Tripel Ale

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Tripel AleTripel Ale
Notes: This strong golden ale is marked by passion fruit and herbal notes in the aroma, with suggestions of banana and honey in the complex palate. The Tripel has a remarkably long and smooth finish.
Reviews: 989 | Ratings: 2,931
Reviews by Tricerahops:
4.24/5  rDev +1.9%

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A gorgeous hazy golden that glares at you like sunlight. I got a nice bubble bath of head that retained as a frothy ring of lace throughout.
Aroma: Lovely fruity smells that reminded me of peaches and pears.
Taste: Delicious blend of tastes. Malty and fruity sweetness combined with alcohol. Mild hops and spices evident in the finish. As the drink warmed I detected a grape like taste that reminded me of a white wine.
Feel: So drinkable! Moderate carbonation that tingles the tongue when cold. Medium bodied and filling like a meal.
I have rated Allagash highly on every occasion. This is no exception. Perhaps my favorite Allagash yet!

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Translucent, hazy straw with a fluffy white head. The retention isn't great, but there's lots of lacing.

S: Smells of banana, pear, apple, honey, lemon, cracker, straw, honeydew melon, white grapes, white wine, clover, coriander, and clove.

T: The taste follows the nose. Green apple, pear, banana candy, and lemon peel upfront. Cracker, honey, and a hint of alcohol warmth in the middle. Honeydew melon, white grape, vanilla, and passion fruit in the finish. Finishes dry and spicy with lingering notes of clove, coriander, pepper, grass, and oak-like tannins.

F: Medium-full body, carbonation is bright and smooth, the beer is dry, effervescent, and drinks like a charm. The alcohol is ridiculously well-hidden.

O: This is absurdly good. This is on par with its Belgian counterparts. Truly a work of art!

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I love this style. Malt-forward, sweet, fruity and deceptively alcoholic, Tripels are much more fun than other Strong Ales. A golden translucent body and a minimal white head, this beer looks like hard cider, but the nose is herbaceous, spice-y, and clean, like a fresh salad. The first sip is a surprise: PASSION FRUIT. Tropical fruit sweetness up front, along with a big malt profile (barley blend), honey, and black pepper. Complex! As the beer warms, I get more banana bread and sugar cane. Mouthfeel is strange–really smooth and creamy with a crisp, bitter finish. So much happening at once...imagine like a farmhouse + pilsner combo(??) Dangerously smooth for a 9%. Overall, I love the experience of this beer, as well as it's bourbon barrel-aged cousin, Allagash's Curieux. WILL BUY AGAIN!

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Simply amazing. I lived in Germany for three years (2014-2017) and had the good fortune of being able to drink some of the finest biers Europe had to offer. When I got back I looked forward to trying some of the newer craft brews made here back home. A lot of them have not been my stein of bier. THIS however, the Allagash Tripel is the by far now my favorite. This very smooth, I love the color and feel, however I was expecting a bit more flavor *but I am by no means complaining).

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of Allagash's easier ones to find.
This time and actually every time I've ever had this, it was always in a tulip or a chalice.
The appearance was a sturdy glossy burnt orange almost copper color with a finger's worth of white foamy head that glistened and slide off at an adequate pace. Sly lace.
The aroma had a nice blend of the base Belgian malts smoothly penetrating some light tones of honey, coriander, "iced apples" - somewhat green apples, Belgian yeasty character, light clove and a light blend of all in the aftertaste.
The flavor was moderately sweet touching down on a tart edge and then subjugating all of those qualities into the aftertaste.
The mouthfeel was crisp and tight riding along a medium body and having a respectable carbonation that played with the ABV adequately.
Overall, always a respectable Belgian Tripel, well worthy of coming back to.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I had the 750ml bottle with the cork present, and poured it into a Belgian wheat beer glass.

All I remember was having a reaction of: "Wow, this is an amazing brew!". The taste was fruity, malty, smooth, hints of german hefe (banana), crisp, effervescent, and far too delicious. This is one of those beers where you love the taste so much you end up drinking the beer quickly and you get punished for it. That 9% abv will do serious damage especially because you can't taste the 9% at all. You would swear it was 5%.

