Allagash Tripel Ale | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Tripel AleAllagash Tripel Ale

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: Tripel

This strong golden ale is marked by passion fruit and herbal notes in the aroma, with suggestions of banana and honey in the complex palate. The Tripel has a remarkably long and smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001

Reviews: 939 | Ratings: 2,688
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

a: Cloudy straw colored yellow in color. Pours witha medium sized very fluffy looking white head.

s: Pleasantly sour yeast aromas and some floral hops are the most noticeable here. Mild clove/pepper and a bit of alcohol are also present.

t: Dry sour yeast flavors with some mild sweet maltiness upfront. Faint very ripe bananas and some floral hops hit next. The alcohol is discernible but mild given the ABV.

m: The carbonation does an excellent job of filling the mouth. Nice syrupy texture also.

d: Thanks to alhrabosky for splitting this with me. I'll certainly be seeking more Allagash in the future.

Batch #73 - 750 mL bottle

On a recommendation, I was going to pick up a bottle of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue). Then I saw it was $9 & change. Certainly worth the price (going by the reviews), but I did not feel like spending that much on top of the other beers I was going to pick up. Instead, I got a bottle of Allagash Tripel, another beer I've been meaning to try. On with the review....

Appearance - A nice frothy head, and the standard golden color of a Tripel. Notably, this was a darker color than other Tripels I've had. Nothing notable, but nothing bad.

Smell - If you wanted to give someone the idea of what Tripels generally taste like, without the individual take brewers have on them, then a strong whiff of this is all that is needed. The subtleties don't stand out in the aroma, which is nice because it allows the finish to express them.

Taste - I was taken aback at how well crafted this beer is. The banana aspect is downplayed a bit, with a nice yeasty-honey flavor. Not very complex, but that's part of its appeal. Still, there is enough here that sip after sip, you notice slightly different things about it. A rare perfect score. As much as I like more complex beers, this beer perfectly captures Tripels that I would not change a thing.

Mouthfeel - Extremely smooth for a Tripel. Well carbonated, with a lighter body than I'm used to.

Drinkability - Considering how heavy Tripels tend to be, I can imagine knocking a few of these back without feeling overwhelmed.

Considering the price, this beer is an absolute steal. If you see it at your local distributor, pick it up. If not, you might want to consider shopping elsewhere (okay, a bit of a hyperbole, but you get the idea).

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Pour: A cloudy pale yellow. Nice white foam head which held on and did not disipate too fast.
Smell: Slight fruit smell, mix of orange and lemon with a slight spice undertone
Taste: Very smooth with light fruit flavors of orange and lemon.
A very good Tripel. Highly recommend.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours hazy gold with a one finger white head, with good retention and lacing. the aroma has peaches, apples, cloves, Belgian yeast, and candy sugar.

Tastes much like it smells. there are peaches, apples, cloves, Belgian yeast, candy sugar, phenols, pepper, and citrus hops for some bitterness. Nicely balanced.

Light bodied with above average carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden, and there is very little aftertaste from a very flavorful beer. This is a definite winner.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L: Poured from a 700 mL corked bottle into a tulip, pours a hazy gold with a frothy white head, about a finger's worth of foam. Plenty of lacing occurs as well.

S: Biscuit and malt, french pastries almost come to mind, spice as well.

T: Classic semi-sweet malt on the nose as is typical with the style, that fades into a slight amount of hop-like citrus almost, some tropical fruits in the mix as well such as banana and mango, finishes with a nice peppery bite at the end. Hides the 9% ABV extremely well.

M: Medium bodied, with the proper amount of carbonation for a tripel.

