Allagash Four | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.

Added by UnionMade on 03-26-2004

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Light brown in color with a thin, fuzzy white head. Soft, yeasty aroma of dark, alcohol-soaked fruits and bready, distinctly Belgian yeast element.

Mmmm...sooo drinkable for its alcohol content. Explosion of the same elements in the aroma across the tongue, with a slick, alcoholic finish. Unbelievably drinkable, with great mouthfeel.

I'm in love.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Beer: Allagash Four
Brewer: Allagash Brewing Company. Maine, United States
Style: Belgian Quadrupel (QUAD)
ABV: 10%

Beer Advocate: Jay Avery
Rating: A+

Allagash four was recommended to me from my buddy Scot Wood. The only other Allagash brew I've tried was the white and for a Belgian white, it's up there in my top 5. As far as this one goes, it is a really BIG BEER. The Allagash Four Belgian QUAD contains 4 malts, 4 hops, fermented 4 times with 4 types of yeasts and 4 different sugars. It's about as complex as it gets. Here's my review...

Presentation:
Reviewed 02/24/2011 750ml Bottle corked and caged Batch # 21. Aged 9 months poured into an Affligem Goblet. Stored in my fridge at 37 degrees, I took the bottle out and let is stand for 20 minutes. I gave it a slow pour then let it stand for another 5 mins. I'm pretty close to 50 degrees at the first sip and it only gets better and more flavorful as it warms.

Appearance:
This one pours a thick amber caramel bronze color with a thin, soapy cappuccino head. Lacing quickly dissipates and the head retention is mediocre at best.

Smell:
Immediately I get an earthy spiced oak barrel nose with fruity esters and a hint of molasses with a bit of sour cherry supplication.

Mouthfeel:
Soft but full bodied almost chewy with a tingle from the carbonation on the backend that lingers on your lips just a bit after each sip. This one is a lot creamier than I expected and thick thru and thru.

Taste:
To say this beer is complex is the tip of the iceberg. No apparent hoppines for me but rich, thick and bready fruitcake with a plum body up front. I get some midrange heat from the 10% abv then it I'm hit with a sugary caramelized malty finish. This one is super Intense, I can truly appreciate the amount of work it took to bring this brew to life!

Drinkability:
A definite beast of a beer and still it does a much better job at masking the alcohol content than a lot of 10's out there, I compare this one to a Trappistes Rochefort 10, only smoother and without the phenolic bite. Dangerously drinkable! I've finished 25cl so far and as I wrap up this review, I'm already too impaired to go grab another bottle. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get more. An awesome quad that stands up in its class to the likes of St. Bernardus 12 and the rest of the 1st class Belgian Quads! If you're into Belgian Stong Darks/Quads and the spicy complexity that comes along with 'em, this is a must try brew! I give it an A+

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a ruddy dark brown color with a gorgeous head that goes nowhere. As soon as the cork was popped, the aroma was very evident. Especially as I poured the beer into my Duvel glass. Strong aromas of dark fruits, candied apples, pears, grapes, candy sugar, belgian yeast..quite complex and very luxurious bouquet. Taste is of more fruitiness, pears, green and red apples, figs, candied malts, hops, phenols, you name it, its here...good job masking the alcohol bite. Warming going down. Mouthfeel is heavy, carbonated, on the dry side. Tremendous beer and the 750ml didn't last very long at all. Although it is a sipper, you keep wanting to take sip after sip after sip because it is so great. I love this beer. It's just as good as I remember it to be.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Spicy, yeasty, fruity nose, large pitted fruits with a hint of pineapple
Hazy orange tinted dark amber under a moussey, very fine bubbled 2" off white head that slowly descends to a thick film that produces thick lace.
Layers of big malt flavors including touches of caramel, maple, malty spice, biscuit to fruit bread, give way to yeast driven large pitted fruits, hints of tropical fruits to finish with hop spice and balancing bitterness. The malt, yeast, hop and alcohol flavors are very well balanced.
Medium body with creamy, very fine carbonation and a slight alcohol warming.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Special thanks are in order for wagenvolks for sending me this brew in a trade.

The appearance is a brew that is a tawney/garnett color with a light biege foamy head that features exceptional retention and good lacing.

