Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: Tripel

Allagash Curieux was the first foray into barrel aging. Curieux is made by aging our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam bourbon barrels for eight weeks in our cold cellars. The aged beer is then blended back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting beer is soft with coconut and vanilla notes, with hints of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

Reviews: 887 | Ratings: 3,644
2.85/5  rDev -32.3%

I had to admit this Belgian style triple with oak aged Bourbon casks was a bit dissapointing. Not much of the characteristics they mention in the product came through in the tasting (oak, vanilla, caramel/toffee).

The beer also from a mouthfeel and taste is a bit lacking as well compared to other tripels I've had. No big heavy fruit or breadyness that I was expecting, also the beer felt to heavy on the alcohol side compared to other tripels whose body and taste profile could mask the alcohol I've had. It's a good beer but I found it hard to drink, and felt it really needed to be paired with food, you couldn't just casually drink it.

2.87/5  rDev -31.8%

Man, I was really looking forward to this bottle. I'm wondering if I might have gotten a bad bottle. I heard binny's can produce a bad bottle or 2, because if this is how it normally tastes, it is wayyy overpriced. Color was the best part, nice light murky orange. I smelled almost nothing at all on the nose. Tasted like alot of bourbon, which i do love me some bourbon forward beers, but thats all I got, nothing else. Not much hops, lightly carbonated. Like I said, I think I might have gotten a bad bottle, because this was very unimpressive if this is the norm.

2.88/5  rDev -31.6%

On tap. Pours a hazy light gold with a creamy white head that leaves nice lace. Smells strongly sweet and fruity, but with plenty of oak and whiskey as well. Banana and citrus. Expected spiciness from the typical tripel yeast. Tastes of sweet, grainy malt, yeasty light fruit, and strong bourbon. It's surprising how much the whiskey comes through. Some oakiness and spice there as well. For me, the bourbon character doesn't work well at all with the flavor of a tripel. Between the dijointed flavors and the high ABV, this one doesn't drink very easily.

2.89/5  rDev -31.4%

To put it simply.

There is way too much bourbon flavor in this beer. It tastes like they took a regular beer and added a shot of jim bean to it.

The aroma itself is somewhat pleasant. I enjoyed smelling the beer at least.

I would reccomend this beer to try at least once, but thats about it.

2.9/5  rDev -31.1%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Overall the intensity is pretty mild. Strawberry and 7-up spritzer. tart candied oranges. Fruit smoothie (mix of bananas, berries and apples). Whiskey sour.

Taste: Slightly sour-orange woodiness with a pinch of alcohol burn and slightly stale white wine up front. Slowly melds to a middle which is dark citrus, faint light bourbon alcohol and semisweet with a white wine edge. Finish is dry white wine and is moderately fresh and citrusy.

Notes: While tripels are a beer that is often wine-like, this ends up more like and exact replica of white wine. Really didn't get the bourbon/vanilla notes that everyone else is talking about....maybe since its was on draft?

2.93/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a lift caramel color that is somewhat opaque. Nose brings forward a god dose of light bourbon along with some caramel sweetness and bread. Sligt spicing. The taste just doesn't really work for me, with some strange bread and banana interacting with the bourbon. It sounds good, but just isn't very appetizig to me. Mouthfeel is a bit boozy and thin. This one just did not work for me.

2.96/5  rDev -29.7%

750ml 25.4 Oz. bottle. Split with buddy and poured into my Duvel tulip. Had this bottle over a year hoping the bourbon would "mellow" a little with some age since trying my first bottle.

Appearance: Nice rich head which remains over time, very good lacing throughout.

Smell: Bourbon up front, dominant, very little else on the nose.

Taste: Again, bourbon, all about the bourbon, "bourbon uber alles". All other flavors are pretty well masked. Unlike bourbon barrel aged stouts like KBS and Cuvee Delphine where the bourbon is a component in a multi flavored balanced brew, here the bourbon is too much and does not allow the Tripel characteristics to surface at all. This also makes the alcohol noticeable.

Mouth feel: Alcohol burn but otherwise decently smooth.

Drinkability: Too boozy to make a sessionable beer, one and done, glad I was splitting the bottle.
Again, could have been a much better brew if the bourbon aging added "A component" rather the being "THE component".

3.04/5  rDev -27.8%

This is a good, well crafted beer. I love Allagash's triple, but the oak aging just did not do it for me. I am not a big bourbon drinker and the flavors imparted from the aging in bourbon barrells made it hard for me to drink. I guess I have just gotten sick off of bourbon one too many times and the olfactory reminders of those occurances made this an unpleasant experience for me.