I've had this beer twice now and in my humble opinion this beer should get the designation of "world class" beer. I've had the best beers in the world. Many beers I've had that unfortunately I forgot to review while tasting it. This beer to me gets everything right. Looks amazing, smells amazing, mouthfeel is perfect, ABV is hidden like a magician's trick, and last but certainly not least: its so delicious! This beer I'd drink all the time if it didn't cost an arm and a leg. This is a masterpiece. I know a masterpiece when I taste it and this has the "stuff". My rating probably should be higher and I may edit it for a higher score. It should be within my top 5 favorite beers. That's how special this beer is.

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

OH YEAH. This is what I've been waiting for. Finally, a tripel to displace La Fin De Monde from my #3 Tripel spot. This has the light, not to sweet, but sweet, tropical, but not IPA, complex, but yet discernable greatness that makes me want to quit work and drink it all day. I put this right behind Westmalle Trappist and the famous Westvletern 10 (good luck getting that one). The only thing off is the look, a bit cloudy, imo. The rest is top of the world Tripel stuff.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

For me it's just too difficult to assign any cerebral number system to this one. Just so perfectly, deliciously balanced. I can't name a single icky or off-putting thing about it. If I could easily procure it in my state (grrr/boo/hiss/harrumph!!) it would certainly be a mainstay. A monthly keg exchange program would suffice.

And admittedly, I'm also a proponent of its barrel-treated exponent, Curieux.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Batch #66. Faintly foggy lemon with the merest hint of tangerine juice. The muffled gunshot during cork removal and the expansive head would suggest a well-bubbled beer, but it doesn't appear to be excessively carbonated to my eyes. The glistening pearly white head is a pillowy, softly creamy, yet sticky masterpiece of foam. The beer/head combination is clean, bright, simple... and simply outstanding.

Tripel Reserve's nose is indistinguishable from the noses of some of the finest tripels in the world. Yet again, I'm amazed at this brewery's skill in recreating authentic 'Belgian' ales in the states. Sweet-and-sour fruity with bushel baskets full of peaches, pears, apples and all manner of golden fruits. Not as bold or as clove spicy as some of my favorites, but remarkable all the same.

Phenomenal beer! I've gained an appreciation for this style over the past year or so and I can tell with one mouthful that this an impressively well-crafted tripel. If I thought the nose was bursting with orchard fruit (it is), then what word can I use to describe what happens on my tongue each time I take a drink? Explosion? Detonation?

The beer is thunderously fruity, a flavor and a sensation that is made all the more immediate by one of the most well-cloaked, yet sneakily powerful ABVs in recent memory. That is precisely why I love this style as much as I do; the combination of fruit, spice and alcohol that, when done right, is transcendent like nothing but the most resinous hop bomb.

Even though the clove and white pepper spiciness isn't overly prominent in the nose, it's present and accounted for on the palate. Not too much... not too little... but juuust right. The deeper I get into the bottle and the closer the beer gets to an estimated 60 degrees, the more I absolutely love it and the more I realize that its flavor profile is flawless.

The body is solidly medium for the style and doesn't quite match the flavor for bigness and boldness. That's not a knock though and I hate to even assign such a mundane word as 'medium'. The mouthfeel's airy, softly silky, supremely smooth, lightly syrupy nature seems a contradiction in terms, but the tactile/textural contrasts are fascinating and give the beer an incredible amount of mouth interest. I've chosen to use drinkability to reflect how badly I want another bottle. Badly. Very badly.

Tripel Reserve is, without question, the best domestic tripel that I've ever had and is second only to Tripel Karmeliet on my 'best of style' list. It's yet another bright star in the Allagash firmament and is a testament to their commitment to brew incomparable, endlessly fascinating, decidedly delicious, tremendously drinkable beer. Anyone who doesn't include Allagash in their 'top-10 breweries in America' list has a screw loose.

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

n the docket: 750ml cork & cage Allagash Tripel Ale, bottle date: 8/6/15.

Poured into: Chimay etched chalice

S: A quickly rising, stark-white whip of head formed on the surface of a nearly Ticonderoga #2 pencil-colored body. The head will settle down, clinging to the top in a ¾ thumb-width. Tiny bubbles zip to the surface. There is a visible cloudiness in the body, but this treat was bottle conditioned, so that’s just fine by me.

A: Light, malty sweetness works in partnership with a dry, spicy note of clove. Gentle banana and bubblegum (and I mean really gentle) yeast esters also emanate from the head. A mild fruitiness (Allagash says passionfruit). Spicy, earthy hops probably feel overlooked, but I waved at them, made them feel appreciated.