The smell is very 'belgian-esque'. Yeasty, spicy and tons of sugar sweetness and dark fruits.

The taste is a symphony of flavors ranging from sweet to spicy and even a bit of tartness and kiss of alcohol warmth. very sweet and complex, absolutely delcious.

The feel this medium bodied brew is super silky and has soft but highly fizzy carbonation. I could go for a bit fuller of a body, but overall pretty good feel.

One of my favorite styles and this is one of the premier examples. Excellent cap to my night.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Had on tap at Great Lost Bear. Its actually fairly hazy in the glass, a big turn on for me. This beer actually blew my mind. It is absolutely one of the best I have ever had the privilege of drinking. Fairly sweet, but with a cutting edge that managed to quickly dispel any and all other flavors. Smooth, yet not overpowering, the alcohol is really well masked here. Definitely a beer worth buying again.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

750ml Corked Batch #1 I believe Pours a beautiful amber which is cloudy and with a fiery orange hue and a thick dense and frothy head. Head settles down a bit but retains well. Fantastic aroma, sugary, malty with notes of cherries, yeast and spices like pepper and clove. Wonderful. The mouthfeel is creamy, full and smooth with a delicate feel and a lively carbonation. The flavor is also one to desire. A sugary, malty spicy treat that has a faint and enjoyable hop presence which lends a slight grassy note. Not as complex or deep a flavor as some Belgian Quads we all are familiar with but I wasn't expecting that either. This is an American brew. Maybe with time it will mature a bit but it's wonderful right now in my opinion. An incredibly enjoyable flavor. This one's a winner folks. The best Allagash has brewed in my humble opinion. Way to go guys!

4.64/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

The elegant bottle reveals little information other than it has 4 malts, 4 hops, and 4 fermentations. Released on 04-04-04, according to lore. Corked and caged when I brought it up from the cellar. After removing the cage, a nimble twist of the fingers produced a "Pop", as the cork easily flew away, and a brief haze of "smoke" arose from the bottle. Poured slightly chilled into my St Bernardus goblet, we have a fascinating, ruby body with a nice looking, beige head. The magnificent body is complimented by wondrous sheets of lace, all over the goblet. This ale has a superior appearance.

Aroma is incredibly complex. Overripe bananas, cotton candy, raisins, cloves, allspice, and a hint of orange peel.

Mouthfeel is above average. Dry, spicy, medium bodied, with ample carbonation.

The taste is exceptional. Allspice opens the door for an experience that should be legal only in the afterworld. Honeydew and cantelope melon, cotton candy, doughy malt, alcohol warming, ginger, clove, mandarin orange, and a freshly washed wool sweater, converge on the senses. The flavors are at their best at room temperature. Finish is slightly dry, with an orange rind aftertate.

Allagash has made a believer out of me. This Quadrupel matches most of the top Belgians I've had, and exceeds many others. I plan a pilgrimage to Maine, next month to tour this brewery, and attempt to learn how they can craft such a fine Belgian style Quad. Exceptional!

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Bought this a couple months ago at WholeFoods in Raleigh, NC, thinking I would let it age a year or two. Didn't happen. Couldn't resist.

Appears in the Moinette goblet with a superbly creamy head; not huge but it sticks around for the entire session. Lace sticks and webs its way around the goblet, and the color is a gorgeous dark copper-ruby that utterly glows when held up to light.

Aroma is quite fruity, strawberries and raspberries especially coming through, enhanced with the dirtying influence of yeast, and just a kiss of chocolate way back there. I'm surprised to be reminded of Avery's Kaiser here.

My first impression of the flavor isn't the flavor, but the mouthfeel. This is an element of reviewing I've never quite been comfortable with, as I can't often find a whole lot to say about how a beer "feels". I have a lot to learn there. And the flavor usually takes most of my attention. But Allagash Four feels like sex. Velvety smooth, a buttery layer coating the mouth, just enough sizzle to keep an edge on things. It also hangs in the mouth big and fluffy, and after a time a dryness comes along, begging you to take another sip.

Oh right, the flavor. Also amazing. A chocolate milk-like sweetness prevails, wrapped around incredibly succulent berry flavors; vanilla; unsugared cookie dough; It avoids being too sweet, and also avoids being too obvious. The four malts and four hops have evolved into something entirely different than what they were at their starting points. All this, and the 10% alcohol hangs back, only offering a pleasant warming glow. Super.

