Allagash Odyssey | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Allagash Odyssey is a dark wheat beer aged for ten months, a portion in oak barrels and the remainder in stainless tanks. The recipe includes 2-row barley, malted wheat, a generous amount of roasted barley and Belgian candi sugar. This deep brown beer boasts an aroma of black treacle and raisin. The flavor hints at dates, with a mildly roasted finish imparted by aging in both medium and heavy toast American Oak barrels. The finish is dry, punctuated by vanilla.

Added by Todd on 01-30-2005

Ratings: 1,232 |  Reviews: 422

My brother Joseph passed away this weekend at the young age of 27. He was my best friend and brother in life. This was one of his favorite beers, he always wanted me to try it. I found one tonight and cracked it in his honor. I'm not in the mood to review specifics, I will only say he was right, this is one of the best BSDA's I have ever tried, possibly the best. This beer goes beyond complexity and flavor. It is amazing. One of the few beers I've had worth 20 bucks a fifth and I've had a bunch. Seek this out and toast to a great BA'er Joseph London-he would for you.

Much love Joseph, I will never stop missing you brother.

A.. Beautiful dark brown with a good amount of thick head. Lace remains throughout.

S.. Various fruit notes as well as cloves perhaps. Sweetness without being candy sweet.

T.. Subtle and very complex fruit flavors. A maltiness that was not expected but us beautiful; not a bread-like malt flavor, just a delicious flavor. I am almost speechless.

M.. Easiest high ABV beer I have ever enjoyed, this one goes down smooth and quiet, despite being above 10%.

O.. Perfection.