Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Allagash Four | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.

Added by UnionMade on 03-26-2004

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

Presentation-The bottle is really simple but at the same time really nice. I like how at the neck it almost has a "bomber" style look to it.

Appearence-A really nice bright, cloudy copper look. Almost between a red and gold combined. Just nice.

Smell-Lots of great malts for sure. You dont get too strong of a hop presence even though it does have four different types of malts. IDK how they were able to subdue it. A candy sweet smell thats soft and light.

Taste-At first you do notice that this quadruple is quite sweet. But its really really nice. Not too strong and just right. Malts are really mellow, alcohol is present. Almost some kind of belgian candy mix.

Mouthfeel-Suble carbonation, nothing overpowering. Settles nicely on the palate and draws and finishes very well. I would say wet. Very lively has a lot of feel to it.

Overall-IDK why but this is one of my favorite beers. I freaken love it. Just a nice beer to drink and enjoy. So good.

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

A quadruple brewed with 4 malts, 4 hops, fermented 4 times, released 4/4/04...you get the theme.

"Brewed with four malts, four hops, four sugars and four Belgian yeast strains. During the mashing process, we add Date Sugar to the mash tun. Later, during the boil, we add Light Candi, Dark Candi, and Light Golden Molasses. After primary fermentation with the first strain of yeast, we add more Candi Sugar, and referment the beer with a secondary strain of yeast... that process is then repeated with a third strain of yeast, and finally a fourth for bottle conditioning in the cellar."

Pours out to a murky deep caramel amber, forming a tall soapy and dense light tan to dark beige head with excellent retention and solid sheets of lacing, thanks it part to it's vigorous carbonation (which blew the cork out of the bottle like champagne). The aroma is heavenly, like Maudite or La Fin du Monde with that distinctive fruity and spicy dryness that "The Yeast Strain" imparts, especially in higher gravity brews like this. Tart red apples, cloves, basement dust, swirling pulls out some lacto and brett...man, it's tough to pick up on all that's going here, needless to say it's intoxicating. Mouthfeel is light and airy, pillowy smooth, vibrant, alive...this stuff is kicking. Deceptively medium bodied. Taste...wowza. Starts spicy with lots of clove and phenolic esters, then blends harmoniously into this perfect sweet/tart mix of Belgian Funk and sticky malts. The bitterness is spicy and floral and perfectly balanced with the malts. Peppery flourishes wisp upon the tongue alerting you to it's strength but never becoming obtrusive or detracting from the brew. A slightly toasted graininess hangs on the back of your tongue in the finish. Expertly fermented, especially considering the complexity and depth of this brew.

What can I say..I don't use the words "perfect", "expert", "heavenly", or "intoxicating" too often in my reviews, but this one has it all. What a fucking awesome creation. Props to Rob Tod and the crew for such a divine creation. Give those boys a Gold Star. I will now have to reshuffle my Top-Ten list, damnit.

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

This may be my favorite beer. I've always figured that there's no point in drinking American brewed, Belgian style beers when you could have an authentic Belgian. That all changed when I tried this beast.
I poured this into a small glass that I usually reserve for good Scotch. A dark amber beer that has a nice, off-white head. The beautiful hop aroma gives way to a magnificent taste that has hops and dark fruits dancing with a true Belgium character. The taste just lingers in your mouth and throat all night. This is a beer that truely needs to be experienced to understand. I think I could drink this and nothing else for the rest of my life. Thank you Allagash.

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

We were lucky enough to get some of this in our local Bevmo here in Fresno. Looks like we'll be getting the primo Allagash stuff regularly. We had a fair amount of the Curieaux come through and then this. So, I'm happy about that.

Since I already reviewed this on draft. I'll just give a general synopsis about why this was just way better out of the bottle. Everything is basically the same just cranked up. The head was about an inch and a quarter. The hops came through much more out of the bottle, it was definitely present and added more complexity to the scent and taste. The mouthfeel was more of what I expected.

Grab a bottle. If you can afford it, get a few and age them. This seems like a beer that would develop excellently when aged.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Another outstanding beer from Allagash. Rapidly becoming one of my fav brewers. I've been holding onto a bunch of these for months. I just couldn't bring my self to open open (if I drink one I'll only have 5 left). Finally broke down and drank one for Thanksgiving Eve; had to rationalize it). Anyway, aroma was great. Even though there are four malts in this, I really didn't notice it or the hops. What I really noticed was the cherry and ruby port. Head was creamy, light-brown, excellent lacing, that mostly diminished. Color was dark amber. Heavy sweet initial flavor that lessens. Definitely can taste the malt now. Finish was very long. The body was not as full as some quads. Texture was syrupy and flat with incredibly little if any alcohol finish. One of my favorite quads. It was very smooth without too much cherry, like Three Phils. Very interested to see how this matures. Now only if Allagash would distribute to Georgia.

4.84/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Quadruple delicious. Love this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

For this beer, you need to drink in the correct cup. I chose a snifter so I can get the full aroma of this highly potent beer.

The Beer gives a pre-warning color to the sophistication of this beer. In a pint glass, dark golden column surrounded by a medium gold or copper "jacket." When in a goblet, Dark molasses brown.

Like most Belgium ales, the smell gives you a misleading hint of light and soft cindery apple and pear.

Once you take the sip you realize the drink is not soft and light and DEFINITELY not a cider! Once the ale hits your lips, there is an explosion of deep rich flavors as dark as the color in the snifter immediately powers in your mouth.

The mouth feel is definitely one of strong but drinkable ale. The consistency of the ale falls in the middle of both thick and light. This holds a medium body, which proves to be a great platform to display all this layered flavor from the ale.

It is very hard to compare different types of beers, but of all the ales that I have had, this is the best one to date. The flavor and balance is top notch. It is a shame how hard to find this beer is.

Cheers Beer Enthusiasts!

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Allagash Four from Allagash Brewing Company