Appearance: Hazy gold with minimal head.

Smell: Vanilla and smoke. Like watered down Jim Beam. Some sweetness underneath, but I detected none of the various fruit flavors others have.

Taste: Dry, with some of the fruitiness and phenols coming through. This beer is somewhat interesting in that it manages to by both sweet and dry at the same time. However the aftertaste is exactly the same as I get from a shot of bourbon. I somewhat enjoy that when I'm drinking whiskey, I did not enjoy it at all in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with some pleasant tingling, sour once swallowed.

Drinkablility: Had a bit of a hard time finishing the glass. Not the beer for me. But many others like it. It is a good beer, just not at all what I am into.

3.06/5  rDev -27.3%

Golden to light copper color and a white head quickly diminishing to some scant lacing. Aromas display big woodsy oak barrel characters, earthiness, golden apples, soft fruits, and something lactic like yogurt. Large alcoholic burn dominates beer along with oaky bourbon flavor, vanilla, and bananas. BA spice characters meld well with those of the tripel but as it warms they seem to consume the other flavors. Typical tripel mouthfeel...thin, fizzy carbonation. Lots of alcohol and bourbon in the finish. Before I finish the bottle all I can taste is sweet, sweet, sweet aspartame and bourbon. Just couldn’t appreciate much of the tripels nuances... maybe some extensive aging would do this better justice.

3.06/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured from a 750 corked and caged bottle into a my DT glass. Label shows Aug 2006 bottling with 510 cases bottled. It opened with a good pop and was a clear golden honey color. It barely had a head and that went away quickly. It also had a steady small stream of carb throughout. The smell was very heavy on the oaked bourbon from the barrell. It was so dominant that no other smells really came to the front. The taste followed suit and it made me think of a bourbon and water more than a beer. This barrell trend is really hot right now and I've seen it done well where it adds some new flavor to the beer but this one barely shows any of the beer. Can't tell it was a tripel except for the identification here. I can see why some might love it but for me it's a one and done. Don't recommend. (2.5, NA, ML, N)

Feb 2007 bottle.

Appearance: A rich golden color, very pronounced head and lacing.

Smell: Strong boozy bourbon with lemon, orange peel and just a touch of vanilla. The alcohol overwhelms the delicate base beer, and at the same time doesn't lend much depth itself, just a lot of heat.

Taste: Dry, boozy, slightly tart. The citrusy flavors typical of tripels and the malty vanilla character of the bourbon are equally pronounced here. The alcohol is quite noticable. I would imagine this will mellow with age, but I don't really mind it young; it's just very hot.

Mouthfeel: Extremely crisp and highly carbonated. Despite the complex flavor and heavy booze it maintains a pretty light texture. The rich flavor and alcohol really coat the tongue.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipper - it would take a while to finish an entire bottle alone.

Notes: An interesting experiment, but I think I prefer the Tripel Reserve on its own - the bourbon really overpowers the delicacy of the tripel. I think this would work better with a bolder beer as a base.

3.06/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Light fleshy fruit aroma up front quickly smothered by the bourbon alcohol (some coconut and rubbing alcohol). Airy, bright white head fades quickly to a thin film. Slightly hazy, golden straw colored beer with a few stray bubbles rising slowly to the surface. Tastes like a bourbon infused triple. Fleshy fruit and yeasty triple flavor goes toe-to-toe with the mild bourbon tones. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth. I thiink I'd rather spend my $15 on two bottles of the triple.

Bottled in May of 2007.

A golden blondish appearance. Very thick white head with some sticky lacing. Aromas of citrus, candied sugar, oak, and soft bourbon. Complex in flavor. Tastes of fruity lemon, green apple, spicy clove, vanilla, and oak. Definitely had that boozy warming effect after each sip. The oak seemed to come out more in the finish. Mouth feel smooth and soft. Moderate carbonation. Overall drinkability was interesting. The bourbon barrel aging didn’t do it for me but never the less it was fun to try. Cheers!

3.07/5  rDev -27.1%

750ml bottle shared in wine glasses. Hazy yellow with a thin white head. Some lacing. Aroma is of coconut, alcohol, vanilla, wood, spices, and some citrus. Taste is alcohol, bitter wood, coconut, vanilla, malt, and spices. Light body, thin texture, soft active carbonation, dry finish.