O: I would like to think of Allagash's Tripel as the benchmark for how a tripel should be. There isn't anything about this beer for me that is particularly mindblowing, but it does so many things well that you have to appreciate this beer. I would make it a point to find it whenever its on sale.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Uberpilsner? Looks like it with a very pale gold body and billowing virginous white head. Smells kinda like pils hopping too! A little musty, metallic, and pearish, but adds a small playful yeast note that tells me that this is going to be one subtly complex beer (I hope). Oh hell yeah. This one is smooth beyond belief. Alcohol is present in flavor, but not overly so. A little bit sweeter than I would like, this leaves a little residual sugar on the tongue. That little slickness as well as a bit of grape in the flavor reminds me of a white wine. I think the spicy nature of this brew is its real beauty. The phenolics fit in seamlessly next to the continental hops. Herbs and spices all seem represented here, though I don't dare try to name them.

Overall a great beer. As a brewer friend of mine liked to say, this is "spot-on." Very enjoyable despite the face that this is not my favorite style. Although I would still prefer one of the two great Unibroues or the Westmalle, I look forward to having this again.

Cheers Allagash!

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Batch 64- noticed a later batch number on my buddy dbalsock's review, so I guess mine had aged for a bit.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a big frothy head that has amazing stickage abilities.

Smells of alcohol, sugar, banana.

Tastes- a really mellowed-down tripel taste. Some sweet candy tastes. Alcohol is EXTREMELY well-hiden. Seriously. Maybe helped by the apparent aging.

This is the most drinkable tripel I've had so far. Simply amazing stuff. Allagash gets a big thumbs up once again. Could drink their dubbel and tripel all night- now I need to try more stuff from them.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look - a super hazy golden ale with a frothy white two-finger head that dissipates quite quickly. A nice ring of bubbles sticks around with some effervescent, silky lacing lining the glass with every sip.
Smell - the Belgian yeast dominates here with notes of clove and, to a lesser extent, banana as well as some hints of pepper, honey, and bready malts.
Taste - pepper and clove seem to be most prominent, but I get some sweet banana and bread as well as that honey.
Feel - great carbonation, medium body, and very smooth, almost viscous, finish.
Overall, this is one of the best tripels I've had. This particular bottle is over 6 months old, and I feel like it differs (slightly worse) from the bottles I had earlier this year from the same 4-pack. But it still packs a solid Belgian-yeast punch that hits you in the nose and the mouth. I would just prefer more body to the beer, which again, might be due to the age of this particular beer because I feel like it had more of the characteristics I look for when I had it fresh.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Got to love great head. This beer pours, looks, and smells like cool delicious nectar. Cloudy amber/gold. Sidestep the lemon/clove monotony to reward your face with peach, orange blossom and cantaloupe. This is a bounty of exotic fruit and flower, I guarantee you will taste honeydew on this and that is something to get excited about, is it not? Choose your favorite expensive fruit and you can probably find it here. Guava? Check. Lychee? Double check.

Those delicious Belgian off-notes are abundant here, but not in an overly sweet or cloying way. They balance off with peppery spice and alcoholic tang.

I have so much awe at the mouthfeel of this ale, so much that I'm not sure I can describe it. It is full but veers on dry. Not sticky but soft in finish and not sharp. I think to understand more I will have to finish the 4-pack, by far the most excellent way possible to package this kind of classic ale. Top marks for that.

There is a lot here to like and ponder. I might enjoy a bit more tang, but for a Tripel this hits that band-aid mark damn well without being obnoxious.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Poured at basement temp in flared glass

A: semiclear orange; great head and great lacing; wonderful bloom of head
S: grape and grapefruit; citrusy and light
T: classic Belgian trippel; very spicy: nutmeg, allspice, and a hint of banana

Overall, a fantastic trippel; cheers!

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

A- Translucent, cloudy and golden yellow. Loves to bubble. Produces no lacing but a nicely formed three finger head that is very persistent.

S- Sandalwood, spice and flowery scents that suggest highly of jasmine.

