Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

Allagash Curieux was the first foray into barrel aging. Curieux is made by aging our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam bourbon barrels for eight weeks in our cold cellars. The aged beer is then blended back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting beer is soft with coconut and vanilla notes, with hints of bourbon.

Added by Todd on 04-05-2004

Reviews: 891 | Ratings: 3,680
4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured on cask

A: Pale yellow with slight one finger head. Fairly shiort retention and leaving some light lacing.

S: Wine, bourbon, Begian yeast, banana, and a touch of clove

T: Follows the nose with a mix of wine and bourbon while showcasing typical tripel flavors.

M: Medium body and average carbonation. Finish is a little hot and slightly sweet

O: Excellent beer and the cask presentation was spot on.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

very good bourbon notes along with the classic tripel flavors. the bourbon is restrained and doesn't tip the balance. the awesome coconut and vanilla still manages to come through

Over the years on BA, I've given several perfect ratings while others have never given one..

"The perfect beer can never be achieved...", they say...

"No beer is worthy of a 5 rating!", they exclaim...

Well.... Guess what?

Just gave another one... and this one is as worthy, if not more so, than all of the others...

Here's the catch.... I've had this beer before... several times actually... How I haven't reviewed this is a mystery to me.. Every time I drink this, I enjoy it more and more and I'm finally giving it the recognition that it so richly deserves in my eyes..

Along with La Fin du Monde, this is easily the best tripel on the planet... It's gorgeous to behold in a St. Bernardus chalice... Glowing golden as if it's been touched by King Midas himself... Lovely active carbonation... Perfection...

Heavenly aromas of Belgian yeast, sweet pears, rich coconut, crisp apples, fleeting aromas of bourbon... they blend to create a sublime sensory experience... If I could capture this essence, I would wear this as a cologne and fend the women off as best I could... Remarkably fragrant in the manner of that first whiff of the hyacinths blooming out front... Incredible...

Sweet and yeasty up front followed quickly by a wave of bourbon, coconut, and booze... Intoxicatingly delicious, this beer is a star and knows it... a man amongst boys if you will... It's potent flavor profile has me reaching time and time again for the glass as I type away at this review... the finish is long and slow and luxurious with the yeast and fruit holding on for dear life...waiting for the next sip...

I'm convinced.... Allagash would be the brewery I would choose to distribute to my state without a doubt. I've sung their praises to friends for years now and this beer just serves to prove my point... Everything those guys do is on a different level than others....

This very well could be the longest review that I've ever written but this beer is worth it without a doubt...

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Served in a tulip at Jimmy the Greeks in OOB.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a golden yellow with great clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Frothy lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Banana, apple, pear, vanilla, bourbon, pilsner malts, coconut, and warm boozy alcohol.

Taste: Wow, wow, wow. This beer tastes delicious from year to year. Awesome blend of above aromas.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, super delicious, light to medium bodied, lightly chewy, light warm booziness, and barrel flavor.

Overall: I've had this beer a lot over the years. Awesome, drlicious, and never gets old. I'll revisit this soon.

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I have had this on tap and bottle and notice that the bottle is yeastier and more complex. The only problem is that this has become too many people's top tripel and that has driven up the price to the point that I'm not comfortable buying it anymore and, instead, will look for better value in tripels.

Tried again five months later (after a retail chain ran a special price)... While Curieux probably was worth the money at full price, it certainly is worth it at 25% below retail. Just a very enjoyable tripel. (But, no change in rating.)

Deservedly on the "1001" list.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served in a flute glass from a 750ml bottle.

Appearance: Hazy gold with medium to heavy bubbles on the body. Head (which is white) is subtle rising to roughly quarter of an inch. Lacing is sticky, dropping a bit uneven after a sip.

Smell: Yeast and cinnamon with light mix of honey scent.

Taste: Alright you have something a little extra with this beer, honey and raisins and a double shot of yeast. You have a butterscotch sweetness to it with a light vanilla note...super complex.

Mouth: Sticky, rye bread meshed with raisin bread and little sour at the end. And yes I said it...it's sticky.

Overall: Very good brew, little different than a lot of beers you will have but honestly a written Godsend. My last brew before I get married...Salud!

