Allagash Four | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash FourAllagash Four

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.

Added by UnionMade on 03-26-2004

Reviews: 461 | Ratings: 989
3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Allagash Four (750 ml):

Not bad, but I'd expect more of a Quad from Allagash. Sometimes I think it just needs to sleep for a while...but it would have to be Sleeping-fuckin'-Beauty to bring this up to par. Thin mouthfeel…kind of yeasty and characterless when compared to serious quads. This beer is a Unibroue La Terrible wanna-be…but it simply just falls short.

Cheers…

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

22 oz bottle poured in my pint glass with " Heroes " - David Bowie on the Hi-Fi . The guitar of Robert Fripp on this track is magnificent . Hopefully this brew from Allagash with be the same . Bottle is capped caged and corked with luminous lettering on the bottle . When poured it has a beautiful frothy cream colored head . Burnt amber color and beaming aroma abound . First taste is scrumptious and flavorful . The aroma of honey & fig . Honey is also what I taste with a tad bit of booze burn which is wonderful . half-way through my pint there is plenty of lacing and a thin head . This is another great brew by Allagash in my book . Splendid .

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Murky amber-medium brown, even with a fairly delicate pour. Light just dies in the middle of the Chimay goblet. Modest head winds up a wispy froth, mostly on the edges of the glass. Batch #16, says the bottle.

Quady notes of candi sugar, caramel, milk chocolate, butter-fried hot dogs and brown sugar baked beans are prodded forth by the various Belgian yeasts. Yum.

Clean feel with just the right amount of spicy hops and carbonation makes this not too heavy to enjoy. Herb, earth and mint also comes to mind with the hops, balancing a very dark sugar-forward flavor, with some tobacco notes. Booziness is perceived before tasted - it creeps in with warmth, as butterscotch and candied dates do on the nose. With the second pour, the sugar lets up a little and I notice more chocolate and earthy hop flavors, and it's a bit smoother on the palate.

This could almost be considered a dubbel; it's easier to handle and relatively drier than most quads I've had, certainly too dark for a tripel, but lacks the raisin and sourness most dubbels tend to have. Well-crafted, warming, gets you drunk. A joy!

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a goblet. The color is a beautiful dark cherry red. Nice head, about one finger and it doesn't last long.

The smell is not as strong as you might expect. Some caramel and raisin but nothing overwhealming.

The taste is outstanding. Lots of dark fruits, plums and cherries at the finish. It reminds me of Three Philosophers but lighter on the cherries. The sweetness is a pleasant surprise. The alcohol warmth makes its presence known at the end although very quietly given the ABV. The mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation that adds to the smoothness.

An outstanding beer that is extremely drinkable.

2.91/5  rDev -28.5%

Batch 21, poured into a snifter. Reviewed 11/27.

A- Poured with a nice 1 1/2" light tan, foamy head that settled down to a dusting eventually. The beer is dark, burnt orange and semi-opaque.

S- Mostly dominated by yeast. Some fruit and a touch of malt. Alcohol at times, especially after it warmed up a bit.

T- More going on than the smell indicates. Some grassy, floral notes upfront followed by toasted malt, caramel, and candy sugar. Finishes strong on spicy yeast. Alcohol is often detectable as well. The combination of spice and alcohol was very medicinal to me. Really harsh/jumbled flavor profile that doesn't seem balanced at all.

M- Lighter side of medium. Very smooth, no carbonation that I noticed. Lightly dry finish.

D- The spicy yeast flavors overshadowed everything in this one for me from the getgo, so I didn't particularly enjoy it. Flavorwise this reminds me of a Belgian strong pale. Some hops are present upfront, but the maltiness is lacking here. The different flavors just never jived for me enough to really enjoy this. Unfortunately not worth the high price tag.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Dense solid amber body with a soapy tan bubble head. Lots of nice alcohol legs and lacing.

Nice clean smelling Quad. Lots of raisins, cherry, apple, sweet sugars, and yeast esters.

