Curieux | Allagash Brewing Company

1.5/5  rDev -65%

1.68/5  rDev -60.7%

2.04/5  rDev -52.3%

2.16/5  rDev -49.5%

The bourbon aging wasn't enough to save this from tasting like beer.

2.25/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -47.4%

2.27/5  rDev -47%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Ale aged in Oak Bourbon barrels (their triple, for 8 weeks), 11% ABV, Bottling November 10, 2015, reviewed 5/14/18. Brewed with Allagash 2-Row Malted Barley Blend and hopped with Nugget and Hallertau. (They fail to mention on the Curieux page that they brew the tripel with white cane sugar)

"First brewed back in 2004, Curieux was our first foray into barrel aging. To make Curieux, we take our Tripel and let it age in bourbon barrels for seven weeks. Once that time is up, we take the beer out of our cold cellars and blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting rich, golden ale features smooth notes of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon."

Pours out to a cloudy golden peach, forming a tall white head with very good retention and solid lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5-3 carbs, not spritzy like many bottle conditioned Belgians. The nose is interesting, at first, very much straight apple juice, then a little pear nectar, then some muted phenols. Not as spicy in the nose as I was expecting. I love bourbon and know it well, but I don't get any bourbon in the nose. The mouthfeel is medium dense body, lightly syrupy and definitely warming as it goes down. Not astringent. The taste again, is of apple juice and pear nectar, overall on the sweet side, some moderate bitterness just in the very tail end, and a quite warm blast of alcohol in the middle and end.
There are some very harsh alcohols that make it very difficult to drink as it warms up. Unfortunately, the rest of this bottle will be a drain pour.

A worthy but failed attempt. I respect Allagash and like almost everything they brew, but this beer is an unfortunate exception. The alcohol is harsh and fierce, something I don't enjoy. I wouldn't buy this again, nor can I recommend it.

2.32/5  rDev -45.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. November 2008 bottling.

A: Pours a cloudy golden body with a finger of off-white head that retains moderately and collapses into a medium collar with very light film on top. No lacing.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, butter, oak. Citrus (lemon, apricot, maybe even tangerine), banana, spice. A little boozy warmth.

T: Bourbon; definitely bourbon, yes. Buttery oak and vanilla also emerge at the front. I thought those flavors would recede over time, so it makes me wonder what this beer was like a year and a half ago. The base beer comes out more in the mid-taste, but not fully. The barrel character has overwhelmed it. I can get hints of lemon, apricot, tangerine, as well as banana. The finish is spicy at first, but it gets pretty warm from the booze, though I would hesitate to call it hot.

M: Definitely chewy, but it is medium-bodied. Carbonation is good (to my palate), but I acknowledge it is low for a tripel.

D: I didn't really enjoy this experiment. Bourbon-barrel tripels are rare, so I can't really judge to "the style," but I know Cascade's Vlad had some bourbon-tripel in there, and it was worlds better than this one. Won't even consider buying this again at $17.

2.42/5  rDev -43.5%

750ml corked in bottle. Bottle date of Oct 2008 and a whopping 11% alcohol. Handsome packaging.

Appearance: Cloudy hazy gold, tightly carbonated with nice white head that dissipates quickly. Good for style.

Smell: Way too oaky. It just hits you in the olfactories. A sugary coconut smell

Taste: Way too oaky here too. I can't get past the coconut flavor, it almost tastes imitation, but I trust it's not. I can taste hints of the tannin in the after taste.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel, but nothing outstanding. Carbonation is crisp and body is smooth.

Drinkability: Not impressed.

Maybe with aging the oakiness will diminish, but not impressed enough to buy one to age at this price.

2.43/5  rDev -43.2%

light copper, perfectly clear, tons of small fine carbs support the spritzy head.

Burbon smell is predominant although you can pick out the typical fruity tripel aroma.

After my first bottle I thought it needed some cellar time. This one is just a young 6 months old and its not ready yet in my opinon. Still a bit harsh around the edges. sweet malts add to the sugary aspect. The alcohol did make the movie "bad santa" pretty entertaining.

Notes: These bourbon type brews are tough. some peppery content came through late in the aftertaste but it just seemed like a watered down black velvet blend.

2.45/5  rDev -42.8%

Fairly clear golden orange body with a tall foamy white head. Some scattered light lacing was left around the glass. Aroma was a mix of sweet fruits and strong bourbon alcohol notes. There was minimal spice as well but the more this warmed the more the alcohol and bourbon drowned out everything else. Taste was more of the same. Too much bourbon and alcohol to let anything else but some sweetness gets through. There were light fruit and spice notes but as the bottle warmed the alcohol became even more evident. Very unpleasant towards the end of the bottle. I really dig their standard triple but this was way too hot to enjoy. I figured it might have mellowed some but that was not the case. Mouthfeel was solid. Drinkability was shot to hell by the alcohol. Seems like triples and bourbon barreling don’t mix well.

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%