T- This can't be beer, let alone a 9% abv beer. Where's the sinus-crinkling alcohol? The first notes that hit are a sweet grapefruit taste mixed with a tart berry note like cranberry. A very gentle bitterness floats around that does more to highlight the sweetness of the complimentary flavor notes rather than overwhelm you with a full-on hop assault. Letting this linger in your mouth a little more brings out the alcohol pinch, but even that is subdued. Aftertaste is heavenly-- I don't feel like I've just ingested a glass of wheatgrass juice or liquefied lawn clippings, instead it feels like what one feels like after eating some clementines or tart apple.

M- The carbonation has a funny way of being very strong the instant it hits your tongue, but swiftly changes into a velvet blanket.

O- Not only have I never had a bad beer from Allagash, I've never had an Allagash beer that could merely be considered "acceptable" or "adequate." This is a fantastic, complex beer. I can't praise it highly enough.

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

Batch #54

Appearence: Pours a slightly hazy orange with a massive white head.

Smell: Smells fruity and creamy, with huge spice and clove notes. The most interesting and intriguing tripel i've smelled to date.

Taste and Mouthfeel: 9% alcohol? You're kidding me! It's nowhere to be found while tasting it. All I can taste is fruity goodness mixing with a sweet, juciy malt back. The mouthfeel is creamy and fun.

Drinkability and Overall: Damn near one of the best big beers I've had to date. Thank God I got 12 of them... so I have 11 aging. As far as drinkability, I was pretty tanked after just 1 750 ML bottle, so I don't know if I could have another. This is my first attempt at Allagash, and I must say I'm stunned.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I figured a little "tune up" would be in order to prepare for the upcoming Belgian Beer Festival next month. Checking the DBF, I was pleased to see this gem hiding in the back.

750ml corked and caged bottle. This is from batch #46.

A: Moderately aggressive pour yields a snifter of beauty. Massively thick...billowing stark white head erupts to stand atop the chill-hazed bright golden-colored nectar beneath. Lots of fizzies glide up from the bottom and sides of the glass. "Soap suds" lacing all over the glass.

S: Incredibly complex array of scents drift up and out of the glass. There's ripe cantaloupe, fresh orange rind, chunks of pineapple, vanilla beans, and candied sugar. Amzing.

T: Such a smooth and well-balanced beer. Many of the scents translate into the flavor. Orange, some ripened dark fruit, delicate sweetness. Woven into this tapestry of flavor is an undercurrent of spices. Almost peppery in character, they lend a wonderful touch to the overall impression on the palate. Initally sweet on, the middle beefs up the spices and slides into a short-lived dryness that is very clean and crisp. For such a beefy-thick brew, it leaves the palate quickly.

M/D: There's a lot of fizz to this one, but it's a real palate-coater...yet it manages to finish crisp and almost dry. Too cool. ABV weighs in at 9%, yet you hardly notice it. There's nothing harsh or unbalanced in this anywhere in the tasting profile. Fantastic.

Notes: I am waiting on pins and needles to try this on tap next month at the BBF. A hearty "Hell Yeah" for the gang at Allagash!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from bomber into a Stein, This was the Allagash Tripel Reserve(which I have gathered is an alias for their Triple Ale) Batch #183

Appearance: Cloudy Golden Amber color with about 3 fingers of white head, little to no lacing.

Smell: Sweet smell, almost like a banana type smell, I could not smell a lot of hops.

Mouthfeall/Taste: Sweet taste with a hoppy after taste. Smoothlight bodies and well balanced.

