Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)
4.28/5
Outstanding
Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

First brewed back in 2004, Curieux was our first foray into barrel aging. To make Curieux, we take our Tripel and let it age in bourbon barrels for seven weeks. Once that time is up, we take the beer out of our cold cellars and blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting rich, golden ale features smooth notes of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

#650

Ratings: 3,822 |  Reviews: 917
3.55/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours hazy and the color of honey. Head is very small. Not a complete layer.

S-I was really expecting more here. It's not very intense. The barrel aging didn't do much for the nose. Of course, the oak is there, but boy is it soft. On the contrary, I really enjoyed how the nose is not violently yeasty like most Tripels. It has its goods and bads.

T-Pretty good. Pale fleshed fruit, honey and moderate spice. Again, happy that there isn't an excessive yeast boom. Sweet. Barrel aging again comes up short. Just mild notes of oak, vanilla and Bourbon.

M- Light for the ABV. Dry with some booze. Sweetness lends a sticky feel.

O/D-I have actually been waiting to try this for quite a while. I am disappointed. Lacks a hearty barrel-influenced flavor. I enjoyed its rather mellow degree of Belgian yeast, but the flavor is still a bit bland. High potential, low yield.

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

[poured into Gouden Garolus glass]

I: I've had the pleasure of enjoying this brew for a long time ever since my first encounter with it at the Black Boar bar in Eagle Rock. I've also enjoyed bottles with friends, but only recently have I had the opportunity to give a review.

B: [11.0% ABV. 1 Pint. 9.4 Fl. OZ. May 25th, 2012Release] I love the presentation of this bottle. Gives off a high quality/classy feel to it with the authentic an feel of the label texture to it's minimalist artwork/design. Some may not even assume that it's beer at first glance. All the information you can ask for is fit into one label. I really appreciate that you can clearly see the bottle date on the front of the label(many brewers make it hard). Overall, one of my favorite bottle presentations.

A: Light orange/golden body transparent body with white carbonated head(fast dissipation) and decent lacing(note: I suspect my pour may have been too aggressive or due to age (never had it this old)).

S: Smells of orange citrus, Belgian yeast, bread malt, oily/alcohol aroma. Reminiscent of some Belgian triples.

T: Orange citrus, some apple, light bitterness, spicy smokey/woody presence(due to the bourbon barrels), sweet bread malt complimented by warming alcohol. Alcohols presence increases with each sip.

M: Smooth slick/oily finish, low/med carbonation, full body, and apparent alcohol(sipper).

O: One delicious beer with a sense of calculation. What I love about this beer the most is with each sip the alcohols presence becomes more bold thus also enhancing the other flavors. I wouldn't recommend to newcomers, but this will truly be something appreciated among the experienced palate. Beer lovers should at least buy one bottle to store/age, and others should find it on tap. At $20.00 a bottle, it's something to have on special occasions. Savor Good Beer!

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

A-hazy golden color with a nice white head and some lacing

S-banana, malt, hints of yeast and bourbon

T-bananas, yeasty bread, malt, vanilla, bourbon

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth, alcohol well-blended

O-a delicious triple, the bourbon barrel adds nicely to the overall taste and balance

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

2009 bottle poured into a snifter. Served at room temp

Pours a golden color with a big 2 finger white head that never fades. Very nice brightness to the pour. Good clarity as well. Smells of dough, yeast, bourbon, and some funk. A lot going on with the nose. Taste is surprisingly smooth for the big abv. Some fruit comes through with sweetness. Mild notes of bourbon left in the 3 year old bottle. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and still well carbonated. Overall this is complex and great. Ages very nicely with the alcohol balancing with the sweetness.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to Patrickbrusil for the rocking extra. Poured from C&C to Duvel Tulip

A- Straw golden with subtle haze and ridiculous white pillowy head

S-Subtle vanilla, oak and bourbon play well with the sweet citrus-y and yeasty notes.

T- Wow, perfectly integrated sweet bourbon vanilla and oak with orange peel and cereal grain. The greatest compliment that I can give a beer is being assertive with restraint; this beer is the perfect example. All of the flavors are clean and bright without being overpowering or one dimensional. This is so well executed.

M-Viscous yet bubbly, very silky

O- Thanks Patrick, this was a huge win. I only wish I had a few dozen more.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

A - mirky golden with a hint of orange. lacing and good carbonation

S - sweet fruit with bourbon. some yeast

T - bourbon, slight banana , some pepper, (not hot), subtle sweetness

M - smooth and mellow, good bourbon mouth burn, yet mild. ABV is noticeable in my opinion.

O - Really really good. A delight to drink anytime, but especially after a long day at work.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

The label on the brew said that this was from the October 2010 batch and 750 cases were bottled. The brew poured with a one finger white head into my Rogue chalice. Every time I use these glasses, I think that are darn heavy. Anyways, the head dissipated and didn’t leave any lacing on the glass. The color is a light yellow with a hint of orange and presents with moderate carbonation. The body is clear. On the nose, I got a lot of bready and yeasty notes. Then, I get some golden fruit and sugars. I don’t smell much of the oak that I thought I would from being aged in bourbon barrels. On the taste, the first thing I say is, “Damn, this is a good beer.” There is a lot going on with this. There is a definite wood/vanilla characteristic, then the fruit, then some breadiness and spices. The alcohol, which is hefty at 11%, really only makes itself known on the finish, when it really warms the throat. There is light carbonation on this brew, which is perfect. The brew itself is lighter than I thought and not really syrupy. I love this brew.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%