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2-11-16 (750ml, Long Beach) yeasty mushroom thing which is a hallmark for many Belgian style beers, some spiciness as in nutmegish, a note of vanilla, finishes clean and high alcohol content doesn't get in the way of the flavor, overall very good

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm less than a year into my journey through the rabbit hole we call craft beer. When I began this journey last summer I really didn't know what I was looking for, and I wasn't really ready for the joy in the results. In any case, sometime around August I made a list of beers that I wanted to try that included KBS, Darkness, BA Yeti, Dark Lord, and Curieux (see picture). Since then, I've drown myself in KBS, stocked up both regular and BA Darkness in my newly founded cellar, indulged in a variety of Yeti options, and struck out on Dark Lord. Curieux had sort of been forgotten, a ghost that I was sort of aware of in the corner of my eye, but not floating in my full field of vision. Until last weekend when my wife and I took a Sunday trip to Chicago to enjoy the Field Museum on a day when a portion of the crowd would be busy watching some sort of foosball game or something. After the museum we stopped by Beer Temple, a hell of a bottle shop if you if get the chance to go, and one of my favorite Chicago stops. Long story short, Curieux was on the shelf!

The bottle was shared with friends during a board game night. A 2013 bottle of BA Speedway was also in attendance so, suffice to say, it was a good night. My initial reaction to Curieux was to be impressed by the smoothness of the brew. We talk about silkiness from time to time, but I haven't had a lot of beers that really brought that image to mind as much as Curieux did. The beer wraps itself around your tongue and gently holds you in a warm embrace. That silky, almost buttery, caress is accompanied by a brilliantly blended combination of tastes fold through your mouth with vanilla, coconut, a touch of breadiness, and a slight hint of bourbon from the 8 weeks of aging.

My regret from the experience is that I neglected to purchase more than one bottle, but at least I'm now armed with the knowledge that this beer should never be left out of my sights again. Do yourselves the favor of finding this bottle and sharing it with friends, you won't be sorry.

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite beers from time spend in Maine. I got to check out this brewery several times while I lived in Maine and this beer on tap was something else.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy golden, with a small white head. Smell and flavors are of Belgian yeast, spices, warming alcohol, pears, and plenty of bourbon, vanilla, oak, almost a white wine like character. Delicious beer. Super creamy mouthfeel, medium low carbonation. Allagash's best? It's certainly up there.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

October 31st, 2014 bottling, 11% abv.
Yeah.
Hazy orange, fluffy white head, quickly dissipates. Sweet, yeasty, mild bourbon and oak. Like the fruit and the balance. Feels good. Great beer!

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a straw yellow, with a thick creamy white foam head. Smells like mild spice, banana, honey, light stone fruit, caramel, earthy yeast, and light cedar wood. Tastes like honey, light spice, banana, light peach, wheat grain, light grass, bourbon, vanilla, with mild caramel and wood notes. Feels medium bodied, creamy with moderate carbonation. Overall a balanced and well crafted bourbon barrel aged tripel.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled September 2015.

Look: A beautiful golden yellow with a thick white head.

Smell: Spices, vanilla, clove, and oak.

Taste: Didn't get a ton of taste from the barrel. Vanilla, oak, and spicy on the back-end.

Feel: Medium bodied and very little booziness.

Overall: Was expecting a little more for the price, but still a very good Tripel.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excellent Tripel. Pours a hazy dull color into my Chimay goblet. Big, delicately bubbly white head with minimum lacing. Head retention is good, leaves a covering on the glass for a long time. Excellent aroma of white wine, oak, Belgian yeast, pepper and coriander. The taste is more of the same with the addition of the traditional apples and pears fruitiness. Plenty complex, but still overall a delicate blend of flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth and rich, the oak is the unique feature here that adds a little bitterness to the beer. Alcohol is well masked, as is fitting with most great Tripels. Expensive but worth it!!!!

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Expensive beer that gets its highest marks for the barrel-aging being more of a subtle complement to an already outstanding tripel, as opposed to dominating and overwhelming. Maintains the characteristics of a great tripel - golden effervescent body with a pillowy head; aroma and taste of coriander, banana, pepper and pear. The bourbon makes itself known at the back end with real subtle notes of vanilla, smoke and wood. I would've liked a little more muscle - the taste was 90/10 tripel/bourbon. My last sip was close to being washed out. Great beer, but I wouldn't try again due to the price.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle into a small pint glass (multiple pours)

A - Frothy, tall, off white head that dissipates moderately slowly. There is some serious carbonation to this beer. Bubbles are vast in quantity and rise extremely quickly, almost like champagne (which makes sense with a corked bottle). Cloudy, yellowish copper in color. 4.25/5

S - The first notes to reach my nose are coconut and pear. Yeast with a hint of banana ester is also present as well as a hint of clove. Slight oak as well with a bit of vanilla. 4/5

