Odyssey

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
OdysseyOdyssey
Notes: Allagash Odyssey is a dark wheat beer aged for ten months, a portion in oak barrels and the remainder in stainless tanks. The recipe includes 2-row barley, malted wheat, a generous amount of roasted barley and Belgian candi sugar. This deep brown beer boasts an aroma of black treacle and raisin. The flavor hints at dates, with a mildly roasted finish imparted by aging in both medium and heavy toast American Oak barrels. The finish is dry, punctuated by vanilla.
Reviews: 424 | Ratings: 1,242 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by rhhjr:

My brother Joseph passed away this weekend at the young age of 27. He was my best friend and brother in life. This was one of his favorite beers, he always wanted me to try it. I found one tonight and cracked it in his honor. I'm not in the mood to review specifics, I will only say he was right, this is one of the best BSDA's I have ever tried, possibly the best. This beer goes beyond complexity and flavor. It is amazing. One of the few beers I've had worth 20 bucks a fifth and I've had a bunch. Seek this out and toast to a great BA'er Joseph London-he would for you.

Much love Joseph, I will never stop missing you brother.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Another brew from the most generous trader NutBrown. Thanks Alan!

1 year old as it was bottled September 2008.

A nice pop when I removed the cork, it pours a clear deep amber brown colour with about an inch of offwhite foam. When I hold the glass to the light, I get some ruby red highlights. The lacing is top notch so overall...a beautiful looking brew in my New Belgium goblet.

The smell makes me audibly say...oooh. I'm getting a ton of caramel malt sweetness, dark fruits like figs and maybe plums or rasins or both, some fine oaky goodness, man. Oh and when I say a ton, I don't mean it literally as the nose is not overpowering by any means; I just mean there's so much complexity that my nasal passage doesn't know which way to turn. ;^)

First sip...is the wow! Nice caramel malt sweetness that is immediately balanced by dark fruits, raisins and figs and slight tartness, goodly amount of some bready malt and....a very nice flavour from the oak that isn't too bold and brass so as to take away from everything else that is going on here. Allagash did one hella good job with the oak aging here!

The mouthfeel is on the low side of medium with the carbonation defintley low but it suits this brew to a T! The foam shrinks quickly during the session as does the lacing but at no time do they completely leave the scene. That warms the cockles of my heart. Speaking of warming...

Drinkability? Sitting here, enjoying every sip from my glass, I would have never guessed this puppy weighs in at 10%abv. Want proof? I never mentioned anything about alcohol, abv, warming, etc in the taste area of my review. To be honest, this "feels" like a brew with a much lower abv content. More like 6% or 7%abv at the most. How the hell did they do it?? More importantly, I'm super glad that they *did* do it, by what ever means. In my book, this garners top score for drinkability.

Bottom line: Great looking brew with a nose that will grab your interest from your first whiff, for sure, the splendiferous taste, the lightish but smooth mouthfeel, and the exceptional drinkability....all in all, this brew just blew me away!

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Dark raspberry tea with a great deal of carbonation leading up to a gorgeous cap of golden ecru froth that filled more than half the glass on the pour. Backlighting brings out wonderful ruby highlights that make a fantastic looking beer look even better. Now this is how a BSDA should look.

The aroma is impressive. It was merely good initially, but with warming has acquired a power and a complexity that mirrors the flavor profile. With a wee bit more vividness and more definition, it could easily compete with the best Belgians. Hell, it just might do so now. I smell figs, tobacco and ground clove above all else.

Odyssey is amazingly delicious beer! Rarely, if ever, has my mouth been so awash in so many flavors that change from the beginning of each mouthful to the end. I've only had a few samples so far, but this might be the best BSDA that I've ever had. I bow before the brilliance of Allagash.

I'm not even sure where to begin in attempting to describe what I'm tasting. First off, this beer eschews power for nuance. That isn't to say that it isn't absolutely bursting with flavor, just that it's so refined and so angelic in the mouth that one doesn't feel as if they're being bullied the way that some big beers tend to do.

Sweetened fig puree, sticky dates, raisins, the finest oak-aged single batch bourbon, light molasses, dark toffee, plum jam, pipe tobacco, cloves... and on and on and on. Even though there's a considerable amount of sweetness, it doesn't come close to sticky or cloying. Like just about everything else about this beer, the sweet-bitter-sour balance is sheer perfection.

