Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: Tripel

Allagash Curieux was the first foray into barrel aging. Curieux is made by aging our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam bourbon barrels for eight weeks in our cold cellars. The aged beer is then blended back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting beer is soft with coconut and vanilla notes, with hints of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

Reviews: 887 | Ratings: 3,652

bottled on 10/21/2015

Appearance - pours a golden hue with white head

Smell - vanilla, oak, butterscotch

Taste - hint of citrus upfront, butterscotch with vanilla and oak on the back end

Mouthfeel - medium plus bodied, high/full carbonation, mildly sweet upfront, dry finish, vanilla and oak linger on the back end

Overall - decent take on 'innovation' of a tripel, the flavors aren't as bold as I was expecting, but seem to work well.

Price Point - $17.99/25.4 oz bottle

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Slightly hazy pale color with white head. Aroma is floral and perfumey with a touch of bourbon. Taste starts like a typical Belgian tripel, yeasty and sweet but on the aftertaste you get the bourbon barrel. Medium body and carbonation. Not bad at all but I think the flavors don't combine as well as expected.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a wonderful, hazy, pale lemon with a thin, creamy, white head. No carbonation.
Not a big smell., banana and yeast, a bit of funk.
A very smooth ale, with the same banana and yeast up front, twang from alcohol on back.
As it warms, this beer explodes, the yeast and banana becomes more prominamt. The vanilla, oak, clove and Carmel hints show up. What a complex beer! The kiss of Jack says..."yep, I know I'm a badass beer!

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled November of last year. Poured into my "stout snifter". Cloudy orange gold reminiscent of a New England style DIPA. Constant creamy foam and lacing. Scent of rich funk with a slight barrel presence on the back end. Tart, tangy bold flavor with very mild barrel notes. Booze is there, but not overpowering. Creamy, fun on the tongue, tasty,

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled 10/22/15.

Pours a golden color, lightly hazy, with a one and a half finger head, good amount of lacing. Smell is yeast, malt, straw, light bourbon, a little oak, a general spiciness- cloves? Taste follows the nose with the yeast and malt, bourbon- more as it warms, oak, vanilla, some caramel, spices still present- again, cloves? Very smooth, solid body, well carbonated.

This is a favorite of mine, perfectly blended. Intense and different flavor, this is one everyone should try. Just a delight to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

People seem to be returning over and over to the costs.... folks I bought this at Costco for either 8.99 or 9.99 Forgot which (admittedly they may not all carry this). You all need to go to Costco and check their craft beers. Half BEVMO. Fantastic beer here and I have tried the coffe porter they carry and it is also great and also around this price point.

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This bourbon barrel aged tripel pours a bright orange gold color with a good deal of carbonation and a fairly thick, white, foamy head that has amazing retention. There is sharp alcohol scent and slight fragrances of yeast and banana. At 11% alcohol this is a potent beer and unsurprisingly it has an assertive alcohol flavor. There is a sweet banana flavor as well as lesser flavors of typical Belgian spices and a subtle, but noticeable oak and bourbon flavor from the aging. There is a significant difference between this and the Allagash tripel, which is good on its own, but I would say slightly inferior. I have tried this on tap and in the bottle and I have to say that it is better on tap. The bottle I had might have been a little over-aged. This is the fourth highest rated tripel and I think with good reason as I don’t usually like these as much as quads. It is robust almost like a quad, however, which is to my liking.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I tried this on Memorial Day weekend at my sister's house. Didn't know at the time it ran $15 for a 750ml bottle, so I'm glad she let me try some. It had a release date of December 2015 printed on the bottle and said to drink within 1 year and this is only at the 6 month mark, so it's well within its freshness limit.

Poured into a brandy snifter, the beer had a hazy medium gold color to it with a 1-finger creamy white head on top that just wouldn't go away even after 3 or 4 minutes of waiting, so I finally gave up waiting for it to dissipate and stuck my nose in the glass to get a good whiff. Lacing was good as well.

I didn't get any kind of overpowering smell to this. Instead it had some mild fruit to it, some vanilla, and a bit of bourbon.

They say this is aged 8 weeks in Jim Beam whisky barrels so I was looking forward to the taste. It was amazing. There was a mildly sweet malty backbone to it with a touch of Belgian yeast, coconut and other fruit flavors, vanilla, and just the right amount of bourbon whisky. It's balance with a light amount of noble hops and the 11% alcohol is not that noticeable.

It's somewhere between light to medium in body with moderate carbonation.

