Allagash Interlude | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Two yeast strains were used to create this unique 9.5% ABV Belgian style ale. The first, a Belgian farmhouse yeast, establishes the flavor foundations of a classic Belgian-style ale. The second, a house strain of Brettanomyces yeast, brings it to the next level contributing an intriguing myriad of flavors including pear, apricot, graham cracker, and bread crust. Finally, a portion of the Interlude is aged in French Merlot and Sirah oak barrels, which impart a distinctive vinous plum character and a drying, almost tannic finish.

Added by brewandbbq on 01-15-2006

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 453

This is by far my favorite beer. I first found it three(?) years ago on draught at The Dive in Worcester and immediately I fell in love with it.

It has a nice rich color, slightly tinted red. It's a little surprising at first. It has a tang about it that I have yet to find in any other beer. It's on the sweeter side of beers but not overly sweet.

It's super hard to come by, I have not been able to find a bottle on shelves, try as I may. I think that's attributed to the fact that it's just so delicious and it's only brewed in very small batches. I have been able to get it when it's released to The Dive/Armsby Abbey, it'll last for about a week once a year, and one time at The Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston, in 750mL bottle form last year.

I know I should go on about how wonderful it is but I'm running on empty right now.

Most likely the best beer I have ever had

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden orange into a tulip; fine white one-finger head.

Smell: There's lots going on here, but I can't identify all of it. There's a definite funk to it, and tart cherries come through across the top.

Taste: Wow. I will confess that I was overwhelmed on the first taste. The tartness comes through loud and clear, but it's not overpowering as it sometimes is in a grand cru; here it's more subtle and just tasty. The Brett provides a funky hop backbone that I just love. Follow George Clinton's advice and let the funk flow through.

Mouthfeel: Fabulous. Medium-bodied with high carbonation, which is spot-on for this beer.

Drinkability: It's a good thing I had only one bottle of this because I would have drunk it until I lost consciousness. It's that good, and although you feel the high ABV, the tartness makes it so quenching that it goes down smooth. If it's not obvious, I really like this beer and, even though it may not be for everyone, would urge everyone to give it a shot at least once.

Poured into a Unibroue tulip from corked and caged 750ml bottle courtesy of the fine folks at Frisco's Grille in Columbia, MD.

This is exceptional, absolute beer drinking Nirvana. The beer, a hazy luminescet gold. The head, pale white and thin, touches of lacing grip the glass. The aroma, decadant, with shades of currant, plum, red wine, spice. The flavours, lightly tart, vinous, orange peel, currant, earth. Beautifully done....

Allagash Interlude from Allagash Brewing Company