Lost of great flavors...clove, cherries, fresh cut red apples, apple skins, candied sugar, and golden raisins. The carbonation is the star of the show here. What a great mouthfeel and amazing drinking beer. Carbonation moves everything along drys out slightly and a nice sweetness is left on the palate. A very light alcohol tinge pops through right at the finish.

The fermentation process (4 times here) is truly amazing. The beer drinks incredible and nice subtle flavors are prevalent all throughout. One of the best American takes on a Quad period! Most Belgian Quads don't match up.

[94/100]

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%

This is worthy of some extended aging. Nice Brownish orange color. Head is not huge, like you would expect from a belgian, but then again, it may still be fermenting in the bottle. Aroma is a menage of hops, bubble gum (which I would attribute to being young), and candi. Flavor is bold. Sticky sweetness blended with lots of hop flavor, and a tad bit of bitterness. Finishes long and sweet. Will be buying a couple more.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

a - Apple cider appearance with a one finger head that dwindles to light coating quickly. No lacing.

s - Apple cider, again, with some flowery hops that don't entirely cover the warm alcohol notes.

t - Spicy hops with a little tartness. I'm tasting a little chocolate in there too. Slighty bitter and malty finish with some nuttiness and warming alcohol on the swallow. A bit of mouth numbing from the ABV rides along with the malty mouth coating.

m - Full-bodied. Almost feels like I need might need to chew a little. Hearty. Good zesty carbonation.

d - I thought this might be too gimmicky with its promise of "4 Malts, 4 Hops, Fermented 4 Times." The result is a pretty smooth beverage that goes down easy. The only tip off on the 10% ABV is on the finish. Tangy and tasty on each new sip.

It would have been nice to get a little information blurb on the bottle about the quadruple fermentation but it's a nice bottle regardless.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Got to try this at Get Real NY. Poured about 3ounces. Big foam head. Lots of spice. Heavy booze flavor. Big fat malt flavor. No hops there. Bright acidity. Slight tanginess in finish. Surprisingly drinkable. Glad I got to sample this rarer brew.

FOUR THE WIN

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a hazy light brown with a thin head.

S: Smells of pepper and granny smith apple with caramel malt.

T: Pears, apples, melons, pepper and bready malt dominate the palate. What a pleasure.

M: Medium mouthfeel with delicate carbonation.

D: This beer's excellent characteristics justify it's steep price. I'll definitely be celibrating special events with this in the future.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

The first pour was 10 minutes our of the fridge into my dogfish snifter. The beer then sat in my tabletop wine chiller set at 54 degrees

A: Pours a chestnut/gingersnap brown color with a thin layer of white head (my first pour was pretty slow, a second, harder pour produced a thick layer)

S: There is a caramel/burnt sugar smell over a lot of sweet fruit aromas. There is a hint of citrus as well and an undercurrent of alcoholic heat

T: Very complex. There are notes of caramel, citrus, vanilla, and some dried fruits. Also present is a bit of heat from the alcohol in the aftertaste. The finish is just slightly bitter with a dry mineral. As it warms the dried fruit and vanilla tones seem to become more pronounced.

M: A medium body with light carbonation.

D: Well this beer is very enjoyable...but at 10% is not something that can be downed quickly. Overall the 750 bottle took me about 45 minutes to work through...but I enjoyed every sip

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a dark reddish brown into my Unubroue tulip. Small one finger head which disappears quickly. No lacing

Malty sugary smell with some minor hops

Full thick syrupy body with some minor carbonation.

Upon drinking you taste the malt up front, followed by some bitterness then a warming alcohol feeling.

For a 10 ABV the Alcohol is well hidden.

It is a good beer but I don't think I would purchase it again.

Had on draft at the Great Lost Bear in Portland, Maine on May 2, 2010.

Dark brown color, not much head.

Smells super sweet (almost candy sweet) and malty. Taste the same. The heat of the alcohol is clearly there.

Full bodied, highly drinkable. A solid brew.

