Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)
92%
Liked This Beer
4.28 w/ 3,762 ratings

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

First brewed back in 2004, Curieux was our first foray into barrel aging. To make Curieux, we take our Tripel and let it age in bourbon barrels for seven weeks. Once that time is up, we take the beer out of our cold cellars and blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting rich, golden ale features smooth notes of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

#601
Liked:
4.28/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,762 |  Reviews: 908

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought this having very high hopes. I really enjoy Bourbon Barrel aged brews so when I saw this one I was really excited to try it. I opened the bottle and gave it a pour, it comes out as a hazy yellowish gold color with a white head on top. Gave the brew a good noseful and got mostly a sour aroma to it. Perhaps it's from the Oak barrels, thats fine I was expecting a sweet vanilla aroma from the Bourbon or something but it smelled more like a sour tripel than anything else. The taste was basically the same way, Mostly had a tart flavor to it and virtually no Bourbon flavors that I could pick up at all. The mouthfeel was decent, it had a good feel to it and it was still drinkable. Overall I was just a little bummed about this brew to say the least. I was hoping it would have been a bit different than it was. I haveanother bottle that I'm hanging on to, one day I'll have it again.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

A: The beer is cloudy golden yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high dense white head that died down but consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a thick ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of alcohol, bourbon, pepper, vanilla and yeast in the nose.
T: The bourbon flavors from the barrel aging really stand out in front of those of the tripel but are not that strong and also have notes of oak and hints of vanilla. Flavors of fruit, spices and yeast are also present from the underlying tripel.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. There is warming from the alcohol in the finish.
O: The alcohol is noticeable in the both the smell and taste but this doesn’t make the beer overly difficult to drink. It is definitely a good beer to sip.

Note: Bottled August 2011

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Really enjoyed this tremendous beer. Very bold and vibrant from the color to the finish. Begins with a hazy hefeweizen hue, but with a firm belgian strong pale ale aroma. Twangy Belgian yeast with good pilsner malts and candied, along with carying mild woodsy rounded aromas as well. Flavors show more soft Belgian character with Wit-like flavors and textures before the imense alcohols kick in The fruity pears, apricots, pineapples, and berries rest on a cookie dough maltiness. The oak rounds out the rough edges nicely, but the bourbon flavors never rise. They may provide a light vanilla and coconut flavor, but they are slight. The cottony feel is contrasted by thinning alcohols. The heat displays nutral qualities, not phenolic or fusal, plain and simply warm. Finishes powdery and dry with a refreshing citrus lingering. Very good brew; I highly recommend, but not for the bourbon character.

3.22/5  rDev -24.8%

Served on-draught into a mason jar at Villain's in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were high; I've loved the beers I've had from Allagash in the past.

A: Pours a one finger head of fair cream, decent thickness, and pretty good retention. Colour is a semitransparent yellow. I wouldn't know it was 11% to look at it.

Sm: Very fruity - melon, peach, orange clementine, and nuts. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Cream, heavy fruit, alcohol, and banana. Some hops. It's got a heavy tropical vibe - maybe pineapple and passion fruit. Lots of coconut too. Evocative of a pina colada to an extent. Complex but very strange. I like that it's bold and inventive, but it's sort of a failed experiment. Awkwardly balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Generally suits the flavours.

Dr: Among the strangest beers I've tried. Everyone should try it because it's experimental; it's sort of a novelty item. Very drinkable for the ABV. Curious indeed.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Nov. '06 bottle

Soft peachy color, bisected in two, yellow edge at the meniscus of the glass, fading into a rich orange tone, glowing in the light. Constant head of foam, irregular lacing that fulfills the visual aesthetic requirement.

Lightly sweet aroma that's full of fruit without any cloying element.

Every sip is something to savor and enjoy. The bourbon is obviously a unique element in the mix. Tropical fruit sweetness and a subtle malt breadiness work their way in too. Overall it's a really smooth and integrated combination.

Full bodied with mild carbonation, this is a sipper for sure at 11%. Good for the cellar, can't say more than 2 years would be necessary, this is drinking well now.

