Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)
4.28/5
Outstanding

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

First brewed back in 2004, Curieux was our first foray into barrel aging. To make Curieux, we take our Tripel and let it age in bourbon barrels for seven weeks. Once that time is up, we take the beer out of our cold cellars and blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting rich, golden ale features smooth notes of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

#607

Ratings: 3,782 |  Reviews: 910
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.94/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.39/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer will always hold a special place in my heart. Six years ago, I was invited to the Boston Craft Beer Festival by my brother, a craft-beer aficionado. Before then, I had absolutely no knowledge of craft beer, and in my mind all beer resembled something akin to the concoctions made by Anheuser-Busch. Boy was I wrong.

While waiting in line to try my very first craft beer, I heard everyone ordering something called "curie-oh." Despite my brother ordering an Allagash Black, I decided to follow popular consensus, perhaps because of a natural inclination to be different from my brother (never mind my natural aversion to conformity). Boy, was I glad that I did this - not because Allagash Black is a bad beer, but because the beer that I had chosen would cement craft beer - and craft beer culture - in my mind for years. And now, six years later, I am still going strong, trying everything from Tripels to stouts to IPAs.

Without further ado, let me review my first ever craft beer. Here goes:

A: Cloudy yellowish-brown. Pours a massive, frothy head that leaves a lot of lacing. The beer looks as good as I remember it; it's certainly one of the better Tripels produced by an American brewery.

S: Lots of banana bread, coriander, oranges, white pepper, and a tinge of bourbon. Certainly a very yeasty concoction. Very, very sweet, too; this is because of the candied sugar, I suppose.

T: Very good. Follows the smell. Can tastes loads of coriander and orange peels. Also huge helpings of bread from the yeast and candied sugars. Of note, this beer also contains vanilla, probably from its being aged in bourbon barrels.

F: Thick and bready. Good

O: A great beer. It tastes as good as I remember it, and I will be sure to be having it for years to come. Thank you, Allagash, for introducing me to the world of craft beer.

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.74/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty interesting but personally not a big fan myself. Could see many enjoying it

4.11/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.64/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The greenish, dark gold color is cloudy. The small head leaves a lattice of lace.

Sweet, nearly raisin-like, smell. I also get prune and apricot aromas.

The taste has a good dollop of bittering hop along with a strong alcohol presence. This is a blend which works well. The base is pale malt which lingers throughout but doesn't dictate the overall experience.

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%