Allagash Odyssey | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Allagash Odyssey is a dark wheat beer aged for ten months, a portion in oak barrels and the remainder in stainless tanks. The recipe includes 2-row barley, malted wheat, a generous amount of roasted barley and Belgian candi sugar. This deep brown beer boasts an aroma of black treacle and raisin. The flavor hints at dates, with a mildly roasted finish imparted by aging in both medium and heavy toast American Oak barrels. The finish is dry, punctuated by vanilla.

Added by Todd on 01-30-2005

#885

Ratings: 1,236 |  Reviews: 422
3.45/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Served in a snifter at Bigby's Pour House.

Quick poll: Ulysses or Odysseus? Anyway, this stuff pours a lightly-hazy sienna topped by a finger of glowing off-cream foam. The nose comprises earthy berries, light maple syrup, and dry biscuit. The taste brings in more of the same, though now the berries are less tart, everything is generally sweeter, and some strong notes of oak make themselves more than known. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, an alright beer, but one that just seems too scattershot, too schizoid, to be truly effective to my tongue. Frankly, I'm glad I've held off on buying bottles of this in the $15 or so range...

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

I've been waiting since February to drink this. I love Allagash brews, but maybe my expectations were too high. Anyway, aroma was about what I'd expected. Definitely could smell oak and vanilla. The oak seemed more pronouned then others have noticed. To me this didn't have the mouthfeel of a Strong Dark Ale. Didn't really notice the alcohol. I brought this to our neighborhood New Year's Eve party as I'm the beer geek in my neighborhood. I thought this was my chance to convert some of them Mick Light drinkers. We had started with a St Bernardus Tripel, which every one enjoyed. "Wow, this stuff is really good, what else did you bring?" Unfortunately, the Odyssey didn't go over that well. Maybe it was the oak, but I was underimpressed, as well. Not a bad beer, but not great.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

bottled in October, 2006 - poured into a glass chalice.

Pours very dark brown. The thin head soon becomes patchy.

The smell is winey/vinuous. Grapey with sugar candy sweetness. Subtle hints of oak.

The taste is of sugar candy, grapey wine, and vanilla. Sharp alcohol notes that smooth out over time.

The feel is creamy. A bit too light at first, but gains more of a body as it warms.

This one is different - I'll give it that. For me though, it's too sweet and wine-like.

Edit: Bottled in Jan. 08 - reviewed in Sept. 08:

Adjusted scores by .5 higher on all but drinkability.

It does have some chocolate notes that I picked up this time to add to complexitity. Body is still creamy, but yet sharp. Alcohol sharpness, oak/vanilla and vinuous (with some sourish grapey notes), in a red wine way, dominate. An interesting brew - a slow sipper. I enjoyed this bottle more than I did the first one I reveiwed. I noticed a few more subtlties and some more creaminess, but still not overly thrilled.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

Reviewed 8/19/2009 (Bottled January 2008):

Pours a very dark brown colored body, with a big creamy tannish color head. Lasting. Fruity aroma, some dark fruit, and some lightish fruit too. Some fig, and some alcohol too. Some roasted notes, and maybe some chocolate. Very strong aroma, kind of funky. Roasty, woody taste. Some wood taste, probably the oak barrel. Some smoke too. This could age in taste very well. Very carbonated. Not sure I really like the taste. A little harsh now, maybe in a few months or years it would taste better.

3.49/5  rDev -17.7%

Bottle dated July 2009. Pours a ruby red/mahogany brown with a light brown head.

Aroma is sweet caramel and raisin with a faint alcohol heat.

Taste upfront is sweet brown sugar, caramel, raisins. Finish is sweet--raisin, apples, little wood and vanilla.

Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Overall a good beer, but kind of one-dimensional. Raisin and brown sugar sweetness most prevalent. Barrel-aging could be emphasized more. Not a lot to describe. Wouldn't have again at the current price-point.

9/3/2011