Allagash Four | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.

Added by UnionMade on 03-26-2004

Reviews: 461 | Ratings: 992
4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Had this on cask at Rustico's Glassware Giveaway (served after they ran out of Black). I've really been enjoying Belgians lately, and this was certainly no exception. It was a hazy dark amber with some light tan head. It smelled a bit faint, but like creamy Belgian yeast and mulling spices and toffee. Delicious. It tasted similar to the smell, but bolder and with a lot of nuances and complexities that I'm sure I missed (split this pint with a friend, and had already had a couple pints before). My main thought was how surprisingly similar this tasted to St. Bernardus, which is one of my all-time favorites. However, the key difference was the body and feel. Despite Four being on cask, St. Bernardus from a bottle somehow manages to be much smoother and silkier. Four was a little thin and flat. I'd probably normally give the mouthfeel a 4, but considering it was on cask, I had to dock it a half point for not living up to my hopes/expectations. Otherwise, this was a very enjoyable beer. Great to sip and contemplate, but all to easy to gulp.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Batch 16, from notes. Finally getting around to reviewing this one.

Hazy, deep amber, but golden/orange when backlit. Light tan foam stays a while then leaves thick lacing early on. It is active, and lots of suspended yeast is visible when backlit.

Sweet malty, dark fruity, Belgian yeasty, and a bit of spice right out of the gate. Boozy esters and subtle floral hops emerge later. Maybe just a bit too hot for a 5...

Follows the nose. Rich sweet malty base blending with dark fruit and Belgian yeasty flavor is the platform upon which the more subtle elements are layered. Mellow alcohol, barely perceptible floral hops and a mile bitterness. Wicked smooth and tasty.

Plenty if not over carbonated. Rich, full, smooth, and clean. A bit of very mild bitterness, and a dryness in the finish that I hadn't yet noticed.

Rich, smooth, complex, and balanced. A deluxe, exquisite treat.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Beautifully hazy. I could stare at this for hours if it weren't a beer I love.

A lot lighter than I thought, some interesting aromas going on here. Very enticing.

Sweet but alcoholic. This is a great tasting Quad. Strong, but not overbearing. Maltiness is wonderful.

Lots going on but this one finishes better than any beer I have had more than once or twice. It's hard to describe. Each sip offers another suprise. So very tasty, this one had me buzzed before I could realize it.

This one is a must have. My local bottle shop has it regularly and I get a bottle probably once every two or three months. One of my favorite beers.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

A- Not quite dark enough ruby color, more bronze but a beautiful head that just will not quit.

S- I was expecting more but the smell was weaker, still had candied malt and spicy hops coming through.

T- Well this sealed the deal, this is f-ing great. Deep complex malt bill of various sweet malt flavor tinged with alcohol and the hops a perfect company through the changing malt flavors.

M- A great mouthfeel, full a deep the alcohol makes this one stand up.

Overall this was a terrific beer and a real pleasent sipper and something to be shared or horded depending on company.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

November 21st, 2012 bottling date.

A: into a tulip, amber brown body with just the slightest haze, two-finger head, beige; modest lace, good retention - a frothy-rimmed film remained throughout

S: lots of malty aromas - some musky, some semi-sweet - and lots of fragrant hoppy and yeasty scents, from floral to herbal

T: very complex - very suggestive of an aged old ale or barleywine - sweetness comes in the form of candied fruits and malt, but there are drying overtones reminiscent of barrel aging; less sweet than most quads I've had - a lot of hop bitterness and yeasty brightness

M: drying, crisp, slight tartness on the tip, some smooth coating; carbonation adds briskness to a smooth drinking beer; lighter body and feel than most quads I've had - the whiskey-ish drying seemed to offset any weight I might have felt in another quad

O: add this to my list of Allagash awesomeness - my review numbers may be a little misleading if you're thinking typical quad - this is an atypical quad (IMO) - my impression of the beer was that it tasted as much like an English old ale or strong ale as much as a "traditional" quad (such a St. Bernardus or a Pannepot). I loved the flavor and feel, very complex and elegant. Very classy drinking.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a hazy light brown with a thin head.

S: Smells of pepper and granny smith apple with caramel malt.

T: Pears, apples, melons, pepper and bready malt dominate the palate. What a pleasure.

M: Medium mouthfeel with delicate carbonation.

D: This beer's excellent characteristics justify it's steep price. I'll definitely be celibrating special events with this in the future.