T: Dry clove spice and an earthy, husky/straw flavor meet your senses immediately. One will also detect some sweetness from the malt and the candi sugar. There’s certainly a little fruitiness in the mouth, too. Peach? Apricot? Mango? I’ll chalk that up to the yeast. Honey wends its way into the flavor. The hops and the higher alcohols show up in the finish. It’s a slight warming tingle, but by no means unpleasant. Tripels are dangerous– light body, great flavor, and well-integrated alcohol. This one comes in at 9% abv. Take your time with this cork and cage beauty.

F: Light, fluffy, tingly, and like they said on the bottle, a long finish. A great sipper.

O: An excellent interpretation of a cherished Belgian style by an American brewery. High marks to Allagash. If you think this one is good, try their barrel-aged releases.

Suggested food pairing: Rich creamy Blue cheese, Italian or clove seasoned pork-loin, fruit tart or maybe even a slice of apple pie a la mode

S: 4.25 A: 4.5 T: 4.75 F: 4.5 O: 4.5

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pale yellow-gold, washy thin head. Aroma of meek Belgian yeast, honey, loam & citrus peel - nice, but feels a bit timid. That classic Belgian, earthy yeast flavor is more prevalent on the palate, balanced again with some sweeter notes of honey & mild fruity esters. Finishes with an herbal kick that could be smoother. A good rendition but not lacking.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

The beer poured a hazy yellow color wtih an explosive head that falls to just coat the beer. The nose had a nice citrusy orange and lemon to it along with some good sweetness. The flavor is also good, with an apparent alcohol and a good orange and a good spiceyness from the yeast. The feel was relatively thick, and nice. The drinkability was good as well, not an easy drinking beer, but I don't think it should be.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

750ml.
$4.94
Sam's Downers Grove

Batch #94

Allagash Tripel Reserve a hazy golden that turns straw when held to the light. Tiny carbonation bubbles rise quickly to the thin wispy white cap that sits up top. Really not much in the looks department.

The aroma makes up for the lack of appearence. Sweet rip peaches and tangerines start things off. Biscuity malts are faint and in the background. Hint's of candi sugar come forward. There's a zesty sweet snap in there from the tangerines.

Flavor is similiar to the aroma with ripe juicy fruits coming from every direction. Sweet tangerine zestiness up front with a mild dusty yeastiness. Candi sugar and mild alcohol come through mid palate but are quickly overtaken by juicy peaches on the finish. Very nicely done.

Lively mouthfeel with prickly carbonation and a zestiness that awakens the tastebuds. Each sip leaves me wanting another.

Easy drinker for the abv involved. Refreshing and tasty.

A solid offering from Allagash that has that X factor I can't put my finger on but keep wanting more. Very nicely done.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance - bright golden color with fluffy white head

Smell - banana, clove, ginger

Taste - banana is most prominent upfront, also in the mix are ginger and coriander

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, high carbonation, sweetness upfront, spices come thru after that initial blast of banana, finish is slightly imperfect/rough around the edges

Overall - adequate American version of a Belgian style tripel. Certainly worth a try for fans of the style

Price Point - $11.99/4 pack 12 oz bottles

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750 ml corked bottle, batch # 56
Poured a hazy, golden, yellow. Bubbly, 2finger carbonation that drifted down to a small layer through out. Had a spicey, fruity, malt smell. Lots of belgian yeast tastes. Pear like sour flavor with spicey peppery notes, and warming alcohol going down. Lingering sweet flavor in mouth. This is another delicious allagash. I hate to say it, put it went delicious with pizza as well as vanilla ice cream. What a diverse flavor savor!

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

12 oz brown bottle

Allagash Tripel filled my snifter with a cloudy/hazy gold color that had a slight orange cast and produced a 1-finger white head that dissipated a little faster than I expected. Spotty lacing was left behind. The nose is dominated by light golden fruits and is somewhat understated when compared to the exceptional flavor. Speaking of the taste, it is fruity; of peaches, apples, bananas, and pears with light honey in the mix. The clove and pepper spiciness is a little understated when compared to other first-class Tripels…however, it is not too little. The [9%] alcohol is hidden masterfully with a light pleasant warming that very lightly builds as consumed. Mouth feel is smooth and creamy with light-medium carbonation.

Allagash Tripel Ale is delicious and a tremendously drinkable Tripel. A fine job Allagash…Top Shelf!!

Tripel Ale from Allagash Brewing Company