Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

First brewed back in 2004, Curieux was our first foray into barrel aging. To make Curieux, we take our Tripel and let it age in bourbon barrels for seven weeks. Once that time is up, we take the beer out of our cold cellars and blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting rich, golden ale features smooth notes of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

Ratings: 3,754 |  Reviews: 907

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Sneaky... a very sneaky beer.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Live review. The fourth of four Allagash 750 ML corked and caged bottles that I picked up at Rozi's Wine House in Lakewood. This one was $13.99. I was especially happy to find this since Tripels are my favorite style and this one is one of the highest rated ones out there. Bottling February 2008. Cases Bottled 650. 11% ABV. Poured into my gold rimmed Gulden Draak tulip glass.

A Bold golden yellow body (darker than the Allagash Tripel reserve that I sampled and rated yesterday under a similar fluffy white head of about 3 inches. Great lacing on the inside of the tulip and even some visible sediment (the yeast?) in the bottom of the glass. My second tulip glass (presumably from the bottom of the bottle) was darker than the first, probably due to the sediment. Allagash yet again displays its mastery of a style just in the look of this beer. 5.0

S Just a great smell of bourbon barrel aged goodness with the great sweet malt and Belgian yeast of the Allagash Tripel that admired in their very good Tripel Reserve. The bourbon smells really create a fruity, caramel kind of bigness to the beer that suits it very well. The smell cannot be improved. 5.0

T All of the promise that the smell displayed carries right over into the taste. What a great idea to take a great beer to begin with (the Tripel) and bourbon barrel age it. I had RIS Bourbon barrel aged in the past but this shows me that it should be done more often with "lighter" beers such as this tripel. The taste reminds me of Great Lakes Rackhouse Ale (another Bourbon Barrel aged light colored beer). For most the taste would likely be too sweet and the sweetness is high for sure but I love this level of sweetness. There is more "warmth" from the alcohol in this one vs. the Tripel Reserve. I love the combination of flavors here. There is a great light caramel like flavor from the bourbon and sweet malt. 5.0

M As suggested, really big and syrupy sweetness in just a great mouthfeel. 4.5

D For this high of an ABV it is insanely drinkable. I found the bottom of both tulip glasses very quickly indeed. Due to its bigness (taste and ABV) I cannot give it the highest ratings for drinkability. These two tulips will be enough for me tonight. 4.0

Notes: Simply a great beer from Allagash that everyone reading this should try. I can easily see buying one of the 650 cases that were produced in February 2008. Tripel is my favorite style and this and Weyerbacher Merry Monks are probably my favorite examples.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

Definitly one of the best beers that I have had. It is so smooth and flavorful. I love the sweet floral scent that you get drinking this from a snifter. The appearance betrays its power. It is a very light and hazy straw colored beer. It has a slightly sweet and malty taste with a hint of hops. It has a really rich malt flavor. The barrel aging has really mellowed this beer. No bitterness and no bite at the end. Just smooth and rich flavor.

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a pint bottle into a Duvel tulip goblet... a bit of celebration after finishing final exams :)

Came out a very hazy, almost opaque, orangey-ambery gold. Whispy, very thin head with some larger bubbles, but it's not terribly carbonated - head retention is poor, even in the scored duvel glass. Somehow, though, I can tell just by looking that this will be a particularly flavorful beer.

In the nose, I catch some hay and other various barnyard scents. Then the bourbon barrel becomes present, with some other fresh woody tones, followed by the rest of the familiar tripel scents - sweet, but in a sort of tart way.

After my first sip, I nearly dropped the glass it was so delicious. The barrel-aging is very evident, and adds just the right amount of spice to the natural sweetness of this brew. My favorite thing about Tripels is that they hide just how alcoholic they are, and while you can certainly taste a little (accented by the bourbon), it tastes nowhere near as strong as it actually is - leading to fine sip- and drink-ability. I fear I may have served it too chilled, however, as the flavors take a particularly long time to develop in the mouth. That, or this beer is just that thorough. The sweet, ever so sour/tart aftertaste is quite the pleasant reminder of every sip... or glass.

In the mouth, it feels far more carbonated than it looks. Whether this is by design or not, I'm not sure, but I like it. Goes down smooth but weighty, and will warm you up well. Based on taste and mouthfeel, exhibits excellent drinkability.

Might be my new favorite, as I continue to explore all available options.

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

On draft at Brixx pizza in Charlottesville, VA.

Thin head (small glass, and not poured by me) and complex lacing, like a fractal. Clouded golden body.

Citrus and tangy hops on the nose.

Taste is amazing. Oaky, smooth, sweetish, malty-- complex and excellent on several levels. Buttery, faintly citrusy; completely balanced and utterly luxurious. This is the taste of privilege. Clean finish and almost no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is rich and luxurious to mathc. Smooth-textured and creamy.

One of the best I've had this year. To nitpick, the smell was really unassuming, but I got a pour with a very thin head, so that may explain that. It's easy to see now why the bottles command such a high price, but it was quite reasonable on draft.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

One of the best beer i have ever had.
Beautiful head, lacing all the way down the tulip, just gorgeous.
Its a tripel aged in bourbon casks and it smells like it. I get the classic phenolic tripel smell with cloves, bread and a hint of bananas, along with the vanilla of bourbon,
Tastes amazing, classic tripel flavors, but so creamy so smooth with the oak and bourbon in the mid-palate.
This beer has the best mouthfeel of any beer i have ever had, so smooth and creamy.
I don't care if this beer is 16 bones a pop , i will buy several bottles every time i see it. One of the best beers i have ever had.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer is a beautiful hazy deep blonde gold color.

The aroma has a sweet caramel, barrel characteristic with oak, and sweet apricot. Lemon, spice. You can surely get that this what it is. Tripel that is barrel aged.

The taste has a barrel aged sweetness, Belgian yeast, fruity sweetness, lemon, pineapple. Then there's some rich flavors with oak, bourbon barrel with the coconut, vanilla.

There's a boozy finish as this is at 11% ABV. My favorite tripel so far. It's not your standard fare, but this really is spectacular.

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) from Allagash Brewing Company