4.51/5  rDev +10.8%

750 ml bottle. Cork popped out so easily for as 750 that I nearly threw the bottle to the ground since I was expecting more of a fight.
Pours a hazy mahogany (could be from the yeast though). A nice tan head follows (while there is no need for a hard pour on this one, the lacing still is somewhat lacking, one of the few downpoints of this beer).
Smell is unique. Plums are a major character of the aroma, along with alcohol, and a small amount of hop spice (not a whole lot of citrus in this one). One weird thing I noticed is that I kept smelling bubblegum. Nevertheless, it was nice.
This is a great tasting brew. the 4 malts, 4 hops, and 4 fermentations created a very interesting combination of tastes. Plums, pears, dark malts (bready, caramel, a little biscuity), and alcohol (which is to be expected of a quad). This is very port like in flavor and very sweet.
I will definitely have this beer again. I tried one as soon as it came out and bought another to cellar for a while to see how the taste changes over time. A fine beer and one that I would highly recomment.

Note: the reason that drinkability is not a 5 is the abv. I have a hard time downing a lot of a 10% abv brew. One bottle is fine, more than that would be pushing it. Although, if it weren't for the alcohol content, I could easily drink this one all night.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Brooding bloodied peach, obsured with haze and sporting a plump buttery spume.
Fragranced of cherry skin, green raisin, chalkboards, and balsawood.
Fruit hues settle into a deep caramel bath. Pineapple, tangerine, peach, apricot, raisin, black cherry, and flourescent orange peel. Spiciness carries corriander and pepper, with a fume blanc vinic fruitness. This is verily a fruit punch spiked, and touting a gooey caramel base. The conclusion is rocky, slate-like, with a rasp of astringency and a swaying long grass notation.
Big bodied, but floating on a mat of perky and dainty CO2.
Another score for 'Gash. This is very nice.
Thanks for babysitting this for me, Huge.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet. Pours a almost raspberry lambic color. Red and cloudy. No real head. Not alot of lacing.

Smells to me like a lindmans framboise mixed with an Abt 12. Not a super strong smell but that's what it smells like.

Tastes awesome. No raspberry like the smell would suggest. Very much like a good quad. Tastes like sort of like a tripel is mixed in too though.

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style. No complaints.

Drinkability is high. This is the second time I had this brew and I bought it this time just to review it because I knew I liked it. Kind of expensive though.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a couple of chalices it produced a good two fingers of a off white head that turned into a great lace. The body of the brew was amber/brown in color. The aromas of dark fruits and cherries along with some Belgian yeast filled my head.

The flavor followed the nose, fruity and yeasty. I did detect a little alcohol warmth as well, but it did not detract anything from the flavor. It had a medium to full feel to its body, with good carbonation.

For a quad I will say that it was tasty enough to grab a second glass. The flavor was more than enough to accompany a fine cigar for desert. I often grab this brew when I am in the mood for a fine American Quad. I believe this one is the finest brewed on this side of the pond

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

A- About a inch thick light tan head on a clear deep ruby body. Lacing stays around for a while covering the top of the beer.
S- Big cloves, spices, alcohol, esters, rich dark fruits, grassy hops, and one or two others that I can't pin point. The aroma reminds me of a St. Bernardus 12.
T- Alcohol storms through on tongue and then warms throat a lot. It's not very well covered at all. Big esters come through just as strong along with sweet caramel (light toffee) malts, hints of raisins, plums, and other dark fruits, spices come out pretty nicley. There are some grass hops in here that leave a medium bitterness on the tongue (though you don't get much of a hop flavor). Very big and nicely balanced brew.
M- Medium body with medium/low carbonation.
D- I think it is a great Quad. I think St. Bernys 12 is better though and especially for the price difference. Good beer but you can get better for a lot cheaper.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Shimmering scarlet red hue. Thick crop of whipped white foam on top. Retention is outstanding. Fine beads of carbonation rise quite aggressively.

Aroma: Candy, must, yeast and cookie dough. Grapes and plums. And slight pepper tones.

Taste: Spicy taste to this. Though I don't think a lot of spices were used if any, I can perceive ginger, corriander, black pepper and nutmeg. All blended nicely. The malts are soft and biscuity. The yeastiness is doughy.

Mouthfeel: Light and airy. Medium body.

Drinkability: Alcohol is nowhere to be seen. This is nicely put together and quite drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours beutiful crimson-mahogany. Head is monstrous due to generous carbonation. Plenty of yeasty floaties.

Smell is rich and complex. Dark fruit, sweet caramel malt, and alcohol take center stage. Then comes a musty, yeasty spiciness. Very little hop character.

Taste is once again quite complex. Maltiness is excellent up front, along with toffee, bready yeast, and candied dark fruit.Finish is slightly bitter and spicy with pepper, corriander, and nutmeg. definite alcohol presence to give a rum like feel. Aftertaste lingers with spices and cherry.

Mouthfeel is amazingly soft and fluffy.

Very bold with the fruit and spices. Maltiness is interesting. This is a complex and enjoyable brew.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Poured a beautiful slightly cloudy ruby orange brown color with a finger thing head creamy head. The head retains pretty well and leaves a sheet of lacing as it is consumed.

