Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

First brewed back in 2004, Curieux was our first foray into barrel aging. To make Curieux, we take our Tripel and let it age in bourbon barrels for seven weeks. Once that time is up, we take the beer out of our cold cellars and blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting rich, golden ale features smooth notes of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

Ratings: 3,751 |  Reviews: 907

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Note: this re-review is the 3rd, following the most recent on 8/2013. My initial thought was not liking the bourbon addition to beer. barrel-aging (especially whiskey) have grown on me over time. The second review increased ratings, but I thought I would need at least one more.

A: translucent yellow with decent retention and lacing
S: strong on the wood, with some notes of the whiskey. A citrus-pineapple undertone seems present
T/M: initial tastes are like the smell, up front is a little flat beer taste, immediately followed by the bourbon barrel taste to save the day. This taste is subdued by the fruit flavor in the beer, my initial thoughts reminded me of pineapple, and the combo almost of piña colada. The end wood notes fade into a taste of paper (strange but not off-putting)
O: I think this beer could grow on me. The bourbon does not overpower the beer as much as some. The ABV is also pretty well hidden. This is a very solid beer overall. I think the balance of the flavors is superb, even if the overall flavor does not charge me up as much as others.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%