Ohmygodd...despite a 10% ABV, this is an extremely drinkable beer, enjoyable to the last drop, not too light or heavy, ridiculously flavorful, looks and feels amazing. Would be great at a beer bar with friends, as accompaniment to a cookout, or just by yourself in a contemplative, restful mood. Can't remember what I paid for it, and I don't care...I'll pay whatever they're asking to get more. Fantastic.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: It has a deep honey color and a thick head like a good quad should.
Smell: Overwelming hop and malt tones, as well as alcohol.
Taste: Wow! Where to start? My first impression was big hops amd big malt flavors, but it quickly turns to apple and fig-like flavors. Finish it all up with a warm shot of alcohol, and you've got yourself a fine brew indeed.
Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy.
Drinkability: Special occasions only, but one of the most drinkable in it's class.

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%

I ran across a couple of these in a trip to MA the other weekend. Had one of these when they first came out but not since. Had no choice but to pick up a couple and try it again.

Pours a deep golden amber. Nice carbonation with a steady white head

The smell is intoxicating. Belgium candy sugar and a touch of fruit in the aroma. Some hops aroma in the background, but not overpowering in any way despite being described as 4 hops used on the bottle.

This is a nice medium bodied quadrupple. Wonderful flavor. Caramel, candi sugar, citrus, banana, oak, vanilla. The taste swirls around the mouth and makes you want to come back for more. This beer is lightly sweet, not cloying or syrupy in any way. My next trip up to Portland ME will conclude with a case or two of this coming home with me for the beer cellar to enjoy for quite some time! Highly recommended

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, I am finally cracking my bottle of this stuff tonight, I've had it in the fridge for about 2 months now and just havent gotten around to trying it.

A - Poured a clearish brown/reddish tinge into my goblet with a forthy 1 inch head that stuck around for quite awhile.

S - Smells simply great, not at all what I was expecting, smells of banana, canteloupe, with a small hint of dark sugars in the back. One of the best beers I have ever smelled.

T - Taste is yeasty, fruity with a hint of alcohol towards the end. The taste is quite complex, I am getting 4 different levels of taste out of this which is fitting since its name is FOUR. Starts with fruit, moves to yeastiness, then on to some dark sugary flavors, then finally a nice alcohol burn to warm you up at the end.

M - Starts out kind of light and fluffy and as the tastes progress so does the mouthfeel into an almost syrupy finish. Leaves a nice clean palette for the next sip too so u get to experience the tastes over and over.

D - I would have given this a 5 if it wasnt so spendy per bottle, but overall the best Quadruple I have tried to date. Amazingly complex. Well worth what I paid. Now to finish this bottle and tomorrow try and track down another!

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a 750 ml caged and corked bottle into a challis.

A: It poured a deep amber brown with a slight beige head and modest to non-existent

S: There was the strong presence dark malts (some roasted, some burnt, others light ans sweet), spices including pepper and nutmeg, and dark fruits (figs and plums). This is a complex beer with a bright bold aroma.

T: It has the flavor of English toffee, a hint of dark chocolate, and a dash of spices including white pepper and allspice.

M: Medium to full-body with a creamy smooth as silk demeanor. No matter how much I wanted to retain it in my mouth so I could enjoy the rich flavors it seemed to demand to be swallowed. It has a bit of warm alcohol finish but there is no residual bitterness or alcohol burn. Smooth and creamy.

D: I enjoy this great American take on a classic Belgium. It’s a bit thin from my taste but all of the other ingredients are there for a wonderful beer that I intend to keep stocked whenever possible.

Comments – I am a fan of the excellent brewery that spawned this fine beer. I gladly pay a premium so I can enjoy the consistent quality that each beer from Maine exhibits. The Four was no exception. I’ll continue to reach for it whenever it presents itself this far way from home.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a medium-dark brown with a huge, fluffy white head. The beer is a little hazy and is not see-through. A great looking beer.

Smell is dark fruits, lots of raisins and some Belgian yeast.

The taste has some dark fruits, as well as some caramel malt and some sweetness which I guess is from the candi sugar. I don't get any alcohol in the flavor. It can't be easy to hide all the alcohol flavor and aroma in a 10 percent beer, but Allagash has pulled it off. The beer does give you a warming sensation in your chest, absolutely wonderful.