Overall: Very enjoyable beer, I could sit down and drink a lot of this brew at a time. Have to admit I drank all 2 pints of it I had in about an hour, did not want to share it.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Batch # 31. A pleasant surprise. Pours a deep golden color with a magnificent, bubbly head that retains well in proper glassware. The nose is full of fruit and yeast at first, with notes of spiciness prevailing as the beer warms up. Taste is similar, with the spicy notes taking priority. Quite effervescent and prickly on the tongue and an excellent pairing with food. The alcohol in this certainly has its warming effects, but it's hard to notice it until the beer is long gone. To be sure, a great American-brewed tripel.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I found this on tap. It came to me a cloudy, dark blonde with thick foamy head and nice carbonation. Aromas are citrus (orange, lemon), yeast and slightly spicy. Light to medium bodied and fizzy in the mouth. Feels a little creamy. The taste is fantastic. Fruity and mildly spicy and sweet, with a little bitterness after the swallow. Very well balanced with no single flavor jumping out. I like higher ABV beers and I barely notice the 9% alcohol in this one. It drinks real smooth and easy. I will definitely be buying some bottles of this. It's a real nice beer experience.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

This is my second beer review, so bear with me here. Since my relatively recent introduction into the world of craft brews, I have found that Tripels are my favorite style of beer. I have tried to experience as many different tripels as I can in order to get a feel for the style. I have had some of the best, as well as some of the worst (IMO) – and Allagash's Tripel Reserve definitely ranks near the top of the list of best tripels. This is a delicious beer - regardless of style. I will be reviewing batch number 86.

Poured a 750ml into my Chimay chalice.

Appearance - Golden/Light Honey/Orange in color. Decent amount of head - 1 1/2 finger amount. Good head retention.

Smell - A great aroma that is not at all deceptive. It smells just like it tastes – delicious. I am still not very good at pinpointing scents and flavors, but I think I smell malt, a lot of different fruit, a small amount of spice, and a hint of candy sugar.

Taste – Extremely well balanced. A friend of mine described it as “a journey of flavors”. You can taste each of the flavors as they come. None are competing against each other, each of the flavors just ease into the next one. I can taste lots of sweet malt, yeast, candy, a little bit of hops, and a small citrus kick. I hardly even notice the alcohol.

Mouthfeel – A medium-ish body and almost the perfect amount of carbonation. Goes down really smooth and creamy.

Drinkability – I can drink a few of these (if I had the money and the time) – almost too easily. And then the ABV hits.

If you haven’t tried this brew yet, make sure you do sometime during your beer drinking career. This is a delicious American interpretation of my favorite style of Belgian brew.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance- Pours a beautiful orange-amber color with a thick white head.

Smell- Wonderful citrusy smell with hint of alcohol.

Taste- Same as nose. Nice citrus taste. A bit tart like a grapefruit.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with medium carbonation.

Drinkability- Fantastic beer. Wish we could get this in New Orleans.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz bottle poured into an Allagash cervoise.

A - Pours a crystal clear straw color, with a ton of carbonation swirling like a vortex or funnel which feeds the 3-fingers of ivory head. Of course, the head has the consistency and retention of other Allagash beers; that is, frothy and thick, like cream, and a long-lasting presence. The lacing is great as well with foam covering most of the sides.

S - The nose is heavy with spice and fruit, more specifically clove and banana. There is actually quite a bit of depth here, with strong yeast phenols, lemongrass, crushed black pepper, and citrus. A touch of alcohol astringency arises near the end, but overall this is an addicting beer.

T - The taste is a melange of flavors, from sweet, to spicy, to somewhat sour as well. A citrus profile leads the way, with oranges and tangerines, before a strong clove, honey, and wheat influence cuts it short. This lingers for a while, before ending with a spicy finish. Each sip brings a new aspect to this beer, with more and more enjoyment stemming from the results.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with high carbonation. Prickly yet clean on the palate, this finishes dry to whet the palate even more.

