Allagash Tripel Ale | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

This strong golden ale is marked by passion fruit and herbal notes in the aroma, with suggestions of banana and honey in the complex palate. The Tripel has a remarkably long and smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001

Ratings: 2,778 |  Reviews: 954

2.76/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Hazy golden color, like an IPA, with a moderate but very impressive head and tons of lacing.

S: A very sweet, malty smell. If taken alone, this is a feature that doesn't necessarily count against this beer but it's not the best smell because it's so sweet.

T: This is, hands-down, the worst Belgian-style beer I've ever had. No hops worth mentioning, terrible malts. I poured over half of this beer down the drain, because I literally couldn't stand to finish it. Why? It's way, way too sweet. This beer is like drinking a soda that is way to sweet, and has gone flat.

M: And that's the other problem. Not enough carbonation, period. If you're going to make a beer with this bold a sweetness profile, you need to make it drinkable so it's not just sitting, stagnant in your mouth and making the drinker (myself) nearly gag with discomfort.

D: This was a drain pour for me, I'm embarassed to say. Someone told me that I needed to try anything made by Allagash because everything they make is so good, but I'm afraid to try anything else at this point. Maybe when I'm feeling adventurous I'll try a different brew of theirs.

To close, my statement would be that you can get a much better tripel from North America (La Fin Du Monde) and pretty much anything from Belgium is going to be an order of magnitude better than this. Westmalle, Konings, St. Bernardus, Chimay, all of them make Tripels that define this style and make it great. This beer is a terrible attempt and I would highly discourage trying this without hearing from the aforementioned masters first.

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%

750 mL corked and caged bottle of batch #42. Served slightly chilled into a Maudite glass as it resembles the Allagash one. I also hoped to treat my glass to something better than the swill if last contained.

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow topped by a sizable white head. A 3:2 ratio of liquid to foam. Head shrinks to a layer of bubbles on the surface. Nice little globules of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Nicely complex nose. In order of dominance: pepper, lemon, coriander, honey and yeast. Hints of grapefruit and orange.

Taste: Initial sharp mettalic pepper twang followed by some unpleasantly herbaceous medicinal flavor on the finish. Fairly sweet with a hint of lemon. Alcohol not masked all that well.

Mouthfeel: Leaves an unpleasant cottony feeling in the mouth, possibly due to the alcohol warming it.

Drinkability: I had some problems finishing this bottle. I pondered tossing it, but it wasn't that truly horrendous. The drinkability is severely hampered by the off taste and mouthfeel.

Other: I think something might be off with either my bottle or the batch. Was my bottle too young, mayhaps? I'll give this one another shot sometime down the road.

2.81/5  rDev -32.3%

Pours a cloudy golden amber with a quarter inch of lasting head.

The aroma is very earthy with yeast and some fruit.

The brew is too thick and syrupy in the mouth. It tastes of fruit--banana, notably--hops, and alcohol.

I didn't enjoy drinking this much at all, and I doubt I'll give it another go.

2.81/5  rDev -32.3%

It said taste from a wide mouth glass, so I went with a goblet.

A - A touch cloudy, but rather translucent for a Belgian style ale. A murky yellow color. The head was about a half inch after the pour and lasts throughout drinking. Lots of carbonation.

S - Weak sweet aroma. Maybe a slight hint of banana. I'm not impressed.

T - Spicy but not very flavorful. It almost tastes flat or skunked.

M - Carbonated with a bite. Finishes crisp.

D - No thanks, I might not even finish this 750ml bottle.

2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Ap. This brew is a cloudy golden yellow with a small white head.
Sm. Very strong spicy, lemony, ctirisy aroma.
Ta. Follows the smell with a spicy lemony flavor with some sweetness in there somewhere.
Mf. Light, unremarkable.
Dr. It certainly goes down easily, but there are many other beers I'd rather have.

2.91/5  rDev -29.9%

A big three finger simple white head with uniform bubbles that are somewhat small. Dark buttery gold color not very cloudy fairly clear and a very soapy shampoo like appearance. Some retention.

Bouquet is a good spicy/sweetness with mild yeast. Faint orange citrus but not much else and not particularly obvious on smells.

Taste becomes fairly hop dominant with very little chew or sweet tones, and a fair alcohol sharpness on the finish. Medicinal bitter finish with little body, and a rotten fish taste. Too obvious on alcohol for the ABV. I am not to keen on wanting more but I've had worse.

2.92/5  rDev -29.6%

750ml bottle. Batch #42
Pours a cloudy golden color with a fine white head, silky lace and nice pearling. The head diminished rather quickly – leaving a fine film. The clouding reduced some, but never completely cleared. Aroma of fruit and very yeasty—not very complex or aromatic, but still pleasant. The taste was tart with some sweetness and a dry biting finish. The mouthfeel was rather flat – not a lot of body and quite one-dimensional.
IMHO: Not a lot of character or body. Numerous qualities that can work in a well balanced beer were either under or over represented. It looks as if there have been other batches of this beer that have been much better.

Allagash Tripel Ale from Allagash Brewing Company