Allagash Bourbon Barrel Black | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Our Belgian Style Stout, Black, aged for one year in bourbon barrels. The toffee,chocolate and coconut nose is followed by a smooth bitter chocolate and bourbon flavor. The finish is dry, roasted and warming.

Added by rye726 on 03-04-2009

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

A: Very dark brown with a good golden brown head.

S: Some oak, vanilla, a sweetness is also there.

T: As with the smell some oak, vanilla, a sweetness, drinks like a very bold porter. A great balance between earthy and sweet with some great hits at both.

M: Sits great with perfect carbonation and good flavor development. Alcohol cuts through over time but that takes a while.

Overall an amazing beer. With a great mouthfeel and a taste that is (to steal Armin Van Buuren's adjective) massive! No harsh notes whatsoever and the alcohol is so well hidden it's amazing. I think this is a limited release.... or maybe only on tap. Anyway that's sad because this beer is one of the best I've ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

I am sommelier and have worked with fine wines for 10 years. I never could quite appreciate beer until after I developed my palate with wine. From my wine knowledge came my love of craft beer and intelligence to recognize the flavor profiles that are omnipresent in beer, translating to bliss on my palate. This beer to me was like sipping a '65 Margaux, only cheaper and more fun to evaluate. The bottle/label itself screams drink me and when you start to pour it you are overwhelmed with a rich, bourbon-chocolate aroma. The aroma also included a sweet cream of coconut and butter. I poured mine into a lightly chilled snifter because I wanted to evaluate the beer at different temps, and as the beer warmed the better it got. The appearance is rich chocolate brown with a steady lacing and thick toffee head. The flavor is impressive, but a little hot at first. The vanilla tones really help balance the beer on the palate, while the roasted citrus, oak, chocolate, plum, and coffee complete the journey around the tongue. Very rich and creamy, almost enough so serve over ice cream. For being as dark as it is I was expecting more body but was incredibly satisfied with its medium body and velvety smoothness that lingered delightfully for a while. Very rounded, full, and balanced beer, truly remarkable. I decided to pair this beer with a dry-aged prime rib eye, which turned out to be the right choice as the rich fatty meat complimented the deep flavors of the beer and the aged authentic balsamic I used brought out the sweetness of the brew. I highly recommend this beer and am now spoiled by yet another fantastic Allagash creation.

Allagash Bourbon Barrel Black from Allagash Brewing Company