Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)
4.28/5

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

First brewed back in 2004, Curieux was our first foray into barrel aging. To make Curieux, we take our Tripel and let it age in bourbon barrels for seven weeks. Once that time is up, we take the beer out of our cold cellars and blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting rich, golden ale features smooth notes of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

#601

Ratings: 3,767 |  Reviews: 908
2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

2.58/5  rDev -39.7%

Reviewed on 9/13/08. Bottle, May 2008. Pours a cloudy bright orange with a small white head that dissipates rapidly. Aroma of melon rind and sharp spices (some pepper, clove), and bourbon. In the flavor the bourbon really comes out with the tripel background. Not overpowering bourbon although you can certainly taste it. At least it feels like you're still drinking beer...I'm not really a fan of bourbon-flavored beers. This isn't the worst, but it's still too bourbony for me.
6/4/5/3/12 (3.0/5)

2.65/5  rDev -38.1%

On tap at Roman's in Milwaukee.

Dusty orange gold body with spritzer carbonation and a healthy white cloud atop.

Huge vanilla/oak aroma is surprisingly balanced out by a luscious tropical fruit medley of lime, apricot, papaya, and an abundance of peach skin.

Smooth and warming feel with a bit of an alcohol bite/burn. Tropical fruit flavors are overwhelmed by the boozey/oaky/vanilla character. I find the barrel aging to be a detraction from an already solid, albeit delicate beer. Some spice and hop bitterness manages to shine through the booze.

Drinkability is destroyed by the barrel aging.

Not my cup of tea at all, but I’m not that in to barrel aging of most beers.

2.65/5  rDev -38.1%

I heard great things about this beer. I was looking forward to tasting this beer and bought Belgian ale glass just for this. Poured from 750ml bottle. The appearance is something in between lager and pale ale. the nose is not as bad as the taste., This beer is something of cross between, Berliner weise, Pilsner and Belgian ale. I am not sure that the fuss is about it. It's over hyped, over priced. There so many pother great beers from Firestone and Stone brewery.

2.66/5  rDev -37.9%

2.68/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Corked and caged 750 ml bottled October 2004, pours cloudy golden yellow with a nice lasting head of large bubbles, good lacing in my glass. Sweet fruity and bourbon aromas, smoky and woody flavors, the bourbon taste almost overwhelming at first but mellows throughout, medium bodied with a fairly smooth mouthfeel, not as carbonated as most tripels, finishes dry. At 13.99 a bottle no thank you.

2.74/5  rDev -36%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The bottle was about a year old and tasted like old beer as well. It states drink within a year though. Triples are really my thing anyway.

2.76/5  rDev -35.5%

Appearance - Is unfortunately my favorite part of this brew. Pours a beautiful golden, amber color, while an almost cotton white head develops. The lacing disappears fairly quickly, but a nice wispy cover remains.
Smell - The alcohol dominates the scent here, there is also a powerful odor from the bourbon barrels, not much more to it.
Taste - Was also dominated by the alcohol and barrels, not much else can even get in, disappointing for Allagash.
Mouthfeel - A surprisingly light and fluffy initial hit, but the alcohol quickly takes over a sharp feel.
Drinkability - Again, the booze just overpowers everything in the brew, making it tough for me to finish a 750ml.

Disappointed because I love Allagash....

2.78/5  rDev -35%

December 2010 bottling.

A-Pours a hazy blond/orange color with with a half-finger fine-bubbled white head

S-Smells a little tart like a lambic/wild ale with light hints of apple and pear.

T-Big bourbon heat with some tart, cidery notes with a pronounced bitterness.

M-Really quite light bodied with a very present alcohol warmth and a very drying finish.

D-I thought the bourbon barrel-aging might make this tripel more up my alley, but this is just really not my thing. There is no body or malt presence to compliment the bourbon.

