Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)
Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States

Style: Tripel

First brewed back in 2004, Curieux was our first foray into barrel aging. To make Curieux, we take our Tripel and let it age in bourbon barrels for seven weeks. Once that time is up, we take the beer out of our cold cellars and blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting rich, golden ale features smooth notes of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

Ratings: 3,807 |  Reviews: 914

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

The label on the brew said that this was from the October 2010 batch and 750 cases were bottled. The brew poured with a one finger white head into my Rogue chalice. Every time I use these glasses, I think that are darn heavy. Anyways, the head dissipated and didn’t leave any lacing on the glass. The color is a light yellow with a hint of orange and presents with moderate carbonation. The body is clear. On the nose, I got a lot of bready and yeasty notes. Then, I get some golden fruit and sugars. I don’t smell much of the oak that I thought I would from being aged in bourbon barrels. On the taste, the first thing I say is, “Damn, this is a good beer.” There is a lot going on with this. There is a definite wood/vanilla characteristic, then the fruit, then some breadiness and spices. The alcohol, which is hefty at 11%, really only makes itself known on the finish, when it really warms the throat. There is light carbonation on this brew, which is perfect. The brew itself is lighter than I thought and not really syrupy. I love this brew.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

3.98/5  rDev -7%

A - The foam on this is almost three fingers tall and a little off-white, slight yellow. Some good lacing. Body is a mostly clear wheat color.

S - A nice sweet to this, almost cotton candy like. A little vanilla and banana. Very creamy.

T - I can't figure this thing out. A truly unique experience. The bourbon is there and forward (along with some alcohol). I guess it fits what it is going for, a bourbon barrel aged tripel. Vanilla, slight banana, a little clove, and some pepper.

M - Alcohol burn, drying, great carbonation and body, and goes down easy. Even though there is that alcohol burn, it still drinks very easy.

O - Like I've said, this is weird. But it is so drinkable and pleasant, that I can't put it down.

A- Golden yellow with a white head that sticks to the glass and stays there.

S- a beautiful mixture of whiskey and ale.

T- in my opinion this triple has no equal. The perfect blend of triple and barrel aging is seamless. Honestly not sure what more a whiskey lover would desire in an ale. Amazing balance that really leaves you wondering if this is really %11.

M- so smooth for %11. The after taste really leaves you wanting more and leaves the tongue saturated in Jim Beam.

O- best beer of all time, especially for beers that aren't seasonal. Bottle or tap, I've never been disappointed.

On tap at Village Draft House. Served in a chalice.

A - hazy orangish yellow with no head

S - coriander, pepper, fruity, funky, a hint of orange

T - fruity, spicy, banana, bubblegum, orange peel, serious booze

M - boozy, warm, full bodied, well carbonated

This is a really solid Tripel. The flavor is fantastic. There is no mistaking the alcohol content here though. You know what you've gotten yourself into. At some points I thought the booze overcame some of the more subtle flavor notes. Otherwise, this was a really good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

one of the better efforts from Allagash
Rich golden color
Heady/Yummy dark fruit nose
Heady and intense
Banana and pear fruit with a nice Bourbon (barrels from JB) presence, bit of vanilla.
Smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Good for a late evening beside the fireplace

Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) from Allagash Brewing Company