After having a 5 year old Dulle Teve last weekend, I can honestly say this domestic Tripel is the best i've ever tasted.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a modest head that retains a meringue topping and leaves copious splashes of lace around the chalice

Smell: Smells like a bourbon barrel; but there is a lot going on underneath - pears, candi sugar and a hint of bubblegum

Taste: Starts with a fairly neutral, bready flavor that, mid-palate becomes a fruit/nut (pear and almonds) and coconut blend; after the swallow, the bourbon, vanilla, oak and bubblegum flavors emerge and dominate the finish

Mouthfeel: Light and somewhat effervescent; considerable warming on the finish

Overall: I tried this a few years ago (2006) and have now updated my review (the Feb 2011 bottling consumed in Apr 2011); either the beer has changed a lot for the better or my palate is different, but this is a lot more balanced than my previous experience; really like the way the bourbon and tripel flavors have merged to create a delightful synergy

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Poured out a somewhat cloudy, golden-yellow color with a small, fizzy, white head. It left minimal traces of lace.

S - It smelled of yeast, grains, citrus and floral notes.

T - It tasted quite spicy and zesty. The bourbon flavors really came through with a sweet kick.

M - It was sharp, crisp and smooth. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This was a great Tripel. It was the first that I have had that was bourbon barrel aged and I liked the kick.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottle: Poured a hazy (real hazy, I just can’t see through my glass) golden color ale with a medium bubbly white head with minimum retention. Aroma of bourbon is quiet easy to detect but also some real funky yeast is present which remind of a saison or even a lambic without the sourness though. Taste is a bit too sharp in alcohol at first, which kind of ruin it for me since I don’t like the warming feeling. But you get used to it and it seems to disappear (or I might just be getting drunk) and then I can see some traces of a nice abbey tripel with a strong yeast profile, which provide a farmhouse side that I really enjoyed. Overall, probably not something I would go for on a regular basis but I still enjoyed. If I was to rate on experiment alone though, I would have rated this much higher since I appreciated the fact that Allagash tried to do something different.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

3.06/5  rDev -28.5%

Feb 2007 bottle.

Appearance: A rich golden color, very pronounced head and lacing.

Smell: Strong boozy bourbon with lemon, orange peel and just a touch of vanilla. The alcohol overwhelms the delicate base beer, and at the same time doesn't lend much depth itself, just a lot of heat.

Taste: Dry, boozy, slightly tart. The citrusy flavors typical of tripels and the malty vanilla character of the bourbon are equally pronounced here. The alcohol is quite noticable. I would imagine this will mellow with age, but I don't really mind it young; it's just very hot.

Mouthfeel: Extremely crisp and highly carbonated. Despite the complex flavor and heavy booze it maintains a pretty light texture. The rich flavor and alcohol really coat the tongue.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipper - it would take a while to finish an entire bottle alone.

Notes: An interesting experiment, but I think I prefer the Tripel Reserve on its own - the bourbon really overpowers the delicacy of the tripel. I think this would work better with a bolder beer as a base.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

750 ml bottle into tulip, bottled in June 2008. Pours hazy golden amber color with a fairly dense 2 finger white head with great retention, that reduces to a fairly thick cap. A bit of thick lacing clings to the glass as well. Aromas of big lemon, clove, banana, pepper, citrus peel, honey-like sweetness, white grape, oak, and bourbon. Surprisingly no real booziness was noticed, and there is a great amount of complexity going on here. Taste of tons of oak, lemon, clove, banana, vanilla, bourbon, white grape, and yeast spiciness. Lingering notes of of mainly bourbon, oak, and vanilla; with a bit of pepper, light fruits, and spices as well. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a decent slightly prickly mouthfeel that is still very smooth. No alcohol noticed other than a warming on the finish. Overall this is an excellent barrel aged tripel. I would definitely like to try a fresher bottle of this because I hear it is even better while it is younger.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled November 2008

Pours a white head. Decent retention with splattered lace left. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: Oak/wood, a lot of spice flavor, I get a little bourbon as well. Some dry light fruits, peaches stick out a lot.

Taste: A lot of oak, bourbon, and vanilla. Raisins, cherries, pepper, spice. Nice flavors.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a little amount of heat showing. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with the -bal aged flavors.

Overall, a decent beer, but nothing I would go out of my way for it. However, I really like the bourbon -bal aging that was done to the triple.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%