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

This may be my favorite beer. I've always figured that there's no point in drinking American brewed, Belgian style beers when you could have an authentic Belgian. That all changed when I tried this beast.
I poured this into a small glass that I usually reserve for good Scotch. A dark amber beer that has a nice, off-white head. The beautiful hop aroma gives way to a magnificent taste that has hops and dark fruits dancing with a true Belgium character. The taste just lingers in your mouth and throat all night. This is a beer that truely needs to be experienced to understand. I think I could drink this and nothing else for the rest of my life. Thank you Allagash.

3.74/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Much paler than expected for a Quad and no haze at all. Crisp deep golden reddish-brown. Not much of a head to speak of, though what's there is pale brown/mocha. Considering the style, the visual can't be this beer strong point.

SMELL : First nose is brow sugar, malts, very faint. Second nose opens up the herbal/hop profile and expands on the malty side with some roasted sugar notes. Third nose doesn't go much further. Kind of disappointed with this brew's nose - not that it's bad, it's just so discreet, almost weak, and considering the style, that shouldn't be.

TASTE : Barley sugar, some burnt nuts and mocha. Very thin taste for a Quad. I've had pale Quads before - Gulden Draak 2000, for example - and they weren't so shy in nose and taste. It's very good, simply not at all what I expected given that Allagash advertise this as a Quad.

MOUTHFEEL : Not nearly as thick and rich as I'd wish a Quad to be. Still good, but as far as I'm concerned, definitely not on the style as I understand it. Carbonation is fine.

OVERALL : I'll up the score on this because it's frankly a very good beer - it's just not at all what a Quad should be in my books. I'd have another one of these anyday.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

We were lucky enough to get some of this in our local Bevmo here in Fresno. Looks like we'll be getting the primo Allagash stuff regularly. We had a fair amount of the Curieaux come through and then this. So, I'm happy about that.

Since I already reviewed this on draft. I'll just give a general synopsis about why this was just way better out of the bottle. Everything is basically the same just cranked up. The head was about an inch and a quarter. The hops came through much more out of the bottle, it was definitely present and added more complexity to the scent and taste. The mouthfeel was more of what I expected.

Grab a bottle. If you can afford it, get a few and age them. This seems like a beer that would develop excellently when aged.

3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

Served in world's smallest stemmed wine (taster) glass.

Appearance: Hazy, unfiltered golden-orange. Suspended sediment evident in the glass. Head forms ever-so-slightly off-white and retains a pleasing ring around the edge of the glass. Pleasant lacing is also evident.

Smell: Slight smell of malts and spice (potpourri); slight heat from alcohol? Mild sweetness, of candied-sugars? Not particularly impressive.

Taste: Malty, some spicy notes (possibly from the yeast). Light sweetness but not too invasive. Has a slightly bitter body. Again, a little bit of heat from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, smooth. Finishes with a slightly bitter after taste: a bit more than I had expected.

Overall: A solid beer. Not overly impressive but seems to carry several of the distinct attributes of belgian-style beers. A little more bitter than I would have hoped.

3.67/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a very good quad. It's lighter than my ideal quad, but still has a nice, complex flavor that invites you to sip slowly and think about what you're tasting.

Very good head and I admittedly sipped before smelling so I can't say much about the aroma, except that there was nothing off-putting about it. The color is an opaque red-brown. The bottle style and alcohol level suggests that this beer may be even better aged, though I drank it only a 5 months after the batch date printed on the label.

