Allagash Tripel Ale | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Tripel

This strong golden ale is marked by passion fruit and herbal notes in the aroma, with suggestions of banana and honey in the complex palate. The Tripel has a remarkably long and smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001

Ratings: 2,808 |  Reviews: 956
4.12/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served it in my own Orval glass.

Pours a hazy golden blonde with a sliver of soapy white scuzz foam, equipped with hundreds of populated bubbles. Hardly retained in its head formation.

Biscuity bread malts, tart apple fruits, candi sugar, pear, honey, apricot, perfume, cherry blossom, and a ride cymbal ring of rosey booze. Has both boisterousness and underlying delicacy.

Uppercut strength, chalky yeast dryness, honey notes, crabapple, apricot skin, floral hops, herbal notes of mint and parsley, and hints of white cherry. A super-dry yeasty tripel with lots of malty biscuit and crumb. Outstanding composition and deviance from the much sweeter and juicier nose. Powdery dry and cakey with a bounty of floral esters and hop notes. Representative of good Belgian Golden Ales with that Abbey yeast push. Gushingly good.

Medium to medium-heavy in the body. The booze creates even more existent oiliness. Slick, but playful. On the tongue, it kisses 'spicy' while going north to dry puckerdome.

It's been too long... I used to indulge in this particular beer by the pitcher-ful with good friends at my local pub before Allagash got chased from the market. Or, pulled out. Whichever the case, good memories pollenate with every sip. A worthwhile piece of drink.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: thick foamy white head, considerable haze, pale golden yellow color

Aroma: biscuity malt and zesty citrus with very subtle hints of pepper and coriander, slight clove nose, fresh and floral smell

Taste: zesty and peppery and a crisp and balanced swallow that slowly turns malty after a couple seconds. Great spice notes of coriander and black pepper with a little honey and citrus fruit tangyness.

Mouthfeel: playfully light bodied for a Tripel of 9.0% ABV. Crisp and zesty in the mouth with considerable carbonation.

Overall Impression: Light, zesty, fruity, and bubbly, this Tripel defies logic in its light bodied ness and supple flavors. Less malty on the drink but slowly building in notice ability after the swallow, the honey, light spices, and citrus flavors shine. Overall a nice and strong Tripel, but of much more refreshing quality than most. Very close to a Saison in body and citrus character.

4/5

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellow; small white frothy head, long lasting, good lacing

Smell: Citrusy (orange); cloves; Belgian Yeast; cloves; Candi sugar

Taste: Sweet malt on start with a quick hit of coriander and citrus; warming alcohol in mid; bittersweet finish with a bit of honey lingering

Mouthfeel: creamy and pretty carbonated

Remarks: Excellent beer overall; gets better as it warms

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is our second and last bottle from Allagash. We landed this beer in a trade. Tonight we are planning on reviewing two beers. This one and Red Stripe. Sheryl said we could do two, so I am pumped to knock two more off the list. We have so many bottles on the counter that we need to review. It's exciting. We have a few more coming in a trade. We are trade happy right now.

When we reviewed Curieux, I said I wanted to try the tripel not barrel aged. Here we go! I wish we had done this one first, but I didn't really care for the Curieux, so I am pumped to try this one. Oh, and Sheryl grabbed a few bottles of Stone Farking Wheaton Woot Stout from GCM. She grabbed 4 bottles of it. Can't wait to try that one, too. Let's drink!

In the Glass: That is what a tripel is supposed to look like. Tim Weable will appreciate this… I could smell the Brett as I was pouring this. I am not saying that is a bad thing, just pointing out that I could smell it as I poured. There is a really nice lace on this, too. I am talking stuck to the side of the glass and dishwashers beware kind of lace. I hope this delivers both on aroma and flavor.

Nose: I am getting some nice banana aroma here. The Brett is blatantly obvious, but the fruit really comes through. It also has a nice drying thing going on. I am just impressed with the fruity aroma going on here. Maybe some mango? Reminds me of Piraat. Only that smells like carbonated pineapple juice.

Flavor: Pumped for this. That is WAY, and I mean WAY better than the Curieux. There is a nice subtle sweetness here, and the flavor is insanely complex. You would never know this is 9% ABV. That could be dangerous, too. It says, on the bottle, this is batch #193. I wonder how many batches they brewed/bottled of this. Still makes me mad we can't get Allagash beers here.

I bet this really opens up as it heats up, too. The Brett is actually nice. Tim… you're welcome!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice and thick, with very little carbonation. If someone handed me a glass of this, I would think it was a wheat beer and wonder where the orange was. I must say, out of all the Belgian styles, I like a tripel the best. A good quad room temperature is nice… but a the sweetness of a tripel wins me over time and time again.

Aftertaste: I wish the sweetness lasted a little bit longer, but it sticks around forcing me to take another drink. We landed a bomber of this, but they also sell this in 6 packs. Also, according to BeerAdvocate, this beer has an alias.

In the future, when setting up trades, I am going to ask for all of the beers from each brewery we trade for. I did that with Allagash by accident. I think, with the trade that I did with Erick, we did that with the Lost Abbey beers. Not sure. Anyway, the Allagash Tripel is great. Sheryl liked it, too. This is a good example of a Belgian-style tripel from a great brewing company. Cheers!

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%

This Tripel is a bright medium-dark gold that shines, surprisingly clear, with a clean white head on top rising to one finger and slowly dropping to heavy foam. There's a good amount of stick to it, as lacing is dropped in moderate to heavy spotting that spreads a little legging around.
The smell is as potent as a trappist-brewed ale and displays white fruits flesh and skin, a bit of clove-like soft spice, and some floral notes. It's a little bit bready in the malts.
The same characteristics can be found in the flavor with the distinction that, initially, it almost seems hoppier than a typical trappist. Otherwise it's got all the fruit and breads and some honey notes, and the clove comes through. This is a very good American version of the style, though there's something deeper and more complex I get from a few others.
The mouthfeel is soft and creamy in a light to medium body. The spiciness translate to a nip in the feel. Carbonation reaches that balance of making it creamy smooth willing foaming too much.

Allagash Tripel Ale from Allagash Brewing Company