It's a great sipper and absolutely delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Pastabilities in Syracuse, NY. This beer tends to be the about same price per oz on tap as in the bottle. So I pass over the ubiquitous $18+ bottle, but order this whenever I see it on tap. There's a perfect balance between the bourbon barrel and the base tripel.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 750 mL bottle into snifter. November 2015 bottling.
A: Pours a clear golden yellow hue with moderate carbonation producing a 1 inch white head with decent retention.
S: Soft funk, musty, vanilla, soft bourbon, white pepper, and spicy grain. Hint of florals.
T: Vanilla and soft bourbon come to the forefront here. Spicy grain, soft citrus funk, white pepper, and soft floral notes too. With warming, coconut and oak notes emerge.
M: Soft, supple, and creamy. ABV present, but restrained with only a mild alcohol bite. Medium-heavy body. Nice lingering and maturing of spice and earthy funk notes in the finish.
D: Well balanced and restrained. A nice offering, but not spectacular (it was priced as such).

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a very slightly cloudy light gold color with a one inch head that left a lot of lacing. Smells of bready yeast, vanilla, bourbon, and banana. The taste is just fantastic and complex. It has the classic Tripel flavors only enhanced with the bourbon, vanilla, coconut and oak. Very well carbonated, smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Overall an excellent beer.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at Chickie's in Philadelphia. Poured into a pint glass.

L: Pours a clear golden caramel color. Thick creamy head and outstanding lacing.

S: Belgian yeasts, oak and bourbon.

T/F: Just fantastic... an awesome tripel and the bourbon aging REALLY works on this one. The bourbon complements rather than overpowers contributing some great oak character and vanilla but light on the booze. This goes great with the Belgian yeasts and dark candy flavors and dark fruits of the triple and melds into a fantastic beer.

O: Just awesome. An absolute must-try if you find it. One of the best I've ever had.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a mostly opaque peach color with some chill haze. Up top sits a finger of bright white head. Not much retention, but a given for 11% ABV. Moderate patchy lace.

The nose picks up the bourbon for shire, but also some fruity notes as well. As the bottle suggests, coconut plays in the background.

WOW. It tastes spectacular. The barrel aging provides coconut and vanilla and they're easily detected. Faint tropical fruit with a Belgian yeast pepper. The alcohol cleans up in the end.

Not that it's a bad thing, but it's a little simple to drink. Very smooth. Medium bodied. Sweet, spicy feel. A touch warming. Crisp finish.

A really sensational beer. Wish I could get this in Indiana.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at the Barking Dog Ale House in Haverhill. The beer had a murky light gold appearance with thick lacing and thin retention. Aromas were rich with that bourbon barrel aging such as vanilla, booze, and some bready yeasts. Taste follows the nose especially with a warm, bourbon aftertaste. The mouthfeel was a good balance of creaminess with a slight carbonation. Overall, this was a fantastic drink!

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An exceptional barrel-aged Tripel.

Poured into a snifter from a 750ml bottle. This is the most carbonated beer I've ever seen! The bubbles make the glass look like it's full of champagne.

The smell is delicious. Steadfast coconut, banana, a pleasant Belgian-beer-style smell. Tastes very nice - coconut, oak wood, yeasty, bubbly mouthfeel, almost fizzy, spritzy. Definitely doesn't taste 11%, more like an 8%, 9% tops.

Overall, an excellent beer. The bourbon wasn't too overpowering (I would've preferred more, actually). However, a bit pricey for me to buy regularly, perhaps too much even to buy on a special occasion if there are other speciality beers to choose from.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle served in a tulip. This was bottled in November 2015 (4 months before this tasting). Pours golden yellow with a thin white head. The nose is mild -- yeast, banana, and a touch of oak. The flavor profile on this one is honestly incredible. It opens with soft citrus and tapers into rich, milky coconut and vanilla. An incredible beer. Super smooth and luxurious. Worth every penny. Maybe the best tasting 11% beer I've had. Super smooth from beginning to end. Would recommend without a doubt. A must-have.

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured on cask

A: Pale yellow with slight one finger head. Fairly shiort retention and leaving some light lacing.

S: Wine, bourbon, Begian yeast, banana, and a touch of clove

T: Follows the nose with a mix of wine and bourbon while showcasing typical tripel flavors.

M: Medium body and average carbonation. Finish is a little hot and slightly sweet

O: Excellent beer and the cask presentation was spot on.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

very good bourbon notes along with the classic tripel flavors. the bourbon is restrained and doesn't tip the balance. the awesome coconut and vanilla still manages to come through

Over the years on BA, I've given several perfect ratings while others have never given one..

"The perfect beer can never be achieved...", they say...

"No beer is worthy of a 5 rating!", they exclaim...

Well.... Guess what?

Just gave another one... and this one is as worthy, if not more so, than all of the others...

Here's the catch.... I've had this beer before... several times actually... How I haven't reviewed this is a mystery to me.. Every time I drink this, I enjoy it more and more and I'm finally giving it the recognition that it so richly deserves in my eyes..

Along with La Fin du Monde, this is easily the best tripel on the planet... It's gorgeous to behold in a St. Bernardus chalice... Glowing golden as if it's been touched by King Midas himself... Lovely active carbonation... Perfection...