3.08/5  rDev -26.8%

Overall, I am usually very impressed with Allagash. I think they make a lineup of great beers.

Unfortunately, I did not care for this one as much.

For a triple, the carbonation was lacking. The head quickly dissipated to leave behind a trace of foam.

The aroma actually had a corn smell to it; a slight presence of DMS. The oak aging helped to offset this problem, as it brought out nice shades of vanilla as well.

Overall, the hop flavor was too muted to make the flavor complex. I did perceive a lot of malt, but without the carbonation and nice texture or hop flavor, I thought this beer was too one-dimensional.

3.11/5  rDev -26.1%

Package: 750ml corked and caged bottle, labeled 9.5% ABV. Aged in Bourbon barrels and bottle-conditioned. Classic parchment-like buff label with what looks like hand-lettering and explaining special handling.

Cost: $9.99 at Ramsey Liquors

Presentation: tulip glass at ~55º

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellow color with some burnished tints. Voluminously fluffy, dry, tight head that persisted through both servings. Numerous streams of extremely fine bubbles cut through the cloudy body. Light, insubstantial lacing. Very vigorous cork pop and gunsmoke, with a lot of lees at the bottom of the bottle.

Smell: Quite alcoholic, with strong bourbon vanilla notes. Faint hints of the citrus zest, banana, clove, and coriander that are so lovely in the “plain old” tripel reserve. Not very subtle in beating one about the olfactory bulbs with the bourbon.

Taste: Again, the bourbon permeates the first impressions. It’s hot on the palate, alcoholic, and overly vanilla-sweet. The orange zest and some banana come through, but the rest of the complex flavors I love in this beer are pretty much flattened. There’s some yeastiness and malt, but they are suffused in sweetness. Their tripel reserve (q.v.) is one of my favorite beers, but this just goes too far. Contrary to the regular tripel, this one seems to worsen as it warms, the bourbon becoming even more apparent.

Mouthfeel: Continues the Allagash tradition of bottle-conditioning super-smooth, creamy beers with fine carbonation and great mouthfeel. Without any crispness though, this verges on the syrupy.

Drinkability: Not very for me. I’ll stick with the superior standard offering (practically two for one). This is the second beer in a week (Edition 2004 being the other) that I found to be way too sweet for me.

Backwash: WHAT HAVE THEY DONE WITH MY BELOVED TRIPEL RESERVE! At least they had the good sense not to name this Heresy, which is what it is. I’ve been pretty disappointed with most of the bourbon-barrel aged beers I’ve had lately (e.g. Heresy). Frankly, tripel is one of the last styles I’d expect to show well after being aged in bourbon barrels. It’s a delicate (if high-ABV) beer with a balance of sweet and complex flavors. The bourbon simply overwhelms it. If Allagash wishes to experiment with different expressions, I think aging in port, sherry, or rum casks might work much better.

3.12/5  rDev -25.9%

pours a semi-hazy orange with a small off-white head, lively carbonation, okay lacing.

smell of fruit, bread, grain, touch of toasted caramel, nuts, malt, some spice.

taste is smooth, sweet, pear, apricot, green grape, grain, carbonation, some wood, slight spice.

overall a little too sweet for my liking.

3.12/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750 mL December 04 Listed as 11% ABV (not 9.5 as listed here)

Pours a bright yellow with golden core, very little initial head with next to zero retention.

Aroma is straw, oak (though a lot more sweet than one would expect in a bourbon) and a yeasty smell like those ready to bake dinner rolls.

Taste is alcohol first and foremost, a lot more of the woody notes coming in towards the end of the draw. Really sharp bite right as the aftertaste kicks in, leads into a dark cherry.

This is an intense beer, I liked it but expected more. At roughly $15 I doubt I will get this again.

3.15/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours hazy light gold with a minimal white head.

Aroma has some upfront fruits. Banana, pear other lighter fruits, vanilla spice and a little graininess. A touch of bourbon

Flavor is similar to the aroma although there is a lot of pepper in the flavor. The banana and fruit notes are nice, but the bourbon and the pepper create an odd and not entirely pleasant flavor profile. This beer seems a bit confused as to what it wants to shine through.

Medium carbonation, mouthfeel on the lighter side with some alcohol present.

Ok concept, but didn't really do much for me. The flavor profile was very muddy and even though I split it 5 ways it still got a bit cloying by the end of the glass.

