good during its slow motion collapse. Broken sheet of thin, soapy lace end up on the glass. A good look overall.

The nose is pils hoppy with a bit more depth than is usual. It's spicy and floral and maybe even a trifle citrus fruity. I doubt that I will ever love this style or will ever like noble hops as much as their American counterparts, but the aroma emanating from my glass is well above average.

No real surprises on the palate. There's a wee nudge of sweetness at the start, followed by a mildly biting hoppiness and notes of lime and sweet hay. I don't know why I taste lime more than lemon, I just do. Clean, dry finish. Although the beer is a shade more complex than most pilseners, it doesn't have that 'certain something' that would make me love it. The body is light and the mouthfeel is lively.

Wernesgruner doesn't make me feel like shouting the chorus from "Deutschland Uber Alles" from the rooftops, but it is a drinkable pilsener that was enjoyable while it lasted. I doubt that I'll seek it out again, but then very few beers of this style are accorded that honor.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

poured from brown 12 oz. bottle.
comes out a nice straw gold color with great clarity and a small fluffy head that retains pretty well. smells of musty saaz or hallertau hops. very very earthy aroma. taste is very light with good hoppiness....very similar to czech pilsners like urquell. very little body, but the hops make this beer extremely drinkable. this is a very nice pils, imho. i could drink gallons of the stuff.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer poured a typical light yellow/gold with big 2 inch frothy head. The head lasted a bit longer than a typical pilsner, which was nice. No evidence of lacing

Smell was bad, very bad. This bottle may have been sitting around too long or something, but this beer was seriously skunked. From what I could tell (beyond the skunkiness), this beer would have a nice mild hop aroma too it.

Taste was not bad but definately nothing to write home about. Light and crisp. Not my preferred style, but drinkable.

A touch too much carbonation made it difficult to do anything but sip this beer, which is not how I prefer to drink a pilsner.

Overall, I would like to try it on tap to see if it gets any better, but I'm not going to spend my hard earned money on any more bottles.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a pale yellow with a generous white head that laces quit well, especially for a pilsener. Aroma is primarily hops, and a bit of a sour yeast smell. Taste was hops and was pleasantly crisp on the finish, but was bit too carbonated for me. It is drinkable, but as far as pilseners go there are many other things that I would prefer.

3.73/5  rDev +11%

Always looking to try new beers, I picked this up at a nearby Aldi for $4.99 a sixer (11.2 oz bottle). Bottle color is very unusual (Emerald green). Pours a very pale, clear yellow with a moderate head. Hops are most noticable with a little malt in the background. Finish is dry, clean, and crisp with a lingering hop bitterness.

Note: Now in a 12 oz brown bottle. Price at Aldi just lowered to $4.49/six. A good beer at a great price..

2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

Big smell of hops as soon as I cracked the can and poured it up. Moderate head with good staying power, good job of lacing the glass. Very, very pale yellow and quite clear (as opposed to the murky examples cited by other reviewers).

Doesn't taste as big as it smells. Mild hops, mildly bitter finish that lingered for a bit. Quite light actually. Fine as a light summertime quaff I would say, easy, but not especially memorable.

3.05/5  rDev -9.2%

This brew pours a light golden colour but is murky, the crown is short but the lace does stick around for awhile..The body is medium/full and the taste is from mild hops to which seem to linger a short while. Slight aroma of yeast..Nothing exceptional but passable.

2.61/5  rDev -22.3%

A very strange colour, unlike I have ever seen. Lemony yellow but slightly cloudy, not clear at all. Not sure how this is possible for a Pilsner. Smell was ok, like bread. Very hard to get over the colour. Taste is nothing special. Kind of tasteless, like a light beer or something. Doesn’t feel right but goes down ok.

Really, they should use the colour as some marketing trick because beer (pilsner anyway) should not look like this.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last