T - Sweet caramel right off the bat. Right after the caramel comes vanilla, coconut, and oak (which is expected due to aging in Jim Beam barrels). Pear is also present as well as a mild yeastiness. Sourdough bread makes an appearance right before the alcohol kicks in along with the banana and clove. Finishes very boozy. Very clean tasting beer. Flavor and booziness do not linger long at all. Flavor is completely gone by the next sip. 4.5/5

M - Carbonation burn is very noticeable with the beer retaining a very light feel. Slight drying astringency on the back end from the hops and ABV. 4.5/5

O - Awesome beer. High ABV really allows the flavors to come out and perform a nice dance for your tastebuds. I generally am not a huge fan of bourbon barrel aged beers but this one is a massive exception to that trend. 4.25/5

4.09/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy golden,bubbly head and a good amount of carbonation streaming to the head.smells of bananas,honey,vanilla coconut,and very faint spices.like all barrel aged beers some traits become nullified,some get enhanced.the spicy part of the tripel yeast is canceled out and the sweetness is turned up.but the hop character makes it dry but refreshing.the tongue mouth and taste is dominated by a soothing smooth light honey met with delicate notes of vanilla coconut and light cloves.extremely extravagant beer,delicate.deserves a tulip glass but for an 11 % it tastes like 8

3.69/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I would have guessed wine barrels instead of bourbon. Soft, slippery body of a tripel, hazy golden wth full fluffy head. Barrel aging takes over the flavor, adding some sour flavors to the mix. Normal tripel spiciness, floral essences. A tripel with a twist.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml c&c bottle dated 7/8/15 into a tulip at cellar temp.

Look: surprisingly pale yellow orange, with a medium head that persists and leaves good lacing.

Smell: orange, spice, vanilla.

Taste: lots of vanilla, orange, and spice (maybe coriander), plus caramel, banana, and oak. Has a bit of what I can only describe as a sickly sweetness that I also get (and dislike) in most Scotch ales.

Feel: fairly thick, but not unpleasantly so, and with good carbonation.

Overall: enjoyable, but probably not something I'd want again. At $17+ for the bottle, the heaviness and sweetness are enough to make me want to seek out other options.

4.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured bomber into snifter style glass. This beer is a favorite of mine when I want a little bourbon with my beer without all the alcohol. Pours a dark copper with amber flecks and a head that lasts against the glass. Real definite smells of vanilla, smoke and oak that sets up you palette for what is to come....drool initiated.
Taste is very well balanced and the alcohol is not the first thing you taste....very well balanced considering 11%. Would like to see with four roses single barrel or woodford reserve barrels as well

4.06/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pronounced "cure-io" like "cheerio"(??) Anyway, pours a golden copper body with residual white head. Smells like sweet bourbon! Vanilla, oak, and caramel :) Taste is definitely boozy, like a buscuity-malty bourbon. Vanilla and coconut notes are pronounced, and coriander and clove is far in the background. Being a tripel, I wish the coriander was more noticeable. Mouthfeel is super creamy (like frothy bourbon) and very smooth. Very pleasant for such a steep beer. Overall, glad I experienced it, but not eager to purchase another. Also, this is definitely a sipping beer! 10oz had me feeling a buzz lol. Thanks Allagash for your bold, Belgian experiments :)

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I very much enjoyed this one from Allagash. Poured it while it was cold and the nose wasn't great, but as it warmed it really opened up. As a huge bourbon fan, I thought it was a nice addition to their tripel. Even at 11%, it was very smooth with little to no alcohol burn. Definitely worth a shot, especially if you're into whiskey. I'll be getting another soon for a nice treat.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look: Golden orange. A bit cloudy. Decent head and good lacing.

Smell: Orange, malt, sweet. Oak flavor with hints of vanilla. I didn't get any coconut as other reviewers have. The bourbon is well noticeable.

Taste: Orange and sweet malty. The vanilla not as strong as on smell. Oak some hoppy bitterness. Strong but smooth.

Feel: High carbonation and high alcohol.

I split a bottle of this with a friend and it still knocked me down. The bourbon came through quite heavily in this bottle. Very tasty, but take it in small doses with friends.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber poured into chalice

Hazy yellow with a fluffy white foam cap

Great aroma of tropical fruits, bourbon

Taste of tropical fruits, bourbon, vanilla and the oak.

Great beer, worthy of a repeat.

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The barrel imparted flavors are far from subtle on this beer. Some vanilla, bourbon and wood stick out. A very boozy tripel where the yeast imparted flavors take more of a back seat than usual. Beer is dry, a little tart, and complex. Definitely a beer to sip and contemplate rather than drink at a normal pace. Lots of carbonation and color is a brownish yellow.

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) from Allagash Brewing Company