S: Belgian candy sugar with a slight alcohol aroma mixed with a hint of Belgian yeast. It smells fantastic.

T: Excellent slightly sweet malty initial flavor. The ABV is excellently hidden which surprised me a bit since I could smell the alcohol. Dark fruit flavors really complement the sweet malty taste. This is the best Belgian style quad I have had that is not made in Belgium.

M: Creamy thick mouthfeel from the carbonation. The alcohol warmth comes through just a bit when rolled on the tongue.

D: For a 10% ABV this one is amazingly drinkable. I could see myself drinking this way too fast if I didn't know it was so powerful.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from bottle into my Duvel tulip.

No head on an aggressive pour. Awesome Belgian nose on this guy. Yeasty fruit aromas, excellent nose. Minimal lacing on the glass. Taste is mildly complex, lots going on. Mild carbonation, good balance. Very tasty beer. Pissed that I shared it with a friend. :) Picked it up in El Segundo California. Worth the enjoyment.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours dark orange with a two finger off white head, with very good retention and lacing. The aroma has candi sugar, toffee, dark fruit, apples, and pears.

Tastes almost exactly like it smells. There is also a slight pepper taste. Tastes sweet, without being overly sweet. It is surprising that there is no taste or smell of alcohol for this 10.00 % abv beer. Very well made.

Medium bodied with proper carbonation for the style. Another great Allagash beer. If I have a chance, I will buy this again.

4.49/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a cloudy red color. There is no head to speak of. The aroma is dates, star anise, cardamom, and a soft sweet maltiness. It is a very delicate aroma for such a large beer, but it works. The taste is more powerful than the aroma, but just as complex. There is an abundance of spices, and malt. Nothing really stands out, and that is was stands out in this beer. If I think about tasting a certain aspect of taste, then take a sip, I taste that aspect. If I think about another, the same thing happens. This really is a well balanced beer. The mouthfeel is of the smoothest silk imaginable. The carbonation is light and fine. Overall, this is a very nice beer. I'm not sure if I'd call it the best Quad I've yet tasted, but it is up there.

4.48/5  rDev +10.1%

From Batch 25. sampled on August 5, 2012. For my 1,000 review on Beer Advocate I have chosen a Quad that pours rich amber, garnet with red hues and a substantial, puffy mocha head that sits on top like the foam from a milk shake.

The aromas are vibrant with dark malts, Belgian candied sugar, dark dried fruits, butter, and a low hop profile.

The body is medium to bold with a slight acidic quality and otherwise smooth on the tongue.

Sweet malts appear at first in the taste with a higher than expected bitterness that gives off a boozy character which kicks in more prominently, tears into my sinuses, and opens the passageway. Yet it mellows almost as quickly as it explodes leaving a dryer, lingering finale in its wake.

4.48/5  rDev +10.1%

On tap at the Lazy Boy in White Plains.

A: Poured a super deep brown color. Just about the perfect looking quad. Barely had any head when it was brought to me and after about a minute it was all gone.

S: Nice dark fruit nose on this. The different yeasts and barley and hops make for a super dense nose. Too much to really pin down and isolate individual smells.

T: Dark fruit and yeast. Back and forth. Hints of plums and dates. Caramel and malt. Some spiciness and weird blasts of hops. Not in a hop bomb way though.

M: Nice thick body on this beer. The carbonation was low.

D: Really nice. Had this after a Dogfish 120 so anything is easy drinking after that. One of the better Quads I have had not made in Belgium. Glad I got to try this but I can never bring myself to plop down the 18 bucks to buy a bottle as there is too much good stuff out there for less.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance – This one poured a dirty brown in color with an off-white, almost tan head that came up easily.

Smell –This is probably one of the spiciest beers I’ve ever had. The clove just jumps in your face along with the white pepper, oregano, allspice, and a horde of others that I’ve probably failed to identify.

The base is a nice mix of yeast and darkish malts. Though I can’t pick up much of a hop aroma, this is one of the most complex noses that I’ve ever smelled.

Taste – No, I can’t name all of the four malts and can’t find one of the four hops. This is classic bready yeast, buttered toast, giant sugars, rich toffee, a touch of dark chocolate, and handfuls of spicy cloves all rolled into one beer. Amazing.

Mouthfeel – This is one of the few American breweries to nail down the fluffy Belgian mouthfeel. I remember their Grand Cru hitting the mark in this category as well. It is teasingly fluffy with a juicy, mouth-watering sugariness that keeps your tongue and cheeks busy. The big clumps of pepper and clove make this one chalky and even a bit dry at the finish.

Drinkability – I enjoy bold, forward-looking efforts by American breweries. Belgians are big ticket items, and if an American brewery can nail down the style (like Unibroue does in Canada) there’s a lot of money to be made. This one certainly hits the mark and is well on its way to becoming a great beer from a great brewery.