As large as the head was, the beer is not that carbonated which I really appreciate. The beer is not that thick in the mouthfeel, making it easy to drink. At 10 percent, this is very drinkable and could be dangerous since you can't taste any of the alcohol. A great beer.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Murky brass/bronze color with a full pillowy beige head, very active slow tiny bubbled carbonation, and solid sheets of lace. Nice big fruity apple-like aroma and flavor with lots of spicy phenols and alcohol. Lots of raisin character comes out as it warms up. Full-medium bodied with a bit of airiness due to the carbonation levels.

Kind of between a dubbel and a quad but not quite a tripel ... :-) Yummy though !!

Per bottle: "4 Malts, 4 Hops, Fermented 4 Times"

Per ABC website: OG 1090
4 malts, 4 hops, 4 sugars and 4 Belgian yeast strains. Date Sugar, Light Candi, Dark Candi, and Light Golden Molasses.

(25.4 oz / 750 ml tall straight brown lithographed wine-like bottle, corked and caged)

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours out in a amber, copper brown color with a nice lacey head.

The aroma has tons of stuff happening. There’s cherry, caramel, a nuttiness, spice, tons of dried dark fruit, but then there’s a really nice pop of cherry or sour berry in the back. The aroma on this is killer.

The flavor follows with a huge pop of cherry, bready Belgian yeast qualities, but also darker fruits like figs, dates, and raisin. There’s also a candy caramel sweetness. The hops don’t really come through except for that good bitterness on the back. The cherry in there though really reminds me of Three Philsophers, probably from the yeast strain they’re using.

There is some booze on the end, but it is still easy drinking. There’s a tannin, vinous finish on the back end.

Dare I say, I perfer this over Three Philsophers. This surely packs more complexity and has that wonderful nose. It also is really quite easy drinking, which is dangerous for a 10% ABV quad. One of the few American examples of a quad that I both find interesting, but amazing.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Brown creamy color, nice medium head poured in a frosty mug. Great citrus flavor that tantalized our nariz like no other. Smooth citrus flavor, nice hop blend, and a little sweet finish. The finish might be the best part, as I cashed the brew and sat contemplating the sweet, citrus, hoppy aftertaste. Fantastic! Give it a try if you have the thumb strength to pop the top!

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Better review later, but this is a malty, rich and fascinating beer. This is beer is very drinkable.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a semi-translucent honey golden with a thick, fine-bubbled, pale yellow-cream head. Aroma is fruity, yeasty and slightly sweet. Richly fruity flavor has hints of yeast, malt and honey - quite tasty. Lively, tingly, fizzy, sassy texture leaves a nice honey-sweet but not cloying finish.

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Pored a nice chestnut brown color with loads of head.Had to let it settle to get more in the glass-huge carbonation level-head lingered the whole way down.Enormous aroma of malt-very bready and yeasty as well.Nicely spiced.Malt and spices dominate-theres a great sweetness going on.Spices-notes of orange,coriander and licorice.Huge full bodied mouthfeel-10% abv-WHERE?Very smooth with the same residual sweetness.A very,very drinkable beer.Improved greatly as it warmed.This really needs to lay a while to improve even more.A great Belgian style beer from the US.

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Had this on cask at Rustico's Glassware Giveaway (served after they ran out of Black). I've really been enjoying Belgians lately, and this was certainly no exception. It was a hazy dark amber with some light tan head. It smelled a bit faint, but like creamy Belgian yeast and mulling spices and toffee. Delicious. It tasted similar to the smell, but bolder and with a lot of nuances and complexities that I'm sure I missed (split this pint with a friend, and had already had a couple pints before). My main thought was how surprisingly similar this tasted to St. Bernardus, which is one of my all-time favorites. However, the key difference was the body and feel. Despite Four being on cask, St. Bernardus from a bottle somehow manages to be much smoother and silkier. Four was a little thin and flat. I'd probably normally give the mouthfeel a 4, but considering it was on cask, I had to dock it a half point for not living up to my hopes/expectations. Otherwise, this was a very enjoyable beer. Great to sip and contemplate, but all to easy to gulp.

Allagash Four from Allagash Brewing Company