3.16/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Drank from a 1 pint 9.4 fl oz (750 ml) corked and caged bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Bottling September 13, 2012
Served in a tulip

The hazy, yellow-amber liquid was topped by an inch-tall crown of sudsy, off-white froth. Splotches of lacing coated the glass. The head faded to a thin, lasting film.

Belgian yeast notes were apparent in the nose. Crisp, fruity and phenolic. Slightly sweet with subtle vanilla notes. Touch of citrus. Lemon peel was most apparent. Hints of bourbon came through as well.

The flavor profile was rather lackluster. Belgian yeast notes appeared on the front end. Slightly phenolic. Subtle bready, toasty notes were present as well. Crisp, dry and lemony in the center. Hints of tart and bitter citrus rind were noticeable on the back end. The finish was oaky, dry and much hotter than I anticipated. I was amazed that this was only 11%.

The mouthfeel was one of the better things about this beer. It was smooth, supple and frothy. The liquid contained a fine, lively effervescence.

Curieux was a huge letdown, especially considering that I paid nearly $20 for this bottle. Not only was the flavor profile simplistic and quite harsh, but the bourbon element was practically non-existant. Allagash makes some terrific beers, but this definitely is not one of them.

3.16/5  rDev -24.9%

Thanks to Normyk for the opportunity to try this. I had missed this beer many times over.

Appearance
Much lighter than I expected. It seems like the barrels barely had an effect on the color. Its a pale golden. Clear and bright with a white head and good lacing.

Aroma
Again, the barreling is very understated, allowing the beer to be more of a Tripel. Lemon notes, and understated, almost bretty funkiness with light, sweet dough. Some yeasty spice is there as well. Things are smoothed over by a little bit of butter and coconut.

Taste
Very tripel like with very little in the way of bourbon. Spicy and chalky yeast with some apple-like fruitiness. There is some faint vanilla and lemon mixed in.

Mouthfeel
The carbonation is too high, that seems to be the way of Allagash though. This beer finishes hot and dry.

Overall
Not what I expected at all. After this, Black and a couple others I've had I'll be removing the rest of the Allagash beers from my wants list now.

3.22/5  rDev -23.5%

Served on-draught into a mason jar at Villain's in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were high; I've loved the beers I've had from Allagash in the past.

A: Pours a one finger head of fair cream, decent thickness, and pretty good retention. Colour is a semitransparent yellow. I wouldn't know it was 11% to look at it.

Sm: Very fruity - melon, peach, orange clementine, and nuts. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Cream, heavy fruit, alcohol, and banana. Some hops. It's got a heavy tropical vibe - maybe pineapple and passion fruit. Lots of coconut too. Evocative of a pina colada to an extent. Complex but very strange. I like that it's bold and inventive, but it's sort of a failed experiment. Awkwardly balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Generally suits the flavours.

Dr: Among the strangest beers I've tried. Everyone should try it because it's experimental; it's sort of a novelty item. Very drinkable for the ABV. Curious indeed.

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

Served at cellar temperature in a Chimay chalice. Bottled in September, 2004.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear burnished gold with a quarter-inch cap of foam, replenished slowly from the etched fleur de lis.

Smell- Old, boozy oak barrels with a strong vanilla and wood character. Musty cellar. Notes of mold and wet carpet.

Taste- Bourbon clearly out front, with its alcohol sweetness coating the entire mouth and tongue. The usual nuances of a Tripel are, unfortunately, masked by the overwhelming bourbon oak barrel influence.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Exquisite development in the mouth from beginning to end... the initial subtle carbonation becomes impossibly creamy and remains so throughout.

3.26/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours looking like well carbonated honey gold that really glows. Hosts a huge off-white head. Nose is a creamy wheat and citrus balance. Enters the mouth rich with a strong oiley wheat tone. Includes a sour syrupy feel on the main part of the palate. This beer balances beter and mellows out as it warms a bit. The long soured wheat feel is the dominating attribute to this beer. The alchol is well hidden. Drinks pretty well overall but for $16 a bottle I was expecting much more.

3.26/5  rDev -22.6%

received as a gift, March 2015. Poured in a goblet at dcellar temp.

Look: Old Gold, fizzy white head, good lacing

Smell: vinegar, maybe some Noble Hops

Taste: unexpected skunk note, pale malt, orchard fruit, some alcohol ester

Feel: soft, mousse like

Overall: major disappointment. Was really looking forward to this one

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) from Allagash Brewing Company