Comments – Thanks to my good friend skyhand for providing me with this rare and exotic beer from Maine that I humbly submit as my 900th review on the site.

Update – Well, a little over a year and 482 reviews later I am fortunate enough to have another. It hasn’t changed a bit.

I was able to pick up more hops this time around (maybe it’s fresher) but this is still a malt-oriented beer as the style requires. It is very spicy indeed and really demands your full attention. What a great effort from Allagash!

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a rich, mahogany-reddish color with a small, off-white head that doesn't leave too much lace nor does it hang around for very long. I didn't expect it to. The first smell I get is sugar, and lots of it. Dark, tart fruits and possibly some oak come next. The taste is similar but it places the emphasis in different areas. Dark fruits, yeast, and rich, earthy tones dominate with dark, candy-like sugar coming through as well. There is definitely a sour character from. This beer is absolutely awesome...i think it's so far my favorite Allagash I have had to date. I'm guessing a buttery-fatty, grilled food would go well with it...something with a caramelized (but not burnt) characteristic.

Incredible.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured slowly into a Chimay chalice. The beer is massively carbonated and forms a small head that persists forever. The beer is a gorgeous color. Overall it is a light brownish color, but along the bottom edges of the glass, where light penetrates more easily, there are distinct ruby hues. The beer is quite cloudy, and leaves light lacing on the walls of the glass.

S - Faint, but distinct. The aroma is as indicated in the notes. Dark fruit with a hint of Belgian yeast.

T - The flavors all combine quite well, with neither really taking the lead (although the yeast is closest). The sweetness and bitterness are both very mild, and the flavors are excellent

M - Initially a bit too carbonated, but as the beer warms and the carbonation subsides a bit this becomes a real treat. The carbonation softens and the finish is dry, but again, not overpowering.

O - This is a wonderful example of a full range of subtleties that combine to make an incredibly enjoyable beer. Highly recommend, especially for those who don't need to be smacked in the mouth in order to enjoy a beer.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into Chimay chalice, a nice musty reddish amber. The head dissipates at medium speed and lingers on surface, its sustained by tiny bubbles and leaves little lacing, At first sniff smells almost like that strawberry Nesquick, predominately sweet malts, with minimal, yet supportive hop character. There are hints of strawberry, vanilla, light fruity esters and maybe even minor touches of berry and apple. If the smell doesn’t get you the flavor will. The flavor is excellent, enticing and welcoming, the sweet malts are balanced masterfully, with just the right amount of hoppy bitterness. The spectacular malts are definitely the showcase of this beer, along with their excellent fruity esters. I could drink this stuff like crazy, if it wasn’t 10 ABV, which is hidden ridiculously well. How ever to most this beer does not have the marks of what you'd look for in a killer quad, lacking body, head and what have you, but I still find it to be a fun version of a one. Some of the sents and flavors might at moments seem synthetic, which I acknowledge, but for me they turn out in a tasty way that works well. I mean this beer even has great quenching capability, but to quench your thirst with this is to feel it’s strength. Every thing about this beer screams drink me and then buy another bottle so you can show your friends, but drink me. This is a fabulous beer, and a great concept, there is no question I will buy this again.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Another nice corked and caged 750.

Appearance: Hazy light brown with thin head at first, but it doesnt stick around long. It got some legs as you go.

Smell: Wow. Spicy, bready, and sweet. Lots of dark, raisiny fruit.

Taste: Very spicy upfront. All that nice fruit and bread in the middle, then booze running down your throat and warming your belly. The spiciness is almost peppery and balances all the thick sweetness to keep it from being cloying. Just delicious.

Mouthfeel: You almost never want to swallow this stuff. Such a full mouthfeel with nice carbonation. Lively. Its almost sticky in the way that the delicious flavor lingers.

Drinkability: This stuff is fantastic. If I was I nice guy, I would share it with someone, but I'm going to drink it all myself. It dont come cheap though-- I think my bottle was $14. You can get a world class Belgian quad for that, but this is almost as good, and made in the USA.

Just finished another bottle 9/1/10. I agree with my previous rating. Excellent beer. Plan to buy another for the cellar.

Allagash Four
750 mL corked and caged

Poured into a snifter. Four pours a rich amber/mahogany, with a solid white head with good retention. Very nice lacing as well. Aromas are of fall fruits, apples, pears, figs, and some golden raisins, as well as winter spices. Tastes match these aromas perfectly, very fruity mixed with clove and nutmeg, sweet and wonderful. Mouthfeel is smooth, not too heavy for a quad, and just outstanding. I could drink this forever, almost like I did when I toured the brewery and they had the FOUR w/ strawberries...try drinking that at 9:30 am..it was great.

Allagash Four from Allagash Brewing Company