Definitely try it. :D

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Before I start, I must say this is the first belgian style quad I've ever had, so keep that in mind. Edit: except for Three Philosophers, but I dont find that to be like this at all.
Doesnt have the head normally associated with Belgian style beers...it forms a decent one with the pour, but it quickly fades. Once poured, its an opaque brownish-orange; can not see through it. Seems to me to be very reminiscent of a dubbel. Not as hearty as I would have expected from a quad. The alcohol is masked completely though, even as it warms. Even as its not as hardy as I would expect, I still think it tastes very good...I find it hard to distinguish the flavors as they blend very nicely. The mouthfeel is where this beers fails though. The carbonation is prickly (that term has never been more appropriate), and the beer is lighter then expected. The carbonation issue I find the most troubling. I had no trouble finishing this off in one sitting, but I dont think I'd revisit it. I have a Victory 12 yet to be drank, and I'd like to try some true belgian quads for comparison, but as it stands, I find this good, but underwhelming. Certainly better then their grand cru, which is the only other Allagash I've had at this point, however.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Dennis: I was anxious to try this one, the label alone made me anticipate the beer. Four malts, four hops, four sugars and four yeast strains. If that doesn't get your mouth salivating nothing will ;). The end result of all this work, is a super smooth and deceptively tasty Belgian ale that hides it's 10% alcohol with ease. This beer will go done so easily that one could get themselves in trouble if it was in a six pack (although I'd buy that in a heartbeat).
Jen: This is a very smooth beer. It has a nice dried fruit taste to it (typical of a Belgian Ale), but it isn't sicky sweet. I also get a nice mild maltness to it that is accompanied by a nice yeasty taste. Nothing too overwhelming and easy on your palette, with a very mild alcohol twinge at the end.

3.99/5  rDev -2%

Pours a deep brown and maintains a decent head. Even as i let it sit for a few minutes the head refused to dissapear comlete. No lacing at all..

Aroma is of strong molasses and hidden muted citrus. Even a strong whiff of this isn't overpowering considering it's brewing style.
Initial taste that hits the tastebuds brings back memories of a mild barleywine, but then the flavor gives way to bright fruits. Sour plums and tangy citrus notes poke through the caramel front end of this amazing brew. I was expecting a heavier feel considering it's style, but it's quite light and drinkable. Finishes with malt overtones that eventually leaves very little aftertaste.

Overall a great bear from a brewery that never ceases to surprise.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Shared a 750ml with Adam at Knb on a slow night...

A: Pours a copper color w/ a pillowy tan head

S: Dark fruits, peppery, caramel, some alcohol

T: Caramelized pears, Belgian spices, a little on the hot side

M: M/F body, medium carbonation

D: Not bad, will have to cellar a bottle for a while and see if the heat subsides.

Well I heard mixed reviews from this one....and I was curious...four fermentations?

Well it opened real nice and easy and I noticed that the cork said 2005...score?

It reminded me of a standard quad...a good one at first...then as it warmed up a bit more in the glass...it got even better...I don't know why it was fermented so many times...I though it was good....but not great compared to other quads that I have tried...I would drink this beer again anyday...but...it was not worth the 13 dollars I spent on it...

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

This quadrupel should not be missed. Sampled on draft this past weekend at Milltown. Pours amber-honey with about 1" of head. Initial aromas give off clove, grapes, and nutmeg. Upon sampling this tasty beer, the aromas give way to a light sweetness, and you can't taste the alcohol. It's got a medium mouthfeel, not very heavy, but sweet so it stays with you. Flavor profile expands with each taste and as the beer warms, grapes give way to tart apple. At 10% for my 12 fl oz pour, I was tempted to order another one, as I got through one rather quickly. Yummy.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle purchased at the Charleston Beer Exchange. The appearance of this beer is outstanding. Poured into a tulip glass the beer has a thick creamy persistent head. The color of the beer is a gorgeous reddish orange. The nose is cherries, apples, and a hint of clove. The taste is predominantly a pleasantly sour fruit mostly cherry and apple. The hops are subtle. These are definitely not west coast hops! The 10% ABV is very well hidden, almost no burn. This is a very smooth and mild quad. It is much lighter and not as vinous as a Westvleteren. This beer really tastes like a saison ale to me. The only negative is a slightly thin body and mouthfeel. However, at 750 ml, you better share this one! I highly recommend this complex beer. I will drink it again.

Allagash Four from Allagash Brewing Company