I originally felt that the mouthfeel was a tad too light to be deserving of the ultimate score. No longer. I can't imagine a more heavenly mouthfeel than the one greeting me with each and every sip... now that I'm well into the middle of the bottle. It's such a perfect (there's that word again) combination of suppleness, silkiness, light chewiness and buoyant carbonation that no other score is possible.

Allagash proved long ago that they're one of my favorite breweries in all the world. No other American brewer so reliably recreates the classically Belgian styles, and oftentimes meets and surpasses the best that that country has to offer. Simply put, Odyssey is an outstanding BSDA and is one of the best beers of any style that I've ever had the pleasure to drink.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at Boneyard Bistro in Sherman Oaks, CA.

Pours a clear copper color with a khaki head that settles to a thin cap. Thick rings of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, toffee, and wood with some nutty aromas. Taste is of malt, toffee, brown sugar, wood, and alcohol. There is a noticeable alcohol warming in the back of the throat after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a light crispness. Overall, this is a very good beer but I enjoyed the taste more than the smell.

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottled January 2014; consumed August 5, 2016.

A: Poured from the 750 ml bottle into a Chimay chalice. Body is dark brown - almost black (though some ruby hues are noted here and there when backlit) - with a 1-finger khaki-colored head on top. Despite the dark body, carbonation is visible as bubbles rise along the side of the glass.

S: Some dark fruit, roasted malt and a hint of smoke. Not a terribly strong nose, but what's there is appropriate for the style.

T: First impression is the dark fruits - a bit plummy and/or pruney. A bit of burnt brown sugar is noted, along with some cocoa - and Coca-Cola. Finishes with a wee bit of vanilla, but otherwise the oak aging isn't much evident in the taste. The 10.4% ABV (noted on the bottle) isn't really evident at all.

M: A little bit thin and watery, which is a surprise. Makes it an easier drinker, however - and given the high ABV, dangerously so.

O: This is quite good. Curious as to whether the 30 months or so of age on this one have hurt it much, or whether it's allowed the booze to moderate and so may have helped it.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.77/5  rDev +12%

I loved this beer. They need to make more. Being a limited it has run out in the various stores I frequent.

Pours a very nice ruby black. Nice carbonation and head.

The smell is wonderful. Knowing this was their dubbel I was not expecting the aroma. Toffee, vanilla, oak, molasses. Definitely says take a drink.

The oak is definitely up front in the tast. Welcoming and complimentary, not overpowering. Toffee, molasses, vanilla, wonderful belgian candy sugar presence and a nice alcohol warming effect as the beer comes to room temp.

This is an immensly drinkable brew. When the brewery released a few cases at a crazy $20 a bottle I had to go back and pick up a couple more to continue to enjoy this beer.

If they make it again buy as much as you can find and enjoy!

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%

2008 vintaged 750mL. Yeah, I know I should wait, but I don't wanna.

Pops with almost no fanfare, but immediately smells of ~scotch~. Yes, I know smell is the next section. Body is very, very dark, with only the slightest red-orange colour when held to the brightest light I can find in my parlour. Head was easily coaxed up and is a fairly light colour.

Back to the smell - oak, but the lovely old sort . . . like scotch. Big, fat, medium and dark malts. Chocolate, more oak, once it warms - like bourbon (new oak). Very dry, chalky. Banana and coconut, but only just. Fennel?

Taste is quite tart, peppery, very dry. Tons of coffee as it warms. As bourboney as you can imagine, and so much more, but it all dissolves into a warm melange that's hard to describe.

Feels amazingly light on the tongue for the volume and colour. Little coating and almost no stickiness. Carbonation holds up well even with great stretches of time.

It's not often that a beer leaves me reasonalby without words to describe it. My only regret about this beer is that I don't have two more to drink in 2010 and 2012 . . . yet. Back to the store!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Dark, chocolate hue with a massive off white head that leaves moderate lacing. This one has the most ridiculous heads I have ever seen on a beer, rivaling Duvel's head. Nice.

S: Semi sweet chocolate malty goodness. Alcohol is faintly noticed as well.

T: Mild chocolate and graham crackers with a mild alcohol finish. It's almost like a liquid, alcoholic s'mores.

M: Smooth, rich thick and creamy. Nicely carbonated, but not overly so. A pretty thick and heavy brew. Next time, I cannot be greedy and must share it because it sure is filling!

D: Drinkability is somewhat limited due to the richness and thickness of this brew, and also the high abv. This would make an excellent dessert beer. I will definitely get this again and share it.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

December 2011 corked and caged bottle