Allagash Dubbel Ale | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Dubbel

Allagash Dubbel boasts a deep red color and a complex malty taste. The finish is dry with subtle hints of chocolate and nuts. The yeast asserts itself by lending a classic Belgian fruitiness.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

3.8

Ratings: 1,706 |  Reviews: 791
4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

I can't believe how surprised I was by Allagash's double offering. After being totally underwhelmed by Allagash's White, I wasn't expecting much from Allagash's Double. Boy was I wrong. I bought a single of it as a throw-in with a purchase of Westmalle Doubele and St. Bernardus Abt 12 and it definately held its own. Deep burgundy hue, excellent floral aromas, I was in love. I just bought a log of it for my home bar, can't wait to try it on draft! Anyone looking for a lower-cost alternative to that Chimay or Westie, check this out!

3.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed 5/22/12

L: A dark, hazy reddish-brown.

S: Deep Belgian aroma of dark malts, dates, and rum. Malty but not too spicy. Not bad.

T: Malty Belgian character upfront. Somewhat spicier than aroma lets on. Dark fruits, with a fairly clean finish. Rather unidimensional I gotta say. No significant aftertaste save a very slight bitterness.

F: Medium-full body with medium carbonation. Slight alcoholic warmth, but pretty mellow for the abv.

Overall Impression: This was not an outstanding Dubbel; not terrible, but far from excellent. For my money there are much better ones available. As for Allagash, I think their pale Belgian beers are more on point.

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%

Batch #53
This is a very nice looking beer. Really one of the nicest I have seen in awhile. It pours out with the traditional belgium tall head and lots of carbonation. The beer is translucent, appearing a dark brown until you hold the beer up to the light and it appears a cherry red all the way through. It has a nice cherry/red plum smell to it. A bit of coriander in there too. Not bad, it would be nice if the fruity smell played better with the coriander. The coriander not just falls flat.
Next step is to taste it. It has a different taste, less roasted than I am accustomed. The fruity come out with much less spice coming later in the taste for me. A little like cranberry and black cherry. Not bad tasting at all, but I'd like to see more roasted flavor come out. With a little more chocolate flavor I could see this getting a 5.0 with a taste like a cherry cordial.
Other than the one negative this is a nicely drinkable beer. No alcohol flavor, light to medium body and clean with a nice bite of carbonation. No problems drinking this one at all.

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

What a strange beer. First off, what's with the twist-off cap? I couldn't get mine off for the life of me, so I resorted to the traditional method -- using my teeth.
Anyway, this pours a murky brown-amber color with minimal head and the slightest lacing. The first thing I thought of when I smelled it was a cigar dipped in some sort of chocolate liqueur. There are also undertones of fig, raisin and other dark fruits.
As for the taste, I find this drinks much more like a German-style dopplebock than a Belgian dubble, particularly the heavy cocoa accents. It doesn't quite have that banana-clove thing going either. There is an earthy, slight tobacco aftertaste, with decent hops bittering to round things out. This makes for a clean finish but not an incredibly mouthfilling or complex beer. Therefore, it would actually make as decent a session beer as a dubble probably could be.

Re-review 10-16
I was being too nice to this beer because I love so many of Allagash's other offerings. This stinks. It tastes like a liquid Tootsie roll. I actually poured most of this out, which is rare for me. I would be doing a disservice to BA's who might read this to give this anything higher than a 3.0.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a dark, hazy amber with a creamy, sticky lace. Typical Beligian aroma: grassy, earthy, and a bit tart. Taste is very earthy malt. I did not detect very much fruitiness. Clean aftertaste. Quite warming. Certainly not one of the best dubbels I've had, but not bad all around.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

This brew poured with almost no head, except for a hint of white capping the dark orange cloudy body. Mild carbonation was visible on the brew. The nose had hints of spices and dark fruit. A bit of the typical Belgian smells, but pretty subdued. The taste was definite dark fruits with some booze. I also got some spice and breadiness to it. The other odd thing I got was a bit of a metallic taste. A bit of brown sugar and caramel comes out towards the end. The metallic taste really lingers with the finish. This brew was a bit of a let down. I wouldn’t rush back to have it again.

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the first Allagash beer I have enjoyed. I have heard a lot of good things about these beers and have accumulated a good stock of some of their other limited production beers that are in various stages of aging. Anyway, back to the dubbel...(drinking it as I am writing)

A: Golden brown with a nice head and carbonation
S: Fruity and light, pleasant
T: Very nice, fruits with almost a light plum flavor (I did just get finished drinking some pretty steep stouts!!)
M: Sweet and light, creamy and nice
O: Really good beer, a good start for my first Allagash!

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Reviewed from notes on 7-26-10.

A: Brownish-amber in color; more amber emerges when held to light. Wild, speedy, linear carbonation bubbles stand out to my eye. A 1/2 finger head resulting from a fairly light pour retains well. The lacing is great- like the waters of the ocean stirred by a terrible tempest. Also, it is sooo sticky.

S: A complex, sweet malt bill greets my nose. Two scents that stand out the most are brown sugar and cappuccino. Hiding behind those aromas are vanilla, caramel, plum, and fig. This is a decently big and quite pleasant aroma. I would use this as an air freshener.

T: There is a spiciness to the taste that I did not detect in the smell. little pepper and coriander at the beginning of the ship support the sweet malts. Like the smell, the brown sugar and cappuccino flavors are most prevalent. There is not much complexity in the flavor of this beer, but it is a pleasant dubbel and it does have a nice dry, earthy hop finish that washes the sweetness of the malts off of my palate.

M: Fairly creamy, but just a bit on the thin and watery side for me. All of the surfaces of my palate are engaged, but the MF just seems to be missing a tangible ummph.

D: This is a nicely drinkable brew. It is not the most complex dubbel out there, but it is a pleasant sipper with a reasonable price tag.

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Look: Dark amber brown with red hues. Big Frothy off white head that disappeared quickly. Smell: Belgian spicy yeast, roasted malt, black wild cherries, candy sugar, toffee sweetness as the brew gets warmer. Taste: wheat, mild spicy yeast, candy sugar, cherries in the backend, roasted nut type of flavor, bread dough. Feel: medium body, boring carbonation.

Overall: this is an ok brew, the only weakness this provides is the boring carbonation, it isn’t as lively as I would have liked but it comes together nicely. This is worthy.

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%

Batch # 73

This beer had the sexiest, greatest pour a beer can have. Pours dark amber and cloudy right into the glass. Sits in the glass the same.
Slightly offwhite rolling billowing 2 inch head. Great, great lacing on the sides of the glass.

SMells of raisons, clove spice, yiest, and a general overall "sweetness".

Raisons and phenolic flavors dominate the palette. I good hop profile with mild bittering followed by medium alcohol spice. Yeast is present alongside with a classic belgian candy sugar taste.
A very wet, sugary dominance over all other aspects of this brew. Somewhat over carbonated.

Another great dubbel right along the lines with it's style. A very typey Dubbel.

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

This pours a peasant, light amber with a decent head. The head seemed to increase in size and retention as it was consumed. Nice. The smell is of rich, dark fruits primarily of apples, pears, plums, etc. These continue into the taste with a nice backing of slight bitterness. The mouthfeel is the only weak component of the beer as it is very watery. However, quite drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%