Heavenly aromas of Belgian yeast, sweet pears, rich coconut, crisp apples, fleeting aromas of bourbon... they blend to create a sublime sensory experience... If I could capture this essence, I would wear this as a cologne and fend the women off as best I could... Remarkably fragrant in the manner of that first whiff of the hyacinths blooming out front... Incredible...

Sweet and yeasty up front followed quickly by a wave of bourbon, coconut, and booze... Intoxicatingly delicious, this beer is a star and knows it... a man amongst boys if you will... It's potent flavor profile has me reaching time and time again for the glass as I type away at this review... the finish is long and slow and luxurious with the yeast and fruit holding on for dear life...waiting for the next sip...

I'm convinced.... Allagash would be the brewery I would choose to distribute to my state without a doubt. I've sung their praises to friends for years now and this beer just serves to prove my point... Everything those guys do is on a different level than others....

This very well could be the longest review that I've ever written but this beer is worth it without a doubt...

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Served in a tulip at Jimmy the Greeks in OOB.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a golden yellow with great clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Frothy lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Banana, apple, pear, vanilla, bourbon, pilsner malts, coconut, and warm boozy alcohol.

Taste: Wow, wow, wow. This beer tastes delicious from year to year. Awesome blend of above aromas.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, super delicious, light to medium bodied, lightly chewy, light warm booziness, and barrel flavor.

Overall: I've had this beer a lot over the years. Awesome, drlicious, and never gets old. I'll revisit this soon.

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I have had this on tap and bottle and notice that the bottle is yeastier and more complex. The only problem is that this has become too many people's top tripel and that has driven up the price to the point that I'm not comfortable buying it anymore and, instead, will look for better value in tripels.

Tried again five months later (after a retail chain ran a special price)... While Curieux probably was worth the money at full price, it certainly is worth it at 25% below retail. Just a very enjoyable tripel. (But, no change in rating.)

Deservedly on the "1001" list.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served in a flute glass from a 750ml bottle.

Appearance: Hazy gold with medium to heavy bubbles on the body. Head (which is white) is subtle rising to roughly quarter of an inch. Lacing is sticky, dropping a bit uneven after a sip.

Smell: Yeast and cinnamon with light mix of honey scent.

Taste: Alright you have something a little extra with this beer, honey and raisins and a double shot of yeast. You have a butterscotch sweetness to it with a light vanilla note...super complex.

Mouth: Sticky, rye bread meshed with raisin bread and little sour at the end. And yes I said it...it's sticky.

Overall: Very good brew, little different than a lot of beers you will have but honestly a written Godsend. My last brew before I get married...Salud!

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2-11-16 (750ml, Long Beach) yeasty mushroom thing which is a hallmark for many Belgian style beers, some spiciness as in nutmegish, a note of vanilla, finishes clean and high alcohol content doesn't get in the way of the flavor, overall very good

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm less than a year into my journey through the rabbit hole we call craft beer. When I began this journey last summer I really didn't know what I was looking for, and I wasn't really ready for the joy in the results. In any case, sometime around August I made a list of beers that I wanted to try that included KBS, Darkness, BA Yeti, Dark Lord, and Curieux (see picture). Since then, I've drown myself in KBS, stocked up both regular and BA Darkness in my newly founded cellar, indulged in a variety of Yeti options, and struck out on Dark Lord. Curieux had sort of been forgotten, a ghost that I was sort of aware of in the corner of my eye, but not floating in my full field of vision. Until last weekend when my wife and I took a Sunday trip to Chicago to enjoy the Field Museum on a day when a portion of the crowd would be busy watching some sort of foosball game or something. After the museum we stopped by Beer Temple, a hell of a bottle shop if you if get the chance to go, and one of my favorite Chicago stops. Long story short, Curieux was on the shelf!

The bottle was shared with friends during a board game night. A 2013 bottle of BA Speedway was also in attendance so, suffice to say, it was a good night. My initial reaction to Curieux was to be impressed by the smoothness of the brew. We talk about silkiness from time to time, but I haven't had a lot of beers that really brought that image to mind as much as Curieux did. The beer wraps itself around your tongue and gently holds you in a warm embrace. That silky, almost buttery, caress is accompanied by a brilliantly blended combination of tastes fold through your mouth with vanilla, coconut, a touch of breadiness, and a slight hint of bourbon from the 8 weeks of aging.

My regret from the experience is that I neglected to purchase more than one bottle, but at least I'm now armed with the knowledge that this beer should never be left out of my sights again. Do yourselves the favor of finding this bottle and sharing it with friends, you won't be sorry.

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite beers from time spend in Maine. I got to check out this brewery several times while I lived in Maine and this beer on tap was something else.

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) from Allagash Brewing Company