D/O - Drinkability is high. This definitely ranks high up on the list of my favorite Tripels, especially ones domestically produced. It has all the subtle complexities of an authentic Belgian while being more accessible (however, living in Pittsburgh with no Allagash distribution, authentic Belgians are easier to come by). My final thought at the end of the glass was: "A 12oz bottle isn't enough for a beer this good". I am kicking myself for not buying the 750ml one.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

batch #69. when you see 61, 70, 66 and 65 on the shelf with 69, isn't there a clear choice? 750ml.

pours a bright and very clear hearty-piss yellow. steady stream of carbonation and airy head that condenses to a respectable cloudy coating of soft foam. yeasty aroma cut with just the right amount of sweet citrus and earthiness. beginning stages of butter add just the right hint of golden cream. first thing observed upon tasting is the grassy crispness.. the carbonation plus the moderate, fresh hop levels equals refreshment.. and for 9%? continues along the earthy path, digging up some dirt and flower stalk flavors. malty sweetness is there, but at a restrained level.. providing just the right counterweight to the orange/lemon zest. lingering heat duels flawlessly with the slight hint of diacetyl.. holy crap, if this isn't the most perfectly balanced american belgian (notice i said american, not NORTH american) style ale, my name isn't jesus christ. pristine sipper.

allagash- you please me very much. keep making good belgians. the world needs more.

Batch 102.

A- Very clear, crisp, and golden. Some streams of rising carbonation give way to a beautiful, fluffy, white head. Leaves some excellent lacing.

S- Bready, zesty, with some noticeable Belgian yeast. Light and crisp. A little floral. Very good for a tripel.

T- Bready, zesty, lemony. Complex while being very impressive and enjoyable. The alcohol is warm and slightly noticeable.

M- Very crisp and clean with good amounts of carbonation. Light but not foamy at all.

D- Very enjoyable. One of (if not the best) tripel I've ever had.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

The Allagash Tripel pours a deep golden and gives a shaving-cream head that had me looking for a razor. There were hints of pear and some spicy notes, all of which seemed like they had the potential to improve with age. This big beer carries a warming 9 percent alcohol. Unlike the dubbel, which brewery workers have found peaks at one to two years, this one has greater long cellaring potential. A Maine brew that measures up well to some of the greats from Belgium.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip. This bottle is labeled as batch #142.

Appearance: quite hazy light golden yellow hue with tons of apparent effervescence and a huge white head. Very nice, though a bit lighter than most tripels I've had.

Smell: rich, sweet malty aroma with a little bit of wheat. Not particularly complex, but very nice for what it is.

Taste: epic and delicious. Malt, apples, pears, even some light cherry and other berry flavors. Not terribly bitter but a very light hop flavor. Excellent.

Mouthfeel: for me, perfect. Beers like this are why I love tripels and Belgian pale ales. Medium-thick body with huge carbonation makes for a velvety, extremely creamy texture which I love. Highest marks.

Drinkability: exceptionally drinkable. This beer is outstanding.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Pours a slightly cloudy pale gold with a wonderfully fluffy white head that persists throughout and leaves amazing lacing (enough for fortune telling).

S: Peppery Belgian yeast with cloves and hints of banana. From the influence of the label, I'd admit to some passionfruit as well.

T: Amazingly malty up front, the pepper and cloves reach a peak in the center, and the finish has hints of various fruits. Wonderfully complex!

M: Full bodied with a creamy head and a touch of warmth.

D: OK, at 9%, I can't drink many of these, but I sure would like to.

This is a great beer!
The smell is full of sweet deep and pleasant; i don't want to say "banana", but it has that spirit. It rests ever so softly on the back of the throat, with just a feel of the warmth from the alcohol.

It sits in the glass a very proud beer with a warm burnt yellow glow of many sunsets.

I love this beer. you get a killer body high that can only be enjoyed if your kicking back with old friends, or in the comfort of your home. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE WHEN DRINKING THIS BEER!

You will get a good buzz from this beer. Very mellow and relaxing.

I use a wide mouth glass and like to let it breathe a little. Maybe 5-7 minutes. It seems to air out nicely. If you are sitting in front of it while it breathes, you will be gifted with its almost spice like aroma.

I'm different, I like this beer cold. I uncap a bottle when it's very cold, and it maintains as a chilled beer throughout its existence. I have enjoyed this at room temperature also.

Enjoy!