Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)
4.28/5
Outstanding

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

First brewed back in 2004, Curieux was our first foray into barrel aging. To make Curieux, we take our Tripel and let it age in bourbon barrels for seven weeks. Once that time is up, we take the beer out of our cold cellars and blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting rich, golden ale features smooth notes of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

#604

Ratings: 3,778 |  Reviews: 910
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into a snifter (one I so sneakily stole from the Shannon Rose in Clifton). Not sure how old this bottle is. Label reads 0244 over 10:19. I highly doubt this bottle is 70 years old. Maybe one or two? Who could say? The store I bought this from still had last year's Pumking on the shelf so it could have some age to it. By the way, the pour is lovely. Nice chamomile tea coloring with a two finger head. Beautiful lacing as I continue to drink.

The nose is a little disappointing, I guess. More tripel and not enough bourbon. I wanted a nice blast of booze, but didn't get it. Again, I don't know how old this is.

Taste is smooth. Very smooth. TOO smooth. This must have some age to it. The alcohol burn doesn't start until it's taken a full tour of your esophagus. Slight bourbon notes in the taste. Excellent--nay, superb--balance!

I'm going to enjoy every ML of this 750ML bottle.

Addendum: I'm an idiot. Bottling date is front and center on the bottle. January 24, 2014. Well done, Allagash. You brewed a beer that hid all its alcohol in less than 6 months and hid its bottling date in plain sight.

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 330ml goblet. Bottled 3/21/14. Corked it at 45 degrees F and let it warm while drinking.

Appearance: Pours a clear light copper. Medium head that quickly settles. Light lacing.

Smell: Vanilla, banana, spice, a very light scent of honey.

Taste: A bit high on the alcohol side, even for an 11%. This was a young bottle (only 2 months old), I'm sure it would mellow with age. I bought a second just for that purpose...

Mouthfeel: A dry finish, certainly a belly warmer. Moderate carbonation, it was still bubbling when I finished each glass.

Overall: I expected more bourbon flavor to come through, it was not as noticeable as other bourbon barrel ales I've tried. Still, overall an enjoyable drink. Not sure it was worth the hefty price tag, but looking forward to trying the second bottle in a year or so. Because the bourbon wasn't apparent, next time I'll save half the $$ and get a plain Allagash Tripel..

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%