Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)
4.28/5
Outstanding

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

First brewed back in 2004, Curieux was our first foray into barrel aging. To make Curieux, we take our Tripel and let it age in bourbon barrels for seven weeks. Once that time is up, we take the beer out of our cold cellars and blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting rich, golden ale features smooth notes of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

#605

Ratings: 3,779 |  Reviews: 910

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- Fairly cloudy pale copper with a small white layer of little bubbles. Nothing bad, just not super exciting.

S- Definite oakiness with light citrus and banana fruitiness. A pleasant balance between whiskey and a tripel.

T- Oak and bourbon lead the way with a rich, sweet creaminess fighting them back before a lemon flavor finish that sticks on the tongue.

M- Creamy and mouth filling. Let's all the flavors shine through and finishes reasonably dry.

O- Very drinkable and interesting at the same time. The oak and bourbon are strong enough to really enhance without overpowering or wearing on the palate.

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%

A = anticipation
S= great, but lets not dwell on it
T=life's short, cut to the chase
M=swallowed every time
O=will buy more

ok, the counter says that I must say more- ok, got it. If you are aware of being past 'half way' there, this beer might be for you. Time, sometimes, and beer, is all we have.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

If there is beer in heaven, you can rest assured that this brew will be on draft, there. It is an amazing, but pricey brew that requires special permission from my Mrs. of 35+ years for me to purchase. I would wax her car, put on a new roof, cut down trees, build a new deck, or complete just about any chore she laid out for me, just to earn that special permission. :)

As a perfectionist, I am not one to call many things perfect, but, as beers go, this is one perfectly perfect, brew. The deep rich color, the bourbon ale fragrance, the high end boiler maker taste, and the crisp, yet rich, sweet taste in your mouth, all says this is one, very special beer.

This, however, is NOT a beer that you would want to have in the summer time. Not that you wouldn't enjoy it, because, I believe I would, but, after some heavy chores in the hot sun, and stoping to enjoy a few pints of this, you can rest assured that not much else would get done that day. :)

It is one outstanding beer that you can be proud to server your best friend, your best client, your boss, or your future father in law. It is a pleasant beer for sipping, tasting, drinking, paring with any and all healthy or unhealthy foods. It is, as I mentioned earlier, a beer that will likely be on my expected brews list in heaven, assuming I get there. :)

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

World Class-ish!

I had this on a sampler flight last night and am referring to my notes on the bar napkin, BUT after reviewing the style characteristics, I upped my score from last night.

It poured a crystal clear straw color (bar lighting) with a full creamy white head that left nice sticky lacing.

It's aroma was of malts and intoxicating bourbon.

The flavor was rooted in malt sweetness with the bourbon on top and very little in the way of hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel was outstanding! It was medium bodied and moderately carbonated. It's pretty sweet although not real heavy, but at the end all of that fades away to an extremely pleasant lightly dry finish. It really goes through a neat transformation there.

Overall, I think it fits with the style pretty well. It's a little on the sweet side but probably one of the most pleasant beers that I have had.

1.5/5  rDev -65%