2.85/5  rDev -33.4%

I had to admit this Belgian style triple with oak aged Bourbon casks was a bit dissapointing. Not much of the characteristics they mention in the product came through in the tasting (oak, vanilla, caramel/toffee).

The beer also from a mouthfeel and taste is a bit lacking as well compared to other tripels I've had. No big heavy fruit or breadyness that I was expecting, also the beer felt to heavy on the alcohol side compared to other tripels whose body and taste profile could mask the alcohol I've had. It's a good beer but I found it hard to drink, and felt it really needed to be paired with food, you couldn't just casually drink it.

2.87/5  rDev -32.9%

Man, I was really looking forward to this bottle. I'm wondering if I might have gotten a bad bottle. I heard binny's can produce a bad bottle or 2, because if this is how it normally tastes, it is wayyy overpriced. Color was the best part, nice light murky orange. I smelled almost nothing at all on the nose. Tasted like alot of bourbon, which i do love me some bourbon forward beers, but thats all I got, nothing else. Not much hops, lightly carbonated. Like I said, I think I might have gotten a bad bottle, because this was very unimpressive if this is the norm.

2.88/5  rDev -32.7%

On tap. Pours a hazy light gold with a creamy white head that leaves nice lace. Smells strongly sweet and fruity, but with plenty of oak and whiskey as well. Banana and citrus. Expected spiciness from the typical tripel yeast. Tastes of sweet, grainy malt, yeasty light fruit, and strong bourbon. It's surprising how much the whiskey comes through. Some oakiness and spice there as well. For me, the bourbon character doesn't work well at all with the flavor of a tripel. Between the dijointed flavors and the high ABV, this one doesn't drink very easily.

2.89/5  rDev -32.5%

To put it simply.

There is way too much bourbon flavor in this beer. It tastes like they took a regular beer and added a shot of jim bean to it.

The aroma itself is somewhat pleasant. I enjoyed smelling the beer at least.

I would reccomend this beer to try at least once, but thats about it.

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Overall the intensity is pretty mild. Strawberry and 7-up spritzer. tart candied oranges. Fruit smoothie (mix of bananas, berries and apples). Whiskey sour.

Taste: Slightly sour-orange woodiness with a pinch of alcohol burn and slightly stale white wine up front. Slowly melds to a middle which is dark citrus, faint light bourbon alcohol and semisweet with a white wine edge. Finish is dry white wine and is moderately fresh and citrusy.

Notes: While tripels are a beer that is often wine-like, this ends up more like and exact replica of white wine. Really didn't get the bourbon/vanilla notes that everyone else is talking about....maybe since its was on draft?

2.93/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a lift caramel color that is somewhat opaque. Nose brings forward a god dose of light bourbon along with some caramel sweetness and bread. Sligt spicing. The taste just doesn't really work for me, with some strange bread and banana interacting with the bourbon. It sounds good, but just isn't very appetizig to me. Mouthfeel is a bit boozy and thin. This one just did not work for me.

2.96/5  rDev -30.8%

750ml 25.4 Oz. bottle. Split with buddy and poured into my Duvel tulip. Had this bottle over a year hoping the bourbon would "mellow" a little with some age since trying my first bottle.

Appearance: Nice rich head which remains over time, very good lacing throughout.

Smell: Bourbon up front, dominant, very little else on the nose.

Taste: Again, bourbon, all about the bourbon, "bourbon uber alles". All other flavors are pretty well masked. Unlike bourbon barrel aged stouts like KBS and Cuvee Delphine where the bourbon is a component in a multi flavored balanced brew, here the bourbon is too much and does not allow the Tripel characteristics to surface at all. This also makes the alcohol noticeable.

Mouth feel: Alcohol burn but otherwise decently smooth.

Drinkability: Too boozy to make a sessionable beer, one and done, glad I was splitting the bottle.
Again, could have been a much better brew if the bourbon aging added "A component" rather the being "